Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Gaian

Kafkaesquire
9Os

That's primarily what it is dependent on. You could have a weapon that kills monsters in one hit but if it takes you twenty minutes, it's not worth it. The Great Sword is a decent weapon and you can use it effectively by yourself if you reserve it for the slower monsters. I suppose with enough practice and impeccable timing you could bring it against something like the Tigrex but I would still advise against it. If you're really unsure of whether or not you want to use a Great Sword, try the one star quest "Training: Great Sword" and see how you do. The Great Jaggi may not be a terribly fast or difficult monster but it should give you a decent idea of how that particular weapon operates.

i made the Rathalos one for fun back in MH3U and it was pretty good against monsters that are slow to somewhat fast in their movements, but things like barioth would probably devastate me. i'll give it another go anyway

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kafkaesquire
Xiam

If you ever have Pellet S, get rid of it. Clust S you should take based on the size of the monster. If it's not as big as the Gravios or is fast, don't bother with it. You should not need Normal S Lv2 except when the bowgun can use it for Rapid Fire and anything Pierce S below Lv3 is a waste of space. Do not bother with Armor, Demon, Sleep, Tranq, Paint, Recover, or Slicing S as all of that should be handled by your teammates. Para, Blast and Poison S should be brought based on the monster and what element your fellow hunters have on their weapons. Other than that most of what should be in your inventory is materials and combo books to make more ammunition.

I've been hit by others wielding Pellet, I've sworn against it. xd

I need a bowgun that can fire cluster, I think. And blast and poison.

I tend to use Normal S Lv3. Paint and Tranq I take in case others aren't doing it, or in case we're scattered and I find the thing first. Recover I always take in case they're too busy fighting to heal themselves.

I always try and get elements that will be good against a specific monster though. But again... it'll end up holding up the team a bit while I rummage in the box.

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
I have a question to ask the monster hunter veterans.

there are delays in move inputs - especially in monster hunter tri(3).
-compare the game with freedom wars, dark souls, legend of zelda even.

there are DELAYS like 0.2 seconds per dodge. I know its meant to make the game more "realistic" but cmon bro.
xLiemx

there are DELAYS like 0.2 seconds per dodge. I know its meant to make the game more "realistic" but cmon bro.

So what's the question?

Business Hunter

3,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
There's really not much to say here that already hasn't been said. However, as someone who solely uses GS and a soloist since the PSP games;

Hit hard when you can, use defensive buffs like pots and some equipment just in case you get hit, and always always keep your eye on your target. Both you and your target have limited supplies/abilities, so sometimes taking your time with a target and wear it down works better in your favor. there are cases that this doesn't apply, so it really depends on the target.

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
SuperSmashWaifus
xLiemx

So what's the question?

like do you guiz actually notice it.

and if MH4 fixes it.
xLiemx
SuperSmashWaifus
xLiemx

So what's the question?

like do you guiz actually notice it.

and if MH4 fixes it.

Me personally, I've never noticed it.

I'd say it's still the same, especially since I can't compare the previous versions to it. I also haven't heard of them changing any frames or anything so i'm assuming its the same.
There's always the demo if you want to feel it foe yourself.

Seeker

ButterPrime
I need your advice,

what can I do to be a better greatsword user?
I'm pretty proficient with it, and it's my main weapon,
but I need to be better.

Well, the first key is patience, thoroughly analyze what you're going up against and look for tell-tale signs in regards to when they attack, or when they're vulnerable for you to lash out. You never want to get ready with attacks. The Great Sword is really rounded, you can block with it, it is also strong which makes up for the lack of speed. It might also help to bring along demondrugs, might seeds and so on. Traps also work wonders for dealing a high amount of damage for a short period of time. I don't recommend using flash bombs, because that will make whatever you're going up against unpredictable. Happy Hunting~

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
In addition to learning the great sword. also considering eating the kitchen skill to activate the feline pro skill and bring 2 barrel bomb+, 3 barrel bomb, 10 gunpowder and 10 large barrel. This gives you 15 barrel bomb+ with the felyne pyro activated!

I think it speeds up the quest completion time.

Also considering tranq the monster, more rewards and save you two minutes in the quest.

Also don't fight the rage mode monster. Zone to another area, wait one minute and zone back into that area.
Hmm, if you plan to hunt online, one of my best advice is know which of your attacks LAUNCH other players

In the past generations, it's always the advice to know which these are and actively avoid launching people.
Now however, you can use it as an advantage...just pray whoever you launch realizes what you were planning.
I can't give more advice as I'm primarily a hammer user, but realizing that launching people can be useful in some situations, you can add that to your strategy.

The most important thing is to have fun. Know how long the blade is, the timing of your charges and hits, and know that BAILING in the middle of an attack you're doing is ALWAYS a viable option.

iDigress's Husbando

Tipsy Smoker

10,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
Learn when to dodge to cancel out of the lengthy swinging animations.
Learning how to block can save your health, but at a cost to sharpness.
You should only be blocking wide area attacks that dodging would not help you get out of.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff