Welcome to Gaia! ::

SpriteAddict
Some other sites to go to that are anti-peta or have information that questions peta:
http://www.anti-peta.com/
http://www.thisistrue.com/peta.html
http://holdinmygroin.tripod.com/
I agree that what peta does by euthanizing animals is wrong but i still support the other things they do. but i do not work for peta so i wouldnt know what they are actually thinking when they did that.

May i ask if you are a vegetarian if not i find that you are a hypocrite becasue you are condeming a group who euthanizes an animal which is painless, but you still support the idea of eating meat. What is your justification now?

Leather is not only unethical towards the animals, but it is harmful to the enviornment which may in turn affect our health.
hERE IS AN ARTICLE
Read the 3rd section it is about its affect on the enviornmeant and our health
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leather
While many people think it is cruel to kill animals for their fur, leather remains a popular consumer item, even though both products require the killing of animals. Most consumers mistakenly assume that leather is merely a by-product of the meat industry, and that buying leather clothing does not increase the number of animals slaughtered. However, this belief ignores the economic interdependence of factory farming and the leather trade.
In reality, leather is a co-product of the meat industry, generating significant profits for both factory farms and the leather trade itself. In fact, without the lucrative sale of animal skins for leather, factory farms would not even be able to turn a profit by selling meat alone. Ultimately, buying leather products subsidizes factory farms while providing financial incentive for them to produce more leather.

Where Leather Comes From

Most leather comes from cattle who are slaughtered for meat, worn-out dairy cows who no longer produce enough milk to be profitable, and veal calves whose soft skin is particularly valuable. Each of these animals suffers a lifetime of cruel confinement and is ultimately harvested for their milk and/or flesh. They also suffer from overcrowding, weather extremes, and lack of food and water on the long trip to the slaughterhouse, with many dying on the way.

Much of the leather purchased in the U.S. is imported from India and China, where conditions for animals are particularly cruel and the cows are so malnourished that they yield little if any meat. Old and sick cows are often forced to march long distances, then crammed tightly into illegal transport trucks that take them to the slaughterhouse. Upon arrival, handlers beat and torture weak and injured cows to force them to walk to the killing floor, then slit their throats while they are still fully conscious. Most clothing labels only specify where the product was finished, not where the leather came from, so if you purchase leather you may be supporting this extreme animal cruelty without even knowing it.

Other animals used to make leather include horses, sheep, lambs, goats and pigs who are raised and slaughtered for meat, as well as kangaroos, elephants, and sharks who are hunted specifically for their skins. In some countries, even dogs and cats are killed for their skins, yet because the products are deliberately mislabeled, consumers around the world unknowingly buy leather made from former companion animals.

Environmental Hazards

Not only is the breeding and killing of animals for leather cruel in itself, but the chemicals used in the tanning process – including formaldehyde, chromium, arsenic, and cyanide-based dyes and finishes – pose serious threats to both the environment and human health. Studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control found a higher incidence of leukemia among populations living near tanneries, and other research has shown highly elevated cancer rates among tannery workers.
Alternatives to Leather

Many fashionable clothing items and accessories are now made from synthetic materials rather than animal skins. Many non-leather items are sold in discount shoe stores, or you can shop online for an even larger selection. Check out www.veganstore.com, www.veganessentials.com and www.mooshoes.com for stylish non-leather shoes, handbags, wallets, belts and other accessories.
I've got nothing against people that want to have nothing to do with fur, But when the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals resort to terrorism to make their 'point', they kind of lose all affect on me.

tha;ts the exact reason i eat meat.
I should note here that there are two dairy farms in my family. One is quite major, and one just serves our area (Connecticut-Massachusetts, I believe).

I've been to both, and those cows have it REALLY good. xd

There's none of the dirty, abusive conditions you see in those videos.

Dairy farms DO get inspected, you know. confused

Lonely Lunatic

I do not model with fur and will not model with fur.
I don't model to earn a living, but I could not support the continual fashion of fur. "Fur is dead."

And people that are against animal rights because of small organized groups they don't like are assholes.
Justifying your actions purely because you are doing them out of spite, I mean, wtf? Really?
I'm not a PETA activist, but if you're going to just throw around numbers of dead animals, why not compare them to how many animals are killed for food and byproducts as well? Two wrongs don't make a right.
PETA killing animals has nothing to do with the morals and ethics of people still hunting and farming animals for fur.

O.G. Gaian

9,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
i figured synthetics would be much more harmful to the environment. just quoting someone on an LJ community who's words i believe in.

"The petrochemicals produced in making that non biodegradable garbage are HORRIBLE for the enviorment. The fur trade should be regulated, and designers should be familiar and intimate with their fur and hide suppliers, making sure that the animals are raised and culled in a humane fasion. Vomiting a bunch of plastic into this world is not the way to go."
I'm against PETA. I do not like them. Will never support them.

Personally, if you want to stand up for animal rights, do something with ASPCA. They are WAY more respectable than PETA will ever be.

http://www.aspca.org/

EDIT: I should put as a side note that I VERY VERY RARELY buy/own anything that's made from animals (not talking about food here, I eat meat). I try my damnest to not buy real fur, real leather and such. I'd rather buy something with fake fur on it if I want the "cool" look of real fur. Same goes with leather.
Buki
i figured synthetics would be much more harmful to the environment. just quoting someone on an LJ community who's words i believe in.

"The petrochemicals produced in making that non biodegradable garbage are HORRIBLE for the enviorment. The fur trade should be regulated, and designers should be familiar and intimate with their fur and hide suppliers, making sure that the animals are raised and culled in a humane fasion. Vomiting a bunch of plastic into this world is not the way to go."
i believe that leather does not degrade either becuase of all of the chemical treatment it had to undergo to be labeled as leather?
please justify me if i am wrong
and if so, then i would rather use synthetic materials because there was not violence involved
but i rarely buy those kind of materials so no problemo

Lily-livered Cutie-Pie

8,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
BOPINATOR
SpriteAddict
Some other sites to go to that are anti-peta or have information that questions peta:
http://www.anti-peta.com/
http://www.thisistrue.com/peta.html
http://holdinmygroin.tripod.com/
I agree that what peta does by euthanizing animals is wrong but i still support the other things they do. but i do not work for peta so i wouldnt know what they are actually thinking when they did that.

May i ask if you are a vegetarian if not i find that you are a hypocrite becasue you are condeming a group who euthanizes an animal which is painless, but you still support the idea of eating meat. What is your justification now?

Leather is not only unethical towards the animals, but it is harmful to the enviornment which may in turn affect our health.
hERE IS AN ARTICLE
Read the 3rd section it is about its affect on the enviornmeant and our health
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leather
While many people think it is cruel to kill animals for their fur, leather remains a popular consumer item, even though both products require the killing of animals. Most consumers mistakenly assume that leather is merely a by-product of the meat industry, and that buying leather clothing does not increase the number of animals slaughtered. However, this belief ignores the economic interdependence of factory farming and the leather trade.
In reality, leather is a co-product of the meat industry, generating significant profits for both factory farms and the leather trade itself. In fact, without the lucrative sale of animal skins for leather, factory farms would not even be able to turn a profit by selling meat alone. Ultimately, buying leather products subsidizes factory farms while providing financial incentive for them to produce more leather.

Where Leather Comes From

Most leather comes from cattle who are slaughtered for meat, worn-out dairy cows who no longer produce enough milk to be profitable, and veal calves whose soft skin is particularly valuable. Each of these animals suffers a lifetime of cruel confinement and is ultimately harvested for their milk and/or flesh. They also suffer from overcrowding, weather extremes, and lack of food and water on the long trip to the slaughterhouse, with many dying on the way.

Much of the leather purchased in the U.S. is imported from India and China, where conditions for animals are particularly cruel and the cows are so malnourished that they yield little if any meat. Old and sick cows are often forced to march long distances, then crammed tightly into illegal transport trucks that take them to the slaughterhouse. Upon arrival, handlers beat and torture weak and injured cows to force them to walk to the killing floor, then slit their throats while they are still fully conscious. Most clothing labels only specify where the product was finished, not where the leather came from, so if you purchase leather you may be supporting this extreme animal cruelty without even knowing it.

Other animals used to make leather include horses, sheep, lambs, goats and pigs who are raised and slaughtered for meat, as well as kangaroos, elephants, and sharks who are hunted specifically for their skins. In some countries, even dogs and cats are killed for their skins, yet because the products are deliberately mislabeled, consumers around the world unknowingly buy leather made from former companion animals.

Environmental Hazards

Not only is the breeding and killing of animals for leather cruel in itself, but the chemicals used in the tanning process – including formaldehyde, chromium, arsenic, and cyanide-based dyes and finishes – pose serious threats to both the environment and human health. Studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control found a higher incidence of leukemia among populations living near tanneries, and other research has shown highly elevated cancer rates among tannery workers.
Alternatives to Leather

Many fashionable clothing items and accessories are now made from synthetic materials rather than animal skins. Many non-leather items are sold in discount shoe stores, or you can shop online for an even larger selection. Check out www.veganstore.com, www.veganessentials.com and www.mooshoes.com for stylish non-leather shoes, handbags, wallets, belts and other accessories.
I am condeming PETA for the actions they do. They are terrorists. I have no respect for people who fund money to violent activists that bomb places. I do not have to be a vegetarian to care about animals. My reason wasn't to bash her. My reason was to educate her on the evil of PETA.

ASPCA is WAY WAY WAY better than Peta.

Aspca always euthanizes at the last resort. Eating meat is a part of my diet. I am an omnivore.
I have every right to choose the way I eat like you choose. So don't bash me when I didn't even bash vegetarians.

I am saying that they are killing so many animals when they could be saving them. That is my point. So please take your peta bullshit and leave me alone.
First of all, do you know what your message under your home shot says? It says, "I would rather be naked, then wear fur." I think what you meant to write was, "I would rather be naked than wear fur." Two completely different things.

Second of all, were you going to use that shot you took at an interview? It's really unprofessional and I don't recommend presenting that to ANY agencies.

And finally, a starting model should NEVER be picky. Maybe modelling isn't for you.

Lily-livered Cutie-Pie

8,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
`dagon
I do not model with fur and will not model with fur.
I don't model to earn a living, but I could not support the continual fashion of fur. "Fur is dead."

And people that are against animal rights because of small organized groups they don't like are assholes.
Justifying your actions purely because you are doing them out of spite, I mean, wtf? Really?
I'm not a PETA activist, but if you're going to just throw around numbers of dead animals, why not compare them to how many animals are killed for food and byproducts as well? Two wrongs don't make a right.
PETA killing animals has nothing to do with the morals and ethics of people still hunting and farming animals for fur.

First of all I am not throwing numbers around. I did alot of research through the internet, so I did not pull that out of my a**. What I am saying is that she shouldn't be doing it for PETA. I am all up for anti-fur. I never wear real fur at all. Food and clothing are two different things. More people need food than fur ok? So don't even bring that into the mix. I don't know why people are bashing me when I am not even bashing vegetarians/vegans. All I am trying to do is warn her what PETA is all about. PETA is not a good two shoes and is NOT a small activist group at all. And it isn't out of spite. It is for her to make a more educated decision. She makes the decision to go with them still and thats her business.

O.G. Gaian

9,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
BOPINATOR
i believe that leather does not degrade either becuase of all of the chemical treatment it had to undergo to be labeled as leather?
please justify me if i am wrong
and if so, then i would rather use synthetic materials because there was not violence involved
but i rarely buy those kind of materials so no problemo

leather can degrade. even though it's chemically treated you still have to take care of it because it's still skin (to keep that from happening, the retailer will probably tell you to either massage the area that gets dry using your natural oils or they give you some kind of lotion. i forget). if left untreated after a lot of use it dries up and cracks showing patches of wear (some people like that though). gonk

i guess this is where a synthetic leather (same material as tires? recycled ones i hope n_n) has its benefits because it doesn't have the same maintenance as real leather.

Gracious Flatterer

1,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
people are defined by their morals and values. In your career of choice , you are valued by how you look and not what you believe in. maybe you should consider a diffrent perfession if you want to help pull the weight finacially.
Folken Lacour de Fanel
I see nothing wrong with cultivating a sub-species of animal to make clothing for myself.

I prefer leather jackets over anything else. It's the only thing that properly keeps the wind from going through my clothing. The Cow didn't need the leather anyhow as the rest is already hamburgers, steaks, hot-dogs, and various beef products.

When animals start to talk any human language, I'll start thinking about different sources of food and/or jackets. Wool is another favourite of mine too... but leather is by far superior.

As far as the modelling, you still need to lose some weight... unless you're already a size zero, in that case the picture's at a bad angle... either way, not your best side wink

id be a sin to not wear leather when we eat so much meat.

I own like..all of Danier so I'd be a hypocrite to agree with you. :/

But you have to decide if you want modeling more than your beliefs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff