19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
Ratttking
David2074
Ratttking
I didn't see anything there about caviar or lobster, just high-priced alcohol served with a Grand Slam.

I'm surprised that NYC did not have a Denny's before this one.

True, no actual caviar and lobster. I was taking a bit of poetic license.
At $300 for a combo meal they apparently think it has caviar and lobster (or something).

And NYC has a number of Denny's. At least according to Google. I've never been there.
I think the first for this one is the part about being (trying to be) upscale and having overpriced meals.
Are you sure it's not for some other part of NY? The New York Times says this is the first in NYC:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/dining/dennys-comes-to-manhattan-with-a-bar-menu.html

They do have one in Brooklyn, so I'm not sure why they said that, unless they would prefer not to consider that borough a part of the city, like most people. Perhaps NYC = Manhattan only in their eyes..

The article does say that.
I did a google search and found what appeared to be some other Denny's locations - the actual chain, not something else just named Denny's - in locations I would consider part of NYC.
BUT... I've never been there, not that familiar with the area - so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
I guess I don't much care either. lol smile

I was surprised that someplace as populous as NYC would not already have (insert any national restaurant chain). But as I was typing this it occurred to me that maybe it makes sense that NYC didn't have Denny's.

NYC is known as the city that never sleeps. I suspect that includes many dining choices. Part of what makes Denny's tolerable is if you are on the road driving through podunk nowhere and find one - at least it is open and you can get a meal. But in a city where you have a hundred other choices at 3 AM maybe Denny's has less appeal.

Also, from what I gather NYC is known for having a wide variety of really good food choices.
So gain, why would you want a Denny's?

I know some people like Denny's. I'm not one of them.
I can tolerate their food but I'm not driven to go out of my way for it.
NYC is composed of 5 boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

Yes, it does have numerous places to dine, most of which are not chain restaurants. Chains can usually be counted on to provide decent food in a clean environs. Non-chains...hit or miss. I've had both excellent food in NYC and crap for which the term 'mediocre' would be high praise. Denny's food has always been good, not fancy, but tasty and well-made.

What I want to know is why anyone would pay that much. A bottle of Dom Perignon 2004 can be had for about $130.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
David2074
Ratttking
David2074
Ratttking
I didn't see anything there about caviar or lobster, just high-priced alcohol served with a Grand Slam.

I'm surprised that NYC did not have a Denny's before this one.

True, no actual caviar and lobster. I was taking a bit of poetic license.
At $300 for a combo meal they apparently think it has caviar and lobster (or something).

And NYC has a number of Denny's. At least according to Google. I've never been there.
I think the first for this one is the part about being (trying to be) upscale and having overpriced meals.
Are you sure it's not for some other part of NY? The New York Times says this is the first in NYC:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/dining/dennys-comes-to-manhattan-with-a-bar-menu.html

They do have one in Brooklyn, so I'm not sure why they said that, unless they would prefer not to consider that borough a part of the city, like most people. Perhaps NYC = Manhattan only in their eyes..

The article does say that.
I did a google search and found what appeared to be some other Denny's locations - the actual chain, not something else just named Denny's - in locations I would consider part of NYC.
BUT... I've never been there, not that familiar with the area - so maybe I'm getting it wrong.
I guess I don't much care either. lol smile

I was surprised that someplace as populous as NYC would not already have (insert any national restaurant chain). But as I was typing this it occurred to me that maybe it makes sense that NYC didn't have Denny's.

NYC is known as the city that never sleeps. I suspect that includes many dining choices. Part of what makes Denny's tolerable is if you are on the road driving through podunk nowhere and find one - at least it is open and you can get a meal. But in a city where you have a hundred other choices at 3 AM maybe Denny's has less appeal.

Also, from what I gather NYC is known for having a wide variety of really good food choices.
So gain, why would you want a Denny's?

I know some people like Denny's. I'm not one of them.
I can tolerate their food but I'm not driven to go out of my way for it.
NYC is composed of 5 boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

Yes, it does have numerous places to dine, most of which are not chain restaurants. Chains can usually be counted on to provide decent food in a clean environs. Non-chains...hit or miss. I've had both excellent food in NYC and crap for which the term 'mediocre' would be high praise. Denny's food has always been good, not fancy, but tasty and well-made.

What I want to know is why anyone would pay that much. A bottle of Dom Perignon 2004 can be had for about $130.

Yeah, who knows.
Some folks like status symbols / say they did it bragging rights and such.
Though honestly having the word "Denny's" in any of that seems amusing to me.
Denny's food is "okay" but that chain consistency you mentioned is a two edge sword. They are consistently "okay" (IMO) but they are also consistently never great.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff