Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Lost Dynamis

3. Digital only.

I'm a huge collector with games. I own about 90% of the RPG library from SNES to PS2... ( probably an exaggeration ). I like having these things sit on my shelf and look pretty. And guess what? You probably like it to. Take for instance the Angry Video Game Nerd or Pat the NES Punk. Isn't it just really cool to look at their collection? See what an entire generations of gaming looks like up-close. All those cartridges... Some worth 10 cents, some worth 500 dollars. Who knows? I like knowing that this shitty RPG is worth 70 dollars just because Atlus only sent 5 copies to every GameStop.

Now imagine if instead of NES carts, you instead just uploaded data onto your NES and SNES. I guess some people would like the extra room, but I can imagine a ton of people wouldn't be as much. I guess this example really doesn't take a grasp of the reality of it but think of this;

If your harddrive crashes. If your account gets blocked. If the servers decide to no longer be up and running. Your game is gone. That copy of Ikaruga you love? Yeah, it's gone. You don't own it anymore because Microsoft decided you don't deserve it anymore.

Your friend wants to borrow it? Nope. You want to sell it? Can't. It's not a real copy. And that's just it, you don't own it. You're just borrowing data from Microsoft until they tell you that you no longer deserve it.

That's just... not a very pleasant thought. That you just own data. And not a physical form.
Why the ******** do people think this is a NEW concept? PC has been doing this FOREVER now.

Eloquent Streaker

Veras Gunn
Used games
The reasons are obvious. They largely benefit the retailers who buy them at less than half of what they'll sell them for, which the publishers and developers see absolutely nothing of.
And why should the publishers and developers see any of that money, if they'll make more money off the initial sale and through DLC than the used game retailer will make off of reselling the game for less?

Seriously, the used game market IS NOT HURTING THE GAMING INDUSTRY AS BADLY AS THE GAMING INDUSTRY CLAIMS IT IS.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

The fans.

Apart from that, everything is better now than it ever has been.
NotoriousLynx
-Radiant-Abyss-
I guess I'm of the few left who like QTE.

While I can understand about why theres hate about DLC, its just the stepping stone towards making games digital only.

The only thing I think is really destroying gaming is the price of games.

The price of games has always been the relatively the same. NES games were around 40 - 50 dollars if google told me the truth. Someone said that a SNES game could cost around 70 - 80 dollars, but I find that hard to believe, its just that three other people confirmed that.

There were a few SNES/N64 games that got really high MSRP prices for some unknown reason.

The only "justiciable" one would be "Hey You Pikachu" at like 70

High-functioning Lunatic

22,150 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I don't have a problem with any of the things listed here so far.

Except for Kinect and QTEs. Kinect and the like actually makes games less fun to play and are usually only fun for people who don't understand how video games work. QTEs aren't that bad except for those during cutscenes; QTEs in cutscenes need to ******** die. I find nowadays I can't pay attention to what's going on in a cutscene because I'm constantly thinking I'm going to need to press a button at any moment; I miss half the dialogue in them. stare Again, it makes games less fun and relaxing to play.

My views on used/pre-owned games have already been expressed, so no point in me re-iterating.

The only thing "destroying" the gaming industry from my point of view is the price of games; it is, and always has been, ridiculously high.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

GunsmithKitten
Veras Gunn

Used games
The reasons are obvious. They largely benefit the retailers who buy them at less than half of what they'll sell them for, which the publishers and developers see absolutely nothing of.

You're right!

You know, I work in the garment industry, and the existence of these "Thirft stores" and "Goodwills" really pisses me off. I mean, do they know how much work I put into making those shirts and pants?! DO THEY?!

And it get's worse! I hear there are even companies who buy up rags and scraps to sell to the cleaning crews of facilities, but I don't see a dime of that! MY RAGS!

Goddammit, I'm going to demand that thrift stores be shut down by law and especially these rag distributors. If those cleaning ladies want rags, let them pay the 40$ for the shirt, what it's worth in the store goddammit!

rolleyes
Which doesn't disprove him.

Used games sales have become such a problem that developers have started cutting out content or adding DLC content that you'll get for free if you buy it new to offset the fact that they're not making money off of the sales of used games.

Also, your analogy is s**t.
Clothing is consumable. It will wear out, or get torn, or get stained, and people will need to buy more.
There is also a much wider market for clothing, since everyone on the entire planet could use some clothes, as compared to the ~100 million gamers, which translates to generally about 1-2 million per game except in relatively rare occasions.

Double also, when popular clothing stops selling for $100 for a pair of pants with materials and manufacturing that cost them maybe $5, then they can b***h about "used clothes sales".

So basically, not only did you not disprove him, you hurt your own point by using an industry that has a potential market of every person ever comparing to one that has a small fraction of the population.

Try harder.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

AngeIsThanatos

Except for Kinect and QTEs. Kinect and the like actually makes games less fun to play and are usually only fun for people who don't understand how video games work. QTEs aren't that bad except for those during cutscenes; QTEs in cutscenes need to ******** die. I find nowadays I can't pay attention to what's going on in a cutscene because I'm constantly thinking I'm going to need to press a button at any moment; I miss half the dialogue in them. stare Again, it makes games less fun and relaxing to play.

My views on used/pre-owned games have already been expressed, so no point in me re-iterating.

The only thing "destroying" the gaming industry from my point of view is the price of games; it is, and always has been, ridiculously high.
Destruction of the industry would imply that it's being killed.

Kinect and similar motion gaming is actually incredibly popular, meaning it's making the industry stronger by selling lots.

The price, if it has always been ridiculously high (it has), obviously would not be destroying the industry, or else it would have been destroyed by now (it hasn't).
Lost Dynamis
4. Used Games.

User Image

Original Poster

13,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Five things.

arrow Crap campaign.
Sorry folks, It's still not about who can shoot who the fastest. Yes it's still a huge part but what solo game has challenged a multiplayer since.. Skyrim did?

arrow P2P Console games. Not Xblg, I agree with the subscription cost. But why should I pay $60 for xbl then pay $60 for a game then $10 for another online..

arrow Ports.
Ports.. are ruining who owns what. Why the ******** is Spyro on the 360. Yes marketing but still.
Played better in the long run, characters like sonic wouldn't end up a Werehog.

arrow Console "war"
That's just goofy. Nintendo is family, Microsoft is gamer, Sony is Japan and Media..

arrow Overpriced.
Yes it costs money to make but look at something like Halo CEA. You can turn a lot more profit on a ton of $40 sales than a few $60's

Something that really bugged me about your post.
Because of the used game industry I have found companies I would have at first ignored. Used games allow people to experience the games at a cheaper cost and still they sometimes drop money on dlc. There's some if little direct money to the whomever made the games. Yes eb games and gamestop flourish on the profits of companies who work hard to produce games but its a dog eat dog world and it wouldn't be the same without it.I'd probably end up with in the end of the systems life 1/3 of the games I would have own if I only bought new yet I spend $30 on borderland dlc.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Lost Dynamis

What happens when you got higher costs? Less risks. Everything is a sequel, Everything is poorly made. Everything is about cutting corners.... A game that IS very well made, is just loaded with bugs and glitches. You got Skyrim where you got horses riding vertically up mountains, Mass Effect 3 where you got characters literally falling through the ground and falling into nothingness, Grand Theft Auto driving into the ground....
Sorry, are we implying that glitches have only started happening recently?
Have we forgotten that some of the most popularly cited examples of shittily made games are from a couple generations (or more) ago?

Quote:
2. DLC
I've encounted more useful DLC than crappy DLC. And I just ignore the crappy DLC.

Quote:
When I bought my copy of Larrys Adventure in Skittle Land, I got everything. I didn't have to pay 10 more dollars to unlock the TRUE ending and a new leisure weapon and costumer pack. That came WITH it!
Correction: You got everything that they let you get. You assume that it's complete because DLC wasn't there to tell you there was anything else.

Quote:
If your harddrive crashes. If your account gets blocked. If the servers decide to no longer be up and running. Your game is gone. That copy of Ikaruga you love? Yeah, it's gone. You don't own it anymore because Microsoft decided you don't deserve it anymore.
If your house gets on fire, if someone steals your collection, if your cartridge/disc breaks and it's a rare game, those copies of games you love? Yeah, they're gone. And you have to shell out of your own pocket to rebuy them.
Digital, however, if your computer screws up, you get that game back for free.
And let's be honest. If your account is getting blocked, 99% chance you did something to deserve it, so you can't complain.

Quote:
5. QTE's
Are fine.

Quote:
Why do these still exist?
Because they're fine.

Quote:
Do developers not see us passionately explaining how these are just not fun?
Developers don't tend to frequent Gaia.

Quote:
They're tedious. They don't add to the gameplay.
Wait... they don't add to the gameplay by... putting more gameplay in instead of just watching a scene?

Quote:
I don't really have much to say about this... just... how is it still around?
I think everyone who complains about QTEs should play Dragon's Lair.
Because it will either make them okay with QTEs, or they'll ragefit, so either way I win.

Quote:
What are your Top 5?
The fans, the fans, the fans, the fans, and the fans.
DLC on disk. this practice just pisses me off, based on my own understanding of buying the game which is this : I bought a game disk, I expect to have access to everything on that disk, through conventional means of just playing the game/ doing special things to unlock whatever there is on that disk. I am not gonna pay extra for data that's already on a disk that I bought.

quick time events, depending on how its used it can turn a game into a movie, or just not make it fun at all or it can be just uneccesary

stuff like "EA origins" and DRM. I can understand the need for stuff like this completely, but its how they are going about using the idea is what makes this practice cause more problems then it was designed to fix

3-D gaming, just like with movies its just a gimmick, I personally have yet to see an improvement just because your screwing around with my depth perception

tacked on multiplayer, this isnt necessarily a bad thing its just why? this is for games that got their appeal through single player and did fine, if not better than games with multiplayer

fan self entitlement/developer "artistic integrity". fans being selfish is an obvious problem, but just because a developer plays artistic integrity like a get out of jail free card doesn't mean they are justified at all(this doesn't happen a lot but don't defend a bad idea, because regardless of what you do with it, it shall remain a bad idea)

motion sensor gaming, I just find this to be another gimmick, not terrible, but not great

and lastly I remember reading a random article on how microsoft said their game systems were being used more as "home entertainment centers" rather than to just play games, this might just be the course of development for a company but it spells bad for good old fashioned gaming
ugh People who complain about DLC on the disc are stupid. It's intended as DLC from the beginning or at least sometime in development. It's exactly like normal DLC, just takes less time to download.

I agree big time on tacked on multiplayer. However, a lot of my favorite online moments are from the joke online some games have. Uncharted and BioShock 2 have hilariously fun multiplayer. I think Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are the ones with tacked on online MP.

Divine Reveler

Why does everyone blame second hand sales?

The past 30 years it hurt no one why the hell is it going to now?

There may be a few factors to it, however the comparison is so small it's not worth all the trouble.

Also I would hate to be the person who would love to try a new game, on a "Used game lockout" console, that has come off shelves. The Second market would explode with increases of prices (people buying the game brand new and keeping it that way, just waiting for the games to go off shelves so they can sell it to desperate people who don't have it later on).

So not only people would be paying out the a**, others are gaining large profits from something they did not make (but can legally redistribute it).

Locking out used games is simply the worst idea and, again, second-hand sales have done s**t.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Renko Usamii
Why does everyone blame second hand sales?

The past 30 years it hurt no one why the hell is it going to now?

There may be a few factors to it, however the comparison is so small it's not worth all the trouble.

Also I would hate to be the person who would love to try a new game, on a "Used game lockout" console, that has come off shelves. The Second market would explode with increases of prices (people buying the game brand new and keeping it that way, just waiting for the games to go off shelves so they can sell it to desperate people who don't have it later on).

So not only people would be paying out the a**, others are gaining large profits from something they did not make (but can legally redistribute it).

Locking out used games is simply the worst idea and, again, second-hand sales have done s**t.
Second hand sales caused locking out used games.

Logically, if locking out used games is "the worst idea", then the cause of the worst idea must be doing something bad, huh?

High-functioning Lunatic

22,150 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Raven Prime
AngeIsThanatos

Destruction of the industry would imply that it's being killed.

Kinect and similar motion gaming is actually incredibly popular, meaning it's making the industry stronger by selling lots.

The price, if it has always been ridiculously high (it has), obviously would not be destroying the industry, or else it would have been destroyed by now (it hasn't).

I should point out that I don't actually believe anything is "destroying" the industry, or even that such a thing would ever happen. I only used that word because that's how this topic started, and I put it in quotes to indicate I thought it was a silly and overblown thing to say.

One could argue (and I'm not saying this is necessarily true for all cases) that high prices are in a way contributing to the "destruction" of the industry because they create a need for used and pre-owned game stores to exist. Used games are popular because people can't afford to drop £30-£40 a time, and sometimes more, on a video game every few months; I certainly can't. I have to wait until my birthday or Christmas or some other landmark occasion to get any games, except for the rare occasions when I can scrape together enough to get one at another time. I have a mortgage to pay, food to buy, bills to pay, a cat to feed, car insurance, car tax, broadband subscription, etc etc. I'm currently jobless, but even when I did work I still had other things that needed my financial attention before a luxury like a game. I'm not saying I'm special for that, I dare say it's the same for a lot of people, and therefore I'm sure they're in the same situation I am. If it's a choice between paying £30 for a new game and consequently not having enough for food shopping that week, or waiting a few months and getting it for £20 or less from Gamestation/HMV/eBay, then I'm sorry, it has to be the latter. And I for one am sick of being made to feel like I'm killing the industry because I have other priorities.

(Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, even though it sounded like that. sweatdrop I'm just irritated in general by this and went off on a ranting tangent.)

Going back to my original point, high prices for games means that people can't buy them as often as they would like, which results in less profit for the companies who make them and means they have to resort to other measures like DLC, which people still complain about. I don't think it'll destroy the industry or anything as drastic, but it certainly hurts them somewhat.

Kinect, yeah it's true that it is making games more popular, but ultimately it's a fad like 3D cinema. Once the casual gamers get tired of it and move on to something else, then what? I guess it depends largely on what one defines as "destroying" gaming. If we're talking about Kinect coming in and turning a hobby that previously had a loyal and dedicated fanbase into something gimmicky and shallow, then I still stand by my assertion that it's ruining things somewhat. But then maybe that's just the butthurt gamer oldbie in me talking, annoyed at the kids messing up my lawn that I've been tending to for years quite happily. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff