Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
like a ‘psych patient’

A Syracuse University student with a bad cold was locked in a hospital psych ward for six days and treated like a patient in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” she alleges in a shocking lawsuit.

Sophomore Kaitlin Taylor says she went to the campus health center in September 2013 complaining of flu-like symptoms — fever, phlegm, chest congestion, coughing.

That spiraled into a bizarre weeklong nightmare.

While waiting for care, Taylor chatted with a counselor, saying she wanted to change her arts major and take a leave of absence that semester, but missed a deadline because her computer was stolen.

Finally, told that no one could write her a prescription, she was driven to nearby St. Joseph’s Hospital, and dumped on the sidewalk in front of the emergency room.

Taylor waited in the ER, feeling sicker by the minute.

“I was getting stressed by the circumstances and the surroundings,” she said in a written account for The Post. “I thought I’d only be there for an hour or two.”

She was led into an office where a psychiatrist spent 15 minutes speaking with her. Taylor explained she had been sick, not sleeping well, struggling to keep up with classwork and afraid to lose her scholarship.

The doctor told Taylor she would be kept for observation “just for the night.”

The shrink’s intake form cites the need for “involuntary treatment.” His scribbled notes give these reasons: “insomnia, pressured speech, disorganized, declining grades.”

Taylor was then ushered into an “observation room” with four other patients, some who fidgeted and stared at her. Two staffers, separated from the patients by a low wall, watched the group, but she still got no treatment.

“They hadn’t done anything for me or my cold. They didn’t take my blood pressure or even my temperature,” she said.

Taylor’s cellphone had died and the hospital refused to give her a recharger, she said.

A nurse told her “the more I cooperated the sooner they’d let me out, that I should take their pills and go along with whatever they told me to do,” she said.

Taylor said she was given powerful drugs: Risperdal, which is used to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, and Klonopin, used to treat panic disorder.

“They made us line up in front of a window and they gave out the pills, just like in the movie ‘Cuckoo’s Nest.’”

She finally called her mom, who rushed up with an uncle to get her out.

Her lawyer, Marc Held, who filed the suit in Manhattan Supreme Court, called her treatment “unfathomable.”

Taylor, who lives in Union County, NJ, has since transferred to Rutgers University.

A St. Joseph’s spokeswoman declined to comment, citing patient privacy and the pending litigation.

Syracuse attorney Matthew Larkin said the university “denies that it acted inappropriately in any way.”

I can't tell is she was stupid for talking to much or The Doctors were greedy and saw a easy catch.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Her story does not add up. I've been in emergency rooms. Hell, I spent the start of February in the hospital thanks to bad Mexican food mimicking appendicitis. (Seriously, they were ready to cut me open, all the doctors thought it was appendicitis) Her procedure for the emergency room doesn't add up.

For starters, if she went in and signed in saying she had a fever (and hopefully with what it was the last time she took it), coughing up junk, felt weak, had problems breathing or the like, she would NOT be taken to a psychiatrist first. She'd be evaluated by a nurse for those symptoms. Yet, she claims to be seen by a psychiatrist first for trouble sleeping, stress, and problems with school. From that alone, I'm inclined to believe she wrote on her emergency form that she was there for things related to not sleeping and sickness due to stress, expecting them to just know it was the flu. Because, as I said, what I know about the emergency room and her report just don't add up. They don't take someone coming in saying, "I have a fever of X, coughing, feeling weak, and was sent here from my school because they can't prescribe meds" to the psych ward. They will, however, take someone who says, "I'm here from my school because I'm stressed out and it's making me feel sick, I can't sleep, I have a huge responsibility with a scholarship, etc" to the psych ward.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Fireweed_honey
Her story does not add up. I've been in emergency rooms. Hell, I spent the start of February in the hospital thanks to bad Mexican food mimicking appendicitis. (Seriously, they were ready to cut me open, all the doctors thought it was appendicitis) Her procedure for the emergency room doesn't add up.

For starters, if she went in and signed in saying she had a fever (and hopefully with what it was the last time she took it), coughing up junk, felt weak, had problems breathing or the like, she would NOT be taken to a psychiatrist first. She'd be evaluated by a nurse for those symptoms. Yet, she claims to be seen by a psychiatrist first for trouble sleeping, stress, and problems with school. From that alone, I'm inclined to believe she wrote on her emergency form that she was there for things related to not sleeping and sickness due to stress, expecting them to just know it was the flu. Because, as I said, what I know about the emergency room and her report just don't add up. They don't take someone coming in saying, "I have a fever of X, coughing, feeling weak, and was sent here from my school because they can't prescribe meds" to the psych ward. They will, however, take someone who says, "I'm here from my school because I'm stressed out and it's making me feel sick, I can't sleep, I have a huge responsibility with a scholarship, etc" to the psych ward.

If the school mention what she said to the counselor, that may have explained it. I don't see where she signed anything.

On another note, my sister was injured where she worked and ended up in a wheel chair eventually because she couldn't walk for a period of time. She kept getting back spasms and her knees would buckle out from underneath her and her condition kept getting worse as time went by. Yet in spite of witnesses, she was sent by the doctor who was supposed to treat her, to go and see a psychiatrist saying that "it was all in her head". Turns out it was "all in her head" alright. She had had a stroke. But for a few years, she was being mistreated by her doctor.

Even with that in mind, I am appalled by what has apparently taken place for the young lady in the news article. Even while she was in the psyche ward, somebody should have taken care of her cold or flu - whatever it was, because it could have been a serious situation and if not even seen by a doctor... Obviously she was worried about other things that were on her mind. But that was no excuse. Even worse when shoving psyche drugs down her could have caused serious issues because she was not even evaluated medically for that. What if she had an allergy (perhaps serious) to some component in it? What if she had had a medical condition? Like if she had a heart condition. Heart conditions and psyche meds DO NOT MIX! And is the reason why I cannot use them. But what if she had some other medical condition that could have been made worse by those drugs?
That and the fact that she was basically forced to take them or possibly forced to stay in that ward for an extended stay (making her collage education and potential graduation and all, more difficult if not impossible)... without a doctor's or her parent's permission... it is a violation of her rights too.

Feral Nymph

Fireweed_honey

This. Her side of the story is sketchy as hell. You don't throw someone in inpatient involuntary lockup even just for 'I'm stressed out", whether or not they have the flu. And you don't throw klonapin at someone who is not expressing debilitating anxiety.

Quote:

“They made us line up in front of a window and they gave out the pills, just like in the movie ‘Cuckoo’s Nest.’”

How *else* do you think they hand out medicine, you whiny bint? rolleyes

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Nyadriel
Fireweed_honey

If the school mention what she said to the counselor, that may have explained it. I don't see where she signed anything.

On another note, my sister was injured where she worked and ended up in a wheel chair eventually because she couldn't walk for a period of time. She kept getting back spasms and her knees would buckle out from underneath her and her condition kept getting worse as time went by. Yet in spite of witnesses, she was sent by the doctor who was supposed to treat her, to go and see a psychiatrist saying that "it was all in her head". Turns out it was "all in her head" alright. She had had a stroke. But for a few years, she was being mistreated by her doctor.

Even with that in mind, I am appalled by what has apparently taken place for the young lady in the news article. Even while she was in the psyche ward, somebody should have taken care of her cold or flu - whatever it was, because it could have been a serious situation and if not even seen by a doctor... Obviously she was worried about other things that were on her mind. But that was no excuse. Even worse when shoving psyche drugs down her could have caused serious issues because she was not even evaluated medically for that. What if she had an allergy (perhaps serious) to some component in it? What if she had had a medical condition? Like if she had a heart condition. Heart conditions and psyche meds DO NOT MIX! And is the reason why I cannot use them. But what if she had some other medical condition that could have been made worse by those drugs?
That and the fact that she was basically forced to take them or possibly forced to stay in that ward for an extended stay (making her collage education and potential graduation and all, more difficult if not impossible)... without a doctor's or her parent's permission... it is a violation of her rights too.

All I know is, when you go into the emergency waiting room, you fill out paperwork as the first thing. This covers insurance and symptoms. This is where she'd put in what she was there at the emergency room for. Also, allergies are always covered before any medicine is prescribed. Otherwise, the hospital can be sued. She is also, I'm assuming, over 18, thus an adult in her own right, so she does not need her parent's permission to stay in a hospital, especially if the doctor seeing her thinks she needs to stay for observation.

As for not looking into her cold or flu in the psych ward, it all depends on what she told them. When I went in to the hospital with a possible appendicitis, if all I talked about was, "My tummy hurts and I'm under a lot of stress at work and school because blah blah blah", they would not have looked for a possible appendicitis. If I had appendicitis, and it burst, could I really blame the hospital or the doctors for not knowing that my complaints of a hurt tummy and stress were two different things? It's up to the patient to be as clear as possible. I have a feeling this girl was not clear since she states she talked to them about her stress and school, and no mention of the real reason why she was there.

And I highly doubt she was in there for more than the one night observation, as if she went missing people would be looking for her. It says the doctor wanted to hold her for one night. She had to agree to it. When my doctor said he wanted to hold me for one night observation with my stomach problems, I could have said no and gone home, even though we were sure I'd need surgery in the night. Frankly, I see a lot of places she could have spoken up, and she didn't. Instead of talking to the psychiatrist, she could have demanded a medical doctor due to her being there for medical reasons. Instead of saying she'll stay for observation on a psych matter, she could have pressed for her actual reason for visiting. It says her cell died and they didn't give her a recharger, but that's her story. I doubt the hospital carries rechargers for cell phones. It says nothing about her asking to use a regular phone, and they would have let her. A patient has the right to contact family. It's in the paperwork she signed. She also has the right to discuss any medicines prescribed and any treatment plan.

I personally think she botched up her visit and got mad that talking about stress and school didn't translate to her doctors as "I've got the flu". Doctors do not have ESP. They are not going to know that your illness that can sound like something brought on by insomnia and stress is the flu if all you talk about is insomnia and stress.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Pessimist
Fireweed_honey

This. Her side of the story is sketchy as hell. You don't throw someone in inpatient involuntary lockup even just for 'I'm stressed out", whether or not they have the flu. And you don't throw klonapin at someone who is not expressing debilitating anxiety.

Quote:

A) I agree with you.
B) Is that the dress?

Feral Nymph

Fireweed_honey

A) I agree with you.
B) Is that the dress?

It is indeed~ Dress-sempai noticed me! 4laugh

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Fireweed_honey
Nyadriel
Fireweed_honey

All I know is, when you go into the emergency waiting room, you fill out paperwork as the first thing. This covers insurance and symptoms. This is where she'd put in what she was there at the emergency room for. Also, allergies are always covered before any medicine is prescribed. Otherwise, the hospital can be sued. She is also, I'm assuming, over 18, thus an adult in her own right, so she does not need her parent's permission to stay in a hospital, especially if the doctor seeing her thinks she needs to stay for observation.

As for not looking into her cold or flu in the psych ward, it all depends on what she told them. When I went in to the hospital with a possible appendicitis, if all I talked about was, "My tummy hurts and I'm under a lot of stress at work and school because blah blah blah", they would not have looked for a possible appendicitis. If I had appendicitis, and it burst, could I really blame the hospital or the doctors for not knowing that my complaints of a hurt tummy and stress were two different things? It's up to the patient to be as clear as possible. I have a feeling this girl was not clear since she states she talked to them about her stress and school, and no mention of the real reason why she was there.

And I highly doubt she was in there for more than the one night observation, as if she went missing people would be looking for her. It says the doctor wanted to hold her for one night. She had to agree to it. When my doctor said he wanted to hold me for one night observation with my stomach problems, I could have said no and gone home, even though we were sure I'd need surgery in the night. Frankly, I see a lot of places she could have spoken up, and she didn't. Instead of talking to the psychiatrist, she could have demanded a medical doctor due to her being there for medical reasons. Instead of saying she'll stay for observation on a psych matter, she could have pressed for her actual reason for visiting. It says her cell died and they didn't give her a recharger, but that's her story. I doubt the hospital carries rechargers for cell phones. It says nothing about her asking to use a regular phone, and they would have let her. A patient has the right to contact family. It's in the paperwork she signed. She also has the right to discuss any medicines prescribed and any treatment plan.

I personally think she botched up her visit and got mad that talking about stress and school didn't translate to her doctors as "I've got the flu". Doctors do not have ESP. They are not going to know that your illness that can sound like something brought on by insomnia and stress is the flu if all you talk about is insomnia and stress.

"Overnight" translated to "That spiraled into a bizarre week long nightmare" though. And no they should not have given her the psych drugs without a doctor saying so. And if the doc did say so, she would have known it. Right?

And not everybody even knows their rights or is aware of that possibility.
I'd surely be scared if I were kept in a hospital for a week and treated like a mentally ill person eek It's like one of those horror movies you hear of where the doctors and nurses are conspiring or something.....

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Fireweed_honey

Quote:

stare Your unwavering faith in the competence and infallibility of ER staff is duly noted. I shall continue to regard them as overworked residents who just want to get rid of patients as quickly as possible so they can go back to napping. I hope you develop a proper bedside manner if you do become a nurse. Automatically disbelieving a patient's story is unprofessional, to say the least. Klonopin (note the correct spelling) is a fairly mild benzodiazepine and I was prescribed it briefly after a car accident before I met a truly competent doctor who listened to all of my problems and instead prescribed a stimulant. I never looked back. And if they gave her Risperdal while she had a fever, they should be sued for malpractice. It is contraindicated for use in febrile patients as it causes dehydration which can be serious.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Nyadriel
Fireweed_honey
Nyadriel
Fireweed_honey

"Overnight" translated to "That spiraled into a bizarre week long nightmare" though. And no they should not have given her the psych drugs without a doctor saying so. And if the doc did say so, she would have known it. Right?

And not everybody even knows their rights or is aware of that possibility.

If she was there for a week, then why didn't anyone notice she was gone? I mean, come on. If she was living in the dorms, her dormmate would have noticed she was missing. If she lived at home, her family would have noticed she was missing. They would have let her call someone before a week was out. That's not adding up.

And they did give her psych drugs with a doctor's say so. She saw the psychiatrist at the hospital, he or she prescribed medicines based off what the patient said her symptoms were. The hospital pharmacy doesn't willy-nilly just hand out drugs without it being prescribed.

As for the patient rights, hospitals make you sign a paper with it on them. You get a copy of that paper. Every time I've been hospitalized, I got that paper. You even get it when you first visit a new doctor. The patient's bill of rights is necessary paperwork that has to be in every file.

I'm sticking to something doesn't add up.

Adorable Member

That was just awful! Shame on them! This is like telling people to beware of going there for help. Like scifi.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Fireweed_honey
Nyadriel
Fireweed_honey

How would she know she had allergies to drugs she'd never taken before? You missed the part where she told the psychiatrist she had been feeling sick, which was first on her list. Psychiatrists are medical doctors, how could you not know that? Their specialty is psychiatry obviously, but they had the same medical school training, residency requirements, and license as a GP, surgeon, OB-GYN, and every other sort of physician before they chose to specialize. I see you are unfamiliar also with involuntary commitment, which a shrink can have done to virtually anyone at any time.

Feral Nymph

Ratttking
Pessimist
Fireweed_honey

Quote:

stare Your unwavering faith in the competence and infallibility of ER staff is duly noted. I shall continue to regard them as overworked residents who just want to get rid of patients as quickly as possible so they can go back to napping. I hope you develop a proper bedside manner if you do become a nurse. Automatically disbelieving a patient's story is unprofessional, to say the least. Klonopin (note the correct spelling) is a fairly mild benzodiazepine and I was prescribed it briefly after a car accident before I met a truly competent doctor who listened to all of my problems and instead prescribed a stimulant. I never looked back. And if they gave her Risperdal while she had a fever, they should be sued for malpractice. It is contraindicated for use in febrile patients as it causes dehydration which can be serious.

There are plenty of things I can think but won't necessarily say or do depending on the setting. Gaia is not what you would consider a professional setting and I feel no particular need to act as such. And, oh ******** no, I misspelled a drug name while also in said highly casual setting. All my hard work at training in medicine is for naught!

And none of this makes her story any more or less believable. In fact, rereading it makes it even more clear that, despite what she claims, she was not put in inpatient care because of the flu.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Ratttking
Pessimist
Fireweed_honey

Quote:

There are plenty of things I can think but won't necessarily say or do depending on the setting. Gaia is not what you would consider a professional setting and I feel no particular need to act as such. And, oh ******** no, I misspelled a drug name while also in said highly casual setting. All my hard work at training in medicine is for naught!

And none of this makes her story any more or less believable. In fact, rereading it makes it even more clear that, despite what she claims, she was not put in inpatient care because of the flu.
Misspelling drug names can be fatal for patients, so you really have no excuse not to learn and use proper spellings even in a casual setting.

All that's clear is that they did nothing to treat her flu or even try to diagnose it when she said she felt sick, and prescribed a drug that could have killed her because of her fever. You don't seem to care about those trivialities.

Off-topic, I'm still waiting for your reply to my PM regarding vaccinations.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff