Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
Existential Existence
Most people think of their gaia avatars as their gaia characters. so when they pair an NPC with "them"/their avatar, they're really just pairing it with their avatar character not them IRL per se. You know what i mean?

that's why it's so common place on gaia to see people pair "themselves"/their avatars with NPCs - because people like pairing their gaia characters with others. just as much as they like giving their gaia characters back story, special art, personalities, etc.

Yes, this exactly! ^^

It's not crushes at all, but NPCs I heart the most are Ian & Rufus, Pete, Peath and Diedrich. I don't actually have any fanart of my avi with any of them but I wouldn't mind some, just because I think they're cute/interesting characters. When/if I ever get around to writing a little story/back history to noirist, I'd like to include those NPCS - kind of like pretending my avi (character) knows or is friends with those characters. I dunno, I suppose it's just like roleplaying. ^^

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
n o i r i s t
Existential Existence
Most people think of their gaia avatars as their gaia characters. so when they pair an NPC with "them"/their avatar, they're really just pairing it with their avatar character not them IRL per se. You know what i mean?

that's why it's so common place on gaia to see people pair "themselves"/their avatars with NPCs - because people like pairing their gaia characters with others. just as much as they like giving their gaia characters back story, special art, personalities, etc.

Yes, this exactly! ^^

It's not crushes at all, but NPCs I heart the most are Ian & Rufus, Pete, Peath and Diedrich. I don't actually have any fanart of my avi with any of them but I wouldn't mind some, just because I think they're cute/interesting characters. When/if I ever get around to writing a little story/back history to noirist, I'd like to include those NPCS - kind of like pretending my avi (character) knows or is friends with those characters. I dunno, I suppose it's just like roleplaying. ^^

yeah that's the thing about gaia - gaia pretty much makes everyone roleplay along with living in a "gaiaverse" because they base a lot of their events and our actions on Gaia's storyline.

e.g. identifying as a "barton," an "aekean" a "gambina...n"? or as someone from durem.

roleplaying is a big part of gaia, and so is pretending that our avatars are our characters in that universe.

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
Existential Existence
n o i r i s t
Existential Existence

Yes, this exactly! ^^

yeah that's the thing about gaia - gaia pretty much makes everyone roleplay along with living in a "gaiaverse" because they base a lot of their events and our actions on Gaia's storyline.

e.g. identifying as a "barton," an "aekean" a "gambina...n"? or as someone from durem.

roleplaying is a big part of gaia, and so is pretending that our avatars are our characters in that universe.

This is true. I had planned a little story where my avi was hard up and working on Dref Dur doing some shady business but like all my stories never got past the initial idea stage. ^^

I don't see anything wrong with NPC crushes. To me. they are just the same as celebrity crushes. I was a werid kid who never had any but I'm okay with people who do, well, unless that is they're like super creepy about it.

Benevolent Codger

Luboticus
I'll earn some haters here, but I find the entire thing (in both celebrity worship and fiction/characters) extremely juvenile. I've just seen enough people actually fighting over characters and had to deal with that many obsessives that the entire practice, along with shipping, is a gigantic turn-off for me.

It's worth noting, of course, that fighting and obsessing over real people - whether you know them personally or not - isn't really any less juvenile. The juvenile part is the fighting and obsessing, which happens plenty in genuine, real-life relationships; it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the involvement of fictional characters... sweatdrop

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Ever think people are doing it just to have a little fun? Not everything needs to be academically defended.

Professional Novice

Actually, I wonder why more people don't engage in such things. I mean it's so easy to project your ideal personality onto a fictional character. It seems like the most natural thing in the world.

Granted, people can take it too far. It wouldn't be very healthy to forsake reality for a fantasy. But, I don't think creating self-insertion art is that extreme.
The furthest that I would go is just drawing my favourite NPCs (or getting the SDplus dolls of the NPC) for fun. I would crush them, but not really, if you know what I mean.

I would rather pair up my avatars with other avatars that I created. I've always shipped this avatar with another avatar, specifically.

Fashionable Noob

11,625 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
MistressMinako
Ever think people are doing it just to have a little fun? Not everything needs to be academically defended.

If that's what you do for fun, by all means continue to do whatever floats your happy boat. I didn't make this thread to attack people who do this, so there's really no need to go on the defensive. I just thought it worth talking about, so I made a thread.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Eh, anyone who gets overly obsessed with anything is annoying. That goes for any fandom, any sport, any hobby, anything.

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Nemariel
MistressMinako

If that's what you do for fun, by all means continue to do whatever floats your happy boat. I didn't make this thread to attack people who do this, so there's really no need to go on the defensive. I just thought it worth talking about, so I made a thread.

What I'm saying is I think you're overthinking something that people really don't take all that seriously. Also: my avatar. Very far from being defensive.

Dapper Genius

7,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
Red Kutai
Luboticus
I'll earn some haters here, but I find the entire thing (in both celebrity worship and fiction/characters) extremely juvenile. I've just seen enough people actually fighting over characters and had to deal with that many obsessives that the entire practice, along with shipping, is a gigantic turn-off for me.

It's worth noting, of course, that fighting and obsessing over real people - whether you know them personally or not - isn't really any less juvenile. The juvenile part is the fighting and obsessing, which happens plenty in genuine, real-life relationships; it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the involvement of fictional characters... sweatdrop

Yes. It is absolutely just as juvenile in real life.
I get just as annoyed when people obsess over their boyfriends/girlfriends in the same way. Added to the fact that it's generally a very unhealthy practice and/or relationship when that's happening.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i like to draw my avatar kissing/hugging/bothering louie during events because of course if my gaia character met his 'celebrity crush' he would do this. sad i imagine pug is some silly obsessive fan and i like to draw him that way. i'm not being serious, it's just for fun. my avatar is a separate 'character' from the real me. i wouldn't draw myself (as in what i actually look like in real life) with a gaia NPC. that would just be weird.

it's kind of like people making 'fan characters' for anime/tv shows/movies/etc. except gaia gives us permission to create our own characters. i think it's okay as long as you're not going to get all "this character belongs to me, he/she is dating my character" about it.

on the subject of people wanting to be drawn together with their real-life celebrity crushes, i've been doing art on here since 2004 and i've had a few people ask me to do that kind of artwork for them. it exists.
Luboticus
I've just seen enough people actually fighting over characters

This reminds me of one of my first bad experiences on Gaia. ;_; I joined in 04, and I was 13, almost 14, and I was in this hangout thread I'd been frequenting for only a few days, which a friend showed me because I was new~
I put a picture of some anime guy in my signature, from a series I liked a lot, just because I liked the series and wanted s**t in my signature. Minutes later got bitched out in the hangout because I had someone else's 'bishi' in my signature.
You'd have thought I stole her ******** boyfriend.
gonk

Fashionable Noob

11,625 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eden Lenoirre
Luboticus
I've just seen enough people actually fighting over characters

This reminds me of one of my first bad experiences on Gaia. ;_; I joined in 04, and I was 13, almost 14, and I was in this hangout thread I'd been frequenting for only a few days, which a friend showed me because I was new~
I put a picture of some anime guy in my signature, from a series I liked a lot, just because I liked the series and wanted s**t in my signature. Minutes later got bitched out in the hangout because I had someone else's 'bishi' in my signature.
You'd have thought I stole her ******** boyfriend.
gonk

Bishi. I haven't heard that word in so long. gonk And what's worse is that I know I used to use it all the time. That's pretty extreme though. People are wacky.

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
If you like a character you like them, if you don't, you won't understand. Some people take this site too seriously but most of the time it's all just for fun. It's like watching a movie and having a favorite character, you wear t-shirts and buy posters and whatever kids these days do. Not really a big deal and not really that hard to understand. Sure some morons take it a little too seriously but whatever, that's their fantasy, it doesn't bug me any.

I think Emo Flarn is a sexy beast and I'd love to be wrapped up in his pale noodle-arms for a good time but that doesn't make me weird does it? Well that doesn't count because I'm weird as hell already but you see my point.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff