• Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
No, my God, do you know what racism is?
Telling someone who is part of a minority that they have to follow the rules is not racist!
Do you think that putting a person who is a minority in jail because they have committed a crime is racist as well?
It's the farthest thing from subjective. Please, tell me how it is racist.

I said in my first post why I think it's racist, I will not repeat myself. And since you are repeatedly using abusive language this is the last thing you write in this thread that I'll reply to. Have a nice day.

1, I didn't use any abusive language in that last one. I'm simply astounded at how ridiculous some people are.
2, This is your first post, "To everyone saying she has to "deal with the consequences,":
The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags."
You gave no reason. The only semblance of a reason you gave is that she is Native American, and thus the rules don't have to apply to her.

I'll respond one last time to say "My bad, I meant my first reply to you," wherein I explained why it's racist.

Okay, so you think that rules don't apply to minorities. That clears it up a lot, thanks. So, if you ever get robbed by an African American man, you'll just think "well, his people have suffered a lot in the past, he should take whatever his heart pleases from me".
Sounds completly okay.

Wheezing Gekko

8,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Profitable 100
School : Be creative and an individual
Students: *Tries being creative and an individual.*
School: You're suspended for 8 years for being too creative, we don't like it.

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Telling someone who is part of a minority that they have to follow the rules is not racist!
Do you think that putting a person who is a minority in jail because they have committed a crime is racist as well?

I said in my first post why I think it's racist, I will not repeat myself. And since you are repeatedly using abusive language this is the last thing you write in this thread that I'll reply to. Have a nice day.

1, I didn't use any abusive language in that last one. I'm simply astounded at how ridiculous some people are.
2, This is your first post, "To everyone saying she has to "deal with the consequences,":
The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags."
You gave no reason. The only semblance of a reason you gave is that she is Native American, and thus the rules don't have to apply to her.

I'll respond one last time to say "My bad, I meant my first reply to you," wherein I explained why it's racist.

Okay, so you think that rules don't apply to minorities. That clears it up a lot, thanks. So, if you ever get robbed by an African American man, you'll just think "well, his people have suffered a lot in the past, he should take whatever his heart pleases from me".
Sounds completly okay.

No, we believe that the rules are fine most of the time, but such a minor rule, why shouldn't they be willing to bend it a little bit if the person has a valid cultural and religious reason for it? It's not like she bedazzled it, it was one feather, and it didn't even obscure her tassel at all. We believe her stubborn unwillingness to bend a little bit for one feather was incredibly insensitive and stupid. I wont go as far as saying it was racist, but it was certainly stupid of the Headmaster.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Kasumi of Vientown
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso

Sounds completly okay.

No, we believe that the rules are fine most of the time, but such a minor rule, why shouldn't they be willing to bend it a little bit if the person has a valid cultural and religious reason for it? It's not like she bedazzled it, it was one feather, and it didn't even obscure her tassel at all. We believe her stubborn unwillingness to bend a little bit for one feather was incredibly insensitive and stupid. I wont go as far as saying it was racist, but it was certainly stupid of the Headmaster.

If they allow one person to be above the rules then everyone has to. It's a silly rule, but one she knew she had to follow.

In a relationship with Delle42

Agile Fatcat

5,900 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Level Up 200
MemoriesOfGreen
Kasumi of Vientown
victor gusta queso
If she's so proud of what she did, she should be proud to face the consequences she knew was going to go with it.

Her headmaster didn't need to be so insensitive, either. She wasn't asking to were a full headdress of feathers, she was asking to were one feather, which held special spiritual significance to her. Try taking your foot out of your butt and try to be tolerant to the culture of someone else.

The problem has to do with her fixing her hat. She's supposed to have the same cap and gown as the other students. It's so everyone is equal and nobody stands out more than another student. Graduation is not just about her, it's about a lot of other students too. She wasn't just disobeying the rules but disrespecting her classmates by altering her hat. She wasn't making a religious statement, she was being rebellious. She has no right to complain about being treated unfairly if she knew what the consequences were going to be and even double checked. She needs to pay the fine.

I don't know. I think you could argue she was trying to make a religious statement, certainly a spiritual one was indicated in the article.

Playful Newb

11,865 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
what was the headmasters reason to say no? it's part of her culture, I'm having a hard time finding a reason that would offset the importance of that

Agile Fatcat

5,900 Points
Aint 1
School : Be creative and an individual
Students: *Tries being creative and an individual.*
School: You're suspended for 8 years for being too creative, we don't like it.

So true.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
RACIST BASTARDS.

******** these assholes. I'm homeschooling all of my kids. If they try to imprison me for not sending them to school I'll shoot at any CPS worker and cop who shows up.

Agile Fatcat

5,900 Points
Have fun nay
what was the headmasters reason to say no? it's part of her culture, I'm having a hard time finding a reason that would offset the importance of that

Good question. Particularly when she says it is a spiritual/religious thing... and if other religions were not being denied.

If you were Christian, you could probably wear a cross... I wonder if there WERE Christians wearing crosses at the graduation in which case, I'd say it was discriminatory. But if everyone's religious/spiritual articles are denied, then it wouldn't be just picking out her particular life philosophy/cultural heritage.

I think I'd have to know if it was a case of it being 'just her' or everyone really wasn't allowed to represent important religious and cultural differences.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
jellybeantoes
MemoriesOfGreen
Kasumi of Vientown
victor gusta queso
If she's so proud of what she did, she should be proud to face the consequences she knew was going to go with it.

Her headmaster didn't need to be so insensitive, either. She wasn't asking to were a full headdress of feathers, she was asking to were one feather, which held special spiritual significance to her. Try taking your foot out of your butt and try to be tolerant to the culture of someone else.

The problem has to do with her fixing her hat. She's supposed to have the same cap and gown as the other students. It's so everyone is equal and nobody stands out more than another student. Graduation is not just about her, it's about a lot of other students too. She wasn't just disobeying the rules but disrespecting her classmates by altering her hat. She wasn't making a religious statement, she was being rebellious. She has no right to complain about being treated unfairly if she knew what the consequences were going to be and even double checked. She needs to pay the fine.

I don't know. I think you could argue she was trying to make a religious statement, certainly a spiritual one was indicated in the article.

The school just considers it a violation of dress code. If everyone wanted to make a "spiritual statement" via their hat, they could do just about anything they wanted. Hell, they could dangle a fake p***s from the end of their hat and call it a "spiritual statement". To the school, it's a dress code violation. The school's dispute with it is not religious or spiritual at all.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Sheesh, it's just a feather that has symbolic meaning to her heritage. It's not like she hung a clock to her cap to be like Flavor Flav. neutral

Friendly Wench

They told her no, she went against it, she shouldn't be surprised.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Notice how the Native American can touch, have and kill for Eagle Feathers why let a Asian, black man or someone of European blood with no documented N.A. heritage touch It they get thrown under the bus with a $250,000 dollar penalty up to 2 in federal prison.

Clever Shapeshifter

14,015 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
xdivision_whitey
Notice how the Native American can touch, have and kill for Eagle Feathers why let a Asian, black man or someone of European blood with no documented N.A. heritage touch It they get thrown under the bus with a $250,000 dollar penalty up to 2 in federal prison.

From what i'm told from my uncle. Tribal members can have an eagle feather. ( i've never heard of native americans killing an eagle deliberately just for it's feathers.)

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
jellybeantoes
Have fun nay

Good question. Particularly when she says it is a spiritual/religious thing... and if other religions were not being denied.

If you were Christian, you could probably wear a cross... I wonder if there WERE Christians wearing crosses at the graduation in which case, I'd say it was discriminatory. But if everyone's religious/spiritual articles are denied, then it wouldn't be just picking out her particular life philosophy/cultural heritage.

I think I'd have to know if it was a case of it being 'just her' or everyone really wasn't allowed to represent important religious and cultural differences.

They could likely wear the symbols of their religion under their clothes. I know when I graduated our school has strict rules about attire, that everyone had to follow. At my cousins graduation a girl of Polynesian descent was given multiple lei by her family in congratulation but only after the ceremony had finished.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff