Welcome to Gaia! ::

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Jin Love
He probably would of been able to save the boy.
On what evidence do you base this statement?

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Ratttking
Jin Love
None obviously, but who knows? He could of had a good chance of getting in there in time to save the son. It's a hell of a lot better than being told to do nothing.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
xdivision_whitey
victor gusta queso
xdivision_whitey
victor gusta queso
xdivision_whitey
victor gusta queso

I'd like to see someone try and hold one of those officers back from saving one of their damn kids. They'd probably shoot their way into the building.
Well of course double standard do apply to those in power.

Officers shouldn't have that kind of power over other people. They are there to serve and protect, yes? Not lord over people and force them to their will, such as the officer in this story.
I know they shouldn't. It bug the hell out of me. Unfortunatly we have city officials are in bed with beaucrates (Alphabet soup lawmaker: FDA, EPA, TSA, NASDA, FBI, CSI, ect) and ideals that say protect the many with rules and screw the one possable victim.

And I don't even have any ideas on how it could be fixed, with the exception of total anarchy, and that isn't really a fix.
I just get so mad now, every time I hear of an officer doing stupid s**t. And the ones I know personally who have freaking TOLD me that they don't care about what the law says, they'll bend it any way they want if they don't like what someone is doing.
Yep well it's just like those sheriffs in Co (I think it was that state) said there weren't going to enforce any new gun laws. they pick and choose. even attacking Lemonade stands.

There was at least one state where the sheriffs were explicitly told not to by state law, and if that's the case you're thinking of, then you need to rethink whether that's a sign of police corruption or not.

Arguably, even if it isn't, one has to wonder why one would hold police responsible for arresting civilians who broke unconstitutional laws, and then turn around and blast the cops for refusing to enforce other unconstitutional laws.

This case, though? Tasing a man because they were afraid he'd do what the police or fire department refused, and thus feared the notion that he'd be seen as a hero and them as cowards? That's more than legit of a gripe.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Jin Love
Ratttking
Jin Love
None obviously, but who knows? He could of had a good chance of getting in there in time to save the son. It's a hell of a lot better than being told to do nothing.
Then it is a possibility, not a probability, and not necessarily even a strong possibility.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Jin Love

I find it funny, they won't step in in certain cases like when you call about a harassment, but the moment you want to save someone's life? Ohh no forget that we'll step in now!

It's because a hero is a bigger threat to a tyrannical regime than a villain.

A villain exists outside the system. The absolute worst harm they can cause is by making people ask their overlords "why haven't you stopped them already," and the crafty ones can use that as an opportunity to seize more power with the blessing of the proles.

A hero, however, is a prole who, through action, becomes elevated to the status that's supposed to be reserved for the regime's selected enforcers, thus demonstrating that the differences between the proles and their masters aren't as extreme as the regime requires them to believe in order to maintain power.

Lucky Star

Poor family. That officer should be ashamed of themselves.

Officers need to stop thinking they have control over people's free wills and making other's decisions. Because they don't have that kind of control,their just like everyone else. mad

Seriously the father was willing to go and risk his life and rescue his baby and they should have let him regardless. No they had to be a******* and enforce their decision on what he should do. scream

This is many of the reason why I don't trust or like officers. talk2hand
Jin Love
Ratttking
Jin Love
Well, he probably knew the house a whole lot better than the cops did. It was either his parents or his inlaws house. I can walk around my grandparents house with my eyes closed. He probably knew exactly what room his son would have been in. Of course, I have no evidence to back this up, except my own experiences with family members houses.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I doubt it's in protocol to taze someone for something like this. It's that whole stupid "I know what's best for you" and "I'm going to protect you even if you don't like it" attitude that bothers me as much as the infant's death.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
MemoriesOfGreen
I doubt it's in protocol to taze someone for something like this. It's that whole stupid "I know what's best for you" and "I'm going to protect you even if you don't like it" attitude that bothers me as much as the infant's death.

Perhaps not explicitly, but the officer's duty is to save lives, whether they want to be saved or not.

That said, they're going to need a tazer to stop me if one of my pack is still inside a burning building. mad

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
AloysiusWeasley
MemoriesOfGreen

Perhaps not explicitly, but the officer's duty is to save lives, whether they want to be saved or not.

That said, they're going to need a tazer to stop me if one of my pack is still inside a burning building. mad

To be honest, I would sue.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Keltoi Samurai
Jin Love

I find it funny, they won't step in in certain cases like when you call about a harassment, but the moment you want to save someone's life? Ohh no forget that we'll step in now!

It's because a hero is a bigger threat to a tyrannical regime than a villain.

A villain exists outside the system. The absolute worst harm they can cause is by making people ask their overlords "why haven't you stopped them already," and the crafty ones can use that as an opportunity to seize more power with the blessing of the proles.

A hero, however, is a prole who, through action, becomes elevated to the status that's supposed to be reserved for the regime's selected enforcers, thus demonstrating that the differences between the proles and their masters aren't as extreme as the regime requires them to believe in order to maintain power.

Holy s**t, we really are living The Hunger Games...

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Jin Love
Ratttking
Jin Love
Then it is a possibility, not a probability, and not necessarily even a strong possibility.

Sounds to me at the end there that a "pro" did get the baby out, otherwise the corpse probably would have burned to cinders. If they had let the father go in the infant's odds of living would have risen exponentially, even if the father's fell.

Feral Nymph

Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Jin Love
Ratttking
Jin Love

Sounds to me at the end there that a "pro" did get the baby out, otherwise the corpse probably would have burned to cinders. If they had let the father go in the infant's odds of living would have risen exponentially, even if the father's fell.

Do you know what's harder then trying to save one person's life? Trying to save two peoples lives. Sure, the guy knew his house, but he didn't know, say, if the stairs had burnt out and fallen in. He didn't know if a wall would fall over on him or not. This isn't some heroic tale of government versus the little man like others are painting it out to be. It's people trying to do their jobs and *trying* to save lives, even when they can't save them all.

Timid Friend

that sucks that the dad couldn't save his son cat_sad

meh.... thinking about it I ended up thinking in my mind the chief fireman holding out the metal part of an axe to stop the taser from hitting the dad would've been good! :cat_shocked:

then shout to 4 of his men to go in with fire extinguisher' to help the dad so the fire doesn't end up taking both the baby and his dads life if the house collapsed cat_3nodding

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Jin Love
Ratttking
Jin Love

Do you know what's harder then trying to save one person's life? Trying to save two peoples lives. Sure, the guy knew his house, but he didn't know, say, if the stairs had burnt out and fallen in. He didn't know if a wall would fall over on him or not. This isn't some heroic tale of government versus the little man like others are painting it out to be. It's people trying to do their jobs and *trying* to save lives, even when they can't save them all.

Yes, fires are unpredictable, but they wouldn't have gotten the baby out at all if the house was that unstable, and anyone with training would be able to tell if a house was safe enough to go in or if they had to stand outside and hose everything down. And taking into account that he was going in almost immediately after his mother and older son got out, a healthy man between 20-40 would have a fairly easy (relative to the circumstances) time getting through the fire before it consumed the house.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff