Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

A federal jury has ruled against an employer who said he used the N-word in an affectionate way toward black colleagues, effectively saying the incendiary word is unacceptable at work under any circumstances.

Rob Carmona, 61, was sued by a former employee who said that Carmona’s use of the word during a “tirade” over workplace attire and professionalism was inappropriate.

The jury ruled that Carmona’s March 2012 four-minute “rant,” was “hostile and discriminatory” and awarded plaintiff Brandi Johnson $250,000 in damages. The jury is now deciding whether to award punitive damages as well.

"I was offended. I was hurt. I felt degraded. I felt disrespected. I was embarrassed," Johnson, 38, who recorded Carmona’s comments, testified during the trial.

When asked to explain how he has used the word in a positive manner, Carmona explained, "That means my boy, I love him, or whatever.” And Carmona said that was his intention with Johnson.

The exchange between Carmona and Johnson, both of whom are African-American, has raised the question of whether use of the N-word has different legal connotations when used by someone who is black and someone who is not.

The exact racial makeup of the jury was not officially released, but it reportedly was composed of six men and two women. At least one of the eight is black, reports say.

Carmona is the owner and founder of STRIVE, a company that has received numerous public accolades for its efforts to improve employment opportunities in the black community. The group says it has helped nearly 50,000 individuals find employment since its inception in 1984.

Johnson’s attorney, Marjorie M. Sharpe, argued that Carmona’s defense did not hold up under scrutiny, saying it was “simply ridiculous” for him to argue that the word was used in a positive or endearing manner.

"When you use the word n----- to an African-American, no matter how many alternative definitions that you may try to substitute with the word n-----, that is no different than calling a Hispanic by the worst possible word you can call a Hispanic, calling a homosexual male the worst possible word that you can call a homosexual male," Sharpe told the jury.Source

Affectionate! One of the most vile words in the dictionary that gets any one else of color in trouble if they say it and he tries to use it in an affectionate manner?! I wish the jury would have given her more!

And hoping that this gets as much attention on the news as Paula Deens usage of the word.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
What's the worst possible word you can call a homosexual male, Republican?

Dedicated Student

I agree with the judges ruling. I never understood why blacks used it as a term of endearment when people of white skin couldn't even say it. Not to mention that it's not just used against the black races. Yes it seems to be a racially charged word, but it's one filled with hate that can be used against anyone of any skin color. Call me a whiner all you want and say how I can't feel this way because I haven't been oppressed like blacks have, but I have been called that with my pale skin and it doesn't feel to well at all. Each time I hear the word it makes me very uncomfortable.

And I don't believe that malarkey about taking back words either. b***h and slut are two very charged words at a particular gender and while you see a few women calling each other bitches it isn't the norm. And it's highly looked down upon. Even the word retard was tried to be used as an endearment term and that didn't go over too well.

So I don't know why anyone in their right minds would use that very hatefully charged word as a form of endearment.

Call me a whiner for being "hurt" by words, but words can hurt. Please don't sit there and pretend that words don't have some significance.

Aged Lunatic

Good.

Either the word is offensive, or it isn't. Glad someone at least is willing to take a stand and proclaim, rightly, that it's a trash word that has no place among anyone.

Rainbow Smoker

5,650 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
This needs to be printed out and stapled to the foreheads of every white douche who says things like "how come blacks get to use the n-word and I don't??"

Also jackasses like a few former coworkers of mine who assumed that because we were of the same ethnicity, I'd be okay hearing slurs describing us. Sorry, not as self-loathing as you are, to me that's an insult so kindly stfu.

Greedy Consumer

even whites would feel left out for not being called ******
fo' shame lol

Greedy Consumer

GunsmithKitten
Good.

Either the word is offensive, or it isn't. Glad someone at least is willing to take a stand and proclaim, rightly, that it's a Censored word that has no place among anyone.
[edit: multiple ways to interpret my post, doesnt mean they are accurate lol. I am confusing sometimes]

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I hate the N-word.
But I also hate whites who complain about not being able to use it. WHYYYYY is it so important for white people to be able to use it? This is one thing that whites can't do that blacks can and they get all bent out of shape for it.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I don't think anyone should be saying the N-word, white, black, asian, hispanic, multicolored rainbow. I don't care. It shouldn't be in use. Anyone who says it should feel ashamed and attract the ire of others.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Last part!

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
La Veuve Zin
This needs to be printed out and stapled to the foreheads of every white douche who says things like "how come blacks get to use the n-word and I don't??"

Also jackasses like a few former coworkers of mine who assumed that because we were of the same ethnicity, I'd be okay hearing slurs describing us. Sorry, not as self-loathing as you are, to me that's an insult so kindly stfu.
How about it's okay for blacks to call people white folk crackers? There should be no double standard.

Devoted Hunter

I use it all the time.
It's just a stupid, outdated word.

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Ratttking

lol, nice one.
on the other hand, it IS deeply insulting to me when someone calls me republican. i don't want to be lumped in with that bigoted trash.
domokun stargate

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Good; the word shouldn't be used by anyone

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
2sarahgate
Ratttking

lol, nice one.
on the other hand, it IS deeply insulting to me when someone calls me republican. i don't want to be lumped in with that bigoted trash.
domokun stargate
That's starting to be how I feel when people call me American.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff