Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Pence needs to die! Alright so that may be a little too harsh because in his little ol' book of holiness it states that thou shalt not kill but right now he has basically signed the States death certificate, so really, he has done the proverbial killing himself:

Quote:
The organizers of Gen Con, the city's largest convention in attendance and economic impact, are threatening to move the event elsewhere if Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial religious freedom legislation that could allow business owners to refuse services to same-sex couples.

"Legislation that could allow for refusal of service or discrimination against our attendees will have a direct negative impact on the state's economy, and will factor into our decision-making on hosting the convention in the state of Indiana in future years," said Adrian Swartout, owner and CEO of Gen Con LLC, in a letter sent to Pence just hours after lawmakers sent the measure to his desk.

Gen Con's website describes the convention as "the original, longest-running, best-attended gaming convention in the world!" The conference attracted 56,000 people last year to the Indiana Convention Center and has an annual economic impact of more than $50 million, Swartout said in the letter.

"Gen Con proudly welcomes a diverse attendee base, made up of different ethnicities, cultures, beliefs, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities, and socio-economic backgrounds," she wrote. "We are happy to provide an environment that welcomes all, and the wide-ranging diversity of our attendees has become a key element to the success and growth of our convention."

Gen Con is under contract to hold the conference in Indianapolis through 2020. Conference spokeswoman Stacia Kirby said there are no plans to break the contract. But the state's adoption of the measure would factor into future decisions, she said.

Chris Gahl, vice president of marketing and communication for Visit Indy, the city's tourism bureau, said the organization took a position weeks ago against the bill.

Gahl said Gen Con told Visit Indy about the letter before releasing it publicly. He said no other current clients have expressed concern but potential clients have emailed asking about the bill.

"Our concern is that there could be a misperception with this bill that doesn't paint a picture of being a warm, welcoming, hospitable place," Gahl said. "It doesn't align with the brand that is Indianapolis, and for that matter, Indiana. Because it could impact our ability to win convention business down the road — and keep convention business — we raised our hand and said we do have a concern."

Gahl noted, however, that 19 other states have a similar law, including Illinois. Chicago, Gahl said, is a top competitor of Indy's convention business.

The NCAA men's Final Four will be in Indianapolis next week. The NCAA also puts on the March Madness Music Festival, which includes the band Bleachers, whose lead singer, Jack Antonoff, has been outspoken in support of gay marriage.

"We are examining the details of this bill, however, the NCAA national office is committed to an inclusive environment," said a statement from the Indy-based organization.

Pence, who has said he intends to sign the measure, was undeterred by Gen Con's letter.

"The Governor has been clear on where he stands on this issue and we don't have anything to add at this time," spokeswoman Kara Brooks said.

Senate Bill 101 would prevent state and local governments from "substantially burdening" a person's exercise of religion unless the government can prove it has a "compelling interest" and is doing so in the "least restrictive" means.

Supporters say the measure would protect people and business owners with strong religious beliefs from government intrusion.

Opponents say it would license discrimination, particularly against gays and lesbians. They are mounting a last ditch effort to persuade Pence to change his mind.

The letter from Gen Con is similar to one last week from Salesforce, which said the measure could impact the company's decision to continue growing in Indiana.

The Republican-controlled Indiana Senate gave the measure final approval Tuesday afternoon on a 40-10 vote along party lines.

Source

Indiana has just lost hundreds of millions of dollars which means that Indiana is practically going to need money soon which means they will borrow but without a way to pay it back their going to be in s**t street more then they are now and not to mention how cruel it is to the homosexual/transsexual community, but hey, who cares right? Religion is WAY more important than any homosexual's feelings. rolleyes
Guy is a ******** cockhead of the highest caliber, but your title is highly misleading.

It allows businesses to deny services. It does not mean that there are going to be patrols around the borders forcing people out.
The argument is... Do you have a right to another person's property and labor because you decided to or because they offered it?

People against this bill are arguing that if they want to force another person into servitude, then they can as long as they don't offend the fact that you are gay.

A business should have the right to then away anybody for any reason. They should pass that as a bill instead of one specifically respecting religion.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Prince Aegon Targaryen VI
Guy is a ******** cockhead of the highest caliber, but your title is highly misleading.

It allows businesses to deny services. It does not mean that there are going to be patrols around the borders forcing people out.

The thing is, this is one article, i must admit, going by another it is also stating that he isn't allowing ANY gay person into his state, they are 'not welcome' there.
Nafretiti

The thing is, this is one article, i must admit, going by another it is also stating that he isn't allowing ANY gay person into his state, they are 'not welcome' there.

Please link to an article suggesting that the law will deny LGBTQ people entry to the state.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Nafretiti

Please link to an article suggesting that the law will deny LGBTQ people entry to the state.

I apologize I read the article wrong...I read the article I was talking about when I was half asleep, before doing more research into it after I had properly woken up and had coffee, I fail at life (little less so after coffee.) OTL
I'm laughing at all the organizations "concerned" for the consequences of this new law.

So what? You're planning to discriminate against customers and employees? Because if you aren't and don't discriminate to begin with, you don't have a single thing to worry about.

Fashionable Millionaire

14,625 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Not looking for a debate here, but as an Indiana citizen this makes me pretty sad. I understand what the law is trying to do, I really do, but it comes off as a law that is just begging to be abused by those who have the mindset to do so, at least in my opinion. I do agree with those against this law, not as a member of the LGBT community, but as someone who doesn't want pushed away by a business or service due to being Agnostic.

While I am disappointed Pence signed this, I'm also disappointed of potential changes that will happen to Indiana due to it (a good example being what the article mentioned, Gen Con threatening not to come to Indianapolis anymore).
This bill should have never even existed as a thought. Pence is a ******** idiot, allowing companies to discriminate against the LGBT community due to their religious views. While this was not his intent, this is essentially what he is allowing. I respect religious beliefs, but this world is too diverse for closed-minded thinking like this. As a member of the LGBT community who lives in Indiana, I say we need to resist.

STOP SENATE BILL 101!
TheSecondShadowrunner
This bill should have never even existed as a thought. Pence is a ******** idiot, allowing companies to discriminate against the LGBT community due to their religious views. While this was not his intent, this is essentially what he is allowing. I respect religious beliefs, but this world is too diverse for closed-minded thinking like this. As a member of the LGBT community who lives in Indiana, I say we need to resist.

STOP SENATE BILL 101!

The bill shouldn't exist because a person should be smart enough to choose not to do business with any organization that practices discrimination. The whole argument surrounding this bill on both sides is just out and out stupidity....

Hardcore Regular

There should be no law, you should have the right to refuse business to whoever you want that way it will force society to either endorse the store by shopping there or reject the store by not shopping there.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
logan the god of candy
The argument is... Do you have a right to another person's property and labor because you decided to or because they offered it?

People against this bill are arguing that if they want to force another person into servitude, then they can as long as they don't offend the fact that you are gay.

A business should have the right to then away anybody for any reason. They should pass that as a bill instead of one specifically respecting religion.
See there used to be no laws against discrimination. That was back when you could put up fun signs that said "NO COLORED ALLOWED". And if most or all of the businesses in an area decide they don't like a particular group, it makes it very difficult for the people of that group to get done things they need to do.

Benevolent Sex Symbol

Why are we in 2015 and people are still fighting for right that they should already have. What happened to respecting others past religions, ideas, lifestyles and heritage? This country was made on the ideals of Freedom, yet we've turned more into hate and oppression.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
So can they also discriminate against African Americans or Asians or Jews or Atheists or whatever if their religion tells them to? rolleyes

What about telephone companies, transportation services, or companies that provide medical care? Do they have a right to refuse service? I don't think they would because they probably aren't that stupid but I wonder...
Elraine Figarette
logan the god of candy

See there used to be no laws against discrimination. That was back when you could put up fun signs that said "NO COLORED ALLOWED". And if most or all of the businesses in an area decide they don't like a particular group, it makes it very difficult for the people of that group to get done things they need to do.

How long will it be before the "curse of Ham" is going to be claimed as a basis for bringing back Jim Crow under these kinds of laws?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff