Welcome to Gaia! ::

On Monday, erstwhile Fox News personality Glenn Beck announced that he has become anti-war because war is too “progressive.” RingWingWatch.org reported that Beck said he is against the possibility of a war in Syria because it would be all about oil, and that in the end, Pres. Barack Obama is the same as former Vice Pres. d**k Cheney.

Of late, Beck has been opening his daily Internet-only TV program with a “morning meeting” segment, which Right Wing Watch described as “Beck lecturing a bored-looking group of staffers who peck away on their computers while Beck hectors them with whatever pseudo-historical lesson/quasi-spiritual prophecy he is promoting on that particular day.”

On Monday, the topic was the possibility of U.S. military intervention in Syria.

“Here’s the president,” he began. “Did this guy get any of it right? Any of it? The answer is no.”

Beck explained that he used to like the idea of the U.S. toppling other country’s dictators and “spreading Democracy,” but all of that has changed since he realized that “was progressive thinking.”

“That’s why I’m against war,” he said, “because it’s a progressive idea.”

The sentiments echoed those he expressed in a column on Monday in which he wrote, “I started researching and my eyes were opened to the fact that progressives were marching forward while regular liberals and conservatives were simply being used. That’s my pivot point and the main reason why I’m against war in Syria today.”

“The time for politics and party loyalty is over. Do your own homework,” he exhorted his readers. “If you just take the administration’s word for it (or John McCain or John Boehner or Lindsey Graham’s for that matter) that it’s ‘slam dunk’ case, I believe you are part of the problem. Likewise, if you are against it just because I said so but you really don’t know why – you are part of the problem too. You are stopping, dare I say it – progress.”

Last week, Beck lumped Pres. George W. Bush and Sens. John McCain (R-AZ) and Lindsay Graham (R-SC) into the doctrine of progressivism, tweeting, “(R)epublican Progressives (McCain/Bush/Graham) love nation building. Spreading of ‘Democracy’ remember ‘freedom is on the march?’”

It is worth mentioning that the penultimate aim of progressive foreign policy as set forth in 1918 by Pres. Woodrow Wilson is the equal participation in world peace by all powers, and that the philosophy behind the policy was explicitly anti-Imperialist.

In the 14 points published in January of 1918, Wilson wrote, “The day of conquest and aggrandizement is gone by; so is also the day of secret covenants entered into in the interest of particular governments and likely at some unlooked-for moment to upset the peace of the world.”

The aim of the treaty that ended World War One, said Wilson, was “that the world be made fit and safe to live in; and particularly that it be made safe for every peace-loving nation which, like our own, wishes to live its own life, determine its own institutions, be assured of justice and fair dealing by the other peoples of the world as against force and selfish aggression.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/10/glenn-beck-im-anti-war-now-because-war-is-a-progressive-idea/

Oh Glenn. We already know you're a p***k. You don't need to profess it.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Hardly surprising.

With the Dems becoming pro-war, since one of their camp has chosen the warmongering route, it only stands to reason that the Repubs would become anti-war.

I was against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan back in the Bush era, got me labeled a Democrat and a Communist. I am against the proposed war in Syria, so I guess that makes me a Republican and a religious whack-a-mole now.

When next a Republican gets elected and decides to fight another senseless war against some bit of inconsequential desert, I'll be back to being called a Commie Democrat, I'm sure ( assuming I live long enough to see another Republican get elected, of course )
Keltoi Samurai
Hardly surprising.

With the Dems becoming pro-war, since one of their camp has chosen the warmongering route, it only stands to reason that the Repubs would become anti-war.

I was against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan back in the Bush era, got me labeled a Democrat and a Communist. I am against the proposed war in Syria, so I guess that makes me a Republican and a religious whack-a-mole now.

When next a Republican gets elected and decides to fight another senseless war against some bit of inconsequential desert, I'll be back to being called a Commie Democrat, I'm sure ( assuming I live long enough to see another Republican get elected, of course )
The Crimson Brigade welcomes you... and your weapons! GO GET YOUR FIGHT ON and bring members to the team!

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
[NPC] Arc
Keltoi Samurai
Hardly surprising.

The Crimson Brigade welcomes you... and your weapons! GO GET YOUR FIGHT ON and bring members to the team!

Great Green Globs of Greasy Grimy Grunny Guts, but I wish this would stop.

Rainbow Smoker

5,650 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lord aKHAANaton

Shine on, you crazy diamond. emotion_awesome
Keltoi Samurai
[NPC] Arc
Keltoi Samurai
Hardly surprising.

I blocked this guy. He shouldn't be able to post in my threads.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Lord aKHAANaton
Keltoi Samurai
[NPC] Arc
Keltoi Samurai
Hardly surprising.

It would seem that the rules of the forums that we are all held to does not apply to NPCs
Keltoi Samurai
Lord aKHAANaton
Keltoi Samurai
[NPC] Arc
Keltoi Samurai
Hardly surprising.

It would seem that the rules of the forums that we are all held to does not apply to NPCs
Join the Crimson Brigade team, see the world, and get into fights - simple as that!

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
La Veuve Zin
Lord aKHAANaton

Shine on, you crazy diamond. emotion_awesome

He''s almost right, is the sad thing. He's just too blinded by partisan politics to see the bigger part of it all.

See, war is a progressive idea . . . when progressives are in power. It's a conservative idea when conservatives are at the reigns. Quite literally the ONLY reason he's against this war is because he's against the political ideology that spawned it, which means he came to the right conclusion for the wrong reasons. It's like getting the answer right in an algebra class, but only accidentally, as the work is all wrong.

This is no different from Bush's wars, with even the same justifications being given for Syria that was given for Iraq: Weapons that we cannot tolerate. Were a Republican at the helm, this ******** be leading the charge for sending in . . . other people's children to go and fight and die in a desert for nothing.

Hallowed Smoker

They're anti-Obama. Not anti anything else. The fact is, Obama played them like a fiddle. They wanted him to take action, so he put the action in their hands.

They can't do it, with out appeasing "his wants". So they're against it.

It's called politics.

Fashionable Conversationalist

11,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100
Mister George Kapland
They're anti-Obama. Not anti anything else. The fact is, Obama played them like a fiddle. They wanted him to take action, so he put the action in their hands.

It's called politics.

That's basically it, no?

He wants to stop the use of chemical weapons? - Warmonger!
He doesn't want to put boots on the ground? - Weak leader!
He toyed with the fact of acting alone? - Tyrant!
He decided to go to Congress? - Coward!
He worked out what looks like a deal with Putin? - Well... well... What would St. Reagan do?

That's what happens when most of your voting base is comprised of crazy, uneducated, unwashed, God-fearing, gun-toting southern hicks.

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Keltoi Samurai

He''s almost right, is the sad thing. He's just too blinded by partisan politics to see the bigger part of it all.

See, war is a progressive idea . . . when progressives are in power. It's a conservative idea when conservatives are at the reigns. Quite literally the ONLY reason he's against this war is because he's against the political ideology that spawned it, which means he came to the right conclusion for the wrong reasons. It's like getting the answer right in an algebra class, but only accidentally, as the work is all wrong.

This is no different from Bush's wars, with even the same justifications being given for Syria that was given for Iraq: Weapons that we cannot tolerate. Were a Republican at the helm, this ******** be leading the charge for sending in . . . other people's children to go and fight and die in a desert for nothing.

It's hard to speak about the hypotheticals and assume you know how an imaginary scenario would play out. It's hard to know exactly the ONLY reason why someone would be against going into Syria with President Obama as Commander in Chief.

Making assumptions, well, you know how the saying goes.

If in 2016 a Republican were to win the Presidential election and Beck flopped back again, you'd be correct. He's only been a political commentator since 2000 (I'm pretty sure, that's when the Glenn Beck Show started) so he's only been around to change/evolve his views once. You could be right, but until then, assumptions are assumptions.

As a Constitutional Libertarian, I'm not really a fan of Beck because he's so paranoid, view-hungry, and I just don't like his personality compared to other Opinion Shows.

Which is why I disregard any post about him from the Left, Center, or Right. I also disregard OP's that copy and past things from articles without using the quote format.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Olya

That's basically it, no?

He wants to stop the use of chemical weapons? - Warmonger!
He doesn't want to put boots on the ground? - Weak leader!
He toyed with the fact of acting alone? - Tyrant!
He decided to go to Congress? - Coward!
He worked out what looks like a deal with Putin? - Well... well... What would St. Reagan do?

That's what happens when most of your voting base is comprised of crazy, uneducated, unwashed, God-fearing, gun-toting southern hicks.

So here's me. Against going into Syria and I don't like President Obama.

You're assuming that I have certain views and a certain socio-economic background based on the fact that I highly dislike President Obama?

To answer the questions you posted above, these would be my answers, the real answers from someone who really really disliked President Obama.

Quote:
He wants to stop the use of chemical weapons?

Sure, everyone does. Did you perhaps mean stop the use of chemical weapons in Syria? Well, it's not for sure if weapons are being used, and if they are being used, by whom they're being used. So let's, again, not make assumptions.

Quote:
He doesn't want to put boots on the ground?

Fantastic. Don't put boots in the ground, don't put planes or drones in the sky. Let's follow a Washingtonian type of diplomacy here and not get involved anymore.

Quote:
He toyed with the fact of acting alone?

That is tyrannical under the Constitution. Congress can only declare war. But after passing the War Powers Resolution for Nixon, President Obama would receive his 60 days with 30 day extension.
But as history shows that means nothing. President Lincoln asked for 60-90 days of troops as the Civil War started, the conflict lasted 4 years, AND had a somewhat reasonable sense of what victory would be beforehand.

Quote:
He decided to go to Congress?

This was really puzzling when he went to Congress. Sure he's asking for their approval, but it seems at this point after the accidental diplomacy with Putin that the Senate may postpone their vote under Senator Reid while the House may continue with a "No" vote. But that doesn't make President Obama a coward, it just really confuses certain people.

Quote:
He worked out what looks like a deal with Putin?

President Obama worked out a deal with Putin? That's really how you think it happened?
Well Secretary Kerry answered a hypothetical question and made a mistake. Putin jumped on that mistake and now Secretary Kerry and President Obama are dealing with the consequences. Putin has orchestrated this deal and we have to wait and see what really happens.

St. Reagan? haha that's funny. Looks like you might think he's more of a Saint than the majority of people I know that have similar views to me.
Mister George Kapland

It's called politics.
They behave like they're in kindergarten, the only difference is that politicians do a lot more damage. I hate politics ...

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Don't worry, as soon as there's another Republican president, he'll be pro-war again.

******** hypocrites.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces