Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clever Shapeshifter

14,015 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Well she did ask to wear the feather, she got a no. She tried to appeal the decision and was denied. She should've accepted the decision. She also could've just placed the feather next to her diploma when she got home too.

( even though i'm native american as well, I still believe she should've just lived with it. If a situation can be avoided, then it should be avoided.)

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Kasumi of Vientown
victor gusta queso
If she's so proud of what she did, she should be proud to face the consequences she knew was going to go with it.
That other post came out meaner then I meant. Sorry. It's just that I try to be very understanding of others and their beliefs, and it's just one feather, but it meant so much to her, so I don't think she should be punished for her passion.

You can be as understanding as you want. But she asked and they told her no. She could have worn the dang feather on a necklace under her gown. But she did what she wanted to anyway, and so she should face the consequences. People are punished for their passions all the time, fair or unfair. I think if she's so proud of her feather as to wear it against the rules, she should proudly face the consequences of her pride.

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Kasumi of Vientown
http://www.change.org/petitions/gov-bentley-sen-sessions-sen-shelby-escambia-academy-high-school-chelsey-ramer-s-passion-for-her-native-heritage-shouldn-t-be-punished

Signed.
To everyone saying she has to "deal with the consequences,":

The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thaesda

The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags.

How the ******** is this racist? They have a policy about not letting people put things on their cap and gown!
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

How the ******** is this racist? They have a policy about not letting people put things on their cap and gown!

Forcing a girl who is part of a race that the US government and "the white man" has routinely and systematically tried to diminish to pay $1000 for showing that she is part of that race just sounds really racist.

And, as I said, "thinking they're racist." I didn't say, "having irrefutable proof that everyone involved has been convicted of vicious hate crimes."

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

Forcing a girl who is part of a race that the US government and "the white man" has routinely and systematically tried to diminish to pay $1000 for showing that she is part of that race just sounds really racist.

And, as I said, "thinking they're racist." I didn't say, "having irrefutable proof that everyone involved has been convicted of vicious hate crimes."

I'm sorry, but no. If they were saying that other people of other races could do what they wanted with their cap and gown, but she can't wear the feather because they wanted to put down her race, then maybe it would be considered racist, but to say that rules applying to a minority makes the rules racist is so ignorant it blows my mind.
The school has a dress code. Everyone has to follow it, not just this girl or her race in particular.
The only way that anyone could possibly think that this situation is one of racism is if they only read the title, or if they're completely idiotic.

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

Yeah, I have a deep respect for Native American's, they've been put through too much, and if they want to express their spirituality, I say let them! Did you know that Native American's were the last ethnic group to receive 'citizenship' from the United States government? Native American's were the last to receive the freedom to vote, and to be treated as human beings. Many assume it was African Americans, but nope. Native's were the last to be acknowledged by the government. And it was just one feather. One!

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Kasumi of Vientown
victor gusta queso
If she's so proud of what she did, she should be proud to face the consequences she knew was going to go with it.

Her headmaster didn't need to be so insensitive, either. She wasn't asking to were a full headdress of feathers, she was asking to were one feather, which held special spiritual significance to her. Try taking your foot out of your butt and try to be tolerant to the culture of someone else.

The problem has to do with her fixing her hat. She's supposed to have the same cap and gown as the other students. It's so everyone is equal and nobody stands out more than another student. Graduation is not just about her, it's about a lot of other students too. She wasn't just disobeying the rules but disrespecting her classmates by altering her hat. She wasn't making a religious statement, she was being rebellious. She has no right to complain about being treated unfairly if she knew what the consequences were going to be and even double checked. She needs to pay the fine.
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

I'm sorry, but no. If they were saying that other people of other races could do what they wanted with their cap and gown, but she can't wear the feather because they wanted to put down her race, then maybe it would be considered racist, but to say that rules applying to a minority makes the rules racist is so ignorant it blows my mind.
The school has a dress code. Everyone has to follow it, not just this girl or her race in particular.
The only way that anyone could possibly think that this situation is one of racism is if they only read the title, or if they're completely idiotic.

If you don't think it sounds racist then that's fine, but since it is subjective, I will keep thinking that it is. You also should refrain from insinuating that people are idiots, it shows you have little respect for your fellow debater.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

If you don't think it sounds racist then that's fine, but since it is subjective, I will keep thinking that it is. You also should refrain from insinuating that people are idiots, it shows you have little respect for your fellow debater.

No, my God, do you know what racism is?
Telling someone who is part of a minority that they have to follow the rules is not racist!
Do you think that putting a person who is a minority in jail because they have committed a crime is racist as well?
It's the farthest thing from subjective. Please, tell me how it is racist.
victor gusta queso
Telling someone who is part of a minority that they have to follow the rules is not racist!
Do you think that putting a person who is a minority in jail because they have committed a crime is racist as well?

I said in my first post why I think it's racist, I will not repeat myself. And since you are repeatedly using abusive language this is the last thing you write in this thread that I'll reply to. Have a nice day.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Kasumi of Vientown
Thaesda
victor gusta queso
Thaesda

Yeah, I have a deep respect for Native American's, they've been put through too much, and if they want to express their spirituality, I say let them! Did you know that Native American's were the last ethnic group to receive 'citizenship' from the United States government? Native American's were the last to receive the freedom to vote, and to be treated as human beings. Many assume it was African Americans, but nope. Native's were the last to be acknowledged by the government. And it was just one feather. One!

It was a group of people who asked if they could be an exception to the rules and were told no. This little girl decides to be rebellious and do it anyway. She should take the punishment she knew she was going to be given instead of playing the race card and trying to get sympathy.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thaesda
victor gusta queso

I said in my first post why I think it's racist, I will not repeat myself. And since you are repeatedly using abusive language this is the last thing you write in this thread that I'll reply to. Have a nice day.

1, I didn't use any abusive language in that last one. I'm simply astounded at how ridiculous some people are.
2, This is your first post, "To everyone saying she has to "deal with the consequences,":
The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags."
You gave no reason. The only semblance of a reason you gave is that she is Native American, and thus the rules don't have to apply to her.
victor gusta queso
Thaesda
victor gusta queso

1, I didn't use any abusive language in that last one. I'm simply astounded at how ridiculous some people are.
2, This is your first post, "To everyone saying she has to "deal with the consequences,":
The school gets to deal with the consequences of their intolerant actions as well, those consequences being everyone thinking they're racist windbags."
You gave no reason. The only semblance of a reason you gave is that she is Native American, and thus the rules don't have to apply to her.

I'll respond one last time to say "My bad, I meant my first reply to you," wherein I explained why it's racist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff