Welcome to Gaia! ::

Undead Enchantress

This is why I only wear one ear bud when I'm walking around.
Even if the music was maxxed out, ear buds don't get that loud I'm my experience. AND more than likely he was wearing the shitty ear buds you get with iphones, those things suck. No way he didn't hear the train.

Either:

The conductor never used his horn, and said he did to cover his a**

Or

That kid had the worst case of ADD I had ever heard of.

Dapper Loiterer

Honestly. Such a waste.
Keep one earbud out.
If he could not hear the train then his music was up to a ridiculous level, and would probably end up deft in the future anyways.

6,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Okay.. So im not trying to say this kid did it on purpose but....

You can hear a train from a mile away.. and not just the horn... trains are really loud without the horn. I dont think any volume of music could drown out a train.

but, if somehow music could be louder than a train blowing at you from feet away, the vibrations would definitely tell you a trains coming. I live like a mile away from some tracks and when a train comes, it vibrates the windows. So, the vibrations coming from the tracks while youre walking right on them would be extremely difficult to miss.
Sakura Latte
Lady Kariel
That is really sad, people should never walk around with earplugs in. It makes them so unaware.

I can walk around with both earplugs in and still hear/be aware of things. The problem with most kids is that they turn their music up way too loud, which in turn drowns out any outside noise. Meanwhile I have sensitive ears so I can only have my music up to no more than two bars.

Yeah most people prefer playing their music loud. That's why, as a precaution, it would be better they did not listen while walking around dangerous parts.

Shy Regular

6,450 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Signature Look 250
Those must have been some damn good quallity earbuds, to cancel out A ******** TRAIN HORN.. My beats earbuds dont even do that.. I have the Samsung S5, and I bike by the train with full volume and i still hear it loud and clear..

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Tragic, but seriously...his music had to be pretty damn loud for him to not hear a train horn.

Liberal Fatcat

Sakura Latte
Lady Kariel
That is really sad, people should never walk around with earplugs in. It makes them so unaware.

I can walk around with both earplugs in and still hear/be aware of things. The problem with most kids is that they turn their music up way too loud, which in turn drowns out any outside noise. Meanwhile I have sensitive ears so I can only have my music up to no more than two bars.

Not to mention there are alot of high quality noise canceling ear buds and headphones out there, so Im not ruling out he may have been using one. I tried on a pair of noise canceling headphones at an Apple store in my local mall, and as loud as the mall was, all I could hear was music being played. Nothing else.
When you have kids, have them watch the classic film, Stand by Me. Then they won't walk on train tracks.

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Natural selection at its finest.

Nonono, wait, wait--

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Prayers to the family especially for the mom letting him walk home.

Fanged Wyvern

20,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I really hope he was listening to something that made that whole situation Ironic...Like, the 'I like Trains' Song...That would have made me cry laughing, No matter how the kid's stupidity got him killed.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Charles Darwin
Got one!

lol Ah I'm going to hell for laughing at that....

But seriously, how loud was he playing the music? I mean even at the loudest setting you'd hear a train horn being blown, especially if it's right behind you. Hell, you'd FEEL it. And who walks along train tracks anymore, this ain't Stand By Me. Was dangerous then, is dangerous now. The whole situation was easily preventable on his part. I mean even if train companies erected a fence all along the outside of the tracks, people would still jump it and walk the tracks. I get it's a shortcut buy don't have to walk directly ON THE ******** TRACKS to take it. Walk in the gravel around the tracks, closer to where it meets dirt so you can't get 'surprise' hit by a damn train. And srsly if you get 'surprise' hit by a train it's your fault. Trains are slow, they are loud, they are huge and not hard to spot, and they have plenty of warnings at crossings. Only way you get hit by a train is if you purposefully get in it's way or willfully do something so obliviously stupid that would you get in it's way. It's not like they offroad it and hunt people down to hit 'em. You literally have to place yourself in harms way in the case of getting hit by a train, except in cases of the train derailing, which is rare as ********, and managing to do so at just the right time and place so as to hit you, which doesn't even have betting odds cuz it's that ******** rare. Just...ugh, this gives me a headache.

Lessons to be learned from this:
1) don't walk around so plugged into devices that you lose track of what is going on around you. Keep an earbud out, don't walk and talk (cuz some folks can't handle this, it overloads the system and they walk into cars and s**t cuz they don't have attention spans big enough to handle talking and paying attention to where they are going), a little detachment is okay but don't zone out to the point that you don't know where you are going and what's going on around you.
2) Don't walk on train tracks. Period. If you gotta travel in the same direction as the train, the farther away from the tracks you are the better. And they clear some pretty wide swaths for train tracks to go through so you have no excuse (and don't give me that 'but what about crossing the bridge?' bullshit. Go find the foot traffic bridge and stop being a dumbass).
3) Weigh the swiftness of the shortcut against the danger of the shortcut before taking it. If it presents any kind of reasonable danger (such as, I dunno, ******** TRAINS), do not take that shortcut. Srsly, the time you shave off taking the shortcut home won't mean s**t if you are DEAD.
4) If for any reason you may possibly be a dumbass (age, hormones, ego, whatever), err on the side of caution and take the proven safe route. Your good ideas aren't good. Accept this. Move on. Do the cautious thing. You can't enjoy life if you are dead, and you sure as hell can't cure yourself of being a dumbass. Trust the tried and true, eschew the imminent death for you.

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Extremely tragic.
Though, I wonder if we have a case of suicide instead. To me it seems more likely he heard the
train and just didn't get out of the way. Even with ear buds at full volume it doesn't seem practical
that he didn't notice or hear a train coming. Unfortunately, I think this was done with full intention
of being hit by a train.

Prayers to the family.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas