Welcome to Gaia! ::

Indulgent Consumer

Oppastyle

UGH I NEVER KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE.
"HEK" OR "SEK."
GRANDFATHER AND GRANDMOTHER SAY "HEK."
MOTHER AND FATHER SAY "SEK."
/ETERNALLY CONFUSED

It's just the dialect? It's fine! My family says "sek" though.
Oppastyle
Ah, yes. I feel u bro. I was always the fat kid. orz Always will be, huuur.
The lack of tact family can have, man. So blunt.
But bless your aunt. Food is so good.
Eh, I guess. Don't even know if it's actually there. lol

treint's Oppa

Extreme Master

Boba Connoisseur

I just would really like a Chinese name. I like the idea of the names having a special sort of meaning, and and those TVB dramas that involve the parents asking the grandparents to name the grandchildren always get me because it's just so sweet.
Like the one I saw a few days ago. The grandfather was asked to pick a good name for his grandchild, and they were making jokes since two of his grandkids were named "Big Baby" and "Second Baby." They said they should name him "Third Baby." /still giggles at that
BUT THEN HE SUDDENLY GETS WEAK AND HE STARTS DYING. He beckons his son to him and whispers in his ear that he wants the child to be named "Virtue." /teary eyes
And plus, when I get old, I'm definitely gonna reap all the respect I can get. MWAHAHA NONE OF THE YOUNGER PEOPLE CAN GO AGAINST ME. /cackles
And seriously? lol That's amusing, ahaha.

Orehiroda
Beat Freakz

It's a culture thing to have your first name
Middle name, mother's maiden name, father's last name, grandmother's maiden name (mother's side), grandmother's maiden name (father's side)
My birth certificate just has 3 names tho
Ohh so that's where the various surnames come from. That's super cool. @ A @
Are there any specific terms you use for various aunts/uncles? Like for Chinese, there are specific terms you need to use for uncles and aunts on mom/dad's side.

Tia means aunt, Tio means uncle.
You use Tios when there multiple uncles and even aunts.
You only say Tias where there are only Aunts there.
There's no difference for what side of the family they're from. -u-
Boba Connoisseur

My parents are pretty Americanized, so I ended up "sis" or "girl" or "Jojo" most of the time. Relatives called me "ah men". Like 啊 kind of ah.
That's great. 8D Do you speak Chinese to them? I feel so bad because I always answer in English. orz

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Streaker 200
Oppastyle

UGH I NEVER KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ONE.
"HEK" OR "SEK."
GRANDFATHER AND GRANDMOTHER SAY "HEK."
MOTHER AND FATHER SAY "SEK."
/ETERNALLY CONFUSED

COuld just be a slur. My family like saying "Laam Zai" for boy, but it's supposed to sounds like "Naam Zai". The "L" and "N" is interchangable.

"Hek" comes from this word 吃 while "Sek/Sik" uses 食. Taishan peeps usually uses the way that most Chinese people write, while canto peeps uses an archaic writing system that's outdated and mostly useless unless you're in the area.
Oppastyle

They must ******** hate you. lol

Some are just like "is that necessary?" i'm just like
"Always cool "
It so funny when students pass work back.
They're just like da fuq
Beat Freakz

Tia means aunt, Tio means uncle.
You use Tios when there multiple uncles and even aunts.
You only say Tias where there are only Aunts there.
There's no difference for what side of the family they're from. -u-
Ohhh, kay. o u o b That makes life easier.

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Orehiroda
Boba Connoisseur

My parents are pretty Americanized, so I ended up "sis" or "girl" or "Jojo" most of the time. Relatives called me "ah men". Like 啊 kind of ah.
That's great. 8D Do you speak Chinese to them? I feel so bad because I always answer in English. orz

I know that feel. emo
LANGUAGE IS SO COMPLEX.

Indulgent Consumer

Oppastyle

Well, you can go by what your mom wants to call you--it's all up to you in the end and no one can stop you really. I like them feels, when no one can compete. It's nice being on the top--BUTT HATS NOT ME.

Aha. I'm just average compared to my cousins. Can't really beat Yale, full-ride, and fluency in 5 languages. [********]

Now another niece of mine might rain over the other guy...16 and being offered to come to America from Vietnam for a full ride. BAH.

They got that whole "foreign exchange student" thing working for them. ninja

treint's Oppa

Extreme Master

Orehiroda

But they've stopped that, thankfully. /glee
Though, my little cousin is called "older brother" because he has a little sister and all.
But---
The strange this is, everyone calls him "older brother."
I don't, because I call him by his English name.
But my grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles call him "older brother."
VERY CONFUSING.
Also, my younger cousins don't call me "older sister" like they're suppose to. They tried to tell me it's because our ages are too close BUT BULL s**t BECAUSE I'M OLDER. WE WEREN'T EVEN BORN IN THE SAME YEAR SO BULL s**t AGES ARE TOO CLOSE.
So I get incredibly excited when babies call me "older sister" because one they're cute as ******** and two I really really really really really like this whole respect thing because it's great.
I still call all my older cousins by their English/Chinese name followed by "older brother" or "older sister." However, my little sister is a brat and she just calls them by their English/Chinese name.
And yes, food is glorious. When I was in New York, she bought so much food for me. /sparkles
And it's probably there.
Somewhere.

Indulgent Consumer

Orehiroda
Boba Connoisseur

I speak Chinese to them. Canto. I answer in English sometimes too since they understand and can speak English

High-functioning Pumpkin

21,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
Orehiroda
Ehhh, yeah I've encountered poking fun at Taishanese a lot. I don't understand what you mean by "as if they are reading Chinese", though. @ u @

Generation names are fascinating. I wonder who comes up with the first one.

the names comes from a hat, that magically falls from the heavens.
Orehiroda
Ohhh, kay. o u o b That makes life easier.

The only family things i don't know are like
Great great grandmother, great aunts, great grandsons, step parents/children etc
We don't even call our grandparents "Abuelito/abuelita"
My brother didn't know how to pronounce it when he was little so he called them Tito and Tita
That's what we call them even to this day. We called our great grandparents Tita Tita and Tito Tito
Basically grandma grandma and grandpa grandpa. Lololol
I actually learned the real word last year
It's bisabuelo/bisabuela. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out