other? 0.39473684210526 39.5% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 38 ]
1 2 >

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A woman clutching her baby son in her arms plunged eight stories out of an apartment window to her death in an apparent suicide on Wednesday, but the baby survived, police said.

Cynthia Wachenheim was found on the street with her son, 10-month-old Keston, near her arms. A police officer who responded took the baby to a hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.

Police discovered a seven-page suicide note under a bed in the apartment Wachenheim shared with her husband. In the note, the 45-year-old Wachenheim said she recognized what she was about to do was "evil" but she was concerned about how her child was developing, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case. The official was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

It was unclear whether the baby, who neighbors said was an only child, had any mental or physical problems.

A window to the West Harlem apartment was wide open, and there were no signs of struggle inside, police said. There were no safety bars on the apartment's windows. Surveillance footage showed Wachenheim's husband leaving the apartment about an hour before her plunge from the window with the baby.

'I heard a scream'
Area resident Steven Dominguez, 18, was walking to a grocery store with his mother, Adelina Dominguez, when he saw the woman fall. He said the baby bounced off her body, breaking some of the impact of the fall, before hitting the ground nearby.

"I heard a scream like a yell," Dominguez said. "When I got closer, I saw the baby crying."

He said the baby was face-down.

"I was shocked," he said. "I couldn't believe it."

Dominguez said his mother went to pick up the baby, but an emergency response person told her to stand back.

The apartment is in a relatively new building facing Jackie Robinson Park. A crowd of onlookers had gathered nearby Wednesday afternoon, awaiting the medical examiner's office, which would determine the official cause of the woman's death.

Resident Yaa Dwamena, 32, said she's lived in the building for several years and as long as she's been there she's seen Wachenheim.

"She was very nice, very friendly, very warm," Dwamena said.

She said that the last time she saw Wachenheim was last week.

"I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with her," she said. "They were a happy-looking family. I wouldn't think anything like this would happen."

Wachenheim went to law school at Columbia University, and her father was a state police spokesman before his death in 2011. She worked in state Supreme Court in Manhattan doing legal research for judges, court officials said.

"We are all deeply saddened about this tragic incident," state courts spokesman David Bookstaver said. "Our thoughts are with Ms. Wachenheim's family."

What happened?

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
she was concerned about how her child was developing

There's so much emphasis on hitting specific milestones at specific times -- if not sooner -- that a corresponding stigma springs up if the baby or child reaches it a little later. If that's what drove this mother, I can imagine how she felt. But what else drove her to do something so extreme and why she felt she had to destroy both herself and the child is beyond me. A mix of postpartum depression/psychosis, the pressures of her profession (and traditional lack of flexibility for having a family), maybe marital problems?

I'm glad the baby survived. I hope he can someday forgive his mother when he learns what she did.

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I would think it's more likely the woman was on drugs. I don't think even an extremely depressed person would have the heart to kill their own baby boy because they were suicidal.

Wheezing Gaian

Snowy One Piece Lover
I would think it's more likely the woman was on drugs. I don't think even an extremely depressed person would have the heart to kill their own baby boy because they were suicidal.

You would be surprised sadly. And it's not about not having a heart. Sometimes when the brain and chemicals in the body are not functioning correctly, something a person in the right state of mind sees as heartless, the distressed person sees as a saving grace.

ETA: There are also instances of people being selfish and killing their child and themselves too ( the Powell case comes to mind) for dark personal motives, but I think this was someone who was ill ( and who maybe need to be on drugs?) and they honestly felt the only way to "save" their child was to end it all.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Snowy One Piece Lover

Postpartum depression can make women do some seriously messed up things if they're not treated properly.

Friendly Wench

Elraine Figarette
Snowy One Piece Lover

Postpartum depression can make women do some seriously messed up things if they're not treated properly.

^This. Depression is a terrible thing, and postpartum depression can be even worse. Not only are you hurting yourself but also your new family.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:

There's so much emphasis on hitting specific milestones at specific times -- if not sooner -- that a corresponding stigma springs up if the baby or child reaches it a little later. If that's what drove this mother, I can imagine how she felt. But what else drove her to do something so extreme and why she felt she had to destroy both herself and the child is beyond me. A mix of postpartum depression/psychosis, the pressures of her profession (and traditional lack of flexibility for having a family), maybe marital problems?

I'm glad the baby survived. I hope he can someday forgive his mother when he learns what she did.
Honestly, if my child wasn't hitting specific milestones at the same time as most other children do, I wouldn't be worried unless he doesn't say his first word by the time he's 3 or 4. And anyways, those kind of things are just a general thing because different kids develop at different rates.

But honestly, there had to be something else going on to cause her to do this, like maybe she got mega-stressed out to the point where she couldn't think straight. Can't really say for sure though.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
Quote:

My thoughts went to that article about the Chinese woman who drowned her 9 year old boy in the bathtub because his p***s was too small. At least this child murderer had the decency to kill herself save the legal system part of the hassle. How said for the child. What ever problems the mom was worried about plus what ever problems from the injuries it sustained plus the knowledge your own mother died in the act of trying to murder you. Not the best formula for a well adjusted happy life.

Interesting Lunatic

Honey of the South
Honestly, if my child wasn't hitting specific milestones at the same time as most other children do, I wouldn't be worried unless he doesn't say his first word by the time he's 3 or 4. And anyways, those kind of things are just a general thing because different kids develop at different rates.

But honestly, there had to be something else going on to cause her to do this, like maybe she got mega-stressed out to the point where she couldn't think straight. Can't really say for sure though.
Then good on you for being clear-headed. But a lot of people aren't, and the media does a lot of hyping the slightest developmental delays/differences as being absolute proof of a disorder that's going to absolutely turn the kid into a drooling, screaming, shiny-helmet 'tardmonster, which we all know is absolutely the worst thing that can happen ever.
And if the kid was a little late on something and the mother was off-balance, she might have flipped to "omg my kid's gonna' be retarded/autistic life is over I should kill myself and the kid".

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
That Scruffy Mule
Honey of the South

Then good on you for being clear-headed. But a lot of people aren't, and the media does a lot of hyping the slightest developmental delays/differences as being absolute proof of a disorder that's going to absolutely turn the kid into a drooling, screaming, shiny-helmet 'tardmonster, which we all know is absolutely the worst thing that can happen ever.
And if the kid was a little late on something and the mother was off-balance, she might have flipped to "omg my kid's gonna' be retarded/autistic life is over I should kill myself and the kid".
Speaking from partial experience. My parents have noticed me skipping over some of the same 'milestones' that my sisters have already gone through (I'm the eldest, btw) or coming to them a little later than normal. For example, both my sisters have boyfriends right now, while I've been single my entire life. This, among other things, have convinced my parents that I probably have Asperger's.

Interesting Lunatic

Honey of the South
Speaking from partial experience. My parents have noticed me skipping over some of the same 'milestones' that my sisters have already gone through (I'm the eldest, btw) or coming to them a little later than normal. For example, both my sisters have boyfriends right now, while I've been single my entire life. This, among other things, have convinced my parents that I probably have Asperger's.
Aspie m'self. Dating seems like more dramashit than it's worth.
I skipped the "crawling" milestone. Entirely. At 11 months I just pulled myself up and started walking.
"Naw, guys, screw that s**t. I ain't scratching my knees all up just so you can take "cute" pictures or whatever. I got things to do. Later losers."
But that was before people really knew that Asperger's was a thing, so I was always just "weird" until I was diagnosed a couple years ago. Which is fine too.

But the media winds people up so much that if you have a non-neurotypical child you might as well inject yourself with CancerAids.

3,850 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
What if, just a thought ,her baby was like the anti-crist (she was probably just crazy) but think about it what if it was like the devil or somthing and now will be released on to the world? Ice again probly just crazy.

Friendly Wench

That Scruffy Mule
drooling, screaming, shiny-helmet 'tardmonster

I seriously hate myself for laughing so hard at this. User Image

Interesting Lunatic

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
That Scruffy Mule
drooling, screaming, shiny-helmet 'tardmonster

I seriously hate myself for laughing so hard at this. User Image
Congratulations, you're a terrible person. We meet on Tuesdays, watch TruTV, and laugh at the stupid people hurting themselves.
In all seriousness though, while they obviously don't take it to the extent that I did, that is the overall message that the media sends to people about kids with developmental disabilities. The "funny" comes from the element of truth taken to such an extreme that it becomes absurd/ridiculous. It's what South Park works on.

Friendly Wench

That Scruffy Mule

Oh jeez, who knew there was a club? I'll bring the popcorn and babies blood. : P
I agree, that the mass media takes it to the extreme. I have a cousin with severe autism and while I know most kids aren't like him it's hard not to associate EVERY kid with autism like they are going to punch me or bite me at the drop of a hat.
** I say all of this as I listen to Same Love, a song about acceptance. xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces