Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Ratttking
Alchameer
[

So then do you also believe that everyone should use words like '******' and 'f*****t' ? Or any other derogatory term used to label someone? Words have different connotations depending on who uses it.
Yes, I believe that all words may be used by anyone. To believe otherwise would be racist.
i agree with you there.

Words only have as much power as we give them.

Remember in elementary school when a bully would call us names? Remember what our parent's or teachers would tell us, "Sticks and stones may break our bones but words can never hurt us."

I still go by that saying.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Alchameer
[

So then do you also believe that everyone should use words like '******' and 'f*****t' ? Or any other derogatory term used to label someone? Words have different connotations depending on who uses it.
Yes, I believe that all words may be used by anyone. To believe otherwise would be racist.
i agree with you there.

Remember in elementary school when a bully would call us names? Remember what our parent's or teachers would tell us, "Sticks and stones may break our bones but words can never hurt us."

Yup, I heard that phrase quite a lot, and it still holds true.

Off-topic, your sig is adorable! emotion_kirakira

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Ratttking
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Alchameer
[

i agree with you there.

I just wish more people remember it. It seems everyone gets offended at every thing that hear these days. Its actually getting tiring hearing people go on about how offended they are over something only they are making a big deal over.

& Thanks 4laugh

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Alchameer
[

i agree with you there.

I just wish more people remember it. It seems everyone gets offended at every thing that hear these days. Its actually getting tiring hearing people go on about how offended they are over something only they are making a big deal over.

& Thanks 4laugh

Offensensitivity. Not a new thing.

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Ratttking
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Sakura Takafumi
Ratttking
Alchameer
[

i agree with you there.

& Thanks 4laugh

Offensensitivity. Not a new thing.

I know. It just seems like it is with the whole internet thing.
Chahklet
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
I haven't considered The Daily Show to be comedic since Craig Kilborne left. If the show's producers lied to the fans regarding specifics of their appearance, then they have every right to sue and I hope they win their case.

I say if these pussies are too afraid to actually sit in the same room with a Native American while wearing sports gear, then it's time for the team to change their ******** name. Partially because it's offensive to assume that a Native American doesn't have the self control not to beat the s**t out of someone who ignorantly supports racism.
Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% surveyed found the name inoffensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

I find it amusing that these activists use the term "Indian". Maybe they'll get bored with redskin and move on to changing that.
Learn something new every day.

Then you'll love this. The teams name is because a good portion of their players when the team was founded WERE redskins, and the team was named by the owner in a sign of respect and honor to them.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Chahklet
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
I haven't considered The Daily Show to be comedic since Craig Kilborne left. If the show's producers lied to the fans regarding specifics of their appearance, then they have every right to sue and I hope they win their case.

I say if these pussies are too afraid to actually sit in the same room with a Native American while wearing sports gear, then it's time for the team to change their ******** name. Partially because it's offensive to assume that a Native American doesn't have the self control not to beat the s**t out of someone who ignorantly supports racism.
Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% surveyed found the name inoffensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

I find it amusing that these activists use the term "Indian". Maybe they'll get bored with redskin and move on to changing that.

Then you'll love this. The teams name is because a good portion of their players when the team was founded WERE redskins, and the team was named by the owner in a sign of respect and honor to them.
They were first called the Boston Braves and it was changed to Redskins shortly afterward to avoid confusion with the city's baseball team which your state eventually ended up with.. Do the Atlanta Braves get protests regarding their name? I know the tomahawk chop pissed off some folks who had nothing better to do with their time.

Tipsy Smoker

Old Blue Collar Joe
Chahklet
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I'll never trust that show again....

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Hmph, so much for freedom of speech.

That is gorgeous. In what way does it look more Chippewa than Sioux? Something to do with the feather doodad? Isn't it great that they're still holding a grudge centuries later? That's worthy of the Scots themselves, the type of Scot who still won't speak to a Campbell because of something nasty that clan did in 1692.
*headdesk*

You have nothing to be ashamed of, you didn't hunt them yourself. If we're going to feel bad about every mean thing our ancestors ever did we won't have time to do anything else. Should I feel bad that my Scottish ancestors were forcibly removed to Ireland by my English ancestors? Obviously each and every Englishman and woman had a direct hand in that. Other half of the family is German and we know how well they got along with the British, bombing each other back and forth.

Uh, how is Chippewa a shortened form of Ojibwe? Same number of syllables in each word and Chippewa has more letters.

You really had never heard the word before you were a teen? You said earlier that it gets thrown about a lot where you live, is that a relatively new thing then? I thought you were in your early 20s, so for a very old word to go from one you never heard to one you hear a lot in only a few years seems odd.

I thought squaw meant wife before now, but that's only sometimes when it is used as a suffix, very interesting looking up its etymology. The Abenaki word for queen, Kinjamesiskua, literally means King James' wife - the very badly dressed Anne of Denmark. Wonder if they use the same word for drag queens. mrgreen

Oh my god, that's terrible. Does anyone even know what the argument was about?

Oh no, it's not about what my ancestors did. This is one of the recent councils who supposedly started crap up. It originally started with Sioux members being insulted, yet in government documents, on maps, by people, the Lakota Sioux are called Sioux. Mainly because they are the descendents of three tribes; the Lakota, Nakota, and Dakota, and it was incredibly offensive to call them by the wrong name back in the day.

Chip-pewa (slide through the 'e' so there are two syllables) and O-jib-we (click a bit on the 'j' and 'uh' the end) are the same thing. If you speak them in a French accent it's like shortening Josephine to Josie.

I had heard of the team, and it was actually one of the high school's mascots before they were forced to change it back in the 90s, I think. (makes me wonder why the NFL gets away with it for so long) I never really paid attention to racism as a kid because it never seemed like a problem to me, until a friend of mine started dating a guy from farther north, and he had d**k friends who'd call her a redskin and insult him for dating her.

It's been over ten years? Now I have a wider social circle and I speak out more often. Also, as an awkward child, people were more interested in harassing me for other things, and my few friends were raised like I was; we'd swear with each other, but neeeeever in front of family. I literally got smacked in the face for flipping off a disposable camera on a class trip because "it's rude to the men and women who have to develop them."

lol. It does have a lot of meanings, but that's why it's offensive when non-natives use it and not when natives do. Peter Pan doesn't help the situation. One of my favorites movies has one of my father's most hated scenes in it.
Well, yeah, a group of Campbells killed 38 MacDonalds who had offered them hospitality and then burned down their homes which caused 40 women and children to die from exposure. It's called the Massacre of Glencoe. The hotel with the charming sign at the front desk is located in Glencoe. Seriously, what have they got against hawkers?

I had read that the Dakota language does not include the L sound, while the Lakota one does. Never heard of the Nakota before now.

OK, 10 years seems like a much shorter period of time to me. Time seems to speed up as I age...

Which version of Peter Pan? I adored the one with Jason Isaacs as Hook and Mr. Darling. Tinkerbell was a proper trashy b***h like she was in the books in that version, not the cloyingly sweet little imp she's usually presented as. Don't think they'll ever have Peter the right age, he appeared to be around 5 or 6 in the books - still had all his baby teeth and was smaller than any of the Lost Boys - but it might be hard to find a child actor that young who could pull off such a complex role. I'm guessing it's a scene with Tiger Lily that sets off your dad?

That... That's terrible. Holy crap that's a grudge well deserved.

They are separate tribes, but they were so similar people usually lumped Dakotans and Nakotans together anyway.

Disney, yup. "Squaw, get 'em firewood!" That ticked him off quick. That whole song, the stereotypes, the exaggerated drawing. The drawing doesn't bug me too much, though, when you look at it and realize that the only characters not exaggerated are the ones who are supposed to be real; Wendy, Michael, John, and their parents.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Hmph, so much for freedom of speech.

That is gorgeous. In what way does it look more Chippewa than Sioux? Something to do with the feather doodad? Isn't it great that they're still holding a grudge centuries later? That's worthy of the Scots themselves, the type of Scot who still won't speak to a Campbell because of something nasty that clan did in 1692.
*headdesk*

You have nothing to be ashamed of, you didn't hunt them yourself. If we're going to feel bad about every mean thing our ancestors ever did we won't have time to do anything else. Should I feel bad that my Scottish ancestors were forcibly removed to Ireland by my English ancestors? Obviously each and every Englishman and woman had a direct hand in that. Other half of the family is German and we know how well they got along with the British, bombing each other back and forth.

Uh, how is Chippewa a shortened form of Ojibwe? Same number of syllables in each word and Chippewa has more letters.

You really had never heard the word before you were a teen? You said earlier that it gets thrown about a lot where you live, is that a relatively new thing then? I thought you were in your early 20s, so for a very old word to go from one you never heard to one you hear a lot in only a few years seems odd.

I thought squaw meant wife before now, but that's only sometimes when it is used as a suffix, very interesting looking up its etymology. The Abenaki word for queen, Kinjamesiskua, literally means King James' wife - the very badly dressed Anne of Denmark. Wonder if they use the same word for drag queens. mrgreen

Oh my god, that's terrible. Does anyone even know what the argument was about?

Oh no, it's not about what my ancestors did. This is one of the recent councils who supposedly started crap up. It originally started with Sioux members being insulted, yet in government documents, on maps, by people, the Lakota Sioux are called Sioux. Mainly because they are the descendents of three tribes; the Lakota, Nakota, and Dakota, and it was incredibly offensive to call them by the wrong name back in the day.

Chip-pewa (slide through the 'e' so there are two syllables) and O-jib-we (click a bit on the 'j' and 'uh' the end) are the same thing. If you speak them in a French accent it's like shortening Josephine to Josie.

I had heard of the team, and it was actually one of the high school's mascots before they were forced to change it back in the 90s, I think. (makes me wonder why the NFL gets away with it for so long) I never really paid attention to racism as a kid because it never seemed like a problem to me, until a friend of mine started dating a guy from farther north, and he had d**k friends who'd call her a redskin and insult him for dating her.

It's been over ten years? Now I have a wider social circle and I speak out more often. Also, as an awkward child, people were more interested in harassing me for other things, and my few friends were raised like I was; we'd swear with each other, but neeeeever in front of family. I literally got smacked in the face for flipping off a disposable camera on a class trip because "it's rude to the men and women who have to develop them."

lol. It does have a lot of meanings, but that's why it's offensive when non-natives use it and not when natives do. Peter Pan doesn't help the situation. One of my favorites movies has one of my father's most hated scenes in it.
Well, yeah, a group of Campbells killed 38 MacDonalds who had offered them hospitality and then burned down their homes which caused 40 women and children to die from exposure. It's called the Massacre of Glencoe. The hotel with the charming sign at the front desk is located in Glencoe. Seriously, what have they got against hawkers?

I had read that the Dakota language does not include the L sound, while the Lakota one does. Never heard of the Nakota before now.

OK, 10 years seems like a much shorter period of time to me. Time seems to speed up as I age...

Which version of Peter Pan? I adored the one with Jason Isaacs as Hook and Mr. Darling. Tinkerbell was a proper trashy b***h like she was in the books in that version, not the cloyingly sweet little imp she's usually presented as. Don't think they'll ever have Peter the right age, he appeared to be around 5 or 6 in the books - still had all his baby teeth and was smaller than any of the Lost Boys - but it might be hard to find a child actor that young who could pull off such a complex role. I'm guessing it's a scene with Tiger Lily that sets off your dad?

That... That's terrible. Holy crap that's a grudge well deserved.

They are separate tribes, but they were so similar people usually lumped Dakotans and Nakotans together anyway.

Disney, yup. "Squaw, get 'em firewood!" That ticked him off quick. That whole song, the stereotypes, the exaggerated drawing. The drawing doesn't bug me too much, though, when you look at it and realize that the only characters not exaggerated are the ones who are supposed to be real; Wendy, Michael, John, and their parents.
Yes it was deserved, but when does it end? This happened almost 325 years ago, every Campbell who took part is long since turned to dust. There are people who miss out eating perfectly tasty soup because it is called Campbell's. My BF dated a girl with the last name Campbell when he was in hs, his mom tweaked when she found out, and he never told his grandmother her full name for fear of how much it would upset her.

Hmm. I've been reading about the Nakota. They split off so long ago into two more or less distinct tribes that their languages are barely or not at all intelligible to each other or to Dakota and Lakota people. Not a lot of speakers either, less than 200 for one of them.

Oh, the cartoon from the 50s. So long since I've seen it. Hook was a bit exaggerated in that one, he looked like a Hapsburg but he was supposed to be from the royal Stewart line and look exactly like Charles II of England except for his eyes which were bright blue. Did you see the live-action version from the early 2000s?

edit: just watched that clip, it's somewhat painful to do so, but I thought it was funny that the one being called a squaw is Wendy.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Yes it was deserved, but when does it end? This happened almost 325 years ago, every Campbell who took part is long since turned to dust. There are people who miss out eating perfectly tasty soup because it is called Campbell's. My BF dated a girl with the last name Campbell when he was in hs, his mom tweaked when she found out, and he never told his grandmother her full name for fear of how much it would upset her.

Hmm. I've been reading about the Nakota. They split off so long ago into two more or less distinct tribes that their languages are barely or not at all intelligible to each other or to Dakota and Lakota people. Not a lot of speakers either, less than 200 for one of them.

Oh, the cartoon from the 50s. So long since I've seen it. Hook was a bit exaggerated in that one, he looked like a Hapsburg but he was supposed to be from the royal Stewart line and look exactly like Charles II of England except for his eyes which were bright blue. Did you see the live-action version from the early 2000s?

edit: just watched that clip, it's somewhat painful to do so, but I thought it was funny that the one being called a squaw is Wendy.

I believe that grudges shouldn't last more than four generations, and by that I mean when the great grand baby's born it stops. What happens when any of them get married? Communal shunning?

Yeah, and when the reservation thing happened, the three officially became one again.

I've seen Hook? I think I know which one you're talking about, and I haven't seen that one yet. It was on tv the other day, but I don't like starting a movie I've never seen a half an hour in. Just watched Gravity and my mind is thoroughly blown... and completely terrified of space. That clip is pretty bad. Good song though. I hate it when something bad is catchy. sweatdrop

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I believe that grudges shouldn't last more than four generations, and by that I mean when the great grand baby's born it stops. What happens when any of them get married? Communal shunning?

Yeah, and when the reservation thing happened, the three officially became one again.

I've seen Hook? I think I know which one you're talking about, and I haven't seen that one yet. It was on tv the other day, but I don't like starting a movie I've never seen a half an hour in. Just watched Gravity and my mind is thoroughly blown... and completely terrified of space. That clip is pretty bad. Good song though. I hate it when something bad is catchy. sweatdrop
So this should have ended 200 years ago or more.

Oh OK. One group of the Nakota lives only in Canada tho, so are they part too?

No, Hook was bloody awful, even worse when you consider the high caliber talent involved in making it. It came out in '91, I'm talking about Peter Pan from 2003. Makes sense, I don't want to watch a movie I haven't seen that long into it. Actually I did once with Midnight Cowboy, great film but I still need to see the beginning.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff