Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reverend_Jello
Asmodaari Baal
Reverend_Jello
Asmodaari Baal
It does not follow that because I must have faith in the fact that my senses are reliable, that I must also have faith in an all powerful invisible man in the sky.

There's no logic there, your argument is fallacious.
I did not say you had to have faith in an "Invisible man in the sky", nor did I say you had to have faith in God. I was simply stating that everyone has faith in something or another, even if it's not God. Your argument is fallacious because it is based on assumptions.
My fault, from my readong of your post I gathered that you were implying that faith in the five senses is on the same level as faith in God, and that therefore it is reasonable to have faith on both.

I apologize if I misunderstood.
I'm saying that everything is faith. We have to have faith that the world around us is real or we cannot function. The whole point of this was to show that people who believe in science are not "better" than people who have faith in God, nor is the opposite true. I'm trying to show that the two sides of this argument have more in common than they realize, they both have the virtue of faith, and that makes them similar in so many ways, and they can relate as such.
But faith in God and faith in science are two very different kinds of faith.
The mind can be fooled, and your eyes and sense are only able to open the door of truth partially. To open the door completely you must question these senses and realize that humans cannot be perfect, therefore their faith is not perfect, nor is their "reality" as a whole. However, through your faith in the "laws" of this world your believing the world will never change. To change the world is only a matter of perception, a red apple is only red becase we see it as red, whereas someone else may see it as green. It's still an apple, but the perception is different. So through faith, when we hear apple, we automatically think red. We have faith that if we throw something up it'll come down. Faith in gravity that we won't float off the Earth. Faith is everywhere, but where it lies is up to the perciever.
zero13_13
The mind can be fooled, and your eyes and sense are only able to open the door of truth partially. To open the door completely you must question these senses and realize that humans cannot be perfect, therefore their faith is not perfect, nor is their "reality" as a whole. However, through your faith in the "laws" of this world your believing the world will never change. To change the world is only a matter of perception, a red apple is only red becase we see it as red, whereas someone else may see it as green. It's still an apple, but the perception is different. So through faith, when we hear apple, we automatically think red. We have faith that if we throw something up it'll come down. Faith in gravity that we won't float off the Earth. Faith is everywhere, but where it lies is up to the perciever.
You are the first person to actually get this, congratulations. Are you in college?
Wow, thank you! 3nodding That was very interesting! ^ _ ^
fabifly
About time someone was nice about it. Geez, you compliment Atheists by saying even they have the virtue of faith and they treat you worse than Christians would if you told them "Jesus sucks".
Reverend_Jello
fabifly
About time someone was nice about it. Geez, you compliment Atheists by saying even they have the virtue of faith and they treat you worse than Christians would if you told them "Jesus sucks".

Ha ha ha. Yeah, people are harsh, especially on Gaia.
fabifly
Reverend_Jello
fabifly

It's not even a religious debate or a religious statement, it's philosophy, and philosophy is generally secular.
Reverend_Jello
fabifly
Reverend_Jello
fabifly

It's not even a religious debate or a religious statement, it's philosophy, and philosophy is generally secular.

Generally, though I have to admit reading philosophy arguments always make me nervous to begin with, I guess because I was raised in Southern Baptist churches and it's sort of an "inborn" "slippery slope questioning faith" response.

I think their central problem is that they resent, in the same way I do having my faith questioned, that you are questioning the solidity of science.
fabifly
Reverend_Jello
fabifly
Reverend_Jello
fabifly

Generally, though I have to admit reading philosophy arguments always make me nervous to begin with, I guess because I was raised in Southern Baptist churches and it's sort of an "inborn" "slippery slope questioning faith" response.

I think their central problem is that they resent, in the same way I do having my faith questioned, that you are questioning the solidity of science.
Not the solidity of science, the solidity of reality. If reality as we perceive it can be trusted, then science is very reliable, but if our perception is somehow off then everything we "know" in science is shot to Hell (please excuse the language). Socrates said to question everything, even existance itself, Plato wrote that a man forced to live his whole life in a cave staring at shadows on the wall will see the shadows as reality and if he was introduced to the "real world" he would not see it as real and the shadows, to him, would be more real. Could the same be the case with this world? It's entirely possible that what we see is only looking through a straw at what reality is.

Man-Hungry Noob

It's great you have "faith" and all, but the GD forums on gaiaonline is NOT a good place to preach it stare
seldom_silent
It's great you have "faith" and all, but the GD forums on gaiaonline is NOT a good place to preach it stare

Missed the boat.
seldom_silent
I'm not preaching! It's not even religious!

Man-Hungry Noob

*re-read* OMG! I'm sorry, I misunderstood sweatdrop whee whee whee whee I'm sorry!! redface
seldom_silent
*re-read* OMG! I'm sorry, I misunderstood sweatdrop whee whee whee whee I'm sorry!! redface
That's ok. Thank you for re-reading and realizing what I was really getting at. I give you more credit than I give most of the people who replied to this.
seldom_silent

Is h'okay.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces