Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
..."Get Used To It."

Quote:

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” star John Boyega has one thing to say to those questioning the inclusion of a black Stormtrooper in the upcoming pic: “Get used to it.”

After the teaser for the highly anticipated eighth installment of the “Star Wars” movie dropped on Friday, some of the Internet’s chatter included criticism at the idea of a black Stormtrooper. Boyega appears in frame in the first few seconds of the teaser, donning one of the iconic Stormtrooper uniforms.

The 22-year-old Brit took to Instagram on Saturday to both thank fans for their support and address the criticism.

“Thank you for all the love and support!” he wrote. “The fan mail and fan art has added to my joy! Isn’t it crazy that Star Wars is actually happening? I’m in the movie but as a star wars fan I am very excited”

“To whom it may concern… Get used to it,” he added, including a smiley emoticon.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” also stars Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver. The J.J. Abrams-directed movie will hit theaters Dec. 18, 2015.

Source

Fans will be picky about anything. rolleyes

But given that the new movie is set 30 years in the future after the fall of the Empire, having a Stormtrooper, spoiler!
that isn't a Jango Fett clone
to boost whatever army they have left would make sense.

And heck, here's hoping he's some kin to Mace Windu so the greatness of Samuel L. Jackson lives on! blaugh

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

o.o; Who the heck was complaining about a black storm trooper?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Yuki_Windira

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Yuki_Windira

Found some classy folks trolls over on Youtube posting in the comments section of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

And there's bound to be more.

Probably by tomorrow the facepalm worthy antics will be turned into some serious social comment or get people thinking "nerds rage over the weirdest things."

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Wrenry
Yuki_Windira

Found some classy folks trolls over on Youtube posting in the comments section of the trailer:

Probably by tomorrow the facepalm worthy antics will be turned into some serious social comment or get people thinking "nerds rage over the weirdest things."

Anyone could have been under those suits throughout the Star Wars franchise(animated series included),so what's their problem? >>;

(I thought it was about the suit being turned black at first....>< wink
Yuki_Windira

I'm not complaining, but weren't they all clones?

I preferred them as just people. It explains why an entire intergalactic empire was taken down so fast when only one space station was destroyed (there may be commanders, but the paychecks for the main army comes from the top guy).
Y'know, it was pretty much implied by the two trilogies ( horrible as the second one was ) and even shown during the Clone Wars that clone troopers were originally meant as an emergency measure, rather than a permanent slave-labour class to be mass-produced for the convenience of regular citizens of the Republic/Empire ( the role of slaves being performed by droids and/or certain nonhuman races under tthe Empire ). Basically, the idea was "we need a temporary army, and we need it fast, to buy us time to whip some actual citizens into an armed force."

When you look at the height discrepancies between individual Stormtroopers in Star Wars and Empire, and compare the few non-Stormtrooper soldiers that we see in the original trilogy, it becomes pretty obvious that clones went from being the whole of the army in AotC to being a minority of forces in SW, and really, AotC established that they grew at an accelerated rate when compared to their DNA donor, but some production materials from RotS showed that the accelerated aging didn't stop when the clones reached maturity, so they only got half of the normal service life that a human would, which is already less time than most other races get, so it just makes sense to scale back the clones when they are no longer a necessity.

As far as "Black Stormtrooper" goes, though, when I saw that trailer, my first thought was "Oh, look! The galaxy got it's third black person!" I'm rather interested in seeing the humans of Star Wars become a little more diverse, and am kinda glad they chose the "make new characters that aren't white" route rather than the typical Hollywood "Let's recast this established character as a black guy, then tell people it's a reboot, and if they complain, we'll just call them racist."

Final note: Star Wars, as a franchise, is actually one of the few places I wouldn't complain about Cinderella Casting* choices for families, either, since we're talking about a galaxy where there's already an entire species that comes in every colour of the rainbow, and skin colour seems to be like the patterns on calico cats for them, in that they seem to be determined by some other factor than DNA.

* Note: I'm talking about the musical from the 90's that had Brandy as Cinderella, some Asian man as the Prince, a white guy as his father, the King, and Whoopi Goldberg as his mother, the Queen. That royal family makes no real sense to me to this day.
Yuki_Windira
Wrenry
Yuki_Windira

Anyone could have been under those suits throughout the Star Wars franchise(animated series included),so what's their problem? >>;

(I thought it was about the suit being turned black at first....>< wink

Given he wasn't wearing a helmet, I would have assumed he was some kind of Imperial soldier, or gunner, or possibly even a pilot had his armour been black.

Really, only the Storm Troopers wore white, and it was to mark them as the Elite.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Wrenry
Yuki_Windira

emotion_facepalm Did the lovely folks at Chimpout stage a raid on YouTube?

Conservative Regular

Yuki_Windira

Hardcore star wars fans who don't know about Star wars.

While storm troopers are clones after the failed Kamino uprising the Empire could no longer depend on an army of clone stormtroopers from the same genotype. Leading to the production of soldiers from various non-Fett templates.

Fett template was never used after said uprising

It's all not canon any more but you know.
Moral Gutpunch
Yuki_Windira

I preferred them as just people. It explains why an entire intergalactic empire was taken down so fast when only one space station was destroyed (there may be commanders, but the paychecks for the main army comes from the top guy).

Looks like they weren't taken down quite so fast after all, since there seems to be an Imperial Remnant 30 years after Endor.

And no, the military only started with clones until they could build up a real force. There were still clones later, but they were supplementing the ranks of the Regulars, not making up the bulk of the Regulars.
Texadar
Yuki_Windira

While storm troopers are clones after the failed Kamino uprising the Empire could no longer depend on an army of clone stormtroopers from the same genotype. Leading to the production of soldiers from various non-Fett templates.

Clones are temporary anyways. They grow in half the time as non-clones ( but only if you count "birth-to-enlistment" as the growing period ), but they also wear out twice as fast.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I find it rather amusing that anyone cares what race is under a stormtrooper costume.

To the open minded non-racist people:
Star Wars always has been and continues to be a story line full of diverse races and species and so on. It continues to be.

To the closed minded racist people:
Throughout the Star Wars series the stormtroopers have mostly been the "disposable grunts" of the Empire. So if you are hating on black people then what do you care if one of them is a stormtrooper? Think of it like those all black army units back in WW2 who got some of the most dangerous / shitty assignments.
But you should also spend a bit of time reflecting upon your priorities in life and why you apparently feel you are better than other folks due to your skin color. Possibly you deserve to be a disposable stormtrooper.
Keltic Hero
Moral Gutpunch
Yuki_Windira

Looks like they weren't taken down quite so fast after all, since there seems to be an Imperial Remnant 30 years after Endor.

And no, the military only started with clones until they could build up a real force. There were still clones later, but they were supplementing the ranks of the Regulars, not making up the bulk of the Regulars.

Which canon was that in?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Texadar
Yuki_Windira

IDK, it might still be to some degree. Depends on the status of the Star Wars Rebels cartoon. One of the episodes involved infiltrating a storm trooper academy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff