Welcome to Gaia! ::

Selway
Christica
Selway
0x-Yuna-x0
Christians, Catholics,

Christica
Christians/Baptists/etc.

This is redundant, you are redundant. All Catholics are Christians, all Protestants (Baptists being singled out in this example) are Christians. Just saying Christians will be fine in future sweeping generalizations : )
*shakes head* There's a difference between each, just like there is a difference between Wiccans and Pagans. "A Wiccan is Pagan but a Pagan is not Wiccan", so to speak.

A Wiccan is a Pagan but not all Pagan's are Wiccan is what you're looking for in that analogy. There are differences between Catholics, Baptists, Jehovah Witnesses, Lutherans and what have you but the point still remains these groups are all Christian. Saying Christians/Baptists/etc. is like saying cheese/gouda/swiss/etc. when you just mean all types of cheese. It's clear from your comment you meant all Christian sects so there was no need to give examples.

I think it would be more accurate to say that Catholics are Christians and the other denominations are heretics.
MrsDestructo
Lol Fundamentalists.

My first thought exactly.
How did you go about telling her you're an Atheist, exactly?

Christianity's primary defense mechanism against stuff like this is to implant fear into the non-believer. Your mom, the church, the bible, etc. have all been doing that to you from a very young age. The first lesson in Christianity is "Believe or you will go to hell". It's something that even small children can understand. It's a bit sickening, actually, but my point here is that your mom probably just flipped out like that because she's essentially been taught by the church that that's how you handle people disagreeing with your faith. The only real argument they have against even a simple, "I disagree" is, "Well that's unfortunate because now you're going to burn in a pit of fire".

She's probably geninely scared that you are going to burn in hell, though. She's acting out of fear for your safety more than anything. What you have to do is tell your mom how she's making you feel by flipping out like this, and then try to explain to her why you don't believe in Christianity. Basically make her understand that it hurts you to have to pretend to believe in something that you don't, and that there's no way she can force you to believe in god, so it's kind of futile to keep shoving all this stuff down your throat. If you can reach some kind of mutual understanding, then there's a chance you can still live civily at least. Though I'm guessing you'll still have to go to church regardless.
Good luck to you, really. I find it ridiculous that so few christians actually follow the teachings of their savior. If she was a big a christian as she says she was, she would've loved you and accepted you regardless.

There are quite a few people in the same boat as you, keep your chin up. You'll make it out fine.
christian religion is nothing but hypocrisy, saying one thing but doing another thing entirely. best thing to do is ignore her, if she can't grow up and accept you for who you are then she obviously didn't mean a word she said before.
Selway
0x-Yuna-x0
Christians, Catholics,

Christica
Christians/Baptists/etc.

This is redundant, you are redundant. All Catholics are Christians, all Protestants (Baptists being singled out in this example) are Christians. Just saying Christians will be fine in future sweeping generalizations : )

Ohh okay, thank you for the correction smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces