Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee says expecting Christians to accept same-sex marriage is "like asking someone who's Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped shrimp in their deli."

He also called homosexuality part of a lifestyle, like drinking and swearing.

The former Arkansas governor, winner of the 2008 Iowa caucuses and likely 2016 contender's comments came during an appearance Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union," as he defended an excerpt from his new book in which he says he has friends and associates who are gay.

"People can be my friends who have lifestyles that are not necessarily my lifestyle. I don't shut people out of my circle or out of my life because they have a different point of view," Huckabee told CNN's Dana Bash, while deflecting a question about whether he believes being gay is a choice.

"I don't drink alcohol, but gosh -- a lot of my friends, maybe most of them, do. You know, I don't use profanity, but believe me, I've got a lot of friends who do. Some people really like classical music and ballet and opera -- it's not my cup of tea," Huckabee said.

He also offered a nod to legislation that some conservatives have advocated on the national and state levels protecting businesses from discrimination claims for adhering to their owners' religious views.

"I'd like to think that there's room in America for people who have different points of view without screaming and shouting and wanting to shut their businesses down," he said. "What worries me in this new environment we're in, it's not just that someone might disagree, they don't want to argue with me, even take a different point of view. They want to close someone's business down."

Huckabee pointed to President Barack Obama's 2008 opposition to same-sex marriage, but said there's no chance he'll ever drop his opposition to gay marriage.

Huckabee compares being gay to drinking, swearing

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
He also compared it to liking classical music, its sub-genre opera, and ballet, which is to say he thinks it is like having highbrow tastes, but I don't see the OP putting that bit in his title.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
He also compared it to liking classical music, its sub-genre opera, and ballet, which is to say he thinks it is like having highbrow tastes, but I don't see the OP putting that bit in his title.

But because someone in a state doesn't like opera and ballet, should they be banned?

That deli comparison is stupid, because this country isn't Christian, dammit. Just like we don't have a recognized language, we don't have a recognized religion. So that comparison can be shoved right back up his tight turkey.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

But because someone in a state doesn't like opera and ballet, should they be banned?

That deli comparison is stupid, because this country isn't Christian, dammit. Just like we don't have a recognized language, we don't have a recognized religion. So that comparison can be shoved right back up his tight turkey.
That brings up questions relating to states' rights, of which we do retain several.

We do not have an official religion, but as for an official language, it depends. If a person wishes to become a citizen, they must attain a degree of fluency sufficient to take and pass the citizenship exam in English.

Regarding civil marriage ceremonies, yes, the deli comparison is stupid. As far as I know, no religious institutions are yet required to perform gay marriage ceremonies, but perhaps that is what he fears might happen, and if that is what he is talking about, then the comparison is valid.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

That brings up questions relating to states' rights, of which we do retain several.

We do not have an official religion, but as for an official language, it depends. If a person wishes to become a citizen, they must attain a degree of fluency sufficient to take and pass the citizenship exam in English.

Regarding civil marriage ceremonies, yes, the deli comparison is stupid. As far as I know, no religious institutions are yet required to perform gay marriage ceremonies, but perhaps that is what he fears might happen, and if that is what he is talking about, then the comparison is valid.

As far as the article's concerned, it's just his opposition to gay marriage.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I love Huckabee. You all can take what he said and fall out, be offended, whatever. But he doesn't HATE anyone. It's not okay to try to force someone to think the way you do. People are people and hating them because of their sexuality seems unfair too. Agree to disagree.

Dedicated Student

He is free to think that in all honesty, but what other reason would there to be to deny gay marriage other than a religious one? If there isn't a secular reason then people have no right by constituion to deny people who wish to wed. They can't make it a law barring two people of the same sex or whom aren't adhereing to their assigned gender from marrying. It's unconstitutional.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

That deli quote would be relevant if the only people who could officiate wedding ceremonies were religious officials of religions that condemn homosexuality.

As it is, bans on gay marriage interfere with churches who would be happy to perform such ceremonies, but can't due to the bans, not to mention the fact that for-profit chapels in some places and courthouses and government offices are supposed to be unaffected by any kind of religious proscriptions, while ship's captains and other such officials with the power to marry are under no obligation to follow any religious code, either.

Also, the "no recognised language" thing doesn't belong in the same sentence as "no recognised religion," since we actually could relatively easily have an officially recognised language, but it's right there in the Bill of Rights that we are not to establish an official religion, so it's less that we don't have one, and more that we're obligated to not have one.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I wonder how all these anti-gays would feel if we tried to force them not to look at or interact with women sexually.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Well, at least he doesn't condemn or hate gays; that's something. It's not like not accepting gay marriage will stop it.
He raises some obvious points. Don't ask people that think homosexuality is evil and wrong to start thinking the other way for no ******** reason.

Being gay is sometimes a lifestyle choice. Unless you are being raped, having sexual relations is a choice and therefore being sexually active is a lifestyle. Loving dicks, however is not a lifestyle.

If he says he is against equality, I won't vote for him. Otherwise, I don't see any problem.
What a terrible piece of s**t.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
A used to be Baptist minster isn't a homosexual supporter? WOW...that's new...oh wait....

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Keltoi Samurai
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

That deli quote would be relevant if the only people who could officiate wedding ceremonies were religious officials of religions that condemn homosexuality.

As it is, bans on gay marriage interfere with churches who would be happy to perform such ceremonies, but can't due to the bans, not to mention the fact that for-profit chapels in some places and courthouses and government offices are supposed to be unaffected by any kind of religious proscriptions, while ship's captains and other such officials with the power to marry are under no obligation to follow any religious code, either.

Also, the "no recognised language" thing doesn't belong in the same sentence as "no recognised religion," since we actually could relatively easily have an officially recognised language, but it's right there in the Bill of Rights that we are not to establish an official religion, so it's less that we don't have one, and more that we're obligated to not have one.
Do you know whose rules a ship captain is bound by? I've always been curious regarding marriages aboard ship.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
logan the god of candy
He raises some obvious points. Don't ask people that think homosexuality is evil and wrong to start thinking the other way for no ******** reason.

Being gay is sometimes a lifestyle choice. Unless you are being raped, having sexual relations is a choice and therefore being sexually active is a lifestyle. Loving dicks, however is not a lifestyle.

If he says he is against equality, I won't vote for him. Otherwise, I don't see any problem.

He says he's against same-sex marriage and thinks that laws that allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious views are good. That's being against equality. Not to mention unconstitutional.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff