Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Prophet

I need your advice,

what can I do to be a better greatsword user?
I'm pretty proficient with it, and it's my main weapon,
but I need to be better.
Git gud and dont get hit

Blessed Hunter

Keep an eye on your shoulder against the wind of your walk
An eye ahead to know who doth talk;

Take your time with missions and learn the monsters moves. Learn to dodge and block.

Listen to the Voice of Reason
And ye shall pass the Grasp of Treason

Dapper Spotter

"Don't get hit. Hit it until it dies."

Other than that, a few basic tips with GS are:

Never move with your weapon out. Use it for attacking only. You're not mobile enough with that thing to try and go anywhere with it. The damage output is high enough that you'll only be doing a swing or two before you need to get the ******** out of the way and sheath it.

With that in mind, Crit Draw is a really good skill to have on GS. Quick Sheath probably wouldn't hurt either.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Pretty much a noob here, and I don't even use the greatsword (I keep meaning to make one), but...
GrayFox7
Never move with your weapon out. Use it for attacking only. You're not mobile enough with that thing to try and go anywhere with it. The damage output is high enough that you'll only be doing a swing or two before you need to get the ******** out of the way and sheath it.

I'll go with this. Something I learned from the in-game tutorial was basically that you should attack, sheath the greatsword, move into position, attack again.

Hell, I sheath all my weapons if I can't confirm a good hit and need a major reposition. Even dual blades and sword 'n' shield allow for pretty quick movement, but it's not quick enough on the field to keep it out too long, especially to get across the field just to hit the damn thing (or if gunning, to get it into the line of sight). The only time I leave them out is if I only have time to dodge (which is quick enough no matter what you wield, but still requires too much.
Xiam
Pretty much a noob here, and I don't even use the greatsword (I keep meaning to make one), but...
GrayFox7

I'll go with this. Something I learned from the in-game tutorial was basically that you should attack, sheath the greatsword, move into position, attack again.

Hell, I sheath all my weapons if I can't confirm a good hit and need a major reposition. Even dual blades and sword 'n' shield allow for pretty quick movement, but it's not quick enough on the field to keep it out too long, especially to get across the field just to hit the damn thing (or if gunning, to get it into the line of sight). The only time I leave them out is if I only have time to dodge (which is quick enough no matter what you wield, but still requires too much.

With GS try to get in as many charged strikes as possible. You have to predict where they will land.

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am not an expert with that weapon but I think that in a group that is really good, your team will give you the openings.

Dapper Spotter

SuperSmashWaifus
Xiam
GrayFox7

With GS try to get in as many charged strikes as possible. You have to predict where they will land.

In practice.
GrayFox7
SuperSmashWaifus
Xiam
GrayFox7

In practice.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Unfortunately I will never be the type of GS user to have that kind of prediction, or skill.

Now here's the git gud and dont get hit in practice

;___ ;

Lonely Wolf

14,515 Points
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • Generous 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
Take it from a GS God.. CUT... THE.... TAIL.... If a monster dies and it's tail is intact, get a new weapon. That's about it.

Feral Sex Symbol

14,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Step 1
Don't take advice from anyone with Ego

Step 2
Practise practise practise practise practise

It's all in the experience, as it is with any type of weapon

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Every group needs at least one GS user and someone that can spam mounts, Insect Glaive users are amongst the highest to cause a mount as they can use R+B to launch themselves in the air in order to cause an air attack.

1. A mounted down (unless enraged) lasts longer than a normal down from attacking the legs, at least from what I've seen in the Low Rank hunts while playing solo as a IG user(started as a lancer, felt that I would be too slow against anything besides a Jaggi and swapped to IG). If playing solo, go for the legs, hit with a Stage 3 overhead (Hold X until there is a third shine) on the downed monster's head for maximum damage, sheathe and repeat.

2. If you have them, take your main palico and a sub palico, I personally suggest bringing a healing forte with Purrticso, when the palicos use this team ability they will be temporarily invincible and raise your total health and stamina. Very helpful when you're low on health recovering items (the monster will also sometimes target your Palicoes instead of you, giving you time to get away to sharpen your weapon, eat a well-done steak, or consume a health item)

Feral Sex Symbol

14,650 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Kafkaesquire
Ravagraid
Step 1
Don't take advice from anyone with Ego

Then your advice would be permanently avoided.

GIVE THEM HELL

User Image

I think you , who's been banned from the general thread twice.
Would be a far worse choice.

On that note, don't talk to me again.

DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING ELSE

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out