Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluff Lover

14,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
I just had a thought that I hope you guys can discuss and debate. After the current CEO came in and threw around his Dopamine lab rats comparison to the Gaia users, many people here still continue to support GC and buy cash items, whether directly out of LV or through the MP. And that leads me to assume that the people that do are all fine and well with that comparison, to be supporting what the CEO thinks of them, in that way. personally, I don't have anything against cash shop items. I think I own more of them than I do gold shop and event items, in fact. But since the new CEO came in with all that dopamine garbage, I haven't spent a cent on GC or bought anything out of LV directly or indirectly.

I'm fully aware that in the case of an individual, it's their money, they can do whatever they like with it, but what are your thoughts on the the people who seem to support the CEO in his labrat theory and continue to buy from the CS or CS items off the MP, anyway? It just saddens me a little to imagine the CEO sitting in his office, rubbing his hands together, going "see? I was right about them!" when I think about the people buying GC and LV items during his tyrannical reign. I, personally, am withholding my money until Gaia gets a new CEO who can turn the site around and return the community; shops, features, and everything else to a fraction of their original usefulness and glory.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Directly or indirectly... ...really now? I mean, your only choice/option here, is to not spend/participate in this site's biggest main features at all, but you will have to admit that going about it this way is also directly/indirectly killing Gaia.

Demonic Lover

Well, it's one of those "that really sucks but what can I do about it?" situations for most x 3x; I hate stuff like how Facebook games are insanely popular and profitable, it turned around the gaming industry into something horrible DX; I saw an image recently and it made me feel so icky, it was about how Pokemon would be if it was a Facebook game, stuff like "you already battled this trainer today!, try tomorrow or right now with a special Pokepass", or like "you need 3 more friends to access this part of the forest, xsend invitations, xhire helpers". Stuff like that x_x; some might think "what does that have to do with this?, with Gaia?", well, those shady/obnoxious tactics spread throughout the net, Gaia itself uses many of those and I just wish it didn't work, but it does D: and I can't do anything about that, because I can't tell people it's not worth it to do this or that, they themselves give everything a certain worth and if they deem it worth their money, who am I to tell them otherwise?

Edit: I'll copy&paste what I said later in the thread, just for further clarification: "I meant that the stuff the CEO/COO (whoever) is doing isn't just happening on Gaia, I feel it's part of this new era of microtransactions and squeezing the last penny out of people while treating them more like cattle than as costumers/people, I just wanted to say that I personally don't know how to react to all that XD I mean I can choose not to participate but I love Gaia D: and it's just so, sad XD I just feel helpless."

Sorry if my posts are confusing DX; I'd like to say my English is "good" but I sometimes have trouble pouring my thoughts in the language XD;;;

Magical Bunny

The average Gaia user would not know about the comparison. I didn't know about it until just now because I took a lengthy hiatus before returning earlier this year. Can someone support a theory they've never heard about?

Fluff Lover

14,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Yen Quest
Directly or indirectly... ...really now? I mean, your only choice/option here, is to not spend/participate in this site's biggest main features at all, but you will have to admit that going about it this way is directly/indirectly killing Gaia.
I think the CEO's doing that job all on his own. I don't want to support anything he'd doing, and like you said- it's my choice to do so. As harsh as this sounds, I would much rather see Gaia die than continue to be run how it's been over the past year. It's already dying, in fact. The community, and everything else that isn't the cash shop on this site is all going or being left to ruin. That's not something I want to see for the site that I used to love in its prime, under the proper management.

Perfect Saint

I don't think oversimplifying things like that to prove a point is really fair to everyone. Some people do like what Gaia has to offer despite the climate it has been having for the last couple of years and are willing to pay real money for it. Generalizing and comparing their behavior to something the COO(not CEO) made mention before, well, that definitely sucks and insulting. Some don't even factor the happiness and involvement of the upper staff into their own happiness and involvement with the site. I eat the burgers of McDonald's, for instance. I don't even know the name and face of that company's CEO. My involvement is merely on the level of the food I buy and maybe perhaps the staff and franchise, but nothing more vertically.

Tiny Shapeshifter

mana of the glass moon
I think the CEO's doing that job all on his own. I don't want to support anything he'd doing, and like you said- it's my choice to do so. As harsh as this sounds, I would much rather see Gaia die than continue to be run how it's been over the past year. It's already dying, in fact. The community, and everything else that isn't the cash shop on this site is all going or being left to ruin. That's not something I want to see for the site that I used to love in its prime, under the proper management.
If you want Gaia to die, then leave. If you do, why, thank you for breaking the community down further than it needs to.

Fluff Lover

14,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Yen Quest
mana of the glass moon
If you want Gaia to die, then leave. If you do, why, thank you for breaking the community down further than it needs to.
I highly doubt that my leaving, if I were willing to, would further break the community. It's the higher managements' agctions that are doing that. No one rill be rioting or upset, I'm quite sure, if I choose to leave. But with every action the higher ups do is what gets to people and breaks down the community.

I don't want gaia to die, that should've been obvious from my last post. What I do want is it not to continue under the current CEO's "care", because he is killing it, whether you see it or not. Many shops aren't updates, nor are most features. The only thing he chooses to focus on is the cash shop, and ignoring users that try to help the site. But, if the current CEO is continuing to choke the life out of something I dearly love(d), and there's no hope for a positive turnaround, then yes, I would gladly choose that mercy killing, rather than continue letting and seeing someone destroy what I and everyone love(d), and only bring further stress and pain.

Tiny Shapeshifter

mana of the glass moon
I highly doubt that my leaving, if I were willing to, would further break the community. It's the higher managements' agctions that are doing that. No one rill be rioting or upset, I'm quite sure, if I choose to leave. But with every action the higher ups do is what gets to people and breaks down the community.

I don't want gaia to die, that should've been obvious from my last post. What I do want is it not to continue under the current CEO's "care", because he is killing it, whether you see it or not. Many shops aren't updates, nor are most features. The only thing he chooses to focus on is the cash shop, and ignoring users that try to help the site. But, if the current CEO is continuing to choke the life out of something I dearly love(d), and there's no hope for a positive turnaround, then yes, I would gladly choose that mercy killing, rather than continue letting and seeing someone destroy what I and everyone love(d), and only bring further stress and pain.
A person leaving will create a chain reaction. The more people leave, the greater the impact. Those who stay, even if it's just a skeleton, will not be enough to feed Gaia in the end. Be nice to see that happen if people actually eat their words, because that's the most effective way to kill it.
What a peculiar tactic you have for tying to keep the site together by alienating a large part of the community by calling them lab rats. You are now at the same level as that guy you mentioned. sweatdrop

Widow

Stone-cold Phantom

27,425 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Frozen Solid 200
I buy GC. I do not see myself as anything other than someone who wants to support this site and enjoy all that it has to offer. If people did not spend cash, Gaia would not be here. It costs real money to keep a site up and running. Gaia has evolved over the years. It is time their users do. There are still things to do on here that do not cost real money. All this negativity is ruining a good thing.

Destructive Aggressor

9,200 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Partygoer 500
My sig says it all.

Ignorance is bliss. They choose to not see what this truly is about now.

Oh, this thread will probably get shoved to CB soon, the higher ups don't like it when people insult their new demented leader.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Tessa Illyanovich
What a peculiar tactic you have for tying to keep the site together by alienating a large part of the community by calling them lab rats. You are now at the same level as that guy you mentioned. sweatdrop
Not the same level, but... ...I wouldn't call whatever section OP's in is a good one either. It's like, well, I guess if there's a nice comparison to be made, you could say that the media placed on McD (or any fast food chains) is pretty dead on. One can say anything horrendous about the McDs in the US, or praise the lords you can find in the Eastern side of the world, but at the end of it all, they're all made up of same group of people.

Widow

Stone-cold Phantom

27,425 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Frozen Solid 200
Project Whatever
My sig says it all.

Ignorance is bliss. They choose to not see what this truly is about now.

Oh, this thread will probably get shoved to CB soon, the higher ups don't like it when people insult their new demented leader.

Well if it wasn't for us so called "fools" in your eyes, there would be no Gaia. How are salaries, servers, rent, taxes, etc. suppose to be paid without money? Gaia does not have a mommy and daddy to support it while it lives in the basement of it's parents home. Time to look at the big picture and realize this is a business.

Fluff Lover

14,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Junior Trader 100
SuccuViv
Well, it's one of those "that really sucks but what can I do about it?" situations for most x 3x; I hate stuff like how Facebook games are insanely popular and profitable, it turned around the gaming industry into something horrible DX; I saw an image recently and it made me feel so icky, it was about how Pokemon would be if it was a Facebook game, stuff like "you already battled this trainer today!, try tomorrow or right now with a special Pokepass", or like "you need 3 more friends to access this part of the forest, xsend invitations, xhire helpers". Stuff like that x_x; some might think "what does that have to do with this?, with Gaia?", well, those shady/obnoxious tactics spread throughout the net, Gaia itself uses many of those and I just wish it didn't work, but it does D: and I can't do anything about that, because I can't tell people it's not worth it to do this or that, they themselves give everything a certain work and if they deem it worth their money, who am I to tell them otherwise?
I don't believe that you're getting what I meant. I don't hate the fact that Gaia is - ow was, rather, popular and profitable. far from it. It's just the tactics this CEO in particular uses; how he seems to think of the people he's squeezing money out of, and how others choose to see him and support and justify his view on them. I wasn't, as I said in the OP, trying to tell people what to do with their money. I was just trying to get some opinions from people about the people who seemed to be playing into the CEO's hands about that comparison of his.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff