Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Sex Symbol

Taking food out of the oven. It fell and got on my arm and two places on my leg.

I cried and yelled, then wrapped ice packs around it until I was told to take them off.

Is there anything else I should do? Would medical assistance be needed? I've never had a burn before.

Edit: The skin has blistered slightly.

Greatwaytospendmy21stbirthday. emo

Omnipresent Hunter

You'll only want to get medical attention if it's a very large burn.

Don't scratch it, don't chill it. some cool (not cold) water will soothe it a little. Make sure to drink a lot of water and avoid abrasive materials and heat/intense light exposure. I hear concentrated, cooled Black Tea can help heal burns faster if applied gently in small dabs. It'll likely take a while to heal.

Also, Happy Birthday.
This isn't exactly the place to come to for quick help.

Time-traveling Senshi

As was said do put the affected area under cool water. Take an over the counter pain medication to stop any pain you may be having associated with the burn. Also, if you have it around put a sterile gauze bandage on it. If not go and get some from the local drug store. You'll want to wrap it lightly around the affected area as to not put any pressure on it. Gauze bandages will help protect any blistering, keep air off the burn, and help reduce pain. Keep a watch on the affected area(s) for increased pain, redness, blistering, a fever, or any signs of oozing that usually indicates an infection and should be addressed right away by a medical professional. The skin where the burn has occurred might end up with a slightly different pigment than the surrounding area. So for the next year it is advised to try not to injure the affected area and put sunscreen on it to protect the delicate new skin growing back.

Hope you feel better.

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Ouch >_< your burn sounds like a second degree burn due to the blisters. Run cool (not ice cold) water over it for about 15 - 20 minutes. Make sure not to put any ointments on the skin or pop the blisters - this can increase the risk of infection.

After that, let the spots breathe if at all possible while healing. A cool wash cloth may be applied for comfort.

Absolutely make sure that the burns are dry after you run water over them or place a wet washcloth, or even get a shower because the wound does need to be patted dry. It's important that burns are kept clean and pat dry.

Once the skin is dry, feel free to loosely wrap a gauze pad around the burn (although if you do this, the wrap should be changed at least once a day, but twice a day is probably better). Make sure it's gauze and not any fluffy or constricting material. A wrap will protect the skin from irritation from air as well as protect blisters.

Keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't become infected since this can be an issue with burns.

Definitely get it checked out if the burn is large, you suspect is infected, or for peace of mind.

Happy birthday! Feel better soon!
A quick home remedy is Aloe sap. If you have an aloe plant at home just break off one of the leaves and rub it on the burn gently. This will help it heal faster and take a very small amount of the pain away. Plus it's free if you have that plant around.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Next time: Vanilla Extract. The real stuff, not the imitation crap. Seriously, it works. I use it on my burns (even oven burns) and I've never blistered up after that. My mom once dropped her curling iron down her shirt, and she's like me, very blessed in the chest, so the iron got stuck. She used a whole bottle of vanilla extract and the burn never blistered and healed up 3x faster.

Anxious Explorer

9,600 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
If it's really bad, you would need medical attention.

I burned my thigh with boiling hot water a while ago. The skin started blistering, and it went red/pink and puffy. A nurse put sterile bandages and cream on the burn every few days to make sure it didn't get infected.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff