Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I don't know were to go to anymore to ask for advice.
So I will try here.

I started acting 3 years ago after meeting an drama teacher when I did a animation course for 2 years. I stopped animation because I felt it wasn't me and I lost my confidence in it. Anyway this actor teacher he is from England and he says he has worked in Harry Potter were he train these kids to act the three main characters but the Producer picked his nephew to be Harry Potter at the end. He also says he worked in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Deep in it.
So I thought to myself well he must be legit. Everything was fine and I did student short films for practice etc. So I've never been in a professional or some what professional set. So when my drama teacher wrote a script for me to act in. That's when everything just went down hill from there very slowly. It all started with my voice. He said my voice was bad and it needs colour and my accent doesn't work on tv or film. So he gave me voice excises which I did every day. I found my voice box hurting every time I did the voice excises. He told me to say the ABC like 2 hours or hour. Etc. Anyway back to the short film. There was one scene in the short film were you can't hear me very well. The Sounds Man he wasn't good with his Sound. (Because we found out the second time when I was involved a short film and he was the Sounds Man. ) I also found out he was smoking weed so he was high on the job. My drama teacher picked him to be Sounds Man. Anyway my drama teacher never consider just maybe it was Sounds Man he just blame it all on me and that my voice was bad etc. He never thought maybe there was two factors playing a role in this. 1) my voice 2) sounds man didn't do a good job. He told me in an acting lesson about this and how he went to someone who did a tv series back in the day and they watch this scene were I was talking from that short film. And the guy say oh yes there voice is bad. He also told me months later when he went to England due to family issues he meet Johnny Depp's agent and they say my voice was bad and they never pick me because of my voice but they saw potential.that I can't be model because Im short. ( though I never wanted to be a model in the first place) At the end we used my boyfriend's brother's radio sound recording to do it. My drama teacher was there and I felt so under pressure all words running in my head I wasn't good enough. My drama teacher kept saying do it again. Can't you hear the words you are saying aren't clear. Etc. But what I felt more helpful was my boyfriend and his brother just telling me to keep calm and you can do it. Then my drama teacher told me to stop listening to them and listen to him. At the end the voice over was bad in my view because there was so emotion.He was so focus on the voice being clear that he forgot to direct me through emotion. But at the end he told me to say the words separated. I believe that's why it sounded like a robot. I don't know if he ever picked that up himself. Anyway there were other things such as there was a scene in the short film that was filmed were my dad's lives and the house was a bit run down. And usually you kept those things to yourself if someone house is a bit run down it's just being polite. But my drama teacher told me and others that when they moved the sofa there was a cockroach. That the room we were filming in was damp. That the bed seem to have broken strings. Etc. there were other people older and younger than him that didn't said anything. When I had another acting lesson with him he was saying "Oh I bet everyone got home and wash themselves". Ok so back when we were filming at my dad's place we went over time and everyone needed to go home so they left.
He also picked on this girl who was the Production Manager. I recalled when he told her she had a big nose and she looked very offended.
There was also one situation because my boyfriend was filming the short film. After we finish filming I was helping my boyfriend and one other guy in the crew was helping too. To put the camera gear in the car. But then the crew guy left and everyone hop into one car and drove off and left us putting all the camera in the car. It was late at night too.

After all this my drama teacher blame me as to why the filming didn't went smoothly.
For example he said to me that the main actor sets the tone of the film set. That it was my fault why everyone left after we filmed over time etc. I felt very bad and guilty.
Though my boyfriend who has directing classes with him as well my acting classes together. He said it was my first some what professional film set the rest I was on was student films.
Still he didn't take this to account. When we had this mini premier to the short film and he had his speech he did not say thank you to me nor my boyfriend filming. Instead he kept on praising this one supporter actress friend the whole time. Yet he told me in one of my acting classes out of the blue that he wasn't impressed with her acting. So I dunno. But the short film premier wasn't far from his house it was like maybe 20 mins and me and my boyfriend live like over side of the bridge so it be like hour and half to get there. So he asked to be picked up. He has his own car. He has two cars actually. Yet he expects us to pick him up. My boyfriend is a bit of please people. Though he is getting over that now. But yeah and before we watch the short film his wife and kid drove! Over there to watch it!
Then after the short film he asked my boyfriend to drop him off home? Which he did.

Ok so that's one situation. Forward a year later.

My drama wrote a script for my boyfriend to direct and he put me as main character.
As there was no dialogue accept for the voice over.
Ok so anyway I stopped going to drama classes due to money issues.
So after a long time from not going there we went there to the house to try our costumes on with our costume designer and make up artist.
For some reason it had to be at his house though most of us lived on the other side of the bridge. Anyway when I got there I felt this sense of "not good enough" feeling.
There was one point were my drama teacher who was acting in it too was about to say to these two film crew members how bad my voice is. But quickly I changed the subject.

He also asked that friend who acted in the other short film who is acted in this short film too. To pick him up to take him to one of the locations we were filming at. I could tell on her face she didn't want too. She was also acting in at the same location anyway.
My drama teacher also demanding one of the crew members to pick him up and take him to the location.
He also picked on this poor girl who was her first time on the crew art department set.
He kept calling her names and saying things. I notice this but said none thing until the lady that was in charge of art department told me about it. I then realise it was the exactly the same behaviour he did with the production manager on the other film.
The art department lady told me that he is being a pain. Because we were filming in a restaurant so she was making sure that the plates and spoons and etc were continuity for each film shot we take. But he kept missing them up. For example she told me she removed a plate from off the table and he went and put the plate back down on the table. She was about to grab it and removed it but he took it and refused to give it back. Eventually he did. Then he went off to my boyfriend who was directing and said "Hey can I have this plate there"? My boyfriend was busy with other things sorting out shots so he was unaware what was going on. So my boyfriend said "Yes".
In the restaurant we were gonna have a food fight and out of the blue my drama teacher told me he is not going to clean up after the mess. Yet his character is going to create the food fight. And yet he told me in acting classes always help out after messes and stuff. Well he did not help out clean up the mess he just went off home. But one of his acting students who was an extra helped to clean up the mess.
He also interfere telling my boyfriend how to film a shot but my boyfriend already sorted how to shoot like ages ago. Also again my drama teacher told us how in the other short film he did not like this one person telling him how to shoot.
I over heard some of the film crew saying he was a drama queen etc. I think he pisst off a lot of the film crew.

Also just off note.
I was asked to do this audition for this add. I told my drama teacher and he assumed I be ok with it. I learnt my lines. But when it came to the audition everything turn into rubbish. The guy told me I did not said these two words right and that I need a drama teacher. I was thinking but I do go to a drama teacher. I was very upset.

So yeah there you have it. I feel like I can't do my acting anymore. I feel like Im not good enough. Because anything I do there is always going to be something wrong.
I feel like I have to please my drama teacher.

Any advice or views?
If the teacher is actually legit you should be able to look him up. If you cant find any info on him working these big hollywood movies and with A list actors then he is lying. I suspect it to be the case because anyone who as worked professional jobs would know how to be professional to others, and he has issues doing that. He also has no car for some reason??

Dapper Explorer

Quote:
he says he has worked in Harry Potter were he train these kids to act the three main characters but the Producer picked his nephew to be Harry Potter at the end

Okay that's bullshit no. 1 right there. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't even any family relations with the producer at all. They didn't even meet each other until the producer asked him to audition for the role.

II Earl Grey II's Darling

Id say hes a liar and you need to find you a new teacher.
Even if he is for real, he is a crappy teacher.
Report him and his behavior to the school.... Or to someone else if he is doing this on his own. ><
...Is this guy even legit. Like seriously.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
DefauIt
Id say hes a liar and you need to find you a new teacher.
Even if he is for real, he is a crappy teacher.
Report him and his behavior to the school.... Or to someone else if he is doing this on his own. ><

Its not a school its a private classes at his house. For an hour.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Your teacher is a liar and not very good at it. Quit his classes and report him for fraud.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
klein_eine
Your teacher is a liar and not very good at it. Quit his classes and report him for fraud.

I know this sounds naive but how can you tell he is a liar?

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
BATCATGIRL
klein_eine

Look up information about Harry Potter. I don't think the producer choose his nephew. It just seems off. The fact that he is basically verbally abusive towards his students makes me think he is a compulsive liar on the verge of a mental breakdown. He knows Johnny Depp and feels the need to flaunt that to everyone. That could mean he had never met Depp or that he may have saw him once in passing and is completely exaggerating.

Intellectual Businesswoman

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
klein_eine
BATCATGIRL
klein_eine

Look up information about Harry Potter. I don't think the producer choose his nephew. It just seems off. The fact that he is basically verbally abusive towards his students makes me think he is a compulsive liar on the verge of a mental breakdown. He knows Johnny Depp and feels the need to flaunt that to everyone. That could mean he had never met Depp or that he may have saw him once in passing and is completely exaggerating.

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing my a** off over here, not at you OP but the teacher. It's like what the previous girl had said. Daniel Radcliff is in NO RELATION TO ANYONE that did Harry Potter.(Harry Potter fanatic that has done her various college papers and research) I mean he was in a bath tub taking a bath when he found out that he got the part and didn't even know anyone when he went to audition for the part. Plus always always ALWAYS look anyone up in either the Writers/Actors guild, IMB, and other various actor/writers profiles and bio's to see just what kind of person you are going to be learning from.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Can we discuss more on the issue than Harry potter
Harry Potter IS a big part of the issue, though. Radcliffe aside, the fact that he's throwing down these big projects at you (HP, Johnny Depp) is a huge red flag to me. If he was working for these kinds of companies, he wouldn't be training people out of his house. Hell, even if he DID do work on major productions (which I doubt he did), he must've been quite s**t at it if he's taking in regular people, for lessons out of his home. He would be making way more money training Hollywood elite and rich suburban mommies with their next child star if he had ANY sort of legitimate credentials. If he worked on those projects he listed at all, he was probably the coffee boy who's now exaggerating to scam people like you.

But above all, I am going to tell you to never go to another one of his lessons for this reason: He is destroying your vocal chords. If he's making you recite things for hours (and personally, as someone who did theatre for years I've never heard of repeating the ABCs for hours as good vocal exercise and annunciation practice) to the point that it hurts, he knows nothing. You WILL damage your vocal chords if you keep doing that for extended periods. Professional actors are often even discouraged from speaking more than absolutely necessary before a big show to keep their voices in good shape.

If you want to do theatre, go for it! It's a lovely dream to have. But never pay this man another cent. He is scamming you for money, then further taking advantage of people by basically forcing them to give him rides and clean up his messes. My pregnant middle school drama teacher who was so hormonal she cried every class was still beyond more professional than him. He is taking your money, ruining instead of helping your voice, and belittling you so he can feel as powerful and big as he's lying to you about being.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
vitandra
Harry Potter IS a big part of the issue, though. Radcliffe aside, the fact that he's throwing down these big projects at you (HP, Johnny Depp) is a huge red flag to me. If he was working for these kinds of companies, he wouldn't be training people out of his house. Hell, even if he DID do work on major productions (which I doubt he did), he must've been quite s**t at it if he's taking in regular people, for lessons out of his home. He would be making way more money training Hollywood elite and rich suburban mommies with their next child star if he had ANY sort of legitimate credentials. If he worked on those projects he listed at all, he was probably the coffee boy who's now exaggerating to scam people like you.

But above all, I am going to tell you to never go to another one of his lessons for this reason: He is destroying your vocal chords. If he's making you recite things for hours (and personally, as someone who did theatre for years I've never heard of repeating the ABCs for hours as good vocal exercise and annunciation practice) to the point that it hurts, he knows nothing. You WILL damage your vocal chords if you keep doing that for extended periods. Professional actors are often even discouraged from speaking more than absolutely necessary before a big show to keep their voices in good shape.

If you want to do theatre, go for it! It's a lovely dream to have. But never pay this man another cent. He is scamming you for money, then further taking advantage of people by basically forcing them to give him rides and clean up his messes. My pregnant middle school drama teacher who was so hormonal she cried every class was still beyond more professional than him. He is taking your money, ruining instead of helping your voice, and belittling you so he can feel as powerful and big as he's lying to you about being.

He come from England so I thought since Harry Potter and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were film in England. So I thought he was telling the truth >_< and he said this first time when I did that animation course. xp
Can you explain to me as to why he would blame me for everything that went wrong with the first short film and as to why he picked on those two girls on different film sets?

Do you have any good vocal voice exercises? I found on youtube from National Theater.
BATCATGIRL
vitandra

He come from England so I thought since Harry Potter and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were film in England. So I thought he was telling the truth >_< and he said this first time when I did that animation course. xp
Can you explain to me as to why he would blame me for everything that went wrong with the first short film and as to why he picked on those two girls on different film sets?

Do you have any good vocal voice exercises? I found on youtube from National Theater.

Why he picked on you three, I don't know. Chances are he was frustrated about things not going right, and instead of owning that he was to blame he took out his frustration on people he considered easy targets. You weren't at fault, though, and don't let him make you think you were. He's simply a bad person and a horrible teacher who shouldn't receive any more money from you or anyone else. I would look up drama classes in your area, then google the instructors to see their qualifications.

This is a site for a Renaissance Festival, but it's pretty much all identical to the advice and warm ups I was given. Hope this helps! Enjoy!
BATCATGIRL

Are you trolling? There are so many red flags in your post that I simply cannot believe that you failed to recognize what kind of situation you put yourself in.

If you are being serious, my serious suggestion is: Cut contact with this guy. Drop him without mercy, hesitation, or regret!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff