Welcome to Gaia! ::

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

They seek nothing. Random strangers are always busy doing there own thing. Im not saying dont speak to them, but try to keep conversation based on the context of the situation.

I asked that poorly. I certainly don't intend to speak to random people for absolutely no reason. Let's say two people in a bar or at an event are talking to each other. What do they want?

Everyone is different. You find it out by talking.

But i take it that you want a simple answer. They want to be aknowledged
Theallmightypoe

I don't want simplicity at the cost of inaccuracy. I think I figured out what my real question is.
The rules that I follow tell me: don't talk to strangers. It's annoying. But, as everyone starts as strangers, this rule is clearly not universally true. What are the exceptions?

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

I don't want simplicity at the cost of inaccuracy. I think I figured out what my real question is.
The rules that I follow tell me: don't talk to strangers. It's annoying. But, as everyone starts as strangers, this rule is clearly not universally true. What are the exceptions?

I hate to burst your bubble but, there are no rules. You can talk to whoever you want, whenever you want, however you want.

Granted, that opens up a bunch of different possibilities where the outcome can never be certain. But with enough practice you can get the right idea of how to talk to certain people in certain places.

Wheezing Codger

7,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
I don't get people much, either, but that's because I'm a self-destructive alcoholic screw-up who doesn't buy much into The Usual Sort of Thing.
Theallmightypoe

I hate to burst your bubble but, there are no rules. You can talk to whoever you want, whenever you want, however you want.

Granted, that opens up a bunch of different possibilities where the outcome can never be certain. But with enough practice you can get the right idea of how to talk to certain people in certain places.

Well... yeah, but what works? How do you become friends with someone you don't know?

Success story: I met a general today. I knew that he had neither the time nor the energy to actually care about me, but when he shook my hand and asked where I was from, a part of me believed him. He seemed genuinely pleased to know me. He exuded charisma.

So, keeping that in mind, I went to buy toilet paper. While she was ringing me up, I let her know about a problem with one of the gas pumps. Then, before I left, I said "Have a wonderful evening," with all the energy I could muster. Her response indicated pleasure, and perhaps a bit of surprise.

I must find a way to work with this.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

Well... yeah, but what works? How do you become friends with someone you don't know?

Success story: I met a general today. I knew that he had neither the time nor the energy to actually care about me, but when he shook my hand and asked where I was from, a part of me believed him. He seemed genuinely pleased to know me. He exuded charisma.

So, keeping that in mind, I went to buy toilet paper. While she was ringing me up, I let her know about a problem with one of the gas pumps. Then, before I left, I said "Have a wonderful evening," with all the energy I could muster. Her response indicated pleasure, and perhaps a bit of surprise.

I must find a way to work with this.

Youre learning, young padawan.
Theallmightypoe
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

So I am. smile

Back to friends, where do I go to find them? Also, sometimes when I witness something clever I feel the urge to share it with someone. I cannot figure out why. Any guesses?

Newbie Noob

Lonely loner is lonely. Friends aren't necessary for everything, but sometimes you want to lean on someone.
Everyone needs friends. Life is lonely without them.

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

So I am. smile

Back to friends, where do I go to find them? Also, sometimes when I witness something clever I feel the urge to share it with someone. I cannot figure out why. Any guesses?

You can find friends anywhere, its easier to find friends at places where you spend most of your time.

As for the sharing something clever, that's completely normal. We all do that in some form. My guess is that its a urge to give someone the same reaction you felt when seeing or experiencing that something. You know to validate you're not alone on the deepest level. But that's looking waaay deep into it.
Theallmightypoe

You can find friends anywhere, its easier to find friends at places where you spend most of your time.

As for the sharing something clever, that's completely normal. We all do that in some form. My guess is that its a urge to give someone the same reaction you felt when seeing or experiencing that something. You know to validate you're not alone on the deepest level. But that's looking waaay deep into it.

Er... could I get something more concrete with that please? I spend all my free time cooking, writing, or studying in my room. I have no idea where else I would even go. Like, what do people do with each other?

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. It certainly explains why I don't have much of a desire to share a hilarious Pearls before Swine strip as I do an elaborate and stupid pun about the Pythagorean Theorem. This seems like something I could use, if I could just figure out how....

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

Er... could I get something more concrete with that please? I spend all my free time cooking, writing, or studying in my room. I have no idea where else I would even go. Like, what do people do with each other?

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. It certainly explains why I don't have much of a desire to share a hilarious Pearls before Swine strip as I do an elaborate and stupid pun about the Pythagorean Theorem. This seems like something I could use, if I could just figure out how....

Honestly, you should figure out that first part on your own, howevet, if you insist, try finding classes or groups that cook, write, ot study. When in a group engage in small talk and be helpfull, dont forget to be friendly.
Theallmightypoe

Honestly, you should figure out that first part on your own, howevet, if you insist, try finding classes or groups that cook, write, ot study. When in a group engage in small talk and be helpfull, dont forget to be friendly.

Okay, let's assume I belong to such a group. How do I escalate from "fellow group-member" to "friend," and what does that look like?

Savage Entrepreneur

12,725 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Reborn Fox
Theallmightypoe

Okay, let's assume I belong to such a group. How do I escalate from "fellow group-member" to "friend," and what does that look like?

it's gradual. You talk to someone. You help someone. They help you. You guys talk about things other than what you're doing. You guys end up doing something later. its kinda like dating, minus the sexy time.

Hilarious Prophet

Hey, I know that people can be difficult to understand too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff