Welcome to Gaia! ::

For the past few days, The Playstation network, along with some other console systems have been suffering from a total or near total blackout and inaccessibility for the MMO community. This kind of technology has always been subject to the whims of cyberattacks, but only recently has the vulnerability been exploited on such a scale with sufficient political and media attention.

20-30 years ago, console systems allowed gamers to enjoy hours of entertainment each day from the privacy of their own homes, often entertaining guests. The technology even back then allowed for 2, sometimes four different players in the same room on the same system. The Arpa net and various Telnet systems existed, and people used to play Multiuser dungeons through the phone lines, but the large focus was on the video graphics of things like superfamicom, Nintendo, Sega, and Atari.

The notion of massive multiusers, in actual practical play is largely a farce. Typically, a massive multiuser roleplaying game breaks up the number of users into servers, and those servers can be subdivided by zones, so on average, you have far less than 200 people to interact with, despite millions of people on the same video game. When Queing for dungeons or other limited event content, it is quite common to have only 4 or 8 people participating. Friendship circles in otherwise massive Guilds, Companies, or Alliances are still typified by a half dozen or less actual people you spend frequent time with, while the vast bulk of remaining people might as well be background noise and scenery.

In other words, while potentially we have games now with millions of users, instead of the 1980s-1990s model of 2-8 people, in reality, people are still spending most of their online content with 2-8 people. We haven't really grown much except for extremely rare events like Raids and similar massive swarm efforts.

I suggest at this point, that content designed to satisfy the customer could gain a great deal by emulating the old 'home console' models of content distribution, where a chip or disk and "save" features are combined to allow people to play their games, either alone, or in a small group with multiple controllers, even if they are in some cabin somewhere with no internet connection.

The fragility of online networks does not speak well for Cloud Content Gaming. The inability to play your game that you pay money for, when you want to, because of some malicious hacker, or update, or change in company policy, or some international politics or censorship, this is not a satisfying experience for what should be an entertainment business.

Rather What I propose is more like games (such as RPGs, sports games, fighter games, etc.) where the bulk of content is local, in your own disks, chips, etc., and you can play offline, but then you can "dock" with those characters, teams, etc. and que into the virtual worlds and events WHEN THEY ARE UP. But you would not be hyperdependent on the online aspect of the experience to continue playing normally. Your game would not become a "dud" because of some server issues. Your console would not be "blue screen" because its waiting for some update or hotfix.

I think it is time we embrace this hybrid console again. Better graphics and large crowds, sure, but that doesn't mean that if the internet connection goes down you now have a worthless pile of plastic and wires. We should stand against this online-only policy, and let Dual Use Home-Online hybrid consoles and more importantly, Hybrid Games be the wave of the future.

I was at a cotsco not too long ago and looking at a flash drive sale, and the amount of data they can store has grown to terabytes. The notion that we can't make a video game cartridge capable of storing 'the whole game" is bullshit. You need to call them on this. And as for piracy?

The bigger the video games, the harder they are to pirate. You go ahead and try downloading a terabyte tonight. Tell me how many minutes it takes. I'm not saying its impossible, but what I am saying is there's good reasons to have giant games on tiny portable cartridge devices, proprietary or otherwise.

At the end of the day, I just want to be able to turn on my console and plug in my game and saved data and have some fun. I think most people want the same thing. This online only crap has got to go. It may be the trend, but its the wrong trend. Let's make a new trend.
Unfortunately, your desire for entertainment is trumped by the right of companies to continue squeezing profits out of you through subscription costs and the like.

Conservative Regular

Because everyone has 4000GB of RAM, 2,574GHZ worth of processing power and military grade SSD to play Eve Online offline.

and to note that's not to hold "the whole game" that's to hold and process the amount of data the players (who are now NPC i guess?) generate

"the whole game" is only about 8 GB

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Texadar
Because everyone has 4000GB of RAM, 2,574GHZ worth of processing power and military grade SSD to play Eve Online offline.

and to note that's not to hold "the whole game" that's to hold and process the amount of data the players (who are now NPC i guess?) generate

"the whole game" is only about 8 GB

Citation required.
Kaltros
Unfortunately, your desire for entertainment is trumped by the right of companies to continue squeezing profits out of you through subscription costs and the like.

If taking away their rights is expedient, it is not inconsistent.
Michael Noire
For the past few days, The Playstation network, along with some other console systems have been suffering from a total or near total blackout and inaccessibility for the MMO community. This kind of technology has always been subject to the whims of cyberattacks, but only recently has the vulnerability been exploited on such a scale with sufficient political and media attention.

20-30 years ago, console systems allowed gamers to enjoy hours of entertainment each day from the privacy of their own homes, often entertaining guests. The technology even back then allowed for 2, sometimes four different players in the same room on the same system. The Arpa net and various Telnet systems existed, and people used to play Multiuser dungeons through the phone lines, but the large focus was on the video graphics of things like superfamicom, Nintendo, Sega, and Atari.

The notion of massive multiusers, in actual practical play is largely a farce. Typically, a massive multiuser roleplaying game breaks up the number of users into servers, and those servers can be subdivided by zones, so on average, you have far less than 200 people to interact with, despite millions of people on the same video game. When Queing for dungeons or other limited event content, it is quite common to have only 4 or 8 people participating. Friendship circles in otherwise massive Guilds, Companies, or Alliances are still typified by a half dozen or less actual people you spend frequent time with, while the vast bulk of remaining people might as well be background noise and scenery.

In other words, while potentially we have games now with millions of users, instead of the 1980s-1990s model of 2-8 people, in reality, people are still spending most of their online content with 2-8 people. We haven't really grown much except for extremely rare events like Raids and similar massive swarm efforts.

I suggest at this point, that content designed to satisfy the customer could gain a great deal by emulating the old 'home console' models of content distribution, where a chip or disk and "save" features are combined to allow people to play their games, either alone, or in a small group with multiple controllers, even if they are in some cabin somewhere with no internet connection.

The fragility of online networks does not speak well for Cloud Content Gaming. The inability to play your game that you pay money for, when you want to, because of some malicious hacker, or update, or change in company policy, or some international politics or censorship, this is not a satisfying experience for what should be an entertainment business.

Rather What I propose is more like games (such as RPGs, sports games, fighter games, etc.) where the bulk of content is local, in your own disks, chips, etc., and you can play offline, but then you can "dock" with those characters, teams, etc. and que into the virtual worlds and events WHEN THEY ARE UP. But you would not be hyperdependent on the online aspect of the experience to continue playing normally. Your game would not become a "dud" because of some server issues. Your console would not be "blue screen" because its waiting for some update or hotfix.

I think it is time we embrace this hybrid console again. Better graphics and large crowds, sure, but that doesn't mean that if the internet connection goes down you now have a worthless pile of plastic and wires. We should stand against this online-only policy, and let Dual Use Home-Online hybrid consoles and more importantly, Hybrid Games be the wave of the future.

I was at a cotsco not too long ago and looking at a flash drive sale, and the amount of data they can store has grown to terabytes. The notion that we can't make a video game cartridge capable of storing 'the whole game" is bullshit. You need to call them on this. And as for piracy?

The bigger the video games, the harder they are to pirate. You go ahead and try downloading a terabyte tonight. Tell me how many minutes it takes. I'm not saying its impossible, but what I am saying is there's good reasons to have giant games on tiny portable cartridge devices, proprietary or otherwise.

At the end of the day, I just want to be able to turn on my console and plug in my game and saved data and have some fun. I think most people want the same thing. This online only crap has got to go. It may be the trend, but its the wrong trend. Let's make a new trend.

What game honestly needs to take up a ******** terabyte, I mean come on dude, there's multiple problems with that
However
IF
you could rig up something to play it, it'd probably be the best game ever.
Honestly any game focusing exclusively on single player, putting all the money into a single player campaign, that campaign would be so ******** good.

For example, Escape From Butcher Bay was way sick. I felt like I was actually escaping from space prison the whole time.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
I don't get it, myself. 20 years ago, everyone was chomping at the bit, for the ability to play video games multiplayer, without having to have people come over and sit next to each other. The dream was of 2 people (or more) who are actual friends, hopping on a server together, so they can play a round of their favorite games, without having to come over to each other's place.

The reality, however, has become one where people who have no actual social skills, wake up in the morning, hop onto the game of their choice, and dedicate themselves to unhealthy levels, to become some sort of "high roller" for the game, and actively degrade anyone who is not a worthy adversary (typically someone who has actual social skills / employment, and can't or won't dedicate unhealthy levels of attention on said game). This is where the term "noob" as a pejorative came from. That, and young, obnoxious children.

That's not to say that online accessibility in gaming hasn't had its share of genuine uses, as well. I absolutely champion the ability for DLC and updates. 20 years ago, if they released a game that was buggy...the game was just buggy. Spelling errors that live to this day in infamy. Game breaking bugs that people will either avoid like the plague, or seek to find a way to exploit ( "Missingno." ring any bells? ). Hell, they had to make 3 separate releases of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The first revision to remove potentially offensive Islamic references. The second to remove a barely noticeable blood content, during 1 scene in the game...

Today, however, we have the power of DLC to patch these very bugs, without having to recall discs, and rerelease them, or just "leave it be". Back to Zelda, when Skyward Sword released, it had a notorious game breaking bug that surfaces late in the game, even if only under rather extreme circumstances. The response being a free downloadable patch that fixed the issue.

And as I mentioned before, even DLC add-ons are nice, sometimes. They allow you to expand the game beyond the disc, whether it's a new outfit for characters, or new weapons, or even new maps. Even pre-order bonuses. Now this is kind of a double-edge sword, however, as this opens the door for some ridiculous "micro-transactions", that may be overpriced. But that's where the power of capitalism comes in. Nobody is forcing the players to buy them.

So online gaming accessibility is both a blessing and a curse, respectively.
Kaltros
Until I stop paying them, of course, which I have for the past 8 or so years.
here's a comment from some blog about the failure of the PS4 in the Japanese market
Quote:

House went on to explain that when Sony was "evangelizing" the PS4 on the road to release, the company was experiencing a "tougher sell" with Japanese publishers and developers.

"There was a comfort level around PS3 that was playing into that," he said. "There was a slight level of concern around the viability of the console market in Japan."

Another reason the PS4 is struggling somewhat in Japan could come down to something outside of Sony's immediate control: the nature of entertainment streaming services in Japan. Simply put, streaming services are not as popular in Japan, House said, which removes a secondary reason to buy a PS4. "If you look at the Japanese market, for a variety of reasons, you have not seen a dominant player in streaming services happen," House said. "You see an inherent conservatism around film and TV content holders that doesn't allow for the rise of these brand new services. I think that's another factor."

I think it points out a particular type of player, which is more into things like anime I suppose, than superrealistic first person shooters or whatever.When I was at two different game stores last night, I noticed they had ONE anime looking game. Considering the bulk of all modern video game consoles are enormously influenced by the Japanese market, and the ancestry of hundreds and thousands of anime-video game crossovers, it is a bit freakish and xenophobic to see 1 out of a hundred disks fitting into that genre for the PS4. Across the room in the Ps3 section, there were of course a few more, maybe half a dozen, but basically, when I asked for an anime game and the dude at the store said something like "Well, what about this DC heroes game?" you can probably guess my WTF moment.

As to the terabyte, there's nothing particularly magical about the number. There is no specific number that makes a game hard to download or awesome to play. It is a symbolic 'zillion' that represents "a full sized game world" that is on a single disk/cartridge that has enough content to keep someone occupied for hundreds of hours or more, but also by virtue of being so big, is unwieldy to download. Anything unwieldy to download but highly portable and affordable is likely to be purchased rather than pirated. I'm not saying I want to make pirate proof games, I'm just saying I want games that aren't download dependent. I don't want to log in as a default requirement to play. That makes sense if I want to play online, but I don't want every game to require a log in just to play it, especially considering the number of people you actually interact with are often about the same number of people you can stick in your living room.

Fact is, people online dont give a s**t about whatever fantasy experience you thought to have in an online game. They want to race to end game content, beat it, then quit. What they want from you is to get out of the way, help them beat the game faster, or someone to flirt with. Thats not the emersive experience that MMOs were originally intended to provide. Actually it is less enjoyable than having that friend on the couch with the second controller.

New content has to be able to be playable with no internet connection. It isn't that online content is bad, or that the internet connections should be removed from consoles, but I dont want some online voodoo mucking up my saved data, screwing up my screen interface, or updating to a worse user interface or "balance" at the same time I just figured out something I liked. all that crap can stay in the online environment, but keep it out of my living room offline content. and definitely, it is stupid that single player games still require logging into an online network, or require passwords etc. to access.

anyone with the skill to destroy or hack the network can get your password. That's like believing a guy who can afford oranges cant afford apples.
It's probably going to be a future with no consoles. This generation has been lackluster in console sales while PC gaming surpassed it.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
God Emperor Baldur
It's probably going to be a future with no consoles. This generation has been lackluster in console sales while PC gaming surpassed it.

Or a future where all "gaming" is replaced by Farmville and Candy Crush-esque games on the social network du jour.

You must remember, the industry recently complained that gaming is dead, and the only gamers what remain are the kind of person that have no place in a modern, civilised society, and as such, it is wrong to support their hobby.

Also? Those Facebook games are the dominant force in the market, not Console or PC games.
Interesting.
Keltoi Samurai
God Emperor Baldur

Or a future where all "gaming" is replaced by Farmville and Candy Crush-esque games on the social network du jour.

You must remember, the industry recently complained that gaming is dead, and the only gamers what remain are the kind of person that have no place in a modern, civilised society, and as such, it is wrong to support their hobby.

Also? Those Facebook games are the dominant force in the market, not Console or PC games.

Of course mobile games are much more popular, but mobile games cannot play console games. PC's however are not only used by everyone, they can play games that are made for console.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
God Emperor Baldur
Keltoi Samurai
God Emperor Baldur

Of course mobile games are much more popular, but mobile games cannot play console games. PC's however are not only used by everyone, they can play games that are made for console.

They can, but they probably won't much longer, since the real money is in mobile "free-to-play" games with microtransactions. Nobody's gonna cater to the PC gamer market, especially since even the PC is starting to go the way of the dinosaur.

PCs aren't the hot internet look-at device anymore. More people are choosing to just use their phones, or get a tablet, and as you pointed out, these devices can't play your style of games, so where does that leave you?

Add to that the fact that all a PC can do that a phone or tablet can't is play modern console-style games, and the fact that modern console-style games were given a bad reputation by the whole "Gamer Gate" fiasco, and you find that the whole PC Supremacy thing is really just clinging to a sinking ship in the hopes that the ocean just decides to stop swallowing it.

Face it, man. Your PC Master Race is just as dead as console gamers, you just don't realise it yet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff