Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

--Sky Kid Tai--
Chibi Halo
          And to all of this here's what Marc Benioff CEO of Salesforce.com says about this new law.

Quote:
          Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff says he has canceled all his company’s events in the state of Indiana after its governor signed into law a bill that makes it legal for individuals to use religious grounds as a defense when they are sued by people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

And in an interview with Re/code, Benioff threatened the state with a “slow rolling of economic sanctions” if the law is not thrown out.

“We’ve made significant investments in Indiana. We run major marketing events and conferences there. We’re a major source of income and revenue to the state of Indiana, but we simply cannot support this kind of legislation,” Benioff said in a phone interview.

(Source)

And San Francisco becomes the first major city to ban using public funds for any travel to Indiana.

Quote:
          San Francisco will not use taxpayer money to fund any city employees' trips to Indiana in light of the state's new law allowing discrimination against the LGBT community.

In a statement released Thursday, Mayor Ed Lee (D) objected to Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which was signed by Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R) that same day and allows businesses in the state to cite religious beliefs as a legal defense. Many opponents of the measure fear it could offer legal protection for businesses to refuse service to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. Lee's statement reads:

Quote:
          We stand united as San Franciscans to condemn Indiana’s new discriminatory law, and will work together to protect the civil rights of all Americans including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

Effective immediately, I am directing City Departments under my authority to bar any publicly-funded City employee travel to the State of Indiana that is not absolutely essential to public health and safety. San Francisco taxpayers will not subsidize legally-sanctioned discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people by the State of Indiana.

(Source with Sources)

Hobby Lobby inspired law my a**. Pence did not do this because of Hobby Lobby. That's a huge cover story excuse and he knows it. He's going to lose Salesforce.com and he's going to lose the NCAA. I have no doubt the NCAA will leave Indiana if this is allowed to continue.

Why would they leave? Do the believe that now that this law is in power that they're going to start discriminating against their own employees and customers?

Because they would not financially support a state that wold foster an air of discrimination against their student athletes, employees, and the people who come to the state. The NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis and it would mean the loss of future revenue for the state if they did. They're concerned about what this could mean in the future because this law overrides laws put in place by several counties in Indiana to ban discrimination by businesses based on sexual orientation.

Here's what the NCAA had to say on the situation in Indiana now.

As someone who lives in Indiana this bill is just sad, and anyone who supports it is a retard. Let's open a history book real quick and see what religious discrimination can do for your people. Slavery, segregation, god's divine right leading to the trail of tears, murders, rapes, genocides, witch trials, etc. the list goes on and on. Laws like this can allow any religious dbag to deny service, even important s**t like life saving medicine. A person could be needing medical assistance but if they are gay they are out of luck. Atheists? Nah, Agnostics? No thanks. Muslims, Jews, any other fairytale bullshit belief that differs from your bullshit god? ******** em! Women need birth control or a medical procedure your bullshit belief disagrees with? Sorry skanks! Interracial couple? Screw em! This is a step backwards in the wrong direction.

Indiana already has religious crap laws (can't buy alcohol on Sundays, no abortion, antigay, etc.) we already are one of the shittiest states where 80% of the US has less class inequality. We are one of the poorist states, crime filled (we have Gary and South Bend, then above us is Detroit, and next to us Chicago.) We barely have tourism out of college football (Notre Dame) yet that's seasonal, and not as many are into it. (Our Football Hall of Fame was millions in debt and closed, it's not as broadly popular as it seems.) We have Gen Con, and the Indy 500 but that's about it. Passing laws that allow discrimination, as they said makes us look less hospitable, it's bad for business, bringing new stuff here, keeping the little stuff we have, and a turn off to your citizens and potential future citizens.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
*sticks a "No Colored People Allowed" sign outside storefront*

What're you gonna do about it? You've just set a legal precedent that I can do this now. No judge could reasonably deny someone the ability to discriminate based on race when you've given people the ability to discriminate based on sexual orientation. Although, I suppose some of you will claim either that they're totally different (somehow), or that we should just depend on the power of capitalism to keep bigotry from being widespread (which has worked SO well in the past). Uhg, some people just don't know how to learn from history. In some areas, it should be fine, but in a select few, you run the risk of gay people being literally unable to purchase anything anywhere but at a few large chains, should they be fortunate enough to live close to one. Oh, but "they can just move," right? Because that's fiscally feasible for everyone. lol
They Came to Kill GSK
--Sky Kid Tai--

The bill shouldn't exist because a person should be smart enough to choose not to do business with any organization that practices discrimination.

Yeeea, how did that work out for blacks when they tried it back in the day?

And that excuse is nothing but hyperbole and ignorance towards human intelligence. Can't believe I'm saying this, but its 2015. Time to move away from the 1950s.
Chibi Halo
--Sky Kid Tai--
Chibi Halo
          And to all of this here's what Marc Benioff CEO of Salesforce.com says about this new law.

Quote:
          Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff says he has canceled all his company’s events in the state of Indiana after its governor signed into law a bill that makes it legal for individuals to use religious grounds as a defense when they are sued by people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

And in an interview with Re/code, Benioff threatened the state with a “slow rolling of economic sanctions” if the law is not thrown out.

“We’ve made significant investments in Indiana. We run major marketing events and conferences there. We’re a major source of income and revenue to the state of Indiana, but we simply cannot support this kind of legislation,” Benioff said in a phone interview.

(Source)

And San Francisco becomes the first major city to ban using public funds for any travel to Indiana.

Quote:
          San Francisco will not use taxpayer money to fund any city employees' trips to Indiana in light of the state's new law allowing discrimination against the LGBT community.

In a statement released Thursday, Mayor Ed Lee (D) objected to Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which was signed by Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R) that same day and allows businesses in the state to cite religious beliefs as a legal defense. Many opponents of the measure fear it could offer legal protection for businesses to refuse service to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. Lee's statement reads:

Quote:
          We stand united as San Franciscans to condemn Indiana’s new discriminatory law, and will work together to protect the civil rights of all Americans including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

Effective immediately, I am directing City Departments under my authority to bar any publicly-funded City employee travel to the State of Indiana that is not absolutely essential to public health and safety. San Francisco taxpayers will not subsidize legally-sanctioned discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people by the State of Indiana.

(Source with Sources)

Hobby Lobby inspired law my a**. Pence did not do this because of Hobby Lobby. That's a huge cover story excuse and he knows it. He's going to lose Salesforce.com and he's going to lose the NCAA. I have no doubt the NCAA will leave Indiana if this is allowed to continue.

Why would they leave? Do the believe that now that this law is in power that they're going to start discriminating against their own employees and customers?

Because they would not financially support a state that wold foster an air of discrimination against their student athletes, employees, and the people who come to the state. The NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis and it would mean the loss of future revenue for the state if they did. They're concerned about what this could mean in the future because this law overrides laws put in place by several counties in Indiana to ban discrimination by businesses based on sexual orientation.

How is it being fostered? Has this law somehow made it mandatory that business must discriminate now? Seriously how does this in any way shape or form change the NCAA's (or any other organization's) business practices unless they were already planing to discriminate?

If they leave sure it'll cost state revenue, but if they wish to leave its their choice. Pence didn't make that choice, the people of Indiana didn't make that choice, its the NCAA's choice to stay or go. And if they go than they're responsible for the lost revenue, any potential loss of fan base in Indiana, and any lost jobs that result from them closing up shop here. And all because they believe this state and this law encourages discrimination and I can tell you after living here for over 20 years, neither of them do.

Lonely Wolf

Nemone
So can they also discriminate against African Americans or Asians or Jews or Atheists or whatever if their religion tells them to? rolleyes

What about telephone companies, transportation services, or companies that provide medical care? Do they have a right to refuse service? I don't think they would because they probably aren't that stupid but I wonder...

it's illegal for businesses to discriminate based on race. Your argument is invalid.

Time-traveling Senshi

--Sky Kid Tai--
Chibi Halo
--Sky Kid Tai--
Chibi Halo

Quote:

(Source)

Quote:

(Source with Sources)

How is it being fostered? Has this law somehow made it mandatory that business must discriminate now? Seriously how does this in any way shape or form change the NCAA's (or any other organization's) business practices unless they were already planing to discriminate?

If they leave sure it'll cost state revenue, but if they wish to leave its their choice. Pence didn't make that choice, the people of Indiana didn't make that choice, its the NCAA's choice to stay or go. And if they go than they're responsible for the lost revenue, any potential loss of fan base in Indiana, and any lost jobs that result from them closing up shop here. And all because they believe this state and this law encourages discrimination and I can tell you after living here for over 20 years, neither of them do.

It was Pence's choice to sign or veto the bill and he chose to veto it just like he chose everything else he's done to the state while governor. It's a damn good thing Indiana has term limits because he can only serve twice. This guy thinks he can be President from the sound of things but he's running his state into the ground with these laws.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
Culinary Master
Nemone
So can they also discriminate against African Americans or Asians or Jews or Atheists or whatever if their religion tells them to? rolleyes

What about telephone companies, transportation services, or companies that provide medical care? Do they have a right to refuse service? I don't think they would because they probably aren't that stupid but I wonder...

it's illegal for businesses to discriminate based on race. Your argument is invalid.

That's kind of my point. We aren't allowed to discriminate against people based on race or religion but we are allowed to discriminate against them because of their sexual orientation or self perceptions. There are indeed religions out there that have said that certain races are superior to others. And there are also people who believe that people of other religions are infidels, heathens, etc. But they aren't allowed to discriminate because of that. So why is it that just in this case that people can use their religion as a reason to discriminate? It's crap.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
See, the one thing I don't get, is how the hell does one know you are of certain religion in the first place? It isn't like you are going around with a neon sign over your head saying that you are Jewish or Muslim or Christain or whatever so how can one discriminate against a religion?

But with saying that also, if a lesbian woman walked into a shop she isn't going to have a neon sign over her head stating she is a lesbian either so how can anyone really discriminate anyone with or without this law?

The law is pointless, don't get me wrong, but at the same time it isn't like there can actually be any discrimination unless you know for absolute certainty that someone who walks into your shop is lesbian or Jewish or whatever, this bill is a problem anyway but it also opens up more problems then just the ones they now had with the passing of the bill.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff