Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
m00tz
NotoriousLynx

People who pirate games are pretty much the ones that have destroyed most of the game's revenue. I think Spore was the most pirated game of all time and it lost over half of its revenue. People like that are the reason its hard to be original because if a new company appears out of nowhere and releases a game, it has to make more money than the company started with, or else they are gone forever. A company like Activision doesn't have to worry too much about something like that, but it can even affect them greatly.

If only numbers and data backed this up nicely.

Quote:
People who complain are the cancer of the gaming community. It sickens me that BioWare is changing the ending to Mass Effect 3. Games should be considered art, just like any other media. To change someone's artistic vision is disgusting.

Plot holes and lying is fine though am I right?

On the topic of Digital only, it has to many +'s vs the -'s

Google it, yourself

http://torrentfreak.com/spore-most-pirated-game-ever-thanks-to-drm-080913/

Sure, its lazy writing, but that doesnt mean its rude for gamers to complain. I didnt like Spiderman 3, am i going to b***h until they change it?

I love it when idiots use a sarcastic tone to try and prove me wrong.

I strongly believe that digital has much more positives and people need to stop being nostalgic about collecting games.

I was thinking about this on the ride home from work.

Are we arguing that DRM is bad because it's not secure enough as in easily pirated or that Maxis is losing money on Spore?

I'm saying that pirates are the ones who hurt the video game industry the most. As I said before, DRM is a great idea on paper, but was horribly executed and tries to stop an impossible crime. If you go back a few messages, I stated something about Gabe Newell and how I like his idea to stop pirates.

I think this guy is arguing that pirates aren't doing any damage to the industry, even though I gave a link that showed him how Spore was destroyed by them. Yes, its one game, but I used that game as the example since its the most pirated game of all time (at least in 2008, probably changed now).

I said that one of the worst part about pirates is how they can add to independent studios closing. With indie developers, they need to sell as much games as they can, while larger corporations such as EA and Activision don't have to worry. Guess which company is the more creative most of the time? The independents.

Although we don't see that very often, the worst offense we see with pirates is how they sell pirated games to other users for a cheaper cost.
daywalker926
NotoriousLynx
ugh People who complain about DLC on the disc are stupid. It's intended as DLC from the beginning or at least sometime in development. It's exactly like normal DLC, just takes less time to download..

THANK YOU!

Yea, I was gonna congratulate you on your other post about the five things that piss you off since those actually make sense, compared to the other things I see. I swear, some of these complainers need to look at how much of a b***h they are and put themselves into the shoes of the developers.
NotoriousLynx
Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
m00tz
NotoriousLynx

People who pirate games are pretty much the ones that have destroyed most of the game's revenue. I think Spore was the most pirated game of all time and it lost over half of its revenue. People like that are the reason its hard to be original because if a new company appears out of nowhere and releases a game, it has to make more money than the company started with, or else they are gone forever. A company like Activision doesn't have to worry too much about something like that, but it can even affect them greatly.

Quote:
People who complain are the cancer of the gaming community. It sickens me that BioWare is changing the ending to Mass Effect 3. Games should be considered art, just like any other media. To change someone's artistic vision is disgusting.

Google it, yourself

Sure, its lazy writing, but that doesnt mean its rude for gamers to complain. I didnt like Spiderman 3, am i going to b***h until they change it?

I strongly believe that digital has much more positives and people need to stop being nostalgic about collecting games.

Are we arguing that DRM is bad because it's not secure enough as in easily pirated or that Maxis is losing money on Spore?

I'm saying that pirates are the ones who hurt the video game industry the most. As I said before, DRM is a great idea on paper, but was horribly executed and tries to stop an impossible crime. If you go back a few messages, I stated something about Gabe Newell and how I like his idea to stop pirates.

I think this guy is arguing that pirates aren't doing any damage to the industry, even though I gave a link that showed him how Spore was destroyed by them. Yes, its one game, but I used that game as the example since its the most pirated game of all time (at least in 2008, probably changed now).

I said that one of the worst part about pirates is how they can add to independent studios closing. With indie developers, they need to sell as much games as they can, while larger corporations such as EA and Activision don't have to worry. Guess which company is the more creative most of the time? The independents.

Although we don't see that very often, the worst offense we see with pirates is how they sell pirated games to other users for a cheaper cost.

But as I see it, if DRM didn't exist... wouldn't that just mean the same amount of copies, maybe a tiny bit more, would exist since people had littler reason to rebuy the copy and that they were only pirated because they already purchased the first copy and only needed another one?

I mean, I just don't see how DRM is the root cause here, it just means that people found a way around it. Lol
NotoriousLynx
daywalker926
NotoriousLynx
ugh People who complain about DLC on the disc are stupid. It's intended as DLC from the beginning or at least sometime in development. It's exactly like normal DLC, just takes less time to download..

THANK YOU!

Yea, I was gonna congratulate you on your other post about the five things that piss you off since those actually make sense, compared to the other things I see. I swear, some of these complainers need to look at how much of a b***h they are and put themselves into the shoes of the developers.

True. I honestly think it's ******** greedy of someone to complain that a game isn't finished.

My response: Oh yeah? Not finished eh? So did you work on the game yourself? Where were you when they sent it in to become Gold (A developer's term for a game that is ready and awaiting distribution)? Thought so.
Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
m00tz

Google it, yourself

But as I see it, if DRM didn't exist... wouldn't that just mean the same amount of copies, maybe a tiny bit more, would exist since people had littler reason to rebuy the copy and that they were only pirated because they already purchased the first copy and only needed another one?

I mean, I just don't see how DRM is the root cause here, it just means that people found a way around it. Lol

As I said, its a very poor way of stopping privacy. But before DRM came about, there were the pirates themselves. Those people are the people who ruin the industry because of them, stuff like DRM has to exist, which also harms the people who honestly bought the game.
NotoriousLynx
Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
Lost Dynamis
NotoriousLynx
m00tz

Google it, yourself

As I said, its a very poor way of stopping privacy. But before DRM came about, there were the pirates themselves. Those people are the people who ruin the industry because of them, stuff like DRM has to exist, which also harms the people who honestly bought the game.

Yes, but what I'm saying is in the root of all things, the amount of copies sold for Spore would have been the exact same amount regardless. Because without DRM, people have no reason to repurchase, and with DRM, people understand it's bullshit, so they just pirate the game. Regardless Maxis loses.

Blessed Poster

NotoriousLynx

Nice assumption there bud.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Lost Dynamis
Well they did. I don't know what more you want me to tell you. Lol
Then they're a very strange insurance company because all insurance companies around here require a catalogue and proof of ownership before any belongings are considered insured, because they know people are lying dicks and would embellish what they actually owned if they thought they could get away with it to get more.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

smashbrolink
Raven Prime
smashbrolink
Raven Prime
Even Nintendo is dropping motion controls for the next generation.

Interesting back-and-forth you've got going, but I felt compelled to toss a two-cent towards this for just a sec; The Wii U will be backwards-compatible with the Wiimote Plus and will most likely still incorporate it into many more games in the future, not to mention that the tablet controller has a bit of motion-control functionality built into it, as well, so Nintendo isn't dropping motion controls entirely for the next generation.[Nintendo has also stated that the system is planned to support at least two of the Tablet controllers. No word on pricing for them, that I am aware of, so if you've got a price source quote to share, by all means, please do.^_^]
They're just lowering the reliance on it a bit, to appeal more to the core crowd, which they have stated they would like to focus a bit more on this time around. Strike a balance, as it were, between casual and core, so that they aren't leaving one side stranded.
Well, what I meant by "dropping" was that it's not going to be the sole be all and end all like it was for the Wii.
Personally I liked motion controls for most games. Some were a waste though and were really only made motion controlled because omg motion controls.

Quote:
As for the convo, from before, I do agree that games are a luxury.
I'm already in the situation where I'm forced to skip out on Tales of Graces, in favor of being able to EAT for the month, let alone being able to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of me and my girlfriend.
Just can't afford the game, much as I crave it.

And as for the used game topic, it's my opinion that someone should come up with a way to get some of the profit of used games to go back to the producers, even if said profit is very small.
If major retailers, like Game Stop, refused that deal, then I'm sure there would either be a more minor retailer that WOULD accept it, or one would come into existence, possibly one made BY one of the major game names, that would accept such a thing.

I don't exactly see used game sales as evil, but I do think that if more money gets back to the game's makers, the more likely it is that we will see those profits go into expanded budgets for bigger dev teams and, eventually, bigger and better games.
That's what day 1 DLC with codes in the box are for.
Those that buy used games don't get the code, so they have to spend some money to feed the developers if they want it.

TBH, I think that's the best way to do it. If people really wanna buy used games, fine. But they don't have the same right to the full game as those who actually are supporting the people who gave them the game in the first place.

There's a problem with that, though; years down the road, when a game is no longer being made and no new copies are in distribution, how do collectors who want to experience the full game manage to do so without pirating?
I don't think that day 1 DLC is an end-all solution.
Then they buy the DLC.
If it's so far in the future that the DLC can't be obtained any more?

Then to be fair, why should the companies care?
They're not going to see a penny from the sale anyways, so why should they worry about somebody who's going to wait several years before buying the game from someone who isn't them?

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Raven Prime
smashbrolink
Raven Prime
smashbrolink
Raven Prime
Even Nintendo is dropping motion controls for the next generation.

Interesting back-and-forth you've got going, but I felt compelled to toss a two-cent towards this for just a sec; The Wii U will be backwards-compatible with the Wiimote Plus and will most likely still incorporate it into many more games in the future, not to mention that the tablet controller has a bit of motion-control functionality built into it, as well, so Nintendo isn't dropping motion controls entirely for the next generation.[Nintendo has also stated that the system is planned to support at least two of the Tablet controllers. No word on pricing for them, that I am aware of, so if you've got a price source quote to share, by all means, please do.^_^]
They're just lowering the reliance on it a bit, to appeal more to the core crowd, which they have stated they would like to focus a bit more on this time around. Strike a balance, as it were, between casual and core, so that they aren't leaving one side stranded.
Well, what I meant by "dropping" was that it's not going to be the sole be all and end all like it was for the Wii.
Personally I liked motion controls for most games. Some were a waste though and were really only made motion controlled because omg motion controls.

Quote:
As for the convo, from before, I do agree that games are a luxury.
I'm already in the situation where I'm forced to skip out on Tales of Graces, in favor of being able to EAT for the month, let alone being able to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of me and my girlfriend.
Just can't afford the game, much as I crave it.

And as for the used game topic, it's my opinion that someone should come up with a way to get some of the profit of used games to go back to the producers, even if said profit is very small.
If major retailers, like Game Stop, refused that deal, then I'm sure there would either be a more minor retailer that WOULD accept it, or one would come into existence, possibly one made BY one of the major game names, that would accept such a thing.

I don't exactly see used game sales as evil, but I do think that if more money gets back to the game's makers, the more likely it is that we will see those profits go into expanded budgets for bigger dev teams and, eventually, bigger and better games.
That's what day 1 DLC with codes in the box are for.
Those that buy used games don't get the code, so they have to spend some money to feed the developers if they want it.

TBH, I think that's the best way to do it. If people really wanna buy used games, fine. But they don't have the same right to the full game as those who actually are supporting the people who gave them the game in the first place.

There's a problem with that, though; years down the road, when a game is no longer being made and no new copies are in distribution, how do collectors who want to experience the full game manage to do so without pirating?
I don't think that day 1 DLC is an end-all solution.
Then they buy the DLC.
If it's so far in the future that the DLC can't be obtained any more?

Then to be fair, why should the companies care?
They're not going to see a penny from the sale anyways, so why should they worry about somebody who's going to wait several years before buying the game from someone who isn't them?

What if it's not a case of waiting, but of being born too late to take advantage? Or living in a place where the game was not localized and having no way of importing the right system on top of the game, or a myraid of other factors?
I don't think that that opportunity should be taken away from people in later years.
There's got to be a compromise somewhere, and I, for one, firmly believe that a good step might be rooted in retailers giving a portion of the used game sales profits back to the devs that make the products that they have forged their success upon in the first place.

8,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I'll tell you what's ruining the gaming world... 10 year olds! -.-
GunsmithKitten
Lost Dynamis

Let's say your movie WAS worth 50 dollars. And now VidCo has your movie for 48 dollars used... and guess what? All with the effort of walking over to a ******** wall and placing a case there. They now sell your masterpiece for cheaper and for 0 proceeds to you. Your work is now worthless because of these people. What did they do? They bought your movie for 4 dollars from someone who no longer finds amusement from your movie and wants ( for some stupid reason ) next-to-nothing in return for it just for them to put it onto a goddamn wall.

Why is this legal?

The same reason used car dealerships, thrift stores, and yard sales are legal. Do you protest those?

Yet it's funny, Ford doesn't demand that used car dealerships be put out of business.

I have yet to hear people involved in the garment industry launch ad campaigns to demand that second hand and thrift stores be put out of business for selling their hard work at pennies on the dollar.

Black and Decker and Fisher Price don't send armies of lawyers to shut down yard sales.

GunsmithKitten uses Logic it's super effective!

Aged Lunatic

Raven Prime
Which doesn't disprove him.

The very fact that so many garment, appliance, tool, auto, ect...industries have survived despite the presence of second hand sales proves it.

Quote:
Used games sales have become such a problem that developers have started cutting out content or adding DLC content that you'll get for free if you buy it new to offset the fact that they're not making money off of the sales of used games.

Again, if this is such a universal truth, why aren't other industries applying it? Why hasn't Coleman or Black and Decker come to bust up my yard sale when I was selling their stuff second hand?

Quote:
Also, your analogy is s**t.

Only by your bizarre standards.

Quote:
Clothing is consumable. It will wear out, or get torn, or get stained, and people will need to buy more.

Games have depreciation also, albeit more estoeric. Your point?

Quote:
There is also a much wider market for clothing, since everyone on the entire planet could use some clothes, as compared to the ~100 million gamers, which translates to generally about 1-2 million per game except in relatively rare occasions.

So what?

Quote:
Double also, when popular clothing stops selling for $100 for a pair of pants with materials and manufacturing that cost them maybe $5, then they can b***h about "used clothes sales".

Oh that's a laugh, considering how cheap CD's and DVD's are produced, and how it's even cheaper now that it's soon going to digital media and we won't own s**t.

Quote:
So basically, not only did you not disprove him, you hurt your own point by using an industry that has a potential market of every person ever comparing to one that has a small fraction of the population.

And you completely ignored the point that these industires survived just fine with the existence of second hand sales, yet you somehow think that it'll destroy this one.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
NotoriousLynx

So the pirates destroyed the worst game of 08

that harmed the Industry how?

Girl-Crazy Grabber

GunsmithKitten
The very fact that so many garment, appliance, tool, auto, ect...industries have survived despite the presence of second hand sales proves it.
Which doesn't disprove that it's a problem.
Way to go.

Quote:
Again, if this is such a universal truth, why aren't other industries applying it? Why hasn't Coleman or Black and Decker come to bust up my yard sale when I was selling their stuff second hand?
Are you going to bother using any relevant analogies, or just going to stick to bringing up other industries that don't apply?

Quote:
Games have depreciation also, albeit more estoeric. Your point?
My NES games still work.
My clothing from the same time stopped fitting 2 decades ago.

Quote:
So what?
I fail to believe you're too stupid to get the point of that.

Quote:

Oh that's a laugh, considering how cheap CD's and DVD's are produced, and how it's even cheaper now that it's soon going to digital media and we won't own s**t.
Which would be a good point if they were only selling blank CDs and DVDs.
Because apparently you think that the data on them just magically gets there for free.
I could put together a pair of pants for maybe $10 starting with no materials. Good luck trying to make your own PS3 game (sorry, those don't exist) Xbox 360 game starting with only a blank DVD.

Quote:

And you completely ignored the point that these industires survived just fine with the existence of second hand sales, yet you somehow think that it'll destroy this one.
And you ignored that other industries' survival is not relevant to this one. Apparently you think absolutely every industry ever is exactly the same and should all adhere to the exact same rules.
Too bad they don't.
But hey, don't take my word for it. Go check out the number of people outright stating that they wouldn't buy a console which registers games (because they apparently have never heard of a PC before somehow), which is caused by... you guessed it, too many used sales.
Maybe if people bought new, this wouldn't even have come up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff