Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Rogue

Apparently if I was born male my name would have been Randall. -shudders- Oh how I despise that name...

I'm stuck with Taryn instead, which everyone seems to want to spell "Tyran" or "Tayrn" or even "Taran", including relatives. Some still haven't been able to spell it and i'm 21.
Granted, it's better than some names. I used to hate it because when you take the meanings of my first and middle name together it's the title of an old love song, or what I assume is a love song from what i've heard of it. (Here's a hint, Taryn means 'Earth'. Guess what my middle name is or means for internets points!)
I was picked on for being named Amanda a lot and grew to despise the Amanda Show for reasons other than the fact that it was unfunny (my last name rhymes with show). But when I moved toPrague everyone kept telling me they liked it. Ah the wonders of a country's population that hardly speaks English.

Gaian

F a y t h - x
Shithede.

User Image
"Nuh uh! Shithede? You've gotta be kidding. I know you are."

Black people need to read this thread.

Profitable Prophet

My friend knew someone named Jenna Tahlia.

Let that sink in for a second.
anna bandana
My friend knew someone named Jenna Tahlia.

Let that sink in for a second.

....God. rofl

I'm like "whats wrong with Jenna?
"Let that sink in for a second."
Uh, Jenna...Tuh-leah? No, that's not right. Jenna...Ta--oh.
my parents, for reasons that no one knows named my poor brother ( no we will not reveal the name.)
When he was old enough he went to court to have his name changed.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
GS Sailor Midnight
I'm not busting on the people who give their kids bad names but what happens to those kids when they grow up?

If they grow up around other kids whos parents called them something weird, they shouldn't have trouble making friends.

GS Sailor Midnight
If they were picked on through their lives, you think they would change it when they got older?

As an adult who changed his name, I think people should be encouraged to do the same thing for any reason they want. It doesn't have to be because others find it stupid; it can be just because the person dislikes their own title.

emotion_dowant I will be a cruel parent and name my kids Luke and Leia should I EVER get twins. Bwahaha.

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Kaiser Wilhelm ll
I was picked on for being named Amanda a lot and grew to despise the Amanda Show for reasons other than the fact that it was unfunny (my last name rhymes with show). But when I moved toPrague everyone kept telling me they liked it. Ah the wonders of a country's population that hardly speaks English.

You, sir, are a lucky man getting to live there. I'm jealous.

Anxious Lunatic

Read this story once about a girl who was working at a hospital at the time. Her job was to write the names of the newborn babies on the birth certificates. She ran across the name 'Renesmee Cullen'. The couple who had the baby were both 15.

Desirable Prophet

7,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I knew a girl named Yanely (yuh-NEL-lee). But it's pronounced juh-NEL-lee.

Dah fuq?

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
Unless there's a VERY good reason why your kid has a stupid name, it's just bad parenting. If there's a funky name and a good reason behind it, then the kid might appreciate it when the bad taste of school goes away. Otherwise, they'll hate you as a kid and more as an adult.

I guess there are countries that have limits on stupid names parents can give their kids, you know, for the kid's own good.

Here, it seems to now be a one-upsmanship on the weirdest name you can give your kid. It's about the parent's creativity, not the child's well being, and apparently, you're being a horrible parent if you name something normal that's been used repeatedly. Bad parents stick by the baby book apparently. It's like the hippie days all over again.

The names I can't stand above all else is location names. Unless you gave birth to them in that country or city, I think it's ridiculously stupid. Followed by obvious fictional references, brand names and things that are obviously things.
*only reads topic post*

Giving your kid a "unique" name is, more often than not, a blithely selfish act that will have very real effects on the child's life. People with uncommon names are less likely to succeed in the workplace and more likely to end up in prison. New parents need to stop trying to show off how "original" they are and actually think of their kids' welfare.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff