Welcome to Gaia! ::

Princess Ballet Tutu
Does anyone on gaia speak Irish?

I wish I could. I am by blood a member of the Cameron Clan, as far as I know. So, it's only natural that I learn that language. Also, that's my last name. I know one word in Gaelic though. Cameron means crooked nose in Gaelic. that's where it is said to have come from
animalz4life
Hey you want to know one Irish word its "Cead Mìle Fàilte" it means One Thousand Welcomes. I am Irish/German btw and I am very proud of it. my moms last name was Glennon which is irish, and my dads was Horn which is german so now I have a german last name but I am still half irish and I lived there. Now I am in america from imigration and is very huge.

So you have some Irish? "cead mìle fàitle" is normally used in greetings, but if you directly translate it, it means more than just hello or hi... they say the Irish are the best English speakers because we still have a bit of our Irish heritage in us. So in English if you said "I am tried", in Irish you would say "tà tuirseach an domhàin orm" Which roughly means " I have a world of tiredness on me". So we express our words more thanks to our ancestors! ^^
TheFirstForgottenSoul
Princess Ballet Tutu
Does anyone on gaia speak Irish?

I wish I could. I am by blood a member of the Cameron Clan, as far as I know. So, it's only natural that I learn that language. Also, that's my last name. I know one word in Gaelic though. Cameron means crooked nose in Gaelic. that's where it is said to have come from

Cameron would be an old gaelic name yes, and would have that meaning!
Is the Cameron clan on gaia?!
Here's how you say hello in irish : "Dia dhuit" [pronouncelike= Di-ah gu-which]
apparently there's an international meeting in... 2009 I think. I really want to go. Do you know people belonging to the cameron clan? And if there isn't a cameron caln guild, I'll start one! But appart from myself, I do not know. I live in America, my dad was born in Canada, and a few generations back you'd get to ireland
TheFirstForgottenSoul
apparently there's an international meeting in... 2009 I think. I really want to go. Do you know people belonging to the cameron clan? And if there isn't a cameron caln guild, I'll start one! But appart from myself, I do not know. I live in America, my dad was born in Canada, and a few generations back you'd get to ireland

You so should start a clan!! ^^! Where is the meeting being held?!

Gambino Raider

My sister is in Dublin, Ireland, with her husband and baby. They will be there for 2 years or however long his office wants him there.
She is enjoying it and says there are many (permanent) immigrants to Ireland. I wonder if they learn Gaelic too? Is it possible to have a Chinese family there for 2-3 generations that studied Gaelic and consider themselves as Irish as they possibly can?
Shortacus
My sister is in Dublin, Ireland, with her husband and baby. They will be there for 2 years or however long his office wants him there.
She is enjoying it and says there are many (permanent) immigrants to Ireland. I wonder if they learn Gaelic too? Is it possible to have a Chinese family there for 2-3 generations that studied Gaelic and consider themselves as Irish as they possibly can?

Yeah sure it is.. they won't be Irish by blood but they, can learn the culture etc and become Irish citizens!
Princess Ballet Tutu

Check on youtube. Look up Cameron Clan. Are you part of the Cameron clan?
TheFirstForgottenSoul
Princess Ballet Tutu

Check on youtube. Look up Cameron Clan. Are you part of the Cameron clan?

No, but i might try to join tho
Dia dhuit.

Nice to see this thread, but unfortunately I am terrible at Irish. I have been learning it most of my life and I still don't have a clue. sad It's a shame really.

Slán. biggrin

4,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Market Browser 100
Its funny everyone outside of Ireland whos family came from there somewhere along the line wants to learn it but almost nobody living in Ireland wants to

Feral Shapeshifter

I'm 25% Irish(born in USA), but I only know how to swear in Irish....
What does that say?
I just realized how sad that is....
Laurraxo
Dia dhuit.

Nice to see this thread, but unfortunately I am terrible at Irish. I have been learning it most of my life and I still don't have a clue. sad It's a shame really.

Slán. biggrin

Oh, so does that mean your from Ireland too? Yeah i dunno much Irish either, but i like to speak what i know!! ^^
XWhatsherface
Its funny everyone outside of Ireland whos family came from there somewhere along the line wants to learn it but almost nobody living in Ireland wants to

Yeah but thats cas the way we learn Irish over here is stupid... the Irish would probably have a better opinion of the language if the leaving cert exam was changed!!

Sparkly Cat

12,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I'm in Dublin myself.

I never enjoyed learning Irish in a school setting. Surprisingly enough I learnt more Irish from some of my relatives than I ever did in school.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff