Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sup. Think it would work?

No! It sucks! 0.34579439252336 34.6% [ 37 ]
Yes, Lets do this, NOW. 0.10280373831776 10.3% [ 11 ]
I'm undecided, some n00bs are funny. 0.34579439252336 34.6% [ 37 ]
i r teh noob an i say nu 0.20560747663551 20.6% [ 22 ]
Total Votes:[ 107 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

That's way to extreme, and it would kind of detract from the new meaning of Gaia, found right underneath the logo. O_o;
penguin_010
Sorry to be mean, but...

User Image

Practice what you preach: get a spellcheck.

I too, was waiting for this. I'm pretty horrible with grammar, and don't always have a spellchecker on hand. But I always try my best, even though I WILL screw up sometimes. But this leads to another idea. An automatic spelling and grammar checker. o_O;
Quit trying to filter out people. stare
You are retarded, n00bs have the ability to type, they just choose not to use it, and as far as an I.Q. test goes, having a high I.Q. doesn't directly relate to intellegance, just potential. Your thread is proof of that.
-Basking-In-Twilight-
penguin_010
Sorry to be mean, but...

User Image

Practice what you preach: get a spellcheck.

I too, was waiting for this. I'm pretty horrible with grammar, and don't always have a spellchecker on hand. But I always try my best, even though I WILL screw up sometimes. But this leads to another idea. An automatic spelling and grammar checker. o_O;

Now THAT is a good idea.
Grammar Nazi much?

::makes notes about the Grammar Nazi virus while muttering:: "So thats stage 7"
It's not practical at all, but it's a great idea.

I hate everything.

:]

Shy Loiterer

What about people from other countries? And some have a hard time with spelling and grammar, anyway. I'm all for literate people, but some people are still learning. Your idea is okay, but it limits a lot.
Nice try, though heart

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
You're not the first person to consider such a thing. Regardless, I'm sure you're well aware that it's bound to fail one way or another.

It's impractical to say the least.

With a forum that's supposed to be international in scope, a lot of people who are still struggling to learn English will have a rough time.

Besides, the Admins are more interested in getting people to join the site. They don't care how proficient users are with English, as long as they follow the TOS.
No.
I don't think that, thats a good idea.
For it wasn't for the noobs, gaia wouldn't be as fun.
:3

Fashionable Smoker

7,825 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Nah. People in the GD will never learn.
-Basking-In-Twilight-
Okay. I see so many illiterate people on Gaia. It's REALLY annoying. I say we petition for something that will make the illiterate and stupid people go away. However, I bring this to GD first to see if my idea is worth it or not.

Spelling and Grammar test.
Basically, you'd have to write out sentences that are long and complicated, made by images and always random so you just can't have someone copy and past it for you. It would have to be perfect, or with two errors AT MOST.

Intelligence test.
Somewhat like an IQ test, it gauges how intelligent you are and what boards your allowed to visit, you can also choose to retake this once a week and get a better score, but it will mostly be random so people can't just have the answers written down. Stupid people would be limited to chatterbox and chatterbox only. >:[.

And then the random tests.
These tests you would have to take randomly, as many as five in a month, to determine if your allowed to stay on Gaia or not. They wouldn't be hard or anything, but hard enough so that stupid people wouldn't be allowed on Gaia.

And finally, probably my most favourite.
A report post option that says something like "Bad spelling and grammar". It would get you banned from Gaia for atleast a week, and you'd have to retake a spelling and grammar test to get back on.

Discuss
Are my ideas good or not?
Would they be practical?
Why is your poop green sometimes?
Do you think this would work, or would it just be a waste of time?

Ahhh... grammer nazis

I'd hate to post here and give you more gold, but unless you have an english masters degree from harvard, you REALLY should STFU.

How 'bout this for an IQ test......

Try to figure out what the person is saying, and if you can't.........

DON'T POST!

jeez, this is the INTERNET, not school, and english is a living language, which means it changes over the years.
Besides, most of our words are rip offs of Latin and other languages, WHY NOT SPEAK SANSCRIT?

This thread is chock full of fail.... enjoy your gold burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes burning_eyes
mcan_sic
Dearest..._Perhaps__
Like that'll happen.

Half the people that seem illiterate are actually literate.

They're just lazy.

thats me... if you look at my posts i dont use capital letters or commas very much...
Oh My God!

Or in this post. xp

User Image
I was in another online message board system. There just needs to be less mod tolerance of netslang and that s**t. That means mods get more power to shut down people talking like idiots and more freedom to direct their misdirected rage and hate for the populace at people who piss us off.

I'd be all for a standard, even if it was a minimum, to keep people speaking literate-like.
Sometime smart people just want to act like noobs for the hell of it.

I think it would be too many tests though. There should just be less tolerance for incoherent sentences and warnings for people who constantly troll intentionally and frequently post like idiots.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff