Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ferocious Browser

xdivision_whitey
Eveille
xdivision_whitey
Notice how the Native American can touch, have and kill for Eagle Feathers why let a Asian, black man or someone of European blood with no documented N.A. heritage touch It they get thrown under the bus with a $250,000 dollar penalty up to 2 in federal prison.

That happens in a lot of countries. It's called recognizing the problem and respecting those who were there first.

In Central and South America there are quite a few biosphere reserves and preserves where there were and are native human populations that live there. The preserves were created and they were not evicted. Wy not? Because they weren't the ******** problem. Native people had lived there for hundreds, if not thousands, of years and those trees and those species were still there. Europeans came and, shock of shock, s**t started getting endangered. So who should be banned? Those who have proven they can use it responsibly and for whom it is a critical part of their culture and belief systems? Or those who came in later and exploited it for commercial and materialistically petty gain and who have no damned self control when it comes to making a quick buck?

Think about it for more tha. 2 seconds and you'll realize it isn't cause the law hates the white man as you so love to keep posting in all manner of threads. It's getting annoying.
You do know the natives made the native horse here in America extinct well before the white man got here.

I am aware of all the mega fauna extinctions that happened at the end of the last ice age, yes. It was a combo of climate change and humans, not just humans, i dont think there was enough population density for humans alone to have been the issue back then.

Nothing can be done about that one. Something can be done about the species we have now and which we are actively decimating. The natives hadn't made those extinct, and considering their populations, I don't think they could have if they tried. Compared to 300 million of us which would make it a walk in the park to eliminate nearly everything in site, and which we were doing quite well until the 1960s-70s.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Aint 1
School : Be creative and an individual
Students: *Tries being creative and an individual.*
School: You're suspended for 8 years for being too creative, we don't like it.

They say be creative and an individual, not "appeal to the higher ups under the impression that you'll get what you want, but if you don't, disregard them anyway". There's a difference between acting like you're above the rules and expressing artistic creativity.

I do think withholding the diploma until she gives a fine was excessive, though. Maybe they could pull her aside and not have her walk at graduation but still give her diploma; that would get the message across well enough, I think.

Sugary Cat

She did something even after getting told no. I do think $1000 is a bit much but like some other users said; no is no,

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
"Ramer wore the feather anyway, saying it was important to her to represent her heritage."

Why was it so important? It's a ******** feather, and you're taking part in a ceremony that isn't even uniquely Native American.

I think students should be allowed to put feathers on their caps, but the rule was made, and there is no reason why the rule shouldn't be made. This feather isn't really that important as far as I know. It's not like her religion demands that she wear a feather every day.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Alexander J Luthor
RACIST BASTARDS.

******** these assholes. I'm homeschooling all of my kids. If they try to imprison me for not sending them to school I'll shoot at any CPS worker and cop who shows up.

There's nothing racist about the situation. She's not the only minority in that school. EVERY STUDENT is expected to comply to the same graduation cap and gown standards--if the school says no altering or additions to the cap and gown are allowed, then no altering or additions are allowed. Just because she wants to honor her culture doesn't mean she should disrespect school rules. I'm Vietnamese, so I know what it's like to be a minority, but I would never, ever act like a snowflake and think that rules should be bent just for me. You do not get to be above school rules just because you are a minority.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Zered Heizien
chalk up another point for "american schools being ******** ridiculous"
the $1,000 "fine" is just pure arrogance and a prime example of why american schools are a joke and continue to get worse and worse as the years go by.

You act like all American schools are like that. The high school I went to was very accepting of cultural differences (Though it helps that I lived in a location that was multicultural). However, just because the girl was Native American doesn't mean the administration should break school rules for her and allow her to wear the feather on her cap. If they allow her to wear the feather on her cap, they should allow ALL students to make alterations or additions to the cap and gown. She should not be an exception.
Quote:
You act like all American schools are like that. The high school I went to was very accepting of cultural differences (Though it helps that I lived in a location that was multicultural).
good for you?
still doesnt change that schools think they have to power to do whatever they want and that the american populace are sheep who let them get away with it, or that american education continues dwindle and be passed up by other countries.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Zered Heizien
Quote:
You act like all American schools are like that. The high school I went to was very accepting of cultural differences (Though it helps that I lived in a location that was multicultural).
good for you?
still doesnt change that schools think they have to power to do whatever they want and that the american populace are sheep who let them get away with it, or that american education continues dwindle and be passed up by other countries.

There are always those few exceptions. For example, the administration at my former high school always notified students, staff, and parents about any changes they were going to make through monthly newsletters. When they implemented a Lunchbox program that lets parents see what their child was eating if they bought school food by making an account, they told the students and parents before the implementation, and also made it optional. Another example is when they were contemplating changing the street name that leads to the back parking lot of the school during my junior year, they put a poll up so students could vote on whether they wanted the street name changed (a majority voted no, and the school did not change the street name). The high school I went to was open to student suggestions, and that's probably why we didn't have restrictions or, god forbid, metal detectors like at other schools. Even troublemakers were given counseling instead of being treated like criminals. And I think it says a lot about the quality of education at my former high school when two students applied to get into Oxford University, an extremely difficult university to get into, especially for international students. As far as I know, they were the only ones who dared apply there. Unlike so many schools I hear about in the news, mine actually encouraged free-thinking and debates so long as there's no verbal, emotional, or physical abuse done over differing opinions, and teachers were ready to admit if they wee wrong.

and i rambled on for too long. xp The bold is what's most important.
thats bullshit
Ill wear whatever I want to graduate.

Kawaii Shoujo

I don't see what the big deal is anyway, if she wants to wear something that represents her culture... I say let her do it.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Sirellex
Ill wear whatever I want to graduate.
Yes and you may be like this girl, and get your diploma withheld with a fine. Arrogance and idiocy often have a price.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Zered Heizien
Quote:
good for you?

Some battles aren't worth fighting and I think this is one of them. Not letting someone wear a feather in their cap isn't quite the same as being forced to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

That being said, there is sort of an underlying idea that schools churn out obedient slaves; that's why I used the comparison of the Pledge of Allegiance. It's a matter of degree though, and in the grand scheme of things, I don't see the feather as that important.

Fashionable Gaian

During my graduation, I didn't even know, but apparently it was a original trend to wear black shoes/heels to the graduation ceremony.

I wore sparkly pink heels. OH THE HORROR! rofl
No one said anything though, kinda sad she got a fine for $1000 for wearing a single feather.

Mega Cutie-Pie

zaptar13
There was no need to make a big deal out of this just give her the diploma she earned it. Feather or whatever doesn't matter.

This.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces