Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yen Quest
FierceHex
For me it was always and is always about my characters bio and skills. Don't get me wrong I want my characters to look cool but after they had a story and only to look cool for the sake of being a bada$$
Appearances usually accompany the character's personality/etc so, I wouldn't be surprised if people happen to look the way they do. Just, don't go with attractive character because "not-human" lazy dome route.please. x'D

Then again, I'm not blaming folks to go easy when they just want to RP temporarily. If someone's set for a long term RP, well even if it's for a week or so, at least give the characters' and story's potential some thought before jumping in blindfolded (which tend to make up for majority of RPs I've seen recently).

Yup. These days it feels like no one cares about a characters well-roundedness. No flaws, no weaknesses...they're always perfect in appearance and everything else. It is super hard to get anyone to RP with some of my less attractive characters. Eventually I got so sick of everyone telling me how my character felt about theirs (A'la "When she entered the room every eye was immediately drawn to her breathtaking beauty." Or some such drivel.) that I just started making mine have sarcastic comments to say. I also got tired of all these super OP "I can beat anyone!" characters so I started making all mine non-combat. Under combat skills I'd just write "She can probably run away." or "He can throw (badly) any item near him and then scream like a little girl." I kinda went off the deep end trying to give my characters the most mundane backgrounds and skillsets possible.

Fantasy RP? She's a merchant's daughter with a normal family life and history.
Modern RP? He's a taxi driver with a wife and a kid.
Sci Fi? She's basically a futuristic electrician with no combat skills whatsoever.

People would get annoyed because I'd want to join a superhero RP and play the normal cop who had to deal with cleaning up after the mess.

Also, never try to join any RP with an overweight, middle aged balding guy. No matter how much I like his personality or playing him no one wants to interact with someone they have no chance of hooking their character up with.

Basically This.

I know every RPer has committed these sins at one time or another but those who CONTINUE to do so are the worst.

Tiny Shapeshifter

FierceHex
I agree. Isn't that a huge part of an rp? Character development, story development and then of course fun? You can't take any of that away because a true rp can't function without the other.. The fact that you say the majority of rps are the way you've described them makes me sad
Well, I can't really blame some of them to do things the way they do though. There are those who simply don't have the time to dedicate to certain things for long. If they want to go for something quick and easy, then great for them. No hard feelings. Just don't expect me to be understanding of something I don't quite understand (like smooching). x'D
These are all great points, and is truly opening my eyes to different point of views. From getting frustrated by everyone wanting to be op, to the lack of dedication, time or drive. But..when did that push all of the true Rpers out?...was it hard to gat her up and soley rp with those who can come to terms with not being the strongest all of the time, as well as understanding it's more about story then looks and cybering...(Eh) Why would the true Rpers allow the horny gaians, the self indulging gaians to take the rp forums from us

Tiny Shapeshifter

xx I met my fate xx

Sci Fi? She's basically a futuristic electrician with no combat skills whatsoever.

Also, never try to join any RP with an overweight, middle aged balding guy. No matter how much I like his personality or playing him no one wants to interact with someone they have no chance of hooking their character up with.
Sorry to cut your post down some, but omg, I love your choices in characters. I mean, seriously, when was the last time someone bothered to interact with a freakin' normal & sane character? I mean, seriously, I do! I'm so sick and bored of wondering what to do with a not-human guy/gal in front of my character, for fear that I gave them something to take offense to (even though we only know of each other for a minute at most within the story's timeline). Oh no! Somehow I end up being the victim of insensitivity under a blink of an eye~ scream

Tiny Shapeshifter

FierceHex
These are all great points, and is truly opening my eyes to different point of views. From getting frustrated by everyone wanting to be op, to the lack of dedication, time or drive. But..when did that push all of the true Rpers out?...was it hard to gat her up and soley rp with those who can come to terms with not being the strongest all of the time, as well as understanding it's more about story then looks and cybering...(Eh) Why would the true Rpers allow the horny gaians, the self indulging gaians to take the rp forums from us
Hm? Oh. Well, we simply don't bother with that stuff. It's much easier to find our place elsewhere (like guilds or something) to do whatever than to jump into the fray and kick people off of our lawns (it'll cause way more trouble than what it's worth, mind you).

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yen Quest
xx I met my fate xx

Sorry to cut your post down some, but omg, I love your choices in characters. I mean, seriously, when was the last time someone bothered to interact with a freakin' normal & sane character? I mean, seriously, I do! I'm so sick and bored of wondering what to do with a not-human guy/gal in front of my character, for fear that I gave them something to take offense to (even though we only know of each other for a minute at most within the story's timeline). Oh no! Somehow I end up being the victim of insensitivity under a blink of an eye~ scream

Exactly! Every story needs normal characters. I have no desire for my character to be a center of attention and a well-rounded cast makes a more interesting co-operative writing experience. Using the super hero Rp as an example again, what are the chances that in one city there are 12 super heroes who are equally awesome? Why not have that normal person to show the perspective of the rest of the city.

Tiny Shapeshifter

xx I met my fate xx
Exactly! Every story needs normal characters. I have no desire for my character to be a center of attention and a well-rounded cast makes a more interesting co-operative writing experience. Using the super hero Rp as an example again, what are the chances that in one city there are 12 super heroes who are equally awesome? Why not have that normal person to show the perspective of the rest of the city.
True that. Imo, it's probably that more fun to sling mud around each other since you're just a normal human. I mean, if a demon goes ahead and off'ed a human character, other rpers will just be like "dude, duuude? Seriously now? That's so cliche for a demon, man. o_O; "

And this is why I enjoy jumping into RPs as an innocent animal creature, say for example:
- Baby star dragon who fell out of no where at the wrong place and wrong time
- A talking senile turtle guardian of whatever
- Or a very very VERY pissed off town cat

Give 'em folks some whacky characters to play around with, and be amused of their actions, lolza.

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Dunno, man.

I don't really like text-based role play, because there is no dice rolling to determine if you do well at something. I think it's kind of like cheating.

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yen Quest
xx I met my fate xx
True that. Imo, it's probably that more fun to sling mud around each other since you're just a normal human. I mean, if a demon goes ahead and off'ed a human character, other rpers will just be like "dude, duuude? Seriously now? That's so cliche for a demon, man. o_O; "

And this is why I enjoy jumping into RPs as an innocent animal creature, say for example:
- Baby star dragon who fell out of no where at the wrong place and wrong time
- A talking senile turtle guardian of whatever
- Or a very very VERY pissed off town cat

Give 'em folks some whacky characters to play around with, and be amused of their actions, lolza.

OMG...senile turtle guardian...that's...omg amazing.
Catena Carswell
well personally I quit RPing on here because a couple years back gaia made a series of questionable choices involving the forums, locking old threads after some inexcusably short period of inactivity among them

combine this with the solid brick wall of refusal to do anything even remotely like updating guilds and a few really scary archive reliability issues with threads, the site itself is inherently mechanically really unfriendly to roleplay, the staff is blatantly out of touch with the RPer community and what they want/need from a site-

essentially I quit rping on gaia because they made it more appealing to use google docs and ******** skype.
So where is a good RP site though?

Tiny Shapeshifter

xx I met my fate xx
Since I was a regular/senior-member of a guild whose captain hosted a grand re-opening RP, I just jumped into the RP with whatever avatar I was sporting at the time (the "I AM" turtle pose of the Hard Shell Pack MC). I'm like, "what the heck is a talking turtle doing around here?" and just threw some random shiz together, lol.

Sadly, I had to go through a couple rounds of "what the ef is up with this turtle" with some youngster who has his "innocent side fighting his own evil side self" character. I lost interest pretty quickly because it gotten too emo. x'D

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yen Quest
xx I met my fate xx
Since I was a regular/senior-member of a guild whose captain hosted a grand re-opening RP, I just jumped into the RP with whatever avatar I was sporting at the time (the "I AM" turtle pose of the Hard Shell Pack MC). I'm like, "what the heck is a talking turtle doing around here?" and just threw some random shiz together, lol.

Sadly, I had to go through a couple rounds of "what the ef is up with this turtle" with some youngster who has his own "innocent side fighting his own evil side self". I lost interest pretty quickly because it gotten too emo. x'D

LOVE that. The emo shizz can get annoying. Granted I do have one character who has an arc where she's going batshit insane but I planned that arc when I was a kid and only now have everyone in one place to go through with it. As is I've lost interest because I just don't dig that stuff anymore. I'd rather have her back to her old cherry gobbling bad joke telling self.

Tiny Shapeshifter

xx I met my fate xx

LOVE that. The emo shizz can get annoying. Granted I do have one character who has an arc where she's going batshit insane but I planned that arc when I was a kid and only now have everyone in one place to go through with it. As is I've lost interest because I just don't dig that stuff anymore. I'd rather have her back to her old cherry gobbling bad joke telling self.
I know, right? You simply don't try to make sense out of a senile turtle guardian, especially the one whose magical garden gave him a time-out session itself (and this is for yelling "intruder alert" toward his invited guests, lol). The other guy simply took it as me personally attacking his character for no apparent reason (well, his character seems to behave that way)... ...Hm, did I get the story's time-line all messed up? Oh well, it was amusing either way. rofl

I know what you mean when it comes to character's turning points. I got this OC who'll eventually get bent out of shape forever after losing his best friend/companion, but I prefer if it never did happen since he's just so cute the way he is right now, his naive young man self.

Other than that, I do believe it depends on who you choose for RP partner(s). It's hard to find the right kind since those who are interested either don't have the time, or aren't familiar with certain genres and the like. I mean, I would like to get back to RP'ing myself, but I can't dedicate myself to one simply because of having other priorities to deal with. Half of the time someone else makes an RP, it is either under sci-fi, something pirate-y, or realism (the folks I'm more than okay RPing with at least). I'm no good with those myself, since I have stronger interest in magical themes (sadly, good RPers for those are a penny in a dozen). sweatdrop

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yen Quest
xx I met my fate xx

I know, right? You simply don't try to make sense of a senile turtle guardian, especially when the very magical garden he guards over gave him a time-out session itself. And this is for yelling "intruder alert!" toward his invited guests. The other guy simply took it as me personally attacking his character for no apparent reason (well, his character seems to behave that way)... ...Did I get the time-line all messed up? Oh well, it was amusing either way. rofl

I know what you mean when it comes to character's turning points. I got this OC who'll eventually get bent out of shape forever after losing his best friend/companion, but I prefer it if it never did happen since he's just so cute the way he is right now, his naive young man self.

Other than that, I do believe it depends on who you choose for RP partner(s). It's hard to find the right kind since those who are interested either don't have the time, or aren't familiar with certain genres and the like. I mean, I would like to get back to RP'ing myself, but I can't dedicate myself to one simply because of having other priorities to deal with. Half of the time someone else makes an RP, it is either under sci-fi, something pirate-y, or realism (the folks I'm more than okay RPing with at least). I'm no good with those myself, since I have stronger interest in magical themes (sadly, good RPers for those are a penny in a dozen). sweatdrop

Exactly. I hate that the Rpers are so rare nowadays. I'll RP any genre (aside from fandoms, school stuff, and Yaoi only) but Fantasy is my bread and butter. I used to have a huge complex fantasy RP that I loved but no one really stayed active and I think the world and reading scared people away so we never had many members to begin with.

I don't Rp on other forums because frankly...I forget. XD I check Gaia daily so I can't really forget to Rp here.

Tiny Shapeshifter

xx I met my fate xx
Exactly. I hate that the Rpers are so rare nowadays. I'll RP any genre (aside from fandoms, school stuff, and Yaoi only) but Fantasy is my bread and butter. I used to have a huge complex fantasy RP that I loved but no one really stayed active and I think the world and reading scared people away so we never had many members to begin with.

I don't Rp on other forums because frankly...I forget. XD I check Gaia daily so I can't really forget to Rp here.
I'm pretty sure it also depends on the generation you're in. Some people aren't into grammar and spelling simply because it's all related to school (and the media focuses on how kids don't like schoolz), and t'is the internet and stuff. I think that, if education was more interesting, then it wouldn't be as bad. But who knows, there's probably still some geniuses hiding somewhere within the community. We just never notice it until we encounter one.

RPs elsewhere are something I never really considered trying. Like you, I don't really venture anywhere else besides Gaia, youtube, and... Well, that's about it really. Checking out deviantart for arts, and game fandom forums for quick tutorial guides and stuff... Yeah, that's pretty much it for me. RP isn't really on my mind these days, since I'm more focused on my inventory. Gaia's to blame on this one though, haha (and me spending habits). sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff