Welcome to Gaia! ::

Intergalactic Recruit

To me, annoying people and/or assholes are like real life; the problem doesn't go away by pushing an ignore button and there will always be more of them out there you'll encounter again.

A lot of things in the world piss me off and the only way to truly ignore them all is to stay in my house like a hermit and never talk to anyone, or go live in a cave in the woods.

I personally find it better to realize most of the world/people suck and to grow a thicker skin towards it instead of running away or getting offended at things. You really will be much happier for it.

The only reason I'd ignore someone is if I had gotten in a fight with them and was tired of seeing their bullshit replies to me or if they were harassing me on a constant basis.

I have considered ignoring a few people just because I was sick of looking at their existence, though.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
jettisoned corpse
To me, annoying people and/or assholes are like real life; the problem doesn't go away by pushing an ignore button and there will always be more of them out there you'll encounter again.

A lot of things in the world piss me off and the only way to truly ignore them all is to stay in my house like a hermit and never talk to anyone, or go live in a cave in the woods.

I personally find it better to realize most of the world/people suck and to grow a thicker skin towards it instead of running away or getting offended at things. You really will be much happier for it.

The only reason I'd ignore someone is if I had gotten in a fight with them and was tired of seeing their bullshit replies to me or if they were harassing me on a constant basis.

I have considered ignoring a few people just because I was sick of looking at their existence, though.

That's great advice and all, but just thinking "I will stop letting this bother me!" doesn't make it actually stop bothering you.

If I could magically be happy and confident just by wanting to be life would be way easier is all I'm saying

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
OddBird
Lemonade-Skittles

Anyways, yes. Please, somebody, anybody, explain what the ignore system is good for other than blocking gore trolls from sight after you've reported a thread. D: I'm dying to understand it better.

have you ever been in an argument with someone
who is arguing a lost point
but they insist on sticking to their guns out of pure stubbornness and refusal to be wrong
and then not only do they have to have the last word, but they insist on continuing the argument until you tell them they are right
and then if you do this out of exasperation and maybe just a wee bit of sarcasm they post threads about it and quote you into them
and post in your topics trying to catch some spot where maybe they can go "Aha! That's not right!"

me either but
i would ignore list them

I've never had to deal with a situation like that, no. Usually, when I realize the argument is futile, I just back off and stop myself, because I realize that one of us is gonna have to stop being stubborn about this issue and it might as well be me. But no, I've never had anybody try to persist after I've already backed off. I don't have to tell them they're right, but a final post going "this is getting us nowhere, we're not going to agree, so I'm going to stop now," is enough to make them stop being stubborn, too.

Tricky Cat

Lazarus Larkin
KateMonster x3
Aw man, I thought this thread was going to be point out my long standing confusion over the ignore system. I wish it was set up that if I ignore them, I can't see them and they can't see me. Instead in order for that to happen they have to ignore you also. I had one case where someone was stealing coding etc from me, and me adding them to my ignored list only made me not see them do it :I

But on topic,

I do use mine . I've had some crazy experiences even though I'm not the most confrontational person out there, but never really for just anything someone says that doesn't concern me, even if I don't agree with it. I just kind of move on. It's a very small ignore list.

That actually IS the way the ignore list works now. That's why I occasionally have a notice at the bottom of the GCD now saying that there are blocked topics on the page... I can't even see the topics made by people who have ignored me.

Unless it shows up in the "recently posted" things.
Sometimes I see threads show up there.

Plus, you can always log out to read a thread.

Some fixes that should be applied:
Ignoring IPs (You dont know the IP, but have the option)
An option when making threads/posts thats along the lines of "Only allowed logged in accounts to read"
and when someone is ignored/ignoring you, their topics dont show up in the recent posty thing

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

I basically never ever use the ignore feature.
Sure, people can annoy me.
Some people's attitudes I do not like, however,
unless they have directly harassed me, I do not see it a fit reason to use the
ignore feature, simply because I do not like their personality/signature or whatever small reason.

It's kind of like, I would be upset if someone irl ignored me simply because they did not like my pink hair.
It sounds really ridiculous reason to automatically dislike someone.
And really, that's what I go by.
If I wouldn't do it irl, and ignore someone for a small reason, I won't do it on here.

Intergalactic Recruit

Lazarus Larkin
jettisoned corpse

That's great advice and all, but just thinking "I will stop letting this bother me!" doesn't make it actually stop bothering you.

If I could magically be happy and confident just by wanting to be life would be way easier is all I'm saying

You're right, it takes a lot of will power. However, you can choose to be offended. It stops bothering you if you just don't care and realize none of this s**t matters.

If you wanna be happy and confident, make yourself happy and confident, nobody else is gonna do it for you.

Where I was coming from with my feelings on it, is that I get really angry at bigotry. Unfortunately, it is everywhere, especially if you are a minority group trying to enjoy something, only to be put down constantly and even harassed by the majority group who think you don't belong based on gender, race, age, etc..

You can't simply just ignore it, and fighting it all the time is extremely tiring and just makes your life miserable.

Sometimes you just have no choice but to learn to deal with things and move on. Realize it just doesn't matter in your life.

For me, learning to accept and tolerate bigotry is far more serious and requires a lot more willpower than caring about some random stranger on Gaia pissing me off enough to consider putting them on my ignore list. They couldn't possible annoy me enough in comparison to what I've experienced over the years. It's like getting upset that an ant bit your arm when for the past decade you've been dealing with killer beehive attacks.

Edit: I also wanted to include that in the real world, there is no Ignore button. Maybe in school and on websites we have someone or some way of hiding ourselves from the real world when something bothers or upsets us, but out there, with so many people in the world doing all sorts of things you might not agree with, it just comes off very immature and childish to run to an ignore button. Like people can't deal with life issues so they'd rather just hide from it and pretend they don't exist.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
And some people just plain don't have that willpower.

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Lazarus Larkin
jettisoned corpse

Actually, it kind of is that simple. At least for me. 'This isn't worth the energy it takes to be annoyed by it.' and I stop thinking about or focusing on it. I suppose it doesn't work when there's a baby crying in the seat behind you in an airplane, but in general, if a behavior that somebody is exhibiting is annoying to you, you can either try to get that person to change that behavior or you can just realize that you have to deal with it and let it go.

I'm a pretty calm person, though, and it takes quite a lot to push my buttons. At all. Like, even the crying child on the airplane, I would just feel bad for the parents and know that it's more stressful to them than it is to me, probably.

Intergalactic Recruit

Lazarus Larkin
And some people just plain don't have that willpower.

Obviously, and their life and way of thinking will suffer because of it.

In the real world, there is no Ignore button. Maybe in school and on websites we have someone or some way of hiding ourselves from the real world when something bothers or upsets us, but out there, with so many people in the world doing all sorts of things you might not agree with, it just comes off as very insecure, immature, and childish to run to an ignore button. Like people can't deal with life issues so they'd rather just hide from it and pretend they don't exist.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Yeah, doesn't work for me at all. If I feel like I shouldn't be upset about something and it continues to upset me, then I just add feeling really stupid for continuing to be upset to my list of terrible feelings.

Intergalactic Recruit

Lazarus Larkin
Yeah, doesn't work for me at all. If I feel like I shouldn't be upset about something and it continues to upset me, then I just add feeling really stupid for continuing to be upset to my list of terrible feelings.

I'm not going to pretend to know you, but what I will say is that sometimes people just need life experience to grow a thicker skin or even to just have something very important in your life to be happy about so you realize other things don't matter.

For me, I have an amazingly wonderful soul mate and many hobbies and things that mean a lot to me in my life. When anything gets me down, or I get mad at myself for letting something bother me, I take a step back and realize, all the good I have in my life that does matter and the stuff that upsets me, doesn't matter at all.

Life is so short and so precious to waste on things that don't matter, and anything that causes you to be upset, certainly doesn't matter.

Angelic Nitemare

I use it to prevent spammers and hate posters in my quest thread. Had to recently just to make the thread visitable until a mod can take care of it.

Lionheart

Ignore system means I don't ever have to see rude/vulgar exchangers and bigots ever again. And that's definitely a plus.
I mean, I really don't want to see "l0l niqqer gtf0!!!! rolleyes " over and over again.
It also blocks creepos from ever talking to me. once, someone tried to trace me using my IP address. He wasn't all that close, but he wouldn't quit it. Otherwise, on a grander scale, I guess parents could block and monitor creepos on their kids' playsite?

In a relationship with Sappho herself

Shoujo Scout

25,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Friendly 100
I've started to have to use the ignore feature because some (only a few, but enough to piss me off) put shock pictures in their signatures. They may find having a mash-up picture of Jeff the Killer/Smile Dog in their signature hilarious. I find it terrifying and another reason for me to have to go find mind bleach.

so, um, yeah.
/shrug

Intergalactic Recruit

Disarming North Korea
I've started to have to use the ignore feature because some (only a few, but enough to piss me off) put shock pictures in their signatures. They may find having a mash-up picture of Jeff the Killer/Smile Dog in their signature hilarious. I find it terrifying and another reason for me to have to go find mind bleach.

so, um, yeah.
/shrug

I haven't done it myself, but from what other users have made mention in the past, you can Adblock people's signatures if they are a bother to you, if you don't necessarily want to ignore a user just because of an obnoxious signature.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff