Welcome to Gaia! ::

Katnip Everdeen
Telor II
You were confrontational in your first post and I responded to that.

Anyway, if someone has an opinion that can independently be verified as wrong, are they still entitled to nobody telling them they're wrong?

Dude. You are completely missing my point.

Oh really? How?

I don't think that I am. You said I'm shoving my opinions down other people's throats by voicing my own opinion that they're wrong.
Quote:
It's like an Atheist telling a Christian there is no God.

Why shouldn't I be entitled to do that? I don't think I'm shoving anything anywhere by saying that. Christians think I'm wrong too.

And even if disagreeing with someone is shoving my opinions down their throats, what if I can prove that someone is wrong about something? What if it isn't just my opinion against theirs?
Reaper_Virus
no i don't xp

question

Dumbitri's Princess

Magical Girl

19,225 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • OTP 200
Telor II
I don't think that I am. You said I'm shoving my opinions down other people's throats by voicing my own opinion that they're wrong.
Quote:

Why shouldn't I be entitled to do that? I don't think I'm shoving anything anywhere by saying that. Christians think I'm wrong too.

And even if disagreeing with someone is shoving my opinions down their throats, what if I can prove that someone is wrong about something? What if it isn't just my opinion against theirs?

I'd like to see you prove it. Unless you can prove it, I'll stick by my previous statement.

OK, well, because it's what they believe. If they wanna think there is a god, let them. It's just common courtesy.
Katnip Everdeen
Telor II
Quote:

I'd like to see you prove it. Unless you can prove it, I'll stick by my previous statement.

OK, well, because it's what they believe. If they wanna think there is a god, let them. It's just common courtesy.

Prove what? I didn't give a specific example of something I could verify as wrong.

And I believe that Christians are wrong. Does that mean I can't talk about it with them? Does that mean I can't try and figure out why they believe that or try and convince them that they shouldn't?

I made a thread saying that superstitions are absurd, which is my opinion, and people came in to argue with me. So who's shoving opinions again?
The Real demonater
also i think its electrical energy you can detect ghosts from electrical field detectors and most importantly ghosts are naked to the human eye and very rarely will the ghost respond to you and what they say can only be heard from being recorded so yeah and seeing orbs of light is just too much exposure to mercury or something

Yeah, see, the problem with this is there is no consensus of what a ghost is or how to detect it, and the results are not reproducible in any real way.
Until I see a serious, reputable report of an experiment suggesting ghosts might be a real thing that makes scientists around the world sit up and take notice I'm going to be skeptical.
I agree that superstitions are stupid because they never happen. ghosts are not real because if you just woke up and got out of bed to get a drink of water your body is still asleep sort of and your eyes can play tricks on you when your tired. don't always believe what people tell you like that guy who said the raptor was like march something (i think that was the month) and look it never happened or when it turned to the year 2000 the world was suppose to end but it didn't and now theirs another date like in December i think, well the world is suppose to end because the mien calender ends but it wont because the miens civilization is long gone it ha sent been around for a couple thousand years so they couldn't have a continuous calender like they had before and look their already have calenders for next year. In my opinion don't believe in stupid nonsense just enjoy your life don't worry about stupid made up s**t like that. biggrin

Dumbitri's Princess

Magical Girl

19,225 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • OTP 200
Telor II
Prove what? I didn't give a specific example of something I could verify as wrong.

And I believe that Christians are wrong. Does that mean I can't talk about it with them? Does that mean I can't try and figure out why they believe that or try and convince them that they shouldn't?

I made a thread saying that superstitions are absurd, which is my opinion, and people came in to argue with me. So who's shoving opinions again?

*face palm* It's rude to try to convince people people their opinions are wrong. I have a few very Christian friends and I don't shove the fact I don't believe what they believe, In fact, I go along with it. My best friend knows I don;t believe in God, but we don't try and change each others minds. In fact, we go along with each others practices.

You know what? Screw this. You aren't worth it. You're just some random Gaia user I will never meet and will never have an effect on my life. Have a good life shoving opinions and ignoring what people are saying.
Katnip Everdeen
Telor II

*face palm* It's rude to try to convince people people their opinions are wrong. I have a few very Christian friends and I don't shove the fact I don't believe what they believe, In fact, I go along with it. My best friend knows I don;t believe in God, but we don't try and change each others minds. In fact, we go along with each others practices.

You know what? Screw this. You aren't worth it. You're just some random Gaia user I will never meet and will never have an effect on my life. Have a good life shoving opinions and ignoring what people are saying.

Have a good life going around being a hypocrite. biggrin
CuriousKat8631
Kibee Doe
twistingkage
And a lot of the time, superstitions can just be (sometimes silly, sometimes unfortunate) coincidences. The supposed curse of Macbeth, anyone?

I'd have to say that, Macbeth was no example of superstition. He was an example of a tired, delusional man. He was lead on to believe that what the witches told him would come true, seeing as he became Thane of what.. Cawdor? right away. But I honestly believe in coincidence and that's all his story was. The play itself shows just how gullible people can be in desperate times. It wasn't fate or luck.. it was pure stupidity and hunger for power that drove him to his demise. I also don't believe that he was "cursed," it was the fact that he was a terrible person that he ultimately had terrible karma. And karma knocked him on his rear every chance it got.
karma is superstition

It purely depends on your view of it. My take on karma is what goes around comes around. And just that. I can see how people would think its superstitious but I think its just a matter of what happens, happens. You make one action, it sets others in motion.

7,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kibee Doe
CuriousKat8631
Kibee Doe
twistingkage
And a lot of the time, superstitions can just be (sometimes silly, sometimes unfortunate) coincidences. The supposed curse of Macbeth, anyone?

I'd have to say that, Macbeth was no example of superstition. He was an example of a tired, delusional man. He was lead on to believe that what the witches told him would come true, seeing as he became Thane of what.. Cawdor? right away. But I honestly believe in coincidence and that's all his story was. The play itself shows just how gullible people can be in desperate times. It wasn't fate or luck.. it was pure stupidity and hunger for power that drove him to his demise. I also don't believe that he was "cursed," it was the fact that he was a terrible person that he ultimately had terrible karma. And karma knocked him on his rear every chance it got.
karma is superstition

It purely depends on your view of it. My take on karma is what goes around comes around. And just that. I can see how people would think its superstitious but I think its just a matter of what happens, happens. You make one action, it sets others in motion.
I nevr said i dont believe in it i said its superstitios heart

Friendly Wench

Telor II
Discuss.

NO.

4,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gaian 50
when i wuz younger i always feared friday the 13th and thought that monsters would come and get me sweatdrop but now i think that some superstitions make no sense to me at times

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Telor II
Love_and_rockets6
Telor II
Love_and_rockets6
Telor II
Love_and_rockets6
i dont think that all superstitions are obsurd
some people have good points for assuming these things

Nope, sorry. There are always better explanations and even no explanation is better than something that makes no sense.

so ur saying if someone had the suspition that a ghost was living in there house ud say thats obsurd

Absolutely. If someone thinks there's a ghost in their house they're wrong.

no there not cuz i sleep over at my friends house all the time and a ghost lives in there dining room i saw it early one morning when i went to go get aa glass of water standing on the table

An amusing anecdote but you're wrong. It wasn't a ghost because there are no ghosts.

Plenty of people who claim to "know" about ghosts and be experts would say that you're full of s**t because ghosts can't manifest physically. Others would claim that you have some sort of special gift or some other horseshit.
This lack of consistency is common of superstition. The ground rules can't be agreed upon because there are none.

If there were really ghosts then there would always be ghosts, including when someone attempts to observe them for study. One would be able to find some way to record their activities or discern their nature. One cannot because there are no ghosts.

There are a number of explanations for why you think you saw a ghost, including hallucinogens, psychosis and infrasound. Also you might be making it up, but I'm not going to make that allegation.

You sound closed minded so probably nothing anyone says to you will change that. Still, I'll share a short version of a situation with you. And I'll preface this by saying I'm a SKEPTIC. I'm the sort of person that wants to see the proof and tries to find a logical explanation.

Our family farm has two houses. One of them, an old style white box farm house, appears to be haunted. The house sits far back from the road in a field, a long ways from any other houses or buildings or radio stations or anything like that.
I first heard the voices in this house back in the 70's. At first I thought someone was outside the window talking but there wasn't anyone there.
Over the decades the house was rented out to various tenants. We never told the tenants anything about any alleged ghost because, hey, you come off sounding kind of crazy.
Over the years most tenants would hear
1. Conversations coming from downstairs front bedroom.
2. The sound of someone making dinner in the kitchen.
A few tenants also heard footsteps upstairs and one reported some movement stuff like blinds going up and down.
Not every tenant heard these but most did. One tenant was so freaked she moved out but most tolerated it. What I find interesting is that even though we would not tell them anything about it, when they got around to telling us, over the years the stories from different people who did not know each other were consistent.

Does this prove it to you? No, probably not. But we found it pretty interesting. For damn sure the sounds of conversations and the nightly sound of someone working in the kitchen were not air disturbances or distant thunder or some other crap like that. I tried to think of a 'logical' explanation but at some point Occam's razor comes into play.

In general I do not believe in superstitions themselves but some superstitions have a basis in fact. I can't think of a real example so I make one up to make my point. You should not drink water tainted with sewage or you may get sick form the e-coli. Now, in olden times they might not have known what e-coli was but they may have observed the cause / effect from drinking tainted water. So someone makes up a superstition about evil fairies and stagnant water or some crap like that. So the actual superstition is bogus but the caution it provides (don't drink the bad water) might be legitimate. Many superstitions sprang up from man's attempt to explain something he could not explain. But yeah, a lot of superstitions are just bunk through and through in my opinion.
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Telor II
Discuss.

NO.

That is your right.
David2074
Telor II
Love_and_rockets6
Telor II
Love_and_rockets6

so ur saying if someone had the suspition that a ghost was living in there house ud say thats obsurd

Absolutely. If someone thinks there's a ghost in their house they're wrong.

no there not cuz i sleep over at my friends house all the time and a ghost lives in there dining room i saw it early one morning when i went to go get aa glass of water standing on the table

An amusing anecdote but you're wrong. It wasn't a ghost because there are no ghosts.

Plenty of people who claim to "know" about ghosts and be experts would say that you're full of s**t because ghosts can't manifest physically. Others would claim that you have some sort of special gift or some other horseshit.
This lack of consistency is common of superstition. The ground rules can't be agreed upon because there are none.

If there were really ghosts then there would always be ghosts, including when someone attempts to observe them for study. One would be able to find some way to record their activities or discern their nature. One cannot because there are no ghosts.

There are a number of explanations for why you think you saw a ghost, including hallucinogens, psychosis and infrasound. Also you might be making it up, but I'm not going to make that allegation.

You sound closed minded so probably nothing anyone says to you will change that. Still, I'll share a short version of a situation with you. And I'll preface this by saying I'm a SKEPTIC. I'm the sort of person that wants to see the proof and tries to find a logical explanation.

Our family farm has two houses. One of them, an old style white box farm house, appears to be haunted. The house sits far back from the road in a field, a long ways from any other houses or buildings or radio stations or anything like that.
I first heard the voices in this house back in the 70's. At first I thought someone was outside the window talking but there wasn't anyone there.
Over the decades the house was rented out to various tenants. We never told the tenants anything about any alleged ghost because, hey, you come off sounding kind of crazy.
Over the years most tenants would hear
1. Conversations coming from downstairs front bedroom.
2. The sound of someone making dinner in the kitchen.
A few tenants also heard footsteps upstairs and one reported some movement stuff like blinds going up and down.
Not every tenant heard these but most did. One tenant was so freaked she moved out but most tolerated it. What I find interesting is that even though we would not tell them anything about it, when they got around to telling us, over the years the stories from different people who did not know each other were consistent.

Does this prove it to you? No, probably not. But we found it pretty interesting. For damn sure the sounds of conversations and the nightly sound of someone working in the kitchen were not air disturbances or distant thunder or some other crap like that. I tried to think of a 'logical' explanation but at some point Occam's razor comes into play.

In general I do not believe in superstitions themselves but some superstitions have a basis in fact. I can't think of a real example so I make one up to make my point. You should not drink water tainted with sewage or you may get sick form the e-coli. Now, in olden times they might not have known what e-coli was but they may have observed the cause / effect from drinking tainted water. So someone makes up a superstition about evil fairies and stagnant water or some crap like that. So the actual superstition is bogus but the caution it provides (don't drink the bad water) might be legitimate. Many superstitions sprang up from man's attempt to explain something he could not explain. But yeah, a lot of superstitions are just bunk through and through in my opinion.

http://ghosts.monstrous.com/infrasound.htm
Not saying that's definitely it, just something to consider.

Quote:
[Occam's Razor] is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

I don't think that claiming that humans have an intangible part of them called a soul that sometimes persists after physical death and somehow possesses the ability to affect the world despite being non-corporeal and is unable to be reliably measured, tested or recorded is the simplest explanation making the fewest assumptions.

I imagine that you are absolutely correct about the origins of a lot of superstitions. It's not the fact that people think that breaking mirrors and drinking tainted water is bad that's absurd, it's the fact that they think it's luck that makes it bad that makes it absurd.
Every attempt I've seen to measure luck shows results in line with random chance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff