Total Votes:[ 28 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
He did, however, note that the finger was not an original but had been added at a later date

Which answers my question about why a statue that old carved out of stone would appear to have a wire frame inside of it.

I'm American, I've been to Italy. I saw plenty of rude people there and I kind of resent the inference that the man was inconsiderate because he is American. While in Europe I went to the Vatican and a number of museums. I didn't break or steal anything. I did see a couple (apparently NOT American) smoking pot in the Vatican. I'm not sure if that is some 420 version of the mile high club or what.

Yes it was a douchebag move. His explanation is also questionable. I could measure the finger on a statue without touching it.
rofl Well, were they lighting up at 4:20 or what?

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Stupid tourists come from every nation. Remember the Chinese kid who wrote graffiti on that Egyptian Temple a few months ago?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
David2074
He did, however, note that the finger was not an original but had been added at a later date

Which answers my question about why a statue that old carved out of stone would appear to have a wire frame inside of it.

I'm American, I've been to Italy. I saw plenty of rude people there and I kind of resent the inference that the man was inconsiderate because he is American. While in Europe I went to the Vatican and a number of museums. I didn't break or steal anything. I did see a couple (apparently NOT American) smoking pot in the Vatican. I'm not sure if that is some 420 version of the mile high club or what.

Yes it was a douchebag move. His explanation is also questionable. I could measure the finger on a statue without touching it.
rofl Well, were they lighting up at 4:20 or what?

I honestly don't know. At the time I didn't think to note what time it was. I was just more surprised. From the inside you can take stairs up into the cuppola and then go outside onto a little walkway. From there you can look out over the plaza or courtyard or whatever you call it. If you stand in t he courtyard and look up there is that row of statues. From up above you are a ways behind those statues. So anyway, I'm standing up there, hardly anyone around and a long ways from anyone down in the plaza and I realize I'm smelling pot. I noticed a couple at the other end of the walkway having a toke. I didn't really care so I just pretended I didn't notice.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
A mali
I remember that guy who got punished for vandalizing stuff in Singapore. He was an American, irrc.
The kid back in the 90s who got caned? rofl

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Ringoringa
What difference does it make where the tourist is from? It doesn't ultimately make a difference; the fact is that this person is an idiot, regardless of where they were born. If it were, say, an Australian tourist, nobody would think it said anything about Australia. Just that one stupid individual.

I digress. This person is as dumb as a brick.[/quote

Well tbh Aussies are pretty dumb. ....

But that's coming from across the ditch and were biased.

Sugary Cat

Wrenry
Stupid tourists come from every nation. Remember the Chinese kid who wrote graffiti on that Egyptian Temple a few months ago?
I thought immediatly about that aswell. Ugh, these tourists have no respect for other people their cultures whatsoever talk2hand

Yankee go home!
Just because this was a repair doesn't mean there are not consequences as a result of this new damage. The object will now have to be handled by museum staff, which even though they are trained in art movement and care, will put the statue at increased risk for further damage, others won't get to view the object, museum staff must record and report to fine art insurers the incident and may have premiums raised because of it and lending institutions and private collectors may not lend to this museum for fear there is poor protection and security for their objects. This will have a ripple effect and this gentleman should be crucified in the Roman streets for what he did as an example to all tourists, American and German alike.
We may have to exclude American tourists from the finer establishments due to the bloated insurance premium that it requires. We should have zoning for Americans actually, where you get to access McDonalds and an ATM and maybe a ******** gym because if you break something there you're at least getting off your a**.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Implying Americans do nothing but eat at ******** McDonald's. emotion_eyebrow

Wintry Dragon

xXFurygeistXx
A mali
I remember that guy who got punished for vandalizing stuff in Singapore. He was an American, irrc.
The kid back in the 90s who got caned? rofl [/quote 3nodding ]Maybe, this tourist should get their fingers cut off, but surgically reattached later.

Gigamon 002's Queen

Noble Gatekeeper

Ringoringa
What difference does it make where the tourist is from? It doesn't ultimately make a difference; the fact is that this person is an idiot, regardless of where they were born. If it were, say, an Australian tourist, nobody would think it said anything about Australia. Just that one stupid individual.

I digress. This person is as dumb as a brick.

You're missing the point. Whenever you travel to another country, you're representing your country by unspoken means (without ambassador, peace speaker, etc. before your name.). That means you don't go to a different country and do something that will cause anger amongst the country natives. Not only does it cause an individual to be singled out as probably one of many idiots who shouldn't mark on their vacation list "go to a museum", but it certainly does put a blemish on that said individuals country.

Gigamon 002's Queen

Noble Gatekeeper

Wrenry

emotion_facepalm I remembered that incident. How are these people even allowed to visit museums and other ancient artifacts?

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Celestic Muse
Ringoringa

I digress. This person is as dumb as a brick.

You're missing the point. Whenever you travel to another country, you're representing your country by unspoken means (without ambassador, peace speaker, etc. before your name.). That means you don't go to a different country and do something that will cause anger amongst the country natives. Not only does it cause an individual to be singled out as probably one of many idiots who shouldn't mark on their vacation list "go to a museum", but it certainly does put a blemish on that said individuals country.

No, I don't believe I am. Anyone who judges an entire country based on the actions of one idiot is an idiot themselves. If I judged all of China based on that one Chinese idiot you mentioned below, I would be called a racist, and rightfully so.

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
There's always an idiot that ruins it for everybody stare

Ice-Cold Lunatic

emotion_facepalm Not surprised something like this happened to the statue again...vandal damage is as bad as time damage. I hate it when we have tourists come in from anywhere in the world and do this and call it an "accident". One of these days the museum will close off its exhibits if this keeps up.
Hope the guy is punished before he leaves back for home. I swear, its people like this that make me Picard facepalm.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff