Other (please post) 0.073333333333333 7.3% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 150 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 91 92 93 > >>

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hello, fellow gardeners! I decided to make a thread here in F&D about growing fruits and vegetables (flowers are also welcome - what table setting is complete without a bouquet?) because the long-running gardening thread got shut down thanks to Gaia's recent policy against necro'ing.

*psst! Why make a thread about gardening while it's still winter?*

Good question. For one thing, it's not winter everywhere, for another, now is the time of year when we northern gardeners are making plans for the upcoming growing season. Many growers started seeds in trays weeks ago to be planted out as soon as the danger of frost has passed. Wish I were one of them, but sadly I do not have the space or equipment to do so at this time. I content myself with looking at seed catalogs and dreaming about the sunny days when I can play in the dirt again.

gaia_spoons Discuss: gaia_spoons

Plants you are now growing or are planning to grow.

Gardening suppliers, sites, and books you like.

Recipes based on your garden's bounty.

The weather and how it affects your gardening (try not to swear too much. wink )

Please feel free to post pics of your gardens, crops, flowers, pets who help you garden (lol), and any bugs or infected plants you are trying to identify or diagnose.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map for the USA

Zone map for Canada

Zone map for Europe

Zone map for Australia

Zone map for New Zealand

Zone maps for the rest of the world

Plant hardiness zone maps are very helpful in determining what types of plants grow best in your area, when to sow seeds indoors or out, and when to transplant seedlings. Your local micro-climate may vary, of course, but these are good guides to start with.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Gardening supplies

Burpee

One of the oldest and largest seed companies in the US, known in particular for developing new varieties of tomatoes. Products available online, through catalogs, and at many stores.

Park Seed

Another good company that has been around for generations. Online and catalog sales only.

Lake Valley Seed

A newer company, been around since 1985 and sells good-quality products at low prices compared to many other companies. Online and in stores.

Tomato Growers Supply Company

A truly amazing selection of tomato varieties, as well as tomatillos, peppers and eggplants. Online and catalog.

Seed Savers Exchange

A non-profit organization devoted to preserving heirloom varieties. Online and catalog sales.

rareseeds

Huge selection of heirloom seeds. Store in Petaluma CA, also online and catalog sales.

Hudson Valley Seed Library

Heirloom seeds, other supplies, and botanical art prints.

High Mowing Seeds
All seeds and plants organically produced.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

Seeds tailored for growing in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.

Ed Hume Seeds

Family owned since 1977, specializing in crops for the Pacific Northwest and other places with short seasons/cool climates.

Mantis

Rototillers, composters, and other gardening implements.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Recipes

NegativityOutlet's Salsa

My recipe for salsa is pretty easy, but I never wrote it down, I kinda just wing it. It's mostly tomato, with some onions (green or large onions work), cilantro, plenty of salt, some pepper, and however much of a jalepeno you want. (My mother's side of the family can't take the heat, so I just leave it out in theirs. My brother and I like it spicy though, so one or two works for every three or four tomatos. You could probably use other peppers too.)

Dream of the Fallen's Pizza and Posole

Pizza

Add 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1/4 oz active dry yeast into a bowl. Mix well. Add 1 cup water* and mix well until the dough can be kneaded by hand (not required, but I find it easier if I don't have dough caked on my hands). Knead to a desired consistency**, then add 2 tbsp cooking oil and knead it into the dough.

Depending on the surface you plan to cook it on, you may or may not need to add some oil or flour. A decent non-stick pan shouldn't require any oil, other pans probably will. A pizza stone should just require a small bit of flour on the underside of the dough, if I remember correctly.

I use non-stick myself, as it doesn't require anything extra and is less likely to result in the pizza being stuck to the surface. I also spread it out by hand, as I lack a rolling pin.

After preparing your dough, add your other pizza ingredients to the top and place it in a preheated oven at 350°F. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked to preference.

*Water needs may vary depending on the flour. If the dough is too sticky, add some flour and knead it in; if it's too dry, add a little water. Keep note of whether or not you need to add or subtract water next time.

**Some people prefer their pizza thick and fluffy, and some prefer it thin and crunchy. Knead less for the former and more for the latter. Personally, I opt for the former. It's also easier to deal with.

Posole

Assuming I remember the recipe correctly:

This recipe can pretty much vary to your preference. In general, your ingredients will consist of hominy, chicken stock/broth, bell peppers, onion, shredded chicken, and any desired hot peppers. This can all be done in a stock pot.

Dice your peppers and onions and toss them into the stock pot with some cooking oil. Saute until onions begin to brown. Add your chicken, broth/stock, and hominy (drained) to the pot and allow to boil.

Vary amounts and boiling time to your preference, maybe add any ingredients you would like. Seriously, that's all there is to it (again, assuming I remember the recipe correctly).

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Web links

GardenWeb
Large online gardening community with numerous topics.

How to preserve heirloom seeds

Cooperative Extension Services

Provides soil testing and gardening advice for your state.
Heyyyyyyyy there Kingscicle~

Still going to be snowy up here for....what feels like ever (couple months) and much like you I dont typically start things indoors ahead of the season. I did get bored with a lack of greenery in my house though and popped a couple peas into a small pot that Im keeping at my desk, I brushed the dirt away (Im so impatient) and they seem to have sprouted so Im hoping they come up alright heh

Do you ever keep garden plants indoors just as house plants? Or have any sort of indoor windowsill garden like some people do?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Heyyyyyyyy there Kingscicle~

Still going to be snowy up here for....what feels like ever (couple months) and much like you I dont typically start things indoors ahead of the season. I did get bored with a lack of greenery in my house though and popped a couple peas into a small pot that Im keeping at my desk, I brushed the dirt away (Im so impatient) and they seem to have sprouted so Im hoping they come up alright heh

Do you ever keep garden plants indoors just as house plants? Or have any sort of indoor windowsill garden like some people do?
Hey! biggrin I brought in a cherry blossom begonia and a mezoo trailing red right before frost. The begonia is doing well despite the lower light levels but the mezoo passed away for reasons unknown. I'm planning to divide the begonia come spring as it had some of the loveliest blooms I've seen, they really did look just like double cherry blossoms. I don't want to talk about the African violets...

Do peas grow best when it's cool outside? I think so. Did not have much luck getting a harvest from the snow peas I tried a few years ago because it got warm. Think I ended up with a half dozen pods. I've read that young pea leaves and tendrils are very tasty.

Did you look into getting the Root Shield online, or do you need a license to use it there?
Ratttking
-snip-

That sounds beautiful *O* did you happen to get any pictures of the flowers? Also, I too share the heartbreak of unsuccessful houseplants.... I miss my miniature roses @___@ (spider mites killed them)

I think they do too, but not really "sure". I had fairly unsuccessful runs with them in the garden so these little guy are just going to turn into an ambient plant for my desk and window area heh Ive read that but never tried eating them, usually stick with the sprouts.

Im fairly certain you need something for it, because I am in canada. But Im also moving back home fairly soon because my schooling is ending so I dont really need to invest too much in getting more stuff for the garden up here.

On a random note I discovered an avocado in my fridge last night that I ate and am now going to sprout the seed in a cleaned out soda bottle woot. Ever done that before?

Friendly Bookworm

I have been debating on growing herbs for I live in an apartment. It'll be something productive to do without taking up too much space. If I move and get an apartment with a balcony, I may have a few other potted plants to put out as well, like tomatoes, peppers, or some garlic. Just basic kitchen staples really.

Obsessive Bibliophile

26,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
I live in the deep south (US) so I am thinking about planting radishes, peas and carrots soon.
I tried all organic raised beds last year. Organic garden soil, fertilizer, plants and seeds, with heirloom organic seeds and plants when possible.
My biggest problem turned out to be wildlife. At first I thought it was the bunnies, but when my tomatoes plants started disappearing from the top down, I realized it was deer. (The hoofprints in my beds were also a pretty good clue.)
This year I've got to figure out a deer blockade.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Duo-chan_in_wonderland
Ratttking
-snip-

That sounds beautiful *O* did you happen to get any pictures of the flowers? Also, I too share the heartbreak of unsuccessful houseplants.... I miss my miniature roses @___@ (spider mites killed them)

I think they do too, but not really "sure". I had fairly unsuccessful runs with them in the garden so these little guy are just going to turn into an ambient plant for my desk and window area heh Ive read that but never tried eating them, usually stick with the sprouts.

Im fairly certain you need something for it, because I am in canada. But Im also moving back home fairly soon because my schooling is ending so I dont really need to invest too much in getting more stuff for the garden up here.

On a random note I discovered an avocado in my fridge last night that I ate and am now going to sprout the seed in a cleaned out soda bottle woot. Ever done that before?
Not of my own plant, which currently has no flowers but is tall and leafy, but here is what they look like.

You can use diatomaceous earth to kill spider mites. It's cheap and completely non-toxic, being composed of the fossilized remains of tiny creatures called diatoms. Sprinkle it well on plants while they are dry.The mites don't eat it, but it scratches their exoskeletons and they die from dehydration. I had a beautiful mini rose with lilac-colored flowers in one of my borders, but my stupid landlord killed it because he can't tell a garden plant from a weed. (I'll probably rant about him more as the thread goes on, as he is the most detrimental pest I have dealt with bar none.)

Yes, you need to pass a course and get a pesticide license there to use it.

Ha, I have grown small avocado plants from seeds from time to time, but it's been a while. Think the biggest one got to about 2' before I went off to school and my mom let it die. To say she had a black thumb would be a gross understatement. Even her artificial flowers soon looked like they were dying. xp

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Laili
I have been debating on growing herbs for I live in an apartment. It'll be something productive to do without taking up too much space. If I move and get an apartment with a balcony, I may have a few other potted plants to put out as well, like tomatoes, peppers, or some garlic. Just basic kitchen staples really.
I'm in an apt too, but fortunately it is a "garden" apt, meaning we have front and back yards. The last apt I was in did not have yards, so I grew a few small plants on the sills, which were very brightly lit. The little Meyer lemon tree I grew from seed was very pretty and the leaves smelled wonderful, but it did not survive the move to this place, which does not get much light.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Kassavdra
I live in the deep south (US) so I am thinking about planting radishes, peas and carrots soon.
I tried all organic raised beds last year. Organic garden soil, fertilizer, plants and seeds, with heirloom organic seeds and plants when possible.
My biggest problem turned out to be wildlife. At first I thought it was the bunnies, but when my tomatoes plants started disappearing from the top down, I realized it was deer. (The hoofprints in my beds were also a pretty good clue.)
This year I've got to figure out a deer blockade.
Better plant radishes soon. I'm in MD and I ought to put some in soon if I want anything but greens, as they bolt (begin flowering) very soon after it turns warm.

That's wonderful! I did all-organic at first, but several years later I broke down and used some Miracle-Gro. What sorts of fertilizer did you use? I used compost and "tea" made from it (mix a handful in water and let it steep until brown) and dried poultry manure. Also, I had several large fish tanks when I first started gardening here and would water the garden with the tank water I was changing out.

I believe a tall fence and/or netting is supposed to be the best, but I looked it up and there are some repellents you can apply that are supposed to work well.
Quote:
A spray of 20 percent whole eggs and 80 percent water is one of the most effective repellents. To prevent the sprayer from clogging, remove the chalaza or white membrane attached to the yolk before mixing the eggs. The egg mixture is weather resistant but must be reapplied in about 30 days.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06520.html

My biggest problems last year were bunnies and slugs (and, of course, the landlord). Finally figured out that I was exacerbating the slug problem by watering at night, derp. It's funny, I planted several lettuce mixes and eventually all the plants were eaten except the Red Oak Leaf variety. Wonder what it is that the critters don't like.

Dedicated Hunter

33,975 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Who's The Boss Now? 300
So far I've planted this year are Spinach, Kale, Parsley and Cilantro. So far the Kale died because it wasn't getting enough water. (A big whoops on my part for not checking the soil.) The good news is that I already had established plants last year and they're still going well. All I need to do is fix the watering trenches in the area that I had the dead Kale in. As far the Spinach goes it seems to be doing well but only time will tell if that survives. Previously when I planted Spinach I did it at the wrong time and it stunted on me and died.

Same thing with the Cilantro but I added wood ash, coffee grinds and mulch so it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the leaves are a nice dark green color and the same can be said for the Parsley. Oh and I did same thing to my dwarf plum tree but I haven't seen much of a difference yet.

Also an added note: please mulch your plants especially if your in a drought. It keeps the moisture in the soil and you won't need to water as often.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Faizett
So far I've planted this year are Spinach, Kale, Parsley and Cilantro. So far the Kale died because it wasn't getting enough water. (A big whoops on my part for not checking the soil.) The good news is that I already had established plants last year and they're still going well. All I need to do is fix the watering trenches in the area that I had the dead Kale in. As far the Spinach goes it seems to be doing well but only time will tell if that survives. Previously when I planted Spinach I did it at the wrong time and it stunted on me and died.

Same thing with the Cilantro but I added wood ash, coffee grinds and mulch so it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the leaves are a nice dark green color and the same can be said for the Parsley. Oh and I did same thing to my dwarf plum tree but I haven't seen much of a difference yet.

Also an added note: please mulch your plants especially if your in a drought. It keeps the moisture in the soil and you won't need to water as often.
I'll add that you should make sure the ground underneath the mulch is thoroughly watered first, and be sure that the mulch is not too thick or that it gets caked together lest it prevent further moisture from reaching the roots. I have to regularly remove/re-adjust mulch when my landlord applies it because all he does is dump on a ridiculous amount.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff