Welcome to Gaia! ::

Valiant Jackling

sterek
You seem to forget that Gaia isn't just a CEO making business decisions. Gaia is the combination of a company (with several employees in a bunch of different departments) and a userbase. Giving Gaia money on an individual level is not necessary, but I don't see what's "foolish" or wrong about people who can afford to support the site doing so. I have tons of respect for the developers, programmers and artists who work for and with Gaia Interactive. I also care about the community we have here and I want it to stay alive. So I have absolutely zero guilt purchasing GC, because that money is going towards people and towards features. If the site didn't deliver, I'd be reticent to spend money on it--but right now, at the end of a year-long transitional period when we're actually starting to see some positive changes on a site-wide scale, I'm happy to buy GC. I'll continue supporting the site for as long as I can afford doing so or until it stops being enjoyable for me--and the latter hasn't happened in 11 years.

Amen to that.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Cresceres
Plus a bunch of Gaia Interactive's failed endeavors in Facebook games, which they made Gaia Online team members work on to the detriment of the site: Rumble Kitten, Heralds of Chaos, and that fake Pokemon one I can't remember the name of at the top of my head.
Moga. xd

But really, I've said it now, and I'll say it again when it comes to Gaia's choices. Gaia is stretching themselves too thin, they're not a gaming community, and they're not focusing on what they do have enough. Had they maintained and updated their Journals/Profiles/Guilds/etc, streamline their virtual flash spaces (Towns 2, Homes, zOMG's maps is a step in the right direction), frequently and consistently, we wouldn't be in this situation.

What Gaia need is a developer. Well, not just one, but a ton of them. Once they polish up all outdated features on this site, it will only then, can they see a consisten return/income for their hard work. The avatar system can only help them go so far, after all (those poor poor artists, lol).

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
sterek
You seem to forget that Gaia isn't just a CEO making business decisions. Gaia is the combination of a company (with several employees in a bunch of different departments) and a userbase. Giving Gaia money on an individual level is not necessary, but I don't see what's "foolish" or wrong about people who can afford to support the site doing so. I have tons of respect for the developers, programmers and artists who work for and with Gaia Interactive. I also care about the community we have here and I want it to stay alive. So I have absolutely zero guilt purchasing GC, because that money is going towards people and towards features. If the site didn't deliver, I'd be reticent to spend money on it--but right now, at the end of a year-long transitional period when we're actually starting to see some positive changes on a site-wide scale, I'm happy to buy GC. I'll continue supporting the site for as long as I can afford doing so or until it stops being enjoyable for me--and the latter hasn't happened in 11 years.

how many times do I have to explain this to you guys

CEOs are fatcat villains like on scooby doo. they sit in their offices and stroke their goatees and plan the downfall of their companies for PROFIT because only failing companies are profitable and capitalism is the devil (except when it benefits ME) and he dresses up like a ghost to scare the artists away from working on the inventory arranger

it's true I read it on linkedin talk2hand

King Noob

- - -
Because gaia doesn't need money to run or anything.

This is a real simple matter for me.
If I want to see a movie - I pay and go to the theater.
If I want some badass pizza - I pay and have it delivered.
If I want that new 3DS game - I pay and take it home.
If I want some shiny pixels - I pay and get them.
Spending money on Gaia is no better OR worse than anything else.

At the end of the day, gaia is just a hobby. Don't take it so goddamn seriously. It is what you make of it. Nothing is stopping you from making this site be what you want it to be. A community.
- - -

Magical Bunny

Yen Quest
Cresceres
Plus a bunch of Gaia Interactive's failed endeavors in Facebook games, which they made Gaia Online team members work on to the detriment of the site: Rumble Kitten, Heralds of Chaos, and that fake Pokemon one I can't remember the name of at the top of my head.
Moga. xd

But really, I've said it now, and I'll say it again when it comes to Gaia's choices. Gaia is stretching themselves too thin, they're not a gaming community, and they're not focusing on what they do have enough. Had they maintained and updated their Journals/Profiles/Guilds/etc, streamline their virtual flash spaces (Towns 2, Homes, zOMG's maps is a step in the right direction), frequently and consistently, we wouldn't be in this situation.

What Gaia need is a developer. Well, not just one, but a ton of them. Once they polish up all outdated features on this site, it will only then, can they see a consisten return/income for their hard work. The avatar system can only help them go so far, after all (those poor poor artists, lol).

I agree with you! Gaia's whole unique shtick is being an avatar website. Remake the freaking inventory arranger already!

And, honestly, the whole gold gen thing? I equate it to mobile games situation, too. Buy coins in Bubble Witch and be able to buy any power-up you want. In this case, it's buy gold and be able to buy any item you want off the market. Only problem is that only works IF there isn't a whole slew of other users also being affected by that choice. It's not the greatest decision and I sure loath gold gens because of that, but that's how users who are growing up see it, I think. They see no qualms in buying $10 worth of coins in Bubble Witch, they see no qualms of buying $10 worth of gold on Gaia.

EDIT: Oops, I lost my train of thought. Basically Gaia is trying too hard to be a mobile app, it is not a mobile app and the actual mobile app we have sucks. It is also not a game developer. It needs to focus on being an avatar website first and foremost. That's what makes it unique and fun for many, many users.

Werewolf

Snow Danger
sterek

CEOs are fatcat villains like on scooby doo. they sit in their offices and stroke their goatees and plan the downfall of their companies for PROFIT because only failing companies are profitable and capitalism is the devil (except when it benefits ME) and he dresses up like a ghost to scare the artists away from working on the inventory arranger

Whoa, really? I thought it was this guy:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Widow

Stone-cold Phantom

27,425 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Frozen Solid 200
Zaade

- - -
Because gaia doesn't need money to run or anything.

This is a real simple matter for me.
If I want to see a movie - I pay and go to the theater.
If I want some badass pizza - I pay and have it delivered.
If I want that new 3DS game - I pay and take it home.
If I want some shiny pixels - I pay and get them.
Spending money on Gaia is no better OR worse than anything else.

At the end of the day, gaia is just a hobby. Don't take it so goddamn seriously. It is what you make of it. Nothing is stopping you from making this site be what you want it to be. A community.
- - -

You said it perfectly!

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
sterek
Snow Danger
sterek

Whoa, really? I thought it was this guy:

more like

obviously all of our cash is paying for larger and larger gems for him to wear in his eye socket mad

Tiny Shapeshifter

Cresceres
I agree with you! Gaia's whole unique shtick is being an avatar website. Remake the freaking inventory arranger already!

And, honestly, the whole gold gen thing? I equate it to mobile games situation, too. Buy coins in Bubble Witch and be able to buy any power-up you want. In this case, it's buy gold and be able to buy any item you want off the market. Only problem is that only works IF there isn't a whole slew of other users also being affected by that choice. It's not the greatest decision and I sure loath gold gens because of that, but that's how users who are growing up see it, I think. They see no qualms in buying $10 worth of coins in Bubble Witch, they see no qualms of buying $10 worth of gold on Gaia.

EDIT: Oops, I lost my train of thought. Basically Gaia is trying too hard to be a mobile app, it is not a mobile app and the actual mobile app we have sucks. It is also not a game developer. It needs to focus on being an avatar website first and foremost. That's what makes it unique and fun for many, many users.

It's not a bad idea for Gaia to be up with the mobile apps though. At this time and age, people are very dependent with their ipads, blackberry, tablets, whatever other hoo-ha technology the world is revolving around. If people can't bring their avatar on the go, then it's no good (unless you use Facebook, but that's a whole 'nother story). The problem here is them trying too hard mimicking whatever works for another company with those games. Like that saying/idea/etc goes, you can try to be the jack of all trades, but you won't be proficient in any set skill. You also "rarely" (if ever) succeed those who made it prosperous to begin with. Gaia is better off by making their websites more streamlined, easier to access, pick up and drop off, etc.

Healing Healer

17,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I don't see how buying GC now is supporting corporate greed/labrat theory when we did the same thing for the last few years

It depends on what you buy, I guess
the whole dopamine thing is in relation to gold generators and RIGs, so if you buy those with your prepaid GC then yes you are supporting labrat gamification (however it is still the individual's choice, don't be rude to them)

But if you buy an EI or an LQI or any type of regular item that doesn't do anything random, then you're fine. We've been expected to buy items straight up for years now, since before the cash shop in the form of MCs. It's not a new business strategy.

Remember that GC is a prepaid currency
your actual dollars could go towards anything when you make that purchase. When you give $20 for 2000 GC, Gaia has no idea what you'll use it for, all they know is that they got $20. They don't know yet if they've suckered you into buying gold or not, so the purchase doesn't immediately go towards their statistics on anything.

tldr so my point is that the act of spending money doesn't mean you've given into anything, since money can go towards so many things on this site. I can understand being mad at people who buy gold gens (but again don't be rude), but don't rib people for simply buying GC because for all you know they could be spending it on bundles or whatever.

Lunatic

mana of the glass moon
Project Whatever
My sig says it all.

Ignorance is bliss. They choose to not see what this truly is about now.

Oh, this thread will probably get shoved to CB soon, the higher ups don't like it when people insult their new demented leader.
I feel inclined to agree with you on that. And it's truly sad that it seems so many people are. But for the record, I don't believe I've yet to insult anyone here, and see no reason for my topic to be moved to the CB when I haven't. I've just been trying to gather opinions about how people see others in the midst of this state of things, but people seem to be of the state of mind that I'm being insulting and trying to destroy Gaia. What?

You are basically insulting a group of people because it doesn't mesh with your ideology. That's ******** up man.

The thing is if I choose to buy GC it's with the proviso that I buy items that I want, and not because COO-shove-gamification-in-my-face is telling me to with his gamification holy grail spiel.

GC alone is not the issue so you and Project Whatever can think what you want with your special snowflake judgmental behavior. The economy went to s**t with the gold generators. If Gaia stopped making them, and people stopped buying them then we'd be far better off economy wise. That would be the first step naturally then we'd have to deal with the CEO, COO and marketing team and their business plans.

You're another person with the social justice warrior mentality. You have that in spades.

Lunatic

Project Whatever
My sig says it all.

Ignorance is bliss. They choose to not see what this truly is about now.

Oh, this thread will probably get shoved to CB soon, the higher ups don't like it when people insult their new demented leader.

Your sig tells me that you reek of really judgmental behaviors because people do something that doesn't mesh with your ideology. I don't know but maybe the best thing would be to urge people to stop buying with the idea of hoarding (since hoarding is basically what the COO wants) and instead buy what they want with the added message of never supporting gold generators again.

Basically buy and use GC the way someone wants but knowing how not to get caught up in the hype.

In other words, much like ******** real life, buy with awareness.

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
This sort of rhetoric from Project Whatever and the OP is why I'm so at odds with the NO GC community. The lab rat theory, and "ignorance is bliss" signature is so damn outright insulting. (You're also damaging the credibility of those in your "community" who do a better job at educating without insulting).

The purchase of GC in itself is not the big evil that you're making it out to be. It's that people have to purchase knowing how to do so in order not get sucked up into the hype, the gimmick, and know what is better to purchase (i.e. item over gold generator). The culprit is the CEO, COO, and the marketing team for knowingly using questionable marketing tactics and its these tactics along with the items they've released that is the issue...

Oddly enough insulting a group of people so indiscriminately certainly doesn't build much of a community does it. Unless they're the "wrong" kind of people and at the point if that is the case I highly suggest taking a step back and see why that's wrong on many different levels.

Danzavare's Queen

Otherworldly Dragon

28,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Worthy Challenger 25
mana of the glass moon

The CEO had a voiced opinion about us?
Where may I see or listen to this? I wanna know, and I wanna judge. And I'm curious.

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Supporting the CEO, yes. I'm sure large portion of his pay check comes from CI sales. His labrat theory, no. Cash shop has been around before his reign, and a stable part of Gaia's revenue and it supports more many other people besides the CEO, from artists to site developers. I think it is justified to withhold some purchases when we wish to show our disapproval of Gaia's actions, but cutting everything off (which is impossible to get everyone to do) would only lead to the site's demise.

It's kind of like take away dessert from children for bad behavior instead of stop feeding them entirely until they change their ways.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff