Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can you quit physically addictive drugs without help?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 9, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Mcphee
Biowolf van Munster
Mcphee
Noire Nightraine
Biowolf van Munster
your wrong.. my country believes that everything a personw ants to do and doesnt harm others shouldnt be banned..

and i still dont know why you call me a moron... give me 1 good reason
See that's because you've used drugs and they've killed your brain cells and my statements aren't being comprehended with your rotted brain.

Good for your country! You're ******** yourselves up! Enjoy your addled lives while you still have them. Here, we believe and know drugs are harmful to ourselves AND others. Therefore is banned.

Look, Noire. Perhaps you shouldn't actively condemn him like he's an idiot. I mean, haven't you ever been there, at the end of a bottle, or at the end of a pipe? Have you bothered to even understand why he does the things he does?

If not, I think that you just can't understand him. I mean, you haven't been there, and obviously, you don't want to be.

But don't condemn him like he doesn't deserve respect-- because he does.

from the look of your post your also against pot.. but i respect you
you have respect for my things i have respect for yours
this is how the world should be.. and not yelling at eachother cuz we're different
not like that narrow minded jerk over there

@noire: who is the moron now??? you sound like a small child: me me me

Well, if you read my post on the second page, it says that I've smoked pot actively for a year, but quit nine months ago.

I respect those who get high, because I've been there. But I don't do it anymore. For two reasons really: 1.No contacts, and 2. No real reason.

I did it before to sort of escape the sadness of my own life, but I'm not so sad anymore. So I guess I don't need it.

But everytime I smell it, it brings back pleasant memories.

thats the whole thing... theres nothing negative about it (if you use it wisely)

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Noire Nightraine
Mcphee
Look, Noire. Perhaps you shouldn't actively condemn him like he's an idiot. I mean, haven't you ever been there, at the end of a bottle, or at the end of a pipe? Have you bothered to even understand why he does the things he does?

If not, I think that you just can't understand him. I mean, you haven't been there, and obviously, you don't want to be.

No, I haven't. Because I don't want to destroy my body and mind for a short, quick "happy high". That's, in my opinion, which I'm allowed to have and state as an American, a ******** up choice.

And yes, I understand. I've had drug using friends. I've also seen how it hurts, and how it KILLS. I understand better than you'd like to think. And don't think all my experiences with drugs have been bad. They haven't. But I think the evil outweighs the good.

You've had drug using friends. That matters for nothing. I had smoked pot for nearly a year before I quit just nine months ago. I did it because there was no one there to be my friend, and no one there that I could put my trust in, or confide in. I'm positive that, If I hadn't smoked drugs, I would be dead. It was, in a sense, my socially acceptable anti-depressant. I smoked myself stupid until I couldn't think or feel, but those were my choices.

Maybe the situations you have witnessed were sad sights, but I was smoking myself through a horribly sad time in my life. I could have done that, or killed myself.

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Biowolf van Munster
Mcphee
Biowolf van Munster
Mcphee
Noire Nightraine
Biowolf van Munster
your wrong.. my country believes that everything a personw ants to do and doesnt harm others shouldnt be banned..

and i still dont know why you call me a moron... give me 1 good reason
See that's because you've used drugs and they've killed your brain cells and my statements aren't being comprehended with your rotted brain.

Good for your country! You're ******** yourselves up! Enjoy your addled lives while you still have them. Here, we believe and know drugs are harmful to ourselves AND others. Therefore is banned.

from the look of your post your also against pot.. but i respect you
you have respect for my things i have respect for yours
this is how the world should be.. and not yelling at eachother cuz we're different
not like that narrow minded jerk over there

@noire: who is the moron now??? you sound like a small child: me me me

Well, if you read my post on the second page, it says that I've smoked pot actively for a year, but quit nine months ago.

I respect those who get high, because I've been there. But I don't do it anymore. For two reasons really: 1.No contacts, and 2. No real reason.

I did it before to sort of escape the sadness of my own life, but I'm not so sad anymore. So I guess I don't need it.

But everytime I smell it, it brings back pleasant memories.

thats the whole thing... theres nothing negative about it (if you use it wisely)

I would tend to agree with that.

Everything in moderation, really.
I have been able to quit using physically addictive substances by myself. I honestly can't recommend it, but it is possible. I have had a lot of experience and I am more knowledgeable than most, I suppose. If I developed a problem again I would definitely quit on my own. Three times in rehab during my teenage years was enough, thanks. I still retain what I learned there, so I can apply this to my life without needing to be locked up.

In order to stay free from dependence, I moderate my intake accordingly. The key for me is to keep in mind that in all cases physical dependance is first preceeded by a psychological dependence. For instance, anyone using opiates more than twice a week is really asking for trouble. I stay away from cocaine, I loathe MDMA anyway, and I only smoke cannabis when my friends offer it. Weed is less addictive than the other drugs mentioned, but it sets up negative patterns for me. I'm a polysubstance kind of guy, and therefore need to limit the amount of any depressant/stimulant drugs that I take, lest I start needing "something" every day. I even limit the amount of coffee I drink. For me, hallucinogens (apart from MDMA which I personally don't like and therefore don't ever use, but that's another story entirely) don't seem to be a part of this scheme; they just don't seem to trigger any cravings or potentiate addictions. In fact they've provided the insight necessary on a few occasions for me to cease certain negative behaviors.

The worst problems I have ever had are alcohol and cigarettes.
I've cut down on my drinking recently, with good results.

Someone mentioned faith being a factor earlier in this thread. Statistically speaking, those addicts who have faith in some sort of higher power are more likely to successfully abstain, if the desire to live clean is there. It doesn't matter what faith one chooses, as long as it is a belief in a power greater than onesself. During times when I choose to become completely abstinent from all drugs, I find myself becoming more and more attuned to spiritual things. It helps to fill the void.

Again, this is just my perspective on the issue.
What works for me might very well kill someone else. gonk
For the average joe, rehab is the best way to go, IMO.
Mcphee
Noire Nightraine
Mcphee

No, I haven't. Because I don't want to destroy my body and mind for a short, quick "happy high". That's, in my opinion, which I'm allowed to have and state as an American, a ******** up choice.

And yes, I understand. I've had drug using friends. I've also seen how it hurts, and how it KILLS. I understand better than you'd like to think. And don't think all my experiences with drugs have been bad. They haven't. But I think the evil outweighs the good.

You've had drug using friends. That matters for nothing. I had smoked pot for nearly a year before I quit just nine months ago. I did it because there was no one there to be my friend, and no one there that I could put my trust in, or confide in. I'm positive that, If I hadn't smoked drugs, I would be dead. It was, in a sense, my socially acceptable anti-depressant. I smoked myself stupid until I couldn't think or feel, but those were my choices.

Maybe the situations you have witnessed were sad sights, but I was smoking myself through a horribly sad time in my life. I could have done that, or killed myself.

and its not the pot that makes some people a lil "odd"
it depends on the person.. just like with alcohol.. one person takes it better then other

i know a person that when he drinks he beats everything into tiny peaces
but i know another one that wouldn't hurt a fly when he has been drinking

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Well, my opinion is that it's wrong to condemn someone for choices they've made.

After all, those were their choices, and they shouldn't have to make apologies for what they felt was right at the time. That's unfair.
Mcphee
*snip*
Actually, I'm quite PROUD that I never felt the need to turn to drugs to make myself feel better or make my life easier to bear. If there was a need, I would have done something like 95% of Americans and sought counseling and legal anti-depressants. Who says prozac isn't a socially acceptable anti-depressant.

I count that as a huge deal, thank you very much.
Noire Nightraine
Mcphee
*snip*
Actually, I'm quite PROUD that I never felt the need to turn to drugs to make myself feel better or make my life easier to bear. If there was a need, I would have done something like 95% of Americans and sought counseling and legal anti-depressants. Who says prozac isn't a socially acceptable anti-depressant.

but you dont respect other peoples visions on things... that makes you a bad person.. how do you feel about that???
I'd reccomend to people who are addicted to drug or alchohol should seek help from N.A. or A.A, my mom had a bad drug and beer addiction problem and she went there, with help from them shes been going 2 years without drug or alchohol.... hopefully this is a suitable answer for this thread.... sweatdrop
Biowolf van Munster
but you dont respect other peoples visions on things... that makes you a bad person.. how do you feel about that???
I don't have to respect a persons choice to do drugs, because I personally feel it's a dumb decision in the first place. You don't respect me for my own view, thus making you just as bad as I. I can have all the respect in the world for someone, but I can detest with every ounce of me their choice of recreation.

And I don't have to explain that to you, because I'm a person with complex inner morals and thoughts, like most every other person, and dont' have the straight black and white sense of perception you think i should have and need to answer that.
(x)Raven(x)
I'd reccomend to people who are addicted to drug or alchohol should seek help from N.A. or A.A, my mom had a bad drug and beer addiction problem and she went there, with help from them shes been going 2 years without drug or alchohol.... hopefully this is a suitable answer for this thread.... sweatdrop

but i dont want to quit stare
if someone can convince me (WITH REAL FACT) that i shouldnt use pot ill quit.. what do you guys think of that

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Noire Nightraine
Mcphee
*snip*

I think it's great that you've never turned to drugs. However, at the time, I would need to explain to my parents (not the most open-minded people) that I needed anti-depressants, and I didn't want to do that. Instead, I turned to my cousin to help me find weed. I achieved my goal, ultimately. I found a form of happiness, and that was all I wanted. Even if it was a form of deluding myself to be happy.

But again, those were my choices. And like I respect and admire your decision not to do drugs, you should respect my decision at that time to turn to something that I thought would help.

I mean, how can you judge someone for something they can't change? That's like judging me for being gay, in a sense. Not saying that you are judging me, just thinking aloud about how people judge others for the choices they've made.
Noire Nightraine
Biowolf van Munster
I don't have to respect a persons choice to do drugs, because I personally feel it's a dumb decision in the first place. You don't respect me for my own view, thus making you just as bad as I. I can have all the respect in the world for someone, but I can detest with every ounce of me their choice of recreation.

And I don't have to explain that to you, because I'm a person with complex inner morals and thoughts, like most every other person, and dont' have the straight black and white sense of perception you think i should have and need to answer that.

i respect you for your vieuw.. i dont mind people being against drugs... but dont call me a moron if you dont know anything about me
in your eyes all pot smokers are morons... thats narrowminded
Mcphee
But again, those were my choices. And like I respect and admire your decision not to do drugs, you should respect my decision at that time to turn to something that I thought would help.
As I said, I don't think that turning to drugs as a way of relieving stress is something to be respected. The ability to make your choice asyou wanted is something to be respected, but what you end up choosing is subjective.
Biowolf van Munster
(x)Raven(x)

but i dont want to quit stare
if someone can convince me (WITH REAL FACT) that i shouldnt use pot ill quit.. what do you guys think of that
So you don't care your killing your brain everytime you smoke it... which leads to other problems?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff