Welcome to Gaia! ::

"Just one."

Sheppard replied, his left hand beginning to tremble. He looked up at her and tried to force a smile.

Dedicated Lunatic

May I hear? She reached across the counter and took his trembling hand in both of hers.
"It's more of a memory than a nightmare. I don't want to trouble you with such things."

He rested his right hand on her hands and managed a genuine smile.

Dedicated Lunatic

I'm always able to listen, no matter what it is. She smiled softly back, enjoying the warmth on her ice-cold hands.
"Jack, Salem, Ghost, Martinez and I were all pinned down in a ditch. They were the only true friends I have ever had. It was the five of us against what seemed like a million. We were holding them back ok, but then they called in some heavy artillery. I was the leader, they took their orders from me. Salem kept telling me we should move, but I wouldn't listen. I said that we would hold our ground until reinforcements arrived. Then a mortar hit right next to us. I was thrown ninety feet from the ditch. I laid on the ground, not able to hear anything but my own breathing. I looked around and saw my men...my friends...strewn all over the ground in pieces. I couldn't feel my right arm, but the rest of my body hurt. Once I regained my hearing all I could hear was loud ringing. It wouldn't stop. My ears just rang and rang and rang. I finally looked at my right arm and realized why it didn't hurt. It wasn't there."

Sheppard lifted his right hand and balled it into a fist a couple of times.

"I passed out shortly after. When doctors found me, I was too far gone to save. They pumped oxygen in me until they got me to some lab. They managed to rebuild me using prosthetics and nanotechnology. I also recieved several other alterations while I was there. What was left of my bone structure is reinforced, my heart can reach a rate in excess of four hundred beats per minute, and my muscle fibers are about ten times stronger than that of a normal man. I died that day, just like the rest of my squad. I was also the only one important enough to bring back."

Dedicated Lunatic

She gently rubbed the back of the left hand with her right thumb, listening.
"Sometimes I wish they would have just left me there to die."

He laid his right hand back ontop of hers.

Dedicated Lunatic

Would it...help, if you could talk to them, even just for a little while, to say goodbye and know how they feel? She looked down at their hands.
"I already have. It's just that, what exactly did anyone accomplish by bringing me back? What did I have that none of those men did? I am grateful to be alive, don't get me wrong, but I want those answers."

Dedicated Lunatic

I'm afraid I can't help with those answers. She squeezed his hand.
"No one can. But I have you now, and that is all that matters."

He squeezed her hand back, looking at her and smiling playfully.

Dedicated Lunatic

Cliche much? She laughed a bit and pulled away one of her hands to sip her drink.
"Hey a guy has to use a cheesy line every once in a while."

Sheppard reaches over the counter and grabs a bottle. He leans his head back and pours some of the contents down his throat. He quickly sets the bottle down and starts coughing.

"What the hell was that?"

He looks at the label on the bottle as he continues to cough, his eyes watering now.

Dedicated Lunatic

Uhm, a liquid from another dimension? She nervously laughed and gently took the bottle away from him. You're lucky that wasn't poison, dearheart.
"It wasn't? Could have fooled me."

He laughed now, wiping his eyes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas