55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
washu_2004
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Can we take away their subsidiaries once and for all so that organic, true organic and not greenwashed, gets competitive? And these stupid outbreaks stop?
Organic chickens run the same risk of getting salmonella as any others.

Ah yes, but would they have antibiotic resistant salmonella to infect people with?

I think that risk would be lowered.

Antibiotic resistant salmonella is already in the wild so even certified organically raised chicken can be infected with it. But the main cause is incorrectly prepared food , food that is at risk should always be well cooked and served hot , and treated safe water (water from a water treatment plant, or boiled) should only be used during preparation. Also hands need to be washed thoroughly after any contact with animals and after using the toilet before handling food.

UHG! You have no idea how many people do not wash their hands! I know a lot of men don't.

"I only pull down my pants. I don't actually touch anything" My husband's excuse. talk2hand
To which I say, "Dude, your hands are down there so it does not matter. You still need to wash your hands!"
I noticed in public bathrooms that some women don't wash their hands either.

Me? I cannot stand not washing my hands! EW! burning_eyes

There is an old saying that says
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"
This is one of the reasons why.
The hands are the number ONE fastest way in which germs and illnesses are spread.
Sneezing is the second fastest way

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Eveille
Can we take away their subsidiaries once and for all so that organic, true organic and not greenwashed, gets competitive? And these stupid outbreaks stop?

The solution to "organic food is too expensive" really shouldn't be "make all food more expensive so organic is more competitive."

I mean, that's just logic, right there. Unless, of course, you're a trust fund kid.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Ah yes, but would they have antibiotic resistant salmonella to infect people with?

They probably would actually, and even if they didn't, I can see the risk of every other type of salmonella being higher in organic birds. Salmonella is virtually endemic in domestic fowl no matter how they are raised. The real problem is on the consumer end. Chickens (and eggs) must be cooked thoroughly and all cooking surfaces and utensils - including your hands - properly sanitized to avoid the possibility of infection. It is possible to buy pasteurized eggs for making things like meringue and mayonnaise in which the eggs are raw or very lightly cooked, but chicken itself must be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 F*. Wash everything that has come into contact with the raw meat in very hot soapy water, rinse, then spray with a bleach solution and let dry.

*Salmonella can also be killed at lower temperatures if it is held at them longer: 131 F for one hour, 140 F for a half hour.

Chickens are some of the dumbest, dirtiest birds on this planet.

It's like the moment they're domesticated, they decide "whelp, time to s**t on literally everything I can get my cloaca adjacent to."

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

They probably would actually, and even if they didn't, I can see the risk of every other type of salmonella being higher in organic birds. Salmonella is virtually endemic in domestic fowl no matter how they are raised. The real problem is on the consumer end. Chickens (and eggs) must be cooked thoroughly and all cooking surfaces and utensils - including your hands - properly sanitized to avoid the possibility of infection. It is possible to buy pasteurized eggs for making things like meringue and mayonnaise in which the eggs are raw or very lightly cooked, but chicken itself must be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 F*. Wash everything that has come into contact with the raw meat in very hot soapy water, rinse, then spray with a bleach solution and let dry.

*Salmonella can also be killed at lower temperatures if it is held at them longer: 131 F for one hour, 140 F for a half hour.

Unless they came in contact with other infected and antibiotic loaded chickens, I don't see how they would develop antibiotic resistant salmonella on their own.

The consumer is very much to blame for cooking practices, you are correct. However, they can't be blamed for the antibiotic resistance. That is the part I am concerned with: stopping antibiotic resistant diseases from coming at us through our food. Your, and the other user's solution (cook it better and safer) is a good start, but I think prevention should be the first step.

For prevention, all I can come up with is truly organically raised food. No antibiotics, no hormones, just chickens in a yard or a field or whereever chickens like to be, eating whatever it is chickens should actually eat.

Their own feces. That is the main thing domesticated chickens enjoy eating, more than any other thing, and that is also how they come to be full of all the salmonella, including the medically-resistant kind.

Seriously, if you've ever worked on a farm, you'd find that any duty is preferable to working with chickens. Little bastards are disgusting. They defecate on everything, defecate in their food, defecate in their drinking water, and then they just go right on eating and drinking it, right afterwards.

The whole species is a bunch of fecalphiliacs.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Unless they came in contact with other infected and antibiotic loaded chickens, I don't see how they would develop antibiotic resistant salmonella on their own.

The consumer is very much to blame for cooking practices, you are correct. However, they can't be blamed for the antibiotic resistance. That is the part I am concerned with: stopping antibiotic resistant diseases from coming at us through our food. Your, and the other user's solution (cook it better and safer) is a good start, but I think prevention should be the first step.

For prevention, all I can come up with is truly organically raised food. No antibiotics, no hormones, just chickens in a yard or a field or whereever chickens like to be, eating whatever it is chickens should actually eat.

Their own feces. That is the main thing domesticated chickens enjoy eating, more than any other thing, and that is also how they come to be full of all the salmonella, including the medically-resistant kind.

Seriously, if you've ever worked on a farm, you'd find that any duty is preferable to working with chickens. Little bastards are disgusting. They defecate on everything, defecate in their food, defecate in their drinking water, and then they just go right on eating and drinking it, right afterwards.

I have heard on several occasions throughout my life that they are stupid enough to drown when it rains. Apparently they hold their heads upward (as if looking at the sky) with their mouths open and let it fill with water. I dunno if they drink rain water that way and just forget, or what. I find it curious though.

Chicken guano is good for any garden - as long as it is NOT fresh. It has to be composted for a year first.

Ferocious Browser

Keltoi Samurai
Eveille

The solution to "organic food is too expensive" really shouldn't be "make all food more expensive so organic is more competitive."

I mean, that's just logic, right there. Unless, of course, you're a trust fund kid.

I am not a trust fund kid, I just think that if you are going to go around yelling about capitalism and Free markets, like our politicians do, then you should back that up and make it happen. Either everyone in the food industry gets the subsidies, or no one does. I feel the same abut energy industries. It's not a level playing field when we help one guy, for no particular reason, and not the other, who has a myriad of reasons to deserve that help more.

Ferocious Browser

Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Delightful gonk

However, I still think that is preferable to sticking them in cages to s**t on each other, load them with antibiotics and then keep creating and accelerating the evolution of these diseases.

I think anything we can do to slow that evolution down, we should do.

Hallowed Wench

Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

I'm calling shenanigans on you.

How much experience with chickens do you actually have? I have never in my four years of chicken ownership seen my bird eat her own s**t on purpose, the closest being when I was cleaning the coup she thought I had food and grabbed the paper towel I was using to pickup crap and soiled bedding with. She wasn't happy and spent a few minutes cleaning out her mouth and beak.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille
Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Delightful gonk

However, I still think that is preferable to sticking them in cages to s**t on each other, load them with antibiotics and then keep creating and accelerating the evolution of these diseases.

What do you propose doing with organically raised birds who develop a treatable illness, kill them on the spot and cremate the corpse? That's a terribly inefficient and cruel way to farm.

Ferocious Browser

Ratttking
Eveille
Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Delightful gonk

What do you propose doing with organically raised birds who develop a treatable illness, kill them on the spot and cremate the corpse? That's a terribly inefficient and cruel way to farm.

They, as the individual, can be treated. I just do not think that giving antibiotics to everything we eat, as a matter of course, is a good thing, and this article agrees with me.

That or just kill it and sell it on the spot at a lower price with a little tag warning to cook it properly.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Keltoi Samurai
Eveille

Delightful gonk

They, as the individual, can be treated. I just do not think that giving antibiotics to everything we eat, as a matter of course, is a good thing, and this article agrees with me.

That or just kill it and sell it on the spot at a lower price with a little tag warning to cook it properly.
It can, but it will no longer qualify as organic, will it? Do you think they will then take steps to move it it a regular farm or just kill and discard it?

You cannot legally sell for consumption the meat of an animal that was known to be diseased at the time of its death. All packaged chickens that I have seen come with instructions to cook them properly. You don't seem to comprehend the extent to which disease prevention falls on the consumer.

Ferocious Browser

Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Keltoi Samurai
Eveille

Delightful gonk

It can, but it will no longer qualify as organic, will it? Do you think they will then take steps to move it it a regular farm or just kill and discard it?

You cannot legally sell for consumption the meat of an animal that was known to be diseased at the time of its death. All packaged chickens that I have seen come with instructions to cook them properly. You don't seem to comprehend the extent to which disease prevention falls on the consumer.

I understand it falls to the consumer, I just threw an idea out there because you asked.

My main concern in this discussion, however, was in the prevention of the appearance of the diseases in the first place. Cooking just deals with it once it is already out there and untreatable. I think it is a better idea to prevent that untreatability from evolving in the first place (or at least slowing it down to a natural rate).

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Delightful gonk

I understand it falls to the consumer, I just threw an idea out there because you asked.

My main concern in this discussion, however, was in the prevention of the appearance of the diseases in the first place. Cooking just deals with it once it is already out there and untreatable. I think it is a better idea to prevent that untreatability from evolving in the first place (or at least slowing it down to a natural rate).
Well, besides its being illegal and beggaring common sense, your idea calls to mind this question: would you want to eat a chicken described as being killed because it was sick? neutral

*sighs* You don't seem to understand my point, which is that all chickens should be regarded by consumers as potentially infected with the disease and utmost precautions taken in handling them. That is all the prevention that is needed to keep anyone from getting sick from chicken.

What precisely is the natural rate of evolution among salmonella species?

Ferocious Browser

Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

Delightful gonk

Well, besides its being illegal and beggaring common sense, your idea calls to mind this question: would you want to eat a chicken described as being killed because it was sick? neutral

*sighs* You don't seem to understand my point, which is that all chickens should be regarded by consumers as potentially infected with the disease and utmost precautions taken in handling them. That is all the prevention that is needed to keep anyone from getting sick from chicken.

What precisely is the natural rate of evolution among salmonella species?

I don't know what the natural state is actually, that is a good question. My argument sort of depends upon that rate being slower than the current rate that is happening due to antibiotic usage being rampant in farm animals.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Getting away from everyone else blaming the company and idiot consumers for the salmonella out break, I really don't think that the Center for Disease Control and anything related to it, like the PulseNet mentioned in the article, needed to be shutdown (or whatever) like a lot of other government-related facilities. Not only do people get sick often and it can be hard to diagnose, outbreaks such as this can happen at anytime. The CDC is definitely one of the more important aspects of the government even today because they are the only ones who can basically tell people how they can avoid getting sick.

And yeah, that was the main thing that I got out of the article, as opposed to the need to stop using antibiotics on animals. Right now, I could care less about that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff