Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Gawker

PH peacekeepers defied UN order to surrender
Quote:
MANILA, Philippines–The 40 Filipino peacekeepers who escaped a massacre on the Golan Heights early on Sunday defied an order from the United Nations ground commander to surrender their firearms, deciding instead to fight the Syrian rebels before fleeing their besieged camp, the military said on Monday.

Armed Forces of the Philipines Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang defended the decision of Capt. Nilo Ramones, the Filipino ground commander, to defy a valid order from the United Nation Disengagement Observer Force (Undof) commander to the peacekeepers to wave the white flag and surrender their weapons while negotiations for the release of 44 captured Fijian peacekeepers were going on.

Ramones cleared his decision with defense and military officials who were monitoring the crisis from Manila, Catapang said.

Catapang said the Undof commander gave vague and inconsistent orders to the peacekeepers, prompting Ramones to call Manila for consultations.

The military chief said Undof’s rules were not clear about the authority of the force’s commander to order peacekeepers to surrender.

“The Undof commander wanted to save the Fijians at the expense of the Filipino peacekeepers. But it’s not our fault that the Fijians were taken hostage,” Catapang said.

“What I mean is, our commander [wanted to] save the Filipinos first and then we would help the Fijians later,” he said.

Catapang said there was no assurance that the Filipino peacekeepers would not end up as hostages, too.

Muntinlupa Rep. Rodolfo Biazon, a former AFP chief of staff, asked the House of
Representatives on Monday to investigate the Golan Heights standoff to determine when UN peacekeepers could use force in self-defense.

“Although the incident turned out well for our peacekeepers, there are matters [that] should be looked into in order to come up with remedial measures or legislation to ensure their safety and security,” Biazon said in introducing House Resolution No. 1429 seeking an inquiry into the standoff in aid of legislation.

Al-Qaida-linked rebels

The Syrian rebels, believed to be from the al-Qaida-linked Nustra Front fighting the government of President Bashar Assad of Syria, spilled into the buffer zone between Israel and Syria on Wednesday last week and surrounded Undof Area Position 27 manned by the Fijians on the Syrian side of the armistice line.

The rebels demanded the peacekeepers surrender their weapons. The Fijians turned in their firearms then were seized by the rebels.

After seizing the Fijians, the rebels laid siege on Area Position 68, manned by 40 Filipino peacekeepers, and Area Position 69, held by 32 Filipino Blue Helmets on the Syrian side of the UN-controlled zone.

Standoff with rebels

The rebels demanded that the Filipinos hand over their weapons, but the peacekeepers refused and stood their ground, triggering a standoff.

At 6 a.m. on Saturday (noon in Manila), the rebels attacked Area Position 69. With help from Syrian troops and Irish peacekeepers, the Filipinos fought back then fled to safety on the Israeli side of the armistice line.

The rebels also opened fire on Area Position 68, prompting the Filipinos to return fire. They battled the rebels for seven hours, the military said.

The rebels called in reinforcements, but Syrian troops gave the Filipinos a hand by firing artillery rounds from a distance to weaken the siege.

Night fell and the rebels, unable to bear the low nighttime temperatures on the Golan Heights, retired to houses in the area.

The Filipinos seized the opportunity and slipped out of their camp at midnight carrying their weapons. They reached the Israeli side of the territory at 1:40 a.m. (about 5 a.m. in Manila) on Sunday.

Less problem for Undof

Catapang said that by defying the Undof commander, Ramones eased the UN command’s problem by avoiding a second hostage situation involving Philippine troops.

“For the Nustra Front rebels, weapons are symbolic. I said that for us Filipinos it was our honor that was at stake. I told the Philippine battalion commander that if he liked, he could donate the weapons of the Fijians. There are 400 Fijians there so they have more weapons than us,” Catapang said.

Catapang said the Philippine troops were asked to explain why they defied a valid order but he also wanted the Undof Force commander to explain his conflicting instructions that
compromised the safety of the Filipino soldiers.

He said it was still “being sorted out” in the United Nations whether what the Philippine contingent did was right or wrong.

Catapang said that Philippine national policy should prevail over any rules of engagement.
“I think [our decision was right] because [all of our troops] are safe now,” he said.

The Filipino peacekeepers are now in Camp Ziouni, the Philippine contingent’s headquarters near the Israeli side of the territory.

PH standing in UN

Catapang acknowledged that the Philippine defiance could affect the country’s standing in the United Nations.

“They have to understand that the safety of our soldiers is of primordial importance. It prevails over and above the Fijian situation,” he said.

Catapang talked to the Filipino peacekeepers via Skype on Monday and praised them for a job well done and for highlighting the “world-class courage and professionalism” of Filipino troops in the service of global peace.

Col. Roberto Ancan, chief of the AFP Peacekeeping Operations Center, defended Catapang’s decision, saying that national interest should prevail over the Fijian situation.

“We can do that because as a member state, we are just loaned by the Undof and with that, we can take orders from our national government, from the capital,” Ancan said.

Weapons PH property

He explained that the peacekeepers’ weapons are Philippine government property and they are part of the troops’ uniforms.

“As peacekeepers, they are duty-bound to defend themselves and [UN] facilities, in that order,” Ancan said.

He said it was the paramount duty of the commander on the ground to ensure the safety of the peacekeepers.

Ancan said the contingent’s tour of duty ended in June this year but it was extended up to October this year on the request of Undof.

President Aquino has ordered the repatriation of the peacekeepers after the end of their tour of duty.

Ancan said Filipino troops were manning another UN encampment on the Golan Heights, Area Position 80, located at the middle of the southern part of the buffer zone.

It is believed to be safe, as the camp is near the water gate on the Israeli side of the territory.–With a report from Gil C. Cabacungan

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Doing something smart could affect their standing with the UN? Bunch of ******** derps.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
sometimes its better to take action rather then wait around for idiots, even if you get in trouble for it

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
What is the point of peacekeepers having weapons if they are supposed to just hand them over to the rebels?
"We took those other guys hostage and we want to take you hostage too. Give us your guns!"
"Yeah, sure. Sounds legit!"

Argonauts! Turn the other cheek now! lol

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
David2074
What is the point of peacekeepers having weapons if they are supposed to just hand them over to the rebels?
"We took those other guys hostage and we want to take you hostage too. Give us your guns!"

Right? Given that so many hostages are being mass executed, who the __ wants to just simply surrender? Possibility that we'd have the Fijians AND the Filipinos all executed!

Who the ___ is in charge of this whole operation anyway?

Hallowed Wench

******** UN... Sounds like a career desk officer making decisions for people on the ground instead of someone with experience. =

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
[******** UN... Sounds like a career desk officer making decisions for people on the ground instead of someone with experience. =

Hey, man! I'll have you know that the UN would only have the finest examples of contemporary flag officers making decisions, so you can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't give command to some "experienced" knuckle-dragging inbred gorilla with a gradeschool education and a glandular problem from whatever their countries equivalent of the Appalachian Mountains happens to be.

No, a task like this cannot be sullied by low-brow "experience." It can only be handled by a gentleman of breeding, education and sophistication. The kind of man who wants to serve his country, but cannot risk his manicure getting sullied by handling a weapon. The kind of man who has the kind of connections that guarantee him an education at the finest military academy, and a flag commission by the time he's twenty-five, who's eyes have never been sullied by so much as a Dadaist impression of a battlefield.

In short, such a task must be reserved for only the finest model of a modern Major General

Hallowed Wench

Keltoi ******** UN... Sounds like a career desk officer making decisions for people on the ground instead of someone with experience. =[/quote]

Hey, man! I'll have you know that the UN would only have the finest examples of contemporary flag officers making decisions, so you can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn't give command to some "experienced" knuckle-dragging inbred gorilla with a gradeschool education and a glandular problem from whatever their countries equivalent of the Appalachian Mountains happens to be.

No, a task like this cannot be sullied by low-brow "experience." It can only be handled by a gentleman of breeding, education and sophistication. The kind of man who wants to serve his country, but cannot risk his manicure getting sullied by handling a weapon. The kind of man who has the kind of connections that guarantee him an education at the finest military academy, and a flag commission by the time he's twenty-five, who's eyes have never been sullied by so much as a Dadaist impression of a battlefield.

In short, such a task must be reserved for only the finest model of a modern Major General

*[/url:ifbti8
Not every officer is a desk officer. There are guys who have spent time in the field, but I know what you're getting at.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Umbral_Necropolitan
Keltoi ******** UN... Sounds like a career desk officer making decisions for people on the ground instead of someone with experience. =[/quote]

*[/url:ifbti8
Not every officer is a desk officer. There are guys who have spent time in the field, but I know what you're getting at.

Yes, and those types are treated as inferior, because they worked their way up from the muck rather than starting off behind a desk.

Basically, it comes down to a matter of breeding: If you've seen actual combat, it's assumed that you are a lower order of life, whereas the ponce who directs the field by means of hand-penned orders relayed by telegraph wire because the whole endeavor of combat amounts to little more than a game of dress-up and Steampunkery for him is seen as the superior, because he is an intellectual, and intellectuals are inherently superior, not in spite of their lack of experience in the drudgery of warfare, but because of it.

Shameless Gawker

Lord Elwrind
David2074

Argonauts! Turn the other cheek now! lo

Right? Given that so many hostages are being mass executed, who the __ wants to just simply surrender? Possibility that we'd have the Fijians AND the Filipinos all executed!

I'm not really sure since I'm on mobile but as I recall it's an indian national. Gen. Singhi. Something like that.
The funny thing is that they only show this full story at my country and they hide those from the world.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
http://www.businessinsider.com/irish-troops-rescued-un-peacekeepers-2014-9

If UNDOF was asking them to disarm and surrender

why did they send Peacekeepers to go rescue them?

Shameless Gawker

Glorious Leader Luna
http://www.businessinsider.com/irish-troops-rescued-un-peacekeepers-2014-9

If UNDOF was asking them to disarm and surrender

why did they send Peacekeepers to go rescue them?
that was after they refused their direct order that could possibly put them to harm,why they sent those idk. But we are thankful that they helped

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Melancholic Delusion
Lord Elwrind
David2074

I'm not really sure since I'm on mobile but as I recall it's an indian national. Gen. Singhi. Something like that.
The funny thing is that they only show this full story at my country and they hide those from the world.

Reason why I like being on a site where there are people all over the world that can fill in what our American media is not allowed to report or info they missed.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lord Elwrind
David2074

It just seems like they emasculate the peacekeepers if they get any sort of a reputation for "wave a white flag and don't shoot". They'll become a joke and no one will respect them. Plus if all it takes for them to all be ordered to roll over is having some of them hostage then they will become hostage targets all over the world.

You can bet the actual peoples at war with each other where peacekeepers are located are not into surrendering just because of their fighters are captives.

Also, found this which I thought was mildly interesting.
(more info at the link)
Peacekeeping Fact Sheet
Peacekeeping Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet as of 30 June 2014

[Note: Statistical information on uniformed personnel is as of 30 June 2014 as statistical information on civilian staff is as of 30 June 2014, unless otherwise specified]

Peacekeeping operations since 1948: 69
Current peacekeeping operations: 16
Current peace operations directed by the Department of Peacekeeping Operations: 17*
[*In addition to peacekeeping operations, DPKO directs one political mission: the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).]

Personnel
Uniformed personnel: 98,071 (as of 30 June 2014)
Troops: 84,056
Police: 12,197
Military observers: 1,818
Civilian personnel: 17,277 (as of 30 June 2014)
International: 5,323
Local: 11,954
UN Volunteers: 2,015 (as of 30 June 2014)
Total number of personnel serving in 16 peacekeeping operations: 117,363
Total number of personnel serving in 17 DPKO-led peace operations: 118,936
Countries contributing uniformed personnel: 122
Total fatalities in current operations: 1,474
Total fatalities in all peace operations since 1948: 3,243

Shameless Gawker

Nyadriel
Melancholic Delusion
Lord Elwrind
David2074

Reason why I like being on a site where there are people all over the world that can fill in what our American media is not allowed to report or info they missed.
I posted this cause of that xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces