Welcome to Gaia! ::

azulmagia
If they're not complaining about this, they're bitching about that lightsabre crossguard.

Here's something better to complain about: Why are there Sith in this movie if Vader and Palpatine are both dead?

How is the Broadsabre inherently worse than a doublesabre?

As for the Sith thing . . . Well, it's not like there aren't records of the Sith out there, enough that a New Sith could arise even with the death of the Old Sith, especially if the new Sith Lord were someone who's bloodline was forged from Sith manipulations of the human genome of a woman on Tatooine, who went on to give birth to a child conceived entirely through the Force.

Nah, I think the complainers here are primarily people that don't realise how badly Lucas donked things up with the prequels, and are just sad to see him go, despite the fact that the first time he was given complete control of a Star Wars movie, we wound up with the Moon of the Teddy Bears.
Moral Gutpunch

I'm not complaining, but weren't they all clones?

Cloning facilities were destroyed due to Kimino rebelling against Empire. All but an elite core of old guard stormtroopers are recruits from around the universe.
The Star Wars Fans who don't know s**t about Expanded Universe are adorable.

There is only one not painfully racist argument against it, and it's the old "Aren't stormtroopers all clones?" line.

To which the obvious response is - No. they are not. Not since the Great Kaminoian "Dun Goof'ing" of 12 BBY.

Wintry Dragon

Oh. I had been thinking of Jango Fett when I saw him.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
That's pretty nit picky. Who cares if he's black, the question should be can he act. Also the article incorrectly calls it the eighth installment when it is the seventh. To address the spoiler tag, by this time, the Empire has let in non clones and even aliens. Especially since the clones age rapidly.

RE : The Sith Question : Not all Sith followed Bane's Rule of Two. Heck Even Sidious and Vader were in violation. It's probably not canon, but there was a 'Lost tribe of Sith.' some have even speculated that it's Revan reawakened and now unleashed on the galaxy. But, perhaps we'll find out more in a later trailer.

Dedicated Prophet

Pessimist
Keltic Hero
Y'know, it was pretty much implied by the two trilogies ( horrible as the second one was ) and even shown during the Clone Wars that clone troopers were originally meant as an emergency measure, rather than a permanent slave-labour class to be mass-produced for the convenience of regular citizens of the Republic/Empire ( the role of slaves being performed by droids and/or certain nonhuman races under tthe Empire ). Basically, the idea was "we need a temporary army, and we need it fast, to buy us time to whip some actual citizens into an armed force."

When you look at the height discrepancies between individual Stormtroopers in Star Wars and Empire, and compare the few non-Stormtrooper soldiers that we see in the original trilogy, it becomes pretty obvious that clones went from being the whole of the army in AotC to being a minority of forces in SW, and really, AotC established that they grew at an accelerated rate when compared to their DNA donor, but some production materials from RotS showed that the accelerated aging didn't stop when the clones reached maturity, so they only got half of the normal service life that a human would, which is already less time than most other races get, so it just makes sense to scale back the clones when they are no longer a necessity.

As far as "Black Stormtrooper" goes, though, when I saw that trailer, my first thought was "Oh, look! The galaxy got it's third black person!" I'm rather interested in seeing the humans of Star Wars become a little more diverse, and am kinda glad they chose the "make new characters that aren't white" route rather than the typical Hollywood "Let's recast this established character as a black guy, then tell people it's a reboot, and if they complain, we'll just call them racist."

Final note: Star Wars, as a franchise, is actually one of the few places I wouldn't complain about Cinderella Casting* choices for families, either, since we're talking about a galaxy where there's already an entire species that comes in every colour of the rainbow, and skin colour seems to be like the patterns on calico cats for them, in that they seem to be determined by some other factor than DNA.

* Note: I'm talking about the musical from the 90's that had Brandy as Cinderella, some Asian man as the Prince, a white guy as his father, the King, and Whoopi Goldberg as his mother, the Queen. That royal family makes no real sense to me to this day.

If that's the case, then why did Leia comment on Luke's height? Was he just shorter then the minimum stormtrooper height? And that's an honest question, not sarcasm.

Also, I remember that Cinderella movie. It was weird as hell.

Well considering the Cinderella story is based off of Chinye. I understood it.
Prince Aegon Targaryen VI
Moral Gutpunch

Cloning facilities were destroyed due to Kimino rebelling against Empire. All but an elite core of old guard stormtroopers are recruits from around the universe.

Clones couldn't produce an "old guard" for long, since Episode III's production notes and the like showed that a clone's rapid maturation doesn't stop when they hit batch-readiness.

Clones only have a service life of half what the donor DNA would.
Darth Acheron
That's pretty nit picky. Who cares if he's black, the question should be can he act. Also the article incorrectly calls it the eighth installment when it is the seventh. To address the spoiler tag, by this time, the Empire has let in non clones and even aliens. Especially since the clones age rapidly.

RE : The Sith Question : Not all Sith followed Bane's Rule of Two. Heck Even Sidious and Vader were in violation. It's probably not canon, but there was a 'Lost tribe of Sith.' some have even speculated that it's Revan reawakened and now unleashed on the galaxy. But, perhaps we'll find out more in a later trailer.

But it will be the eighth movie . . . Remember that Clone Wars movie got released in theatres, launched that computer animated cartoon?

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Keltic Hero
Darth Acheron

But it will be the eighth movie . . . Remember that Clone Wars movie got released in theaters, launched that computer animated cartoon?
I forgot about that one. I was only counting the old and the (crappy) newer trilogies.
Darth Acheron
Keltic Hero
Darth Acheron

But it will be the eighth movie . . . Remember that Clone Wars movie got released in theaters, launched that computer animated cartoon?
I forgot about that one. I was only counting the old and the (crappy) newer trilogies.

Aye, but we do technically have to count it, even if it's not one of the numbered ones.
Moral Gutpunch
Keltic Hero
Moral Gutpunch
Yuki_Windira
o.o; Who the heck was complaining about a black storm trooper?

I preferred them as just people. It explains why an entire intergalactic empire was taken down so fast when only one space station was destroyed (there may be commanders, but the paychecks for the main army comes from the top guy).

Looks like they weren't taken down quite so fast after all, since there seems to be an Imperial Remnant 30 years after Endor.

And no, the military only started with clones until they could build up a real force. There were still clones later, but they were supplementing the ranks of the Regulars, not making up the bulk of the Regulars.

Which canon was that in?

Dunno. There's about 20. So I guess pick your poison

Quotable Prophet

Kind of reminds me of the fit some people threw over Rue from Hunger Games movie being a black girl. Ignoring, of course, the minor issue in comparison that they're watching children MURDER each other for sport.
Keltic Hero
How is the Broadsabre inherently worse than a doublesabre?

Omnipresent Warlord

Thematically, the Empire in the original trilogy was intended to convey a monolithic power structure as the only people shown are white men while the Rebellion had characters of many backgrounds.

And it's not like any of the clones from the prequels would be in military service 46+ years years after they were cloned and it makes no sense to rely only on clone people when you need to create a military's infrastructure to promote people to command material and the chance that someone could sneak in a kill Sith command just like with the jedi genocide.
Omnileech
Thematically, the Empire in the original trilogy was intended to convey a monolithic power structure as the only people shown are white men while the Rebellion had characters of many backgrounds.

And it's not like any of the clones from the prequels would be in military service 46+ years years after they were cloned and it makes no sense to rely only on clone people when you need to create a military's infrastructure to promote people to command material and the chance that someone could sneak in a kill Sith command just like with the jedi genocide.

The difference between the actors portraying the Empire and the actors portraying the Rebellion was the inclusion or lack of a British accent. The Rebels were just as lily-white as the Empire, and the first black guy we see in the series was the dude who struck a deal with the Empire to sell out his friend.

The idea of "characters of many backgrounds" vs. "racist monolithic power structure" came about in the EU, where we learned that nonhumans were a major part of the Rebellion, they just weren't around anywhere where the cameras were filming until the end of RotJ, whereas the Empire was pretty strictly anti-Xeno both in front of the camera and behind the scenes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff