Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can you quit physically addictive drugs without help?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 9, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

So, it's a popularly-held notion that drugs are the refuge of the weak. Common opinion states that the majority of people use drugs because they are too-weak willed to deal with the world at first, and then too weak-willed to quit. And, of course, they remain strung out under the delusion that they can quit whenever they want, despite the existence of a very real physical addiction. (That's right kids, I'm NOT talking about weed.)

From cigarettes to cocaine, these drug users have become physically dependent on their substance of choice to the point where quitting appears to be no longer an option. Society pities them for what they have done to themselves and even despises them, but offers little in the way of help other than so-called rehab centers.

Right now, I would like to shine a spotlight on an unspoken-of minority. The strong-willing drug user who really CAN quit whenever he wants. The user who can put down his pipe or his needle, suffer withdrawal for a period of days or weeks, and then finally be free of the addiction.

I don't think I've seen a single movie, safety ed, or thread ever acknowledge this fact.

And if it really IS just a matter of willpower, of mind over matter, then could the problem not be cured by supplying medication to rehab patients, but instead by teaching them to focus their will?

Discuss.
I've never done drugs in my life, but even with that in mind I can safely answer "No" to that poll. People who quit without help really are pretty strong, amazing people, regardless of whether or not you condone their addiction in the first place.
Willpower is very strong when a person knows how to bring that out in themselves but drugs do have a good hold.
I smoked cigarettes for a short time. I didn't like it so I quit. I don't remember how long I did it, but I know I can measure the time in weeks pretty easily. The problem with that though is that I will sometimes get craving for a cigarette even after two years. They are very addicting but I can thankful hold back my cravings. They recently have stopped popping up in my life altogether after I had a cigarette and it caused me to have big troubles breathing for the next few days. So now I can make a craving go away the second I feel it coming up.
I must say that you are right... to a point.
If the person who was addicted was a strong follower of Christ who had a strong will power, I think that they could get over an addiction with no humanly help.

However, in most cases: people need help conquering their addiction.
It isn't really that hard, I have smoked and I have quit with out a problem.
I have a ginger problem, so many little men died this year.

Serious answer: I agree. I find people who have that kind of self control to be amazing, weither it be drugs or even things that are less serious. As for why you've never seen a topic like this, it's probably because people seem to enjoy talking about the suffering of others, but happiness and triumph are trite.
Depression is cool, and if you laugh and smile it means you are abviously not "with it".
I have never done drugs, but from i have heard, you cant just quit like that. like *flicks fingers*...it cant be done that fast. example being smoking, you cant just stop, u have cravings and they drive you insane.

but for some people, it's easy to stop, but they still need help ,whether they think they do or dont.
Alysia Angee
I have never done drugs, but from i have heard, you cant just quit like that. like *flicks fingers*...it cant be done that fast. example being smoking, you cant just stop, u have cravings and they drive you insane.

but for some people, it's easy to stop, but they still need help ,whether they think they do or dont.

Cigarettes ... all I can say is, I asked my boyfriend to quit. He was a real b***h to be around for about a week, and after that things were fine. He still enjoys them from time to time, but he's not addicted anymore.
I have done drugs, Weed-acid-pills-shrooms-coke and I have managed to quit it all. No rehab necessary. I had to turn myself around or I would lose the people I love and value the most. Granted I am only 16, I was able to catch myself before years and years went down the road. I started using drugs in 6th grade, and I am now in 10th. I didn't need any help from doctors or professional. I just had myself and a few good friends that didn't do drugs that wanted me to be safe and clean, people I had only known a couple days wanted me off the drugs. I couldn't and wouldn't allow myself to get close to people still can't but I am working on it with each passing day. I have only been clean 2 months now and I have major withdraws and flashbacks and it makes me want to stay farther away from it each time they happen.
celbelrai
I must say that you are right... to a point.
If the person who was addicted was a strong follower of Christ who had a strong will power, I think that they could get over an addiction with no humanly help.

However, in most cases: people need help conquering their addiction.

Eh, yes, if this person was strongly religious that might be a slight help. But, not only 'followers of Christ', and, Christians, on average, aren't really more strong-willed than others...

I would probably agree with what most people have said so far, that thinking that you can quit at any time is a delusion.
I realized that I was going too far when the GOddess gave me a few warnings.

First: Alcohol.

I got smashed at a party, as usualy, and my dad almost ran me over with his two ton work truck. Looking at 36 inch tires after they stop a inch from your head is a wake up call.

Second: Drugs.

Sadly, it wasnt anything as jolting, but just as bad. I took a bad hit of esctasy, that s**t left my entire body in utter and sheer pain for a WEEK. After that, i was like "******** this s**t.: And I never touched it again.
I think people can quit it is just whether they want to or not.
i smoke pot not cuz im weak.. i smoke it cuz it gives me a great feeling and puts me in a party mood
Tilizdreamz
I have done drugs, Weed-acid-pills-shrooms-coke and I have managed to quit it all. No rehab necessary. I had to turn myself around or I would lose the people I love and value the most. Granted I am only 16, I was able to catch myself before years and years went down the road. I started using drugs in 6th grade, and I am now in 10th. I didn't need any help from doctors or professional. I just had myself and a few good friends that didn't do drugs that wanted me to be safe and clean, people I had only known a couple days wanted me off the drugs. I couldn't and wouldn't allow myself to get close to people still can't but I am working on it with each passing day. I have only been clean 2 months now and I have major withdraws and flashbacks and it makes me want to stay farther away from it each time they happen.

^^ first off GOOD JOB biggrin but I myself have done drugs for years, sinse, well I was fourteen, and i tried a bit in the sixth grade. However I am not a drug ADDICT, I believe tomorrow that if I quit it would be hard to stay away just becasue it's a good time but i could do it, and will do it soon for the fact that i want to live a normal healthy life. Also now i have a family member who is ten years older and very addicted. To the point where it has cost this person everything they have and still they can not look back. Half their life has been drug use but only now has it taken a real hold, this person has been in rehab, detox, therapy, u name it, he's been there, and still nothing can help.. IN the daytime this person really wants to stop but by night the cravings take over, to the point where it isn't your life anymore, I don't know what can help a person in this situation unless they are sent to an island with absolutely no chance of getting drugs. Simple willpower can not take away this addiction. So please, if anyone has any ideas/or experiences/ advice, on how to help this person, i'm all ears
Biowolf van Munster
i smoke pot not cuz im weak.. i smoke it cuz it gives me a great feeling and puts me in a party mood

Dude, go lift some weights if thats what you want to feel. Go play a few rounds of DDR, go play some shooting games at the arcade. Yes, you are weak. You murder your brain cells so you can get in a good mood? ******** dude, find another way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff