Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

The McDonald's that we know and love, identified by those iconic Golden Arches, had humble beginnings. The restaurant first opened as McDonald's Bar-B-Q Restaurant in San Bernardino, Calif., in 1940, serving a simple menu of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, and shakes. Over the next several years, founders d**k and Mac McDonald renovated the restaurant and highlighted their $0.15 hamburger.

Today, McDonald's is the largest hamburger fast-food chain in the world, and serves more than 58 million customers daily. While McDonald's continues to have a set staple menu throughout most of their locations, the chain is continuously trying to invent both local, national and international menu items to bolster its offerings.

For instance, specialty menu items such as the Big Mac or Chicken McNuggets have been huge commercial successes across the board. But other items have been launched, and have subsequently vanished just as quickly. Items such as the Bacon Bacon McBacon, the Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, and the Home-Fried Chicken never quite caught on with American consumers. In local markets, McDonald's has even rolled out items like the McLobster on the East Coast, poutine in Canada, and the McCrab in parts of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia.
Related: Healthiest Fast-Food Choices

McDonald's continues to roll out new products all the time; some will make it big, others will vanish off the menu without a trace. Below are McDonald's biggest menu flops of all time.

5) McPizza

In the 1980s, McDonald's felt it was imperative to compete with other fast-food chains like Domino's and Pizza Hut, and it decided to launch the McPizza as well as other items like a lasagna and a spaghetti dish. Although McDonald's executives believed this would help the menu become more attractive to those looking for traditional dinner items, the McPizza was actually quite unpopular with patrons looking for fast in-and-out service.

4) The Hula Burger

The Hula Burger was the brainchild of owner Ray Kroc. He believed that this meatless burger, containing grilled pineapple with cheese on a bun, would be a perfect option for Catholics who abstain from eating meat during Lent. While the Filet-O-Fish, another Lent-inspired option, still remains popular to this day, the Hula Burger did not enjoy such long-term success.

3) McLobster

One of the seasonal and local menu items that popped up on McDonald's menus in eastern Canada and New England during select summer months was the infamous McLobster. The company produced this faux lobster roll in a hot dog bun during the summertime, when lobster prices were relatively cheap. But "cheap" (for lobster) didn't match up with the McDonald's clientele. The sandwich clocked in at $5.99, and customers veered away from the expensive special.

2) McAfrika

Over the years, McDonald's has released international products in different locations across the world, some to great success. However, in 2002, McDonald's released one of the worst menu items and marketing flops in the company's history. The sandwich, the McAfrika (consisting of beef and vegetables in a pita), was released in Norway during some of the worst famines Southern Africa has ever seen. The campaign was believed to be created in such poor taste that McDonald's took the item off its menus and agreed to continue to keep donation boxes for charities in support of the famine in Africa.

1) Arch Deluxe

When crafting an ad campaign for its Arch Deluxe, McDonald's spent more money on the advertising campaign than it had on any other singular item in its history. Coming in at over $150 million, the Arch Deluxe campaign flopped, making the sandwich a very expensive mistake. The campaign was seeking an upscale demographic, boasting the new sandwich with an "adult" taste and a mustard-mayonnaise sauce. When that didn't work, new TV ads featured Ronald McDonald out partying and playing pool, a certain shift from the restaurant's family-friendly image.

Source

Don't know, with how McDonalds is now trying to appear healthy the Hula Burger would probably wind up being a success if brought back.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Wrenry
Don't know, with how McDonalds is now trying to appear healthy the Hula Burger would probably wind up being a success if brought back.

McDonald's is not even attempting to be healthy nowadays.

They are planning on taking off (or already did) SALAD from the menu. Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Some of them look pretty yummy to me.xD;

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
I wish McDonalds would bring over some of their international menu items to the US. I would kill for an ebi burger.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Hasuki Aatisuto
Wrenry

They are planning on taking off (or already did) SALAD from the menu. Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

That's them being healthy

the salad was more fatty than the burgers
You are a gigantic, multi-billion dollar, world wide restaurant chain. What more do you really need? Accept what you do and stick with it.

Amorous Paladin

14,400 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
So that's where Nick got the idea for the Krusty Krab pizza episode of SpongeBob... eek

Greedy Consumer

Wrenry

If mcdonalds paid them to write an article about them, and the article was written would that be advertising?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Wrenry

What salad? Last time I was there, that option was not even available.

Animal Shapeshifter

28,200 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Hasuki Aatisuto
Wrenry

They still have salads at the McDonald's were my uncle use to work. I had one of them....it was okay but the bacon bits on it made me sick to my stomach. I think I'll only get their drinks and maybe every once in a while their fries from now on.

Time-traveling Senshi

I guess the Mc D.L.T. was more popular than I thought it was. That thing was a mess to eat and definitely McDonald's answer to the Wopper.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I'd buy a six-dollar lobster hot dog.

...What, no one else? Just me?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Ringoringa
I'd buy a six-dollar lobster hot dog.

...What, no one else? Just me?
I had a friend from Maine who bitched up a storm that he couldn't get a McLobster here. Then again, he bitched just as much about the item itself, complaining that it was lame-tasting and that he could have gotten a whole fresh lobster for the same price up there.

Dapper Gawker

Hasuki Aatisuto
Wrenry

I work at mcdonalds, they're taking it off because no one ever buys it! Plus Mcdonalds kinda forces the employee's to eat their food, you get 1 free employee meal any day you work, but they don't provide a fridge or microwave for us to bring in our lunch.... guess what that 1 meal usually goes to?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Was the McPizza a cheese pizza? My sister might actually deign to eat that if it was.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff