Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
In Defense of Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries
More here

Quote:
Getty ImagesIt's the apology heard 'round the world: Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries recently issued a global mea culpa addressing controversial statements he made in 2006 regarding his company's policy toward plus-size shoppers.

More on Yahoo! Shine: Abercrombie & Fitch Attack Video Aims to Dress Homeless Everywhere in "Cool Kid" Brand

Jeffries posted on A&F's Facebook page: "I want to address some of my comments that have been circulating from a 2006 interview. While I believe this 7-year-old, resurrected quote has been taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense. A&F is an aspirational brand that, like most specialty apparel brands, targets its marketing at a particular segment of customers. However, we care about the broader communities in which we operate and are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion. We hire good people who share these values. We are completely opposed to any discrimination, bullying, derogatory characterizations or other anti-social behavior based on race, gender, body type or other individual characteristics."

More on Yahoo! Controversial Fashion Designer Denied Teaching Gig at City School

The note, written on Wednesday, has garnered 3,500 likes, 1,000 shares, more than 2,000 comments. It has also triggered a fiery debate. "People are only sorry when they're caught," wrote one commenter. Another: "You are back peddling and nothing more." But Jeffries' supporters were adamant that his apology was unnecessary. "There's other options, shop at other stores, workout and diet if it's really hurting you that much that you can't wear the clothes." And "No apology needed; is this a serious problem in America? There aren't enough stores for overweight people to buy clothing? Really?"

The statements in question date back to 2006 when Jeffries told Salon, “[Sex appeal is] almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that.... In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely." His comments were resurrected in a recent Business Insider article in which Robin Lewis, founder and CEO of retail industry newsletter The Robin Report and co-author of The New Rules in Retail, said that the company wants only "thin and beautiful" consumers.

Whether an apology is necessary is hardly the point. His apology added insult to injury for many. For starters, clarifying seven years after the fact in the wake of a media firestorm sounds more like a desperate PR move than an attempt at making true amends. And Jeffries avoids responsibility by insisting that his words were "taken out of context" and "interpreted in a manner that caused offense." Instead he blames reporters for mincing his words and the public for misunderstanding him. He further offends by making pat statements about the company's commitment to diversity but doesn't offer any evidence or explain how the brand will move forward in regard to a more inclusive audience. People have been aware of (and have likely railed against) Jeffries' policies since 2006 but the company hasn't done much to expand their "cool, sexy, thin" image by employing more diverse models or including plus-sizes. During a recent ABC investigation, undercover reporters were told that the store didn't carry XL or XXL for women.

All that said, is it time to cut some Jeffries some slack? Selecting a target audience is just Marketing 101. In order for a business to succeed, it needs to identify a demographic audience; everything from its gender, ethnicity, and educational level, down to the particulars of its personality. This not only creates brand familiarity but helps companies carve out their niche in a crowded market. And catering to a young, hip, attractive audience is hardly a crime—A&F competitors Urban Outfitters, Aeropostale, and Hollister follow suit, as do luxury brands Chanel, YSL, and Gucci (which in addition to ignoring the plus-size market sell clothes only to the wealthy elite). For that matter, curvy retailer Lane Bryant also has its niche. As one Facebook commenter put it: "Plus size stores don't sell tiny clothes. No one seems to be bothered by that."

Adding fuel to the flame: Weight is an inflammatory, politically incorrect topic and people go to great lengths to avoid the word "overweight" or be perceived as sizeists. Jeffries biggest offense may be less his prejudices and more his unfiltered honesty; he broke the social contract: You're not supposed to say these things out loud. As Lewis told Yahoo! Shine: “This has always been their business model and lots of companies do it. You need a target audience but Jeffries doesn’t have to be so blatant about it."

The best way for the offended to deal with a man who Salon described as wanting "desperately to look like his target customer (the casually flawless college kid), [who] has aggressively transformed himself from a classically handsome man into a cartoonish physical specimen: dyed hair, perfectly white teeth, golden tan, bulging biceps, wrinkle-free face, and big, Angelina Jolie lips" is to ignore him. Don't shop at his stores, don't engage in online debates, and don't let him define your self-worth.

I think it's a stupid argument if the person talking about "plus sized stores" is thinking big and tall. People over 6 feet have trouble finding anything in their size without having to custom order. Whereas average sized people have no problem finding clothes anywhere. Having Big and Talls add regular clothing ends up pushing back the regular merchandise.
Mike Jeffires is an narcissistic social moron. Period. His insults and his pseudo-apologies for his insults are equal in value and are about as attractive and interesting as his clothing line.

Clean Sex Symbol

emotion_facepalm

why do these people even bother apologizing?

Aged Lunatic

Wow, didn't think the Pale Orc's butthole was that tender, but it seems that calling him out was enough to get him to fall over himself in apology. Good times.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
So he's saying they are an elitist brand that isn't exclusionary? hahah!

And I agree with the article that carving out a target audience is marketing 101. I don't really have a problem with that any more than I don't have a problem with me not supporting overpriced brands that want me to pay big money to have their name plastered across my shirt. (Hollister anyone?)

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
This is all just a result of their marketing strategy. If you can't normally wear the clothes they sell, then just go shop somewhere else. Most of my clothes are from Target, Hot Topic, or Rue 21. My sisters, on the other hand, can't always wear the clothes from these stores. The best example would be with finding nice clothes, like the kind you'd wear to church or a job interview. I can usually find something I like at Target, but my sister has to go to Lane Bryant. It's just how it works.

But he really shouldn't have said it out loud himself anyways. Not in an interview.

Feral Nymph

GunsmithKitten
Wow, didn't think the Pale Orc's butthole was that tender, but it seems that calling him out was enough to get him to fall over himself in apology. Good times.

Oh, please. Did you actually read his response?

Quote:
I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense.

He's sorry people were offended. He's not sorry about what he said.

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
Why does it really matter?

If you're bigger, go shop at a plus-size store.

Plus-size stores discriminate against average people, then.

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
If they support diversity why did they make an employee with a prosthetic arm work only in the back? Or why did they fire a Muslim woman for wanting to wear her religious headgear?

Shameless Nerd

27,375 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Yeah, not buying his 'apology'. But I didn't really care anyways. He's a douche and nothing he says will change that, he could do something to change it but it seems he is unwilling to.

Sexy Vampire

18,325 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
s l i p p e r y d i c k
emotion_facepalm

why do these people even bother apologizing?

caligulasAquarium

Because it makes the vapid individuals who shop at his stores think that he may actually give a ********?

We were discussing this in my Business class. Truth be told, I also think the argument that average sized people don't go into stores like Big 'N Tall or Lane Bryant and demand smaller clothes is pretty stupid as well.

One, because it's really unrealistic. I mean, if these people DID go into these stores and show there was a demand for their products in smaller sizes, no doubt BnT and LB would jump on that. Businesses are all about making money. And if they thought they could make money by catering to more "average" sized people, they'd do it.

The people who make this argument don't understand that some people want to wear fashionable clothes, and can't lose weight, or just don't fit the body type of that store, and that's not fair.

Two, BnT and LB serve "niche" markets, because stores like A&F will not.

A&F serves "average" sized people, thus making them more accessible to "trendy" skinny people, and less accessible for those who don't fit their "target" demographic (Which is about 67% of the country, if you wanna get specific). And even if you do walk in there, and you do fit in their clothes, they do their best to make you feel bad about your body. A woman I know (My partner for my business project, actually), said she walked in there, and she wears a size eight. The smallest she could fit into at A&F was a fourteen. She's very skinny, and very healthy.

That's not even counting the time A&F got backlash from saying they'd rather burn their clothes than donate them to charity.
            User Image

User Image

Clean Sex Symbol

Minerva de Sade

]Because it makes the vapid individuals who shop at his stores think that he may actually give a ********?

Lol I know, It was a bit of a rhetorical question.

Minerva de Sade

We were discussing this in my Business class. Truth be told, I also think the argument that average sized people don't go into stores like Big 'N Tall or Lane Bryant and demand smaller clothes is pretty stupid as well.

One, because it's really unrealistic. I mean, if these people DID go into these stores and show there was a demand for their products in smaller sizes, no doubt BnT and LB would jump on that. Businesses are all about making money. And if they thought they could make money by catering to more "average" sized people, they'd do it.

The people who make this argument don't understand that some people want to wear fashionable clothes, and can't lose weight, or just don't fit the body type of that store, and that's not fair.

I had never heard of that argument. I understand how it's not fair, but I also don't see much that can be done. No one should force a store to sell clothes that fits everyone.

I also think fashion is stupid. I don't understand the desire people have to wear A and F clothes. If the asses don't want to sell you clothes that fit then let them go out of business.

Minerva de Sade

Two, BnT and LB serve "niche" markets, because stores like A&F will not.

A&F serves "average" sized people, thus making them more accessible to "trendy" skinny people, and less accessible for those who don't fit their "target" demographic (Which is about 67% of the country, if you wanna get specific). And even if you do walk in there, and you do fit in their clothes, they do their best to make you feel bad about your body. A woman I know (My partner for my business project, actually), said she walked in there, and she wears a size eight. The smallest she could fit into at A&F was a fourteen. She's very skinny, and very healthy.

Like I said before, not much can be done.

Minerva de Sade

That's not even counting the time A&F got backlash from saying they'd rather burn their clothes than donate them to charity

Had not heard of that. I think halmart burns their products too instead of donating them. But then again hallmark is just cards, not clothes.

Cute Punk

Apologize all you want buddy but your products still look like s**t to me only douches in high school would wear or just elitist douches in general, that sums it up nicely too. emotion_yatta

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Plus sized people have trouble?
Try being five foot nothing. Or being well, a dwarf. Believe me, I know how hard it is to find adult clothes when you fit in nothing but child sizes.
I've seen Fitch clothing stores and never entered them, why? Cause I'm not rich enough, nor tall enough, nor attractive enough to be in the store. But for those a little hurt over this, I got a nice thing for all of you.
Though WARNING! The the word douchebag, is in it. For sensitive ears, be sure to keep your small babies away.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff