Telor II
im all this
Telor II
im all this
Love_and_rockets6
i dont think that all superstitions are obsurd
some people have good points for assuming these things
i agree

I don't want to seem like I'm picking a fight, but why do you agree?

because some have a point think about it like if you open an umbrella indoors you could hit someone with it and if you walk under a ladder it could fall on you and if a black cat walks in front of you it could be a rabid cat

Pardon me but that is weaksauce. I could accidentally fall on my pen and drive it into my brain but I don't have a superstition about pens.
Everyone would be terrified of everything if that was how it worked.

well also its just kinda fun to have a change up in routine by avoiding to do something i mean routine can get so boring
I agree that superstitions are largely based on ignorance. People try to make up explanations for what they don't understand.
Telor II
im all this
Telor II
im all this
Love_and_rockets6
i agree

because some have a point think about it like if you open an umbrella indoors you could hit someone with it and if you walk under a ladder it could fall on you and if a black cat walks in front of you it could be a rabid cat

Pardon me but that is weaksauce. I could accidentally fall on my pen and drive it into my brain but I don't have a superstition about pens.

I think what she means is that some superstitions are more or less common sense but they come from a time when people lacked the common sense that we do today. Things like walking under a ladder are down right stupid to do, so how to get stupid people to not do it? Tell em it's bad luck.
Moonlight_Splendor
I agree that superstitions are largely based on ignorance. People try to make up explanations for what they don't understand.

I agree.

Friendly Citizen

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I am not superstitious and I do not like it when people try to scare others with these superstitions. Its seems to me that some people get a thrill out of trying to get others to buy into the stories.

Distinct Perfectionist

Moonlight_Splendor

Well said. 3nodding

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
And a lot of the time, superstitions can just be (sometimes silly, sometimes unfortunate) coincidences. The supposed curse of Macbeth, anyone?

Lonely Bloodsucker

8,750 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
im all this
Love_and_rockets6
i agree
I agree also. It depends on the person. There are also many factors that could be taken into consideration.

1. Were they raised to believe in superstitions
2. Their personal experiences
3. Their relegion
4. There personal opinions
twistingkage
And a lot of the time, superstitions can just be (sometimes silly, sometimes unfortunate) coincidences. The supposed curse of Macbeth, anyone?

I'd have to say that, Macbeth was no example of superstition. He was an example of a tired, delusional man. He was lead on to believe that what the witches told him would come true, seeing as he became Thane of what.. Cawdor? right away. But I honestly believe in coincidence and that's all his story was. The play itself shows just how gullible people can be in desperate times. It wasn't fate or luck.. it was pure stupidity and hunger for power that drove him to his demise. I also don't believe that he was "cursed," it was the fact that he was a terrible person that he ultimately had terrible karma. And karma knocked him on his rear every chance it got.
xmagpiex
Telor II
im all this
Telor II
im all this
Love_and_rockets6
i agree

I think what she means is that some superstitions are more or less common sense but they come from a time when people lacked the common sense that we do today. Things like walking under a ladder are down right stupid to do, so how to get stupid people to not do it? Tell em it's bad luck.

I understand why you would think that, but there are so many superstitions that seem to come out of nowhere (indeed, most of them) that it doesn't seem likely as an origin. Especially considering that a lot of superstitions are not old at all, since people have their own lucky charms and routines and such things.
Telor II
xmagpiex
Telor II
im all this
Telor II

I understand why you would think that, but there are so many superstitions that seem to come out of nowhere (indeed, most of them) that it doesn't seem likely as an origin. Especially considering that a lot of superstitions are not old at all, since people have their own lucky charms and routines and such things.

That's true. A lot of times that seems more like a mild form of OCD to me actually.

I would say though that most of the common superstitions
actually have origin stories and are really fascinating.
Kibee Doe
twistingkage

I'd have to say that, Macbeth was no example of superstition. He was an example of a tired, delusional man. He was lead on to believe that what the witches told him would come true, seeing as he became Thane of what.. Cawdor? right away. But I honestly believe in coincidence and that's all his story was. The play itself shows just how gullible people can be in desperate times. It wasn't fate or luck.. it was pure stupidity and hunger for power that drove him to his demise. I also don't believe that he was "cursed," it was the fact that he was a terrible person that he ultimately had terrible karma. And karma knocked him on his rear every chance it got.

I think she means the supposed curse on the play itself.
Quote:
There is no other superstition as well known in the theatre world as that of the "curse of Macbeth." It is thought to be extremely bad luck to say the name "Macbeth" anywhere near a theatre. Actors and theatre personnel instead, refer to Shakespeare's Macbeth as "the Scottish play." This superstition goes back to the 1600's. Many felt that the witches incantations Shakespeare wrote, were in fact real and that was what led to many coincidental catastrophes. The play has some major sword fights and battles that could give it more opportunitites for accidents than other plays as well.

Dumbitri's Princess

Magical Girl

19,225 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • OTP 200
You don't have to be a jerk about it. Just because you don't believe in them doesn't mean other people can't. Don't be an ignorant douche. Others can have opinions.
xmagpiex
Telor II
xmagpiex
Telor II
im all this
Telor II

That's true. A lot of times that seems more like a mild form of OCD to me actually.

I would say though that most of the common superstitions
actually have origin stories and are really fascinating.

Perhaps, but I think a reasoning person can mentally talk themselves out of believing nonsense, even if they're predisposed to thinking things like that.

Speaking from experience, I used to think that there may be a such thing as luck and karma and ghosts and all kinds of bullshit. But then I started to read and gain (obviously extremely simplified) understanding of the material universe. The world operates under pretty well-understood principles and there's not much affecting day-to-day life that is a surprise to human knowledge; knowing this helped me realise that I was being ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff