Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Wouldn't Gaia be a nicer place if we didn't always slam each other? If instead of arguing, we just formed a reasonable resolution? This thread is here to discuss just that. Even though you can't see who you're talking to on the internet, you're still talking to a real person. That means that they still care if you slam them, but more importantly, they still care if you do something nice for them. What if we all just did nice things for Gaians every day? Like:

-Just saying "Good Luck!" Or "Have a Nice Night!" when you leave a game
-Responding to a nasty comment with something nicer, to lighten the mood
-Donating to a Quester (something I'm guilty of not doing)
-Complimenting someone's avi
-And, if it's your thing, saying "thanks for buying!" to someone who decided to pick up an item of yours on the MP or Gaia Exchange

These simple things will help make Gaia, and the real world, a better place. If anyone has suggestions, PM me.

Just think about it: If you make another Gaian happy by doing a good deed, then maybe they'll go out and do the same. In the end, it will come back to you. The same goes for a bad deed. It'll also come back around to you at some point. KARMA IS REAL!

If you're like me, and you often say something insulting because you don't think about it, Gaia is a great way to practice thinking before you act. You can't take back something you say in real life, but you can delete (or easily stop yourself from posting) a forum post. Another great site to practice on is www.cleverbot.com, an online talking AI that can have a halfway-decent conversation with you.

To put it simply: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all." That's all you need to do to make Gaia a better place. Ridley Starsmore also put it nicely:
Ridley Starsmore
You know, best rule of thumb I have found is just talk and type like you would want someone to talk to you, eh?

If you don't believe me, just go out and try it. I dare you. You'll be pleasantly surprised. mrgreen biggrin Oh yeah, and smilies always make a conversation better.

To pledge your support, copy this to your sig:
[align=center][url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-projects/respect-da-noodle-for-a-nicer-friendlier-gaia/t.66894103/][img]http://i54.tinypic.com/ndscci.png[/img][/url][/align]

Also, make sure that if you like this, click the little heart thing at the top left of the screen. 3nodding

Codebreaking Genius

12,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Healer 50
  • Nerd 50
I've married cleverbot.

Twice.

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Please don't bump - the GCD stickies say that clearly.

That it's nicer for everyone if everyone was nice is obvious. But in the end Gaia is still a place for freedom of thought. So if people want to say something less nice so that others don't misinterpret it, they're in their own right.

Codebreaking Genius

12,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Healer 50
  • Nerd 50
Yilanti Midnight

That it's nicer for everyone if everyone was nice is obvious. But in the end Gaia is still a place for freedom of thought. So if people want to say something less nice so that others don't misinterpret it, they're in their own right.

Quote:
Spamming
Nonsensical posts with no discussion value, posts not related to the topic at hand and excessive bumping are considered spam and only permitted in the Chatterbox.

Bumping one time after four days of not getting a reply is clearly not obsessive or spamming, hun.

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Chromatic Bird
Yilanti Midnight

Quote:
Spamming
Nonsensical posts with no discussion value, posts not related to the topic at hand and excessive bumping are considered spam and only permitted in the Chatterbox.

Bumping one time after four days of not getting a reply is clearly not obsessive or spamming, hun.

My bad, I thought this thread had been made today.
Chromatic Bird
I've married cleverbot.

Twice.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's tried to marry me, but I shot it down. mrgreen It's still fun when it answers correctly, though.

Yilanti Midnight
Chromatic Bird
Yilanti Midnight

Quote:
Spamming

My bad, I thought this thread had been made today.

It's okay. Rules are rules, and you probably see a lot of spammers around here.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
*eats the noodle*
mMMmm moreeee

*drools*

Being nice is nice. I don't get why it's fun to slam someone unprovoked, that is. Going on a website to create a stressful e-environment or stew in a stressful e-environment isn't worth it. I guess that's why the ignore button exists ^__^. Someone tried stirring s**t with me once via PMs and I just ignored it. Pretty easy but then again I'm not an adolescent so I don't really take it as personally. Wish I kept his PM though, to show other people and get a laugh out of it some day. It's good conversation fodder. biggrin

I don't believe in Karma but I do believe doing nice things and not doing mean things increases the likelihood that you put yourself in a situation/environment where good things can happen. Some conflict spice is welcome now and then IMO but that's just for the sake of variety.

BTW DELICIOUS noodle!

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
To be honest, I'd rather just report someone who gave me a nasty comment rather than reply back to them.
They were unkind for an unprovoked reason, so I don't really feel like anything I say to them'll make it better. xD

I like complimenting avatars though, I did so the other day and should do it more because it's fun. ^^

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
Yeah, I usually just bypass the nasty stuff without comment nowadays. Oh sure, I may say, "Gosh, some people are such douches!" Every now and again, but it's usually after the fact, and specific users aren't mentioned.

And lol, I can't wait to see how many people will be like, "OMG I HATE 'THANKS FOR BUYING' MESSAGES." rofl

Pirate

13,800 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle: KO 200
The world can be cruel and mean, but doesn't mean one has to become part of that beast. It's good to see people still adhere to some code of chivalry. You can't change people but you can change the world around you.
Quote:

-PMing or profile-commenting a "Thanks for Buying!" message when someone buys your marketplace listing

I ******** HATE THIS. SO ******** MUCH. RAEG
I didn't buy it to be nice, I bought it because it just so happened to be the cheapest in the MP. I don't need anyone spamming my comments with such worthless drivel talk2hand
I actually don't mind the thank you messages, I think they're sweet, unless it's like " Thank you for buying, may I have your coco?" XD I think the thing that's "in" right now is being a troll, or at least, trying to be so well, you see a lot of not so nice people, but as people above me have said, you can't change them but you can change the world around by your actions. If you're nice and respectful to people you'll find yourself surrounded by people that do the same and make some nice friends. C: You have to get out there and do something though, you can't just complain that people are complaining too much, or hate that people hate, troll the trolls, and expect people to be kind to you.

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
Sami Von Disco
Yeah, I usually just bypass the nasty stuff without comment nowadays. Oh sure, I may say, "Gosh, some people are such douches!" Every now and again, but it's usually after the fact, and specific users aren't mentioned.

And lol, I can't wait to see how many people will be like, "OMG I HATE 'THANKS FOR BUYING' MESSAGES." rofl

No, seriously, I hate those. I expect something interesting on my profile or in my PMs and then I look and it's "Thanks for buying!" even if it's an item that's worth maybe 5g. Ugh. = w=

I agree that people should be nicer, or at least more tolerant of other people and their opinions. Sometimes the Greater Internet ******** Theory takes over, though.

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Megathread 100
I always give a friendly goodbye when leaving. Usually "take care, nice chatting, have fun, etc". I don't dislike profile comments or PMs when I buy something but it's not needed. Avatar compliments are always welcome and I always try and give one whenever I can.

I'm guilty of escalating a disagreement into an argument. =w=

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces