Welcome to Gaia! ::

Marida Cruz
The Second Amendment has nothing to do with race. The use of "state" instead of "country" is because the framers were not fond of strong centralized government and believed the Unites States was a union of sovereign individual states acting in concert to form a nation (like a marriage). As to the argument about the people vs militia. Every man from 18-45 was a part of the "irregular militia." In legal sense they still are. The idea being that every man has a responsibility to defend the state and its people from aggression. The people were the militia.

I don't often quote just to say "that's right, i agree" but when i do, it's because it's one of the rare occasions somebody on gaia has their head squarely on their shoulders, and not firmly up their own a**.

Bravo.
HMS Thunder Child
Project 429
Jeez, is the favorite meaningless slur of the political left also associated with the least favorite amendment of the political left?

OH LOOK, THERE SEEMS TO BE A CONNECTION

LITERALLY NO ONE COULD HAVE GUESSED IT
[Frank]

It is interesting to note that when the Black Panthers started actively enjoying that right, the political right was suddenly all in favor of gun control.

I work in the Sporting Goods dept. at a rural California Wal-Mart. It is hard for me not to want inform the various elderly white people that complain about liberals and their "gun grabbing," that the Immortal God Emperor of American Conservatism Ronald Reagan passed our states first gun control laws.
Jessi Danger
HMS Thunder Child
Project 429
Jeez, is the favorite meaningless slur of the political left also associated with the least favorite amendment of the political left?

OH LOOK, THERE SEEMS TO BE A CONNECTION

LITERALLY NO ONE COULD HAVE GUESSED IT
[Frank]

It is interesting to note that when the Black Panthers started actively enjoying that right, the political right was suddenly all in favor of gun control.

I work in the Sporting Goods dept. at a rural California Wal-Mart. It is hard for me not to want inform the various elderly white people that complain about liberals and their "gun grabbing," that the Immortal God Emperor of American Conservatism Ronald Reagan passed our states first gun control laws.

You should also tell those same people that Ronald Reagan was also one of the most protectionist post-war Presidents when it came to trade.
Guns are not evil, Republicans are.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
God Emperor Baldur
Guns are not evil, Politicians are.

Fix'd.

Only in America would we call our system of governance "Politics:" "Poly," coming from the Greek, meaning "Many," and Ticks being small, bloodsucking arachnids

Romantic Businessman

6,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
The second amendment isn't what's allowing for the widespread racism. Its the way that this amendment has been handled. Its no secret that its more difficult for minorities to acquire firearms than white people. What conservatives fail to realize about the 2nd amendment, is the fact that it was written in the time of muskets and bayonets, not assault rifles and RPG's. In other words, progressive gun control policies are indeed needed in this day in age. Otherwise, people might as well be walking around with nukes.
Doitsu Rutovihhi
The second amendment isn't what's allowing for the widespread racism. Its the way that this amendment has been handled. Its no secret that its more difficult for minorities to acquire firearms than white people. What conservatives fail to realize about the 2nd amendment, is the fact that it was written in the time of muskets and bayonets, not assault rifles and RPG's. In other words, progressive gun control policies are indeed needed in this day in age. Otherwise, people might as well be walking around with nukes.

When you find me someone who can carry a nuke, get back to me.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Doitsu Rutovihhi

It was written when the musket and bayonet were the pinnacle of man-portable infantry weaponry, yeah?

So, in an era where the pinnacle of infantry weaponry is the musket and bayonet, if one gives the common man the right to keep and bear muskets and bayonets, then is one not showing a clear intent to give the common man the right to keep and bear the best infantry weapons available?

Also, your rant kinda lost focus. I mean, "it's more difficult for minorities to get weapons, and that's because the weapons are more sophisticated than what the framers envisioned?"

If anything, it's more difficult for minorities to get weapons because of laws signed into effect by LBJ making it a crime for felons to be armed. Of course, the obvious solution to that would be to stop giving harsher convictions to minorities, but that seems like it'd take rather more doing than overturning LBJ's "keep guns away from blacks" laws.
People do use the second amendment for disharmonious means and the amendment itself may have debatable origins, but the truth still remains that an armed population is the most valuable tool for expressing the efficacy of the non-ruling class.

Do people use it for bad? Probably.
But it's the peoples actions that are bad, not the law.
Dermezel2

It reminds me of a quote from Jessica Williams on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. "The 'stand your ground' defense is like bleach, it works miracles for whites, but it will ruin your colors."

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
hahahalolwutccl
Doitsu Rutovihhi

When you find me someone who can carry a nuke, get back to me.

Look up the M-29 Davy Crockett.
Doitsu Rutovihhi

The gun control policies in place are already effective. For some one to own a true assault rifle which is a rifle capable of fully automatic or burst fire they have to go through extensive background checks obtain a class three license and the necessary tax stamps for a nfa controlled firearm. What the media calls an assault rifle is a catch all term they use for any ar platform or semiautomatic rifle. It is extremely hard to obtain a fully auto firearm let alone a rpg any destructive device is highly illegal and not easily obtained by any law abiding citizen. I think that the current level of gun control is sufficient and should not be expanded upon at the federal or state level. As to the op I am a Black man that owns several firearms I live in an open carry state and I practice that right daily and never have I had my right to bear arms infringed upon in anyway. I also do not worry that if i had to use my weapon in self defense would the color of my skin have a negative impact on my trail.
It is obvious it cannot even really protect you. Several times, when I encounter Fascists and Radicals, it is used against me, and I have to talk my way out of it. I have never seen it used by organized mobs for freedom.
Spike_Flair
People do use the second amendment for disharmonious means and the amendment itself may have debatable origins, but the truth still remains that an armed population is the most valuable tool for expressing the efficacy of the non-ruling class.

Like an armed citizenry means anything to the ruling class.
The rose in spring
Spike_Flair

Like an armed citizenry means anything to the ruling class.

Look at what's going on in Ukraine or Syria. Look at the harmonic structure of Switzerland. What do you think kept the Japanese from invading the US during WW2?
Of course an armed, centralized government will have things like jets, tanks, and drones that could easily defeat any resistance, but it's not about defeating the government, it's about showing them that people are still willing to resist the oppression of tyrants and that it's not worth any governments time to try and oppress people who aren't willing to be oppressed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff