Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25
/SNRK/Uh? Huhwha? /looks around bleary-eyed/

Well, as long as this topic's being posted in again, I have news re: the Otami gods: they're not gods.

Dialogue from zOMG!, Otami Ruins
(Player): Now wait just a minute! You two are completely for real? I mean...I thought all this Spirit stuff was just mumbo-jumbo to impress the locals!

Lin: No. They are very real, at least here in the lands of The People. I think they have less power farther away from the Shallow Sea, but here, they are mighty, and in recent years, they have been very active in the lives of The People.

(Player): So you two just signed me up for some sort of quest to face the challenges of spirits that I never knew existed, for a 'boon' that I never asked for, and now if I don't face that challenge, I'm going to have a GOD angry at me?

Rin: Yes. Although they are merely Spirits of Gaia's elements made manifest...not exactly 'gods' as you barbarians usually refer to them. But that is essentially correct.

Ergo, I'm sure Veset won't have too much of a problem dealing with them. There might even be commentary about such beings, mid-way between mortals and gods, somewhere in the untranslated books of the Peuepialle...but for now, that's just surmise.
HARHARHAR.
Did Rin just call us barbarians? Charming, really, very charming. At any rate, their Spirits we can assume are a)high level b)bound to their land.

Lin: No. They are very real, at least here in the lands of The People. I think they have less power farther away from the Shallow Sea, but here, they are mighty, and in recent years, they have been very active in the lives of The People.

Well I sort of expected this actually, and Drunkenstyle, do correct me if I'm wrong, but they I did happen to read somewhere that the Japanese gods, or certain lesser gods, belong to a land, guard it, bring good harvest and etc. So we can classify it has very powerful 'land' spirits. The land of Otami is only one beautiful example of some being midway between God and Mortal, as you mentioned Platonix, which leads me to believe with Gaia's lands being expanded, that we happen to encounter more of these entities.

Now this is one thing I've been musing about for awhile. Gambino's immense power, so odd, so very mystifying actually. I've never understood where on Gaia he had gotten so much power. Is the resemblance, or sort of ish resemblance, with blond hair and arrogant attitude, have some if any likeness to Apollus? Maybe Gambino may be the b*****d offspring over the course of many many many generations. Just a theory.
New Monthly Collectibles, Voracious Fog, an allusion to Gaian monks~
biggrin

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
crying

As if the recent harping on Greek gods wasn't bad enough...

..."Sol, Lord of Summer".

Vulcagni is undoubtedly furious.

Ace Wolfman's Husband

Perfect Member

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Platonix
crying

Vulcagni is the God of Summer, still. Maybe he has his lords and ladies look after it while he's doing his more godly duties?

; o;

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
Hmm...I suppose that might explain why Sol and his forces can be defeated by an ice cream vendor and some sentient snacks...if Sol were truly a god, he couldn't be defeated by anything less than Phrigustus in a peach hat and apron.
Platonix
crying

Darn it. I didn't get here first. D:

But yay, new 'god-like-being-thing'! :'D It is even snazzier that it reinforces the concept of Vulcagni making the demonic race. "...demonic heat wave". I wonder if we get a Winter lord/lady. Personally I hope it is a lady, I would be so happy. ;^; Live thread live!
Platonix
Hmm...I suppose that might explain why Sol and his forces can be defeated by an ice cream vendor and some sentient snacks...if Sol were truly a god, he couldn't be defeated by anything less than Phrigustus in a peach hat and apron.
Technically, Phrigustus and Vulcagni could never beat one another.
You don't have the Otami definition of what a "god" is though, so it's still ambiguous as to the limitations of the entities. Has anyone here read the Popul Vuh, associated with the Mayan civillization?

Oh, um, hullo! Lol.

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
Ivalician Scholar
Platonix
Technically, Phrigustus and Vulcagni could never beat one another.
But, but the peach hat and apron, man! Once Phrigustus dons the Magical Raiments of Aise Qreemven D'orr, Vulcagni and his allies will finally be forced to submit to winter's chill! Mwahahaha...completely kidding, of course...please don't smite me Fire Lord...

Salvaged Dusk
You don't have the Otami definition of what a "god" is though, so it's still ambiguous as to the limitations of the entities. Has anyone here read the Popul Vuh, associated with the Mayan civillization?

Oh, um, hullo! Lol.
Greetings! Welcome to yon Hallowed (though regrettably rarely trod) Halls!

I'm not sure I've ever heard of the Popul Vuh, but you seem to be coming from a position of experience. Care to enlighten us so that we might deepen our understanding of Gaia's higher powers?
Platonix
Greetings! Welcome to yon Hallowed (though regrettably rarely trod) Halls!

I'm not sure I've ever heard of the Popul Vuh, but you seem to be coming from a position of experience. Care to enlighten us so that we might deepen our understanding of Gaia's higher powers?

The Popul Vuh is a collection of myths and stories outlining the beliefs of the people who eventually (through the progression of the story) became the Maya; it involves the Creation Myth (which is very important when considering the zOMG/Animated plot line), the escapades of brothers 1 and 7 Hunahpu, involving their trek to Xibalba and their eventual death by the hands of the Lords of Night/Death (which involves their experiences in the Houses of Xibalba). There are two other main story sections, one involving the sons of 1 and 7 Hunahpu (both are the fathers of both resulting sons, as odd as that sounds), and the adventures of the original four men, and the cities which they produced.

Why I bring this up, is that, during the creation myth (I'm exasperated at the moment considering I've somehow misplaced my version of the book SOMEWHERE &*&%! -- it's coming from memory atm), the gods decided to create man -- first, came the man made of clay, but he was brittle, and quickly fell to pieces, and the pieces to dust. Second, came... some form or another, but it too fell away in time. Several rounds of creation come about, until the men made from wood, the Manikins (I believe is how they spelled it -- not the traditional spelling of Mannequin). These people moved about, and lived, but felt nothing. They had no emotions, and did not give rightful praise unto the gods (either ignoring the gods completely, using a strange or inappropriate tongue, or both). They offended the gods by their very presence, and their continuing life of motion without passion or awareness of the gods. So, the gods set about to eradicate their mistake, and sent a storm unto the earth -- the skies rained down, but it was not water, but black resin. The objects and tools that came into contact with this resin rose up, alive, and seeking retribution for their forced labor -- the mill stones came unto the wooden men, and more or less said "You did not hear me screaming as you pounded me, day after day -- this day, I shall not hear you," ; parts of doorways and walls shot from their resting places, flinging themselves at the wooden people. Whole homes collapsed onto the people. The people ran to the caves, seeking refuge, but the caves shut themselves up, turning the people away. As this was going on, the animals themselves rose up, and hunted the people, on behalf of the gods.

Then came such deities as Gouger-of-Eyes, Bloody Teeth, and Bloody Claws (possibly also Hurrikane, Packstrap and Wing 4, Jaundice Master and Puss Master), eliminating droves of the unfortunate people. In the end, it was catastrophic -- only a few of those people survived, and they did this by climbing high trees, and thus becoming the first monkeys.

Sound familiar? >_>

And for mentioning the adventures of Hunahpu and Xbalanque, one of the trials they were placed under was to spend the night in the House of Razors -- a massive room in the underworld, where large blades moved back and forth in rows, of their own volition, seeking to rip flesh. Large blades, moving on their own >_> Unfortunately, Hunahpu and Xbalanque's father never made it to that house, as they had failed prior tests, and thus were... disposed of.

._. In any case, I now go back to looking for my book. But I can expand on the stories as needed, and as memory will allow. I refuse to use internet sources till my book shows back up ; ;.

Also, does anyone know who Yemaya is, of Yemaya's pearl? And where exactly is Gaia's Caribbean? o_o

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
Salvaged Dusk
Also, does anyone know who Yemaya is, of Yemaya's pearl? And where exactly is Gaia's Caribbean? o_o
The GCD has a Yemaya's Pearl fanthread here. In the very first post, Yemaya is identified as "a West African/Afro-Carribbean goddess of the sea", with three links to information about her.

As for Gaia's Caribbean...file that under "you're not supposed to put so much thought into this". xd Gaia staff will never learn to stop making things that get filed there.
Platonix
Salvaged Dusk
The GCD has a Yemaya's Pearl fanthread here. In the very first post, Yemaya is identified as "a West African/Afro-Carribbean goddess of the sea", with three links to information about her.

As for Gaia's Caribbean...file that under "you're not supposed to put so much thought into this". xd Gaia staff will never learn to stop making things that get filed there.

I knew who she was, just poking people's brains here. Does she intermingle with the Veset's pantheon? :0 Or Tlaloc and Huitzotl? Maybe something along the lines of nymphs or... or something? Idk. Lol. Thanks for the link though!color]
Crazy thought, but I can't help but think it would behoove them with their RPG lovin' or detail driven Gaians to make a world map that includes, ya know... the world. Sure, we could only have access to our continent, but it could be fun.
I leave for a second and you all explode into a mayhem of speculation! D:

I'm not sure if Yemaya is actually an entity into Gaia itself since she is based off a real life goddess. Same as Apollo, Artemis, Hera and other Greek Gods not being actual gods of Gaia. The pantheon of the Veseti is very set, and unless the Gaian staff alludes to some more Gaian gods, the pantheon seems exclusive and containing only that of the present ones. Then again, Gaia is a very large world, and it was evidenced by the Otami Gods that there is more than one set of religions and deities in Gaia. And like someone mentioned before, leaves much room for crusades. Harharhar.

@Platonix:
D:< Don't apologize to that huffed and puffed up God of Summer, it is right to support Phrigustus~!
By the way, what god did you ever affiliate yourself to? You always seemed like an Eirmehz guy to me.

@Ivalician:
That seems to be expanded on by zOMG. And most users fear if they do make one, then if Gaia releases a new map or something to contradict the user's own made map, then their efforts would be for naught :[ Klim made a thread suggesting the same thing, but I'm not sure if the Gaia staff would go as far to do that...yet. It struck me that the Veseti religion was limited to the Durem-Aekea-Barton-Gambino isles area. e_e

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff